Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique 08:11 - Jul 26 with 42378 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Bienvenue mes amis!

Will be glued to the screen for the next few weeks, watching anything and everything. The Olympics are my favourite sporting event ever since I got hooked on the 1972 games.

Arrived in Paris yesterday. Amazing to see so many French people smiling, being polite, and offering service without the Gallic shrug of indifference!

I know Derby is up next week, anyone else visiting? If so, lets reserve tables at the Georges V and push on from there.

Allez les Brits!!

Edit: weather not looking good for the OC tonight.
[Post edited 26 Jul 8:20]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:36 - Jul 31 with 1901 viewsSydneyRs

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 01:13 - Jul 31 by SydneyRs

That race was fantastic. How he got back after the puncture I just don't know. Incredible performance.

Even when the French guy attacked and retook the lead near the end it looked like the effort in closing the gap might have been too much for him to win but he took it out in stunning style. Best thing I've watched so far at this Olympics and it will be hard to top.

The French booing was just the icing on the cake. Their guy was gifted a 40 second lead due to bad luck for Pidcock and still couldn't beat him. How the hell do they ride that course at that speed and stay on a bike!

After some poor fortune in the swimming (missing out on two golds by a cumulative 0.04 seconds), great to see us dominate the relay this morning. And now I hear Peaty has covid which would have certainly affected him and by more than the 0.02 seconds he missed out by.

GB motoring now with some good chances coming up in the rowing finals and the Aus medal accumulation to fall off a cliff as usual once the swimming ends!
[Post edited 31 Jul 4:24]

Turns out I was wrong, the mountain biking could be topped. Alex Yee, unbelievable finish to win! How? Just how? Looked absolutely done and then that. Fantastic.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:39 - Jul 31 with 1873 viewsLandshark

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:36 - Jul 31 by SydneyRs

Turns out I was wrong, the mountain biking could be topped. Alex Yee, unbelievable finish to win! How? Just how? Looked absolutely done and then that. Fantastic.

I thought he was going to get pipped by the French that were chasing. I turned around for a second and he clawed back the deficit to overtake the Kiwi. Unbelievable where he found that extra energy from.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:40 - Jul 31 with 1865 viewsEastR

14 seconds down coming into the last lap of 2.5km and that gap looked the same right up to probably the last 1k. Shame we didn't get to see that part of the chase down. Terrible tv coverage for both races

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:45 - Jul 31 with 1843 viewsloftboy

And what a performance from the women rowers

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:45 - Jul 31 with 1839 viewsLandshark

Another comeback from the women rowers. Wow. I didn't see that with 200m to go.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:48 - Jul 31 with 1820 viewsSydneyRs

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:45 - Jul 31 by Landshark

Another comeback from the women rowers. Wow. I didn't see that with 200m to go.

Now the rowers do an Alex Yee to win by inches, scenes!
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:51 - Jul 31 with 1801 viewsRangersw12

What an amazing 30 mins it's been

Can't believe we snatched those two golds
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:53 - Jul 31 with 1791 viewsSnipper

I was slating the GB rowers 200 metres to go. Then they go on to win with the last stroke by 0.15 of a second.

About time we won a hundredths of seconds close finish in these Olympics.
Login to get fewer ads

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:57 - Jul 31 with 1772 viewshantssi

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:56 - Jul 26 by Ranger_Things

The surfers in Tahiti had a proper touch.

Since when has Tahiti been in Paris?!
I thought Weymouth was a bit of a stretch from London but this takes the biscuit!
Loads of great surfing on the west coast of France as well!
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:13 - Jul 31 with 1670 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:33 - Jul 31 by Snipper

Fantastic performance from Alex Yee.

The French director needs shooting as we very nearly missed it. In fact we missed the chase down until he was 10 metres from the leader.

Stupid French wánker.

Some of the coverage of both races was really poor.

Just been up walking around the course, and its bloody hot and incredibly humid.

However, thats not what you need to know, it's a cry of 'You Rs' from a lad and dad I bumped into.

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 14:41 - Jul 31 with 1552 viewsQPR_Hibs

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:13 - Jul 31 by PlanetHonneywood

Some of the coverage of both races was really poor.

Just been up walking around the course, and its bloody hot and incredibly humid.

However, thats not what you need to know, it's a cry of 'You Rs' from a lad and dad I bumped into.

On the BBC, the triathlon was on iPlayer/red button for an hour an a half and then they basically went off to the rowing with 10 minutes left. Had to switch over to BBC1, which is no big deal really but I thought it was a weird thing to do.

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 15:12 - Jul 31 with 1497 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 14:41 - Jul 31 by QPR_Hibs

On the BBC, the triathlon was on iPlayer/red button for an hour an a half and then they basically went off to the rowing with 10 minutes left. Had to switch over to BBC1, which is no big deal really but I thought it was a weird thing to do.

Lucky you!

Sat watching it and it looked like the Frenchie was catching Yee and we then cut to 10 minutes of crap including: how to charge your car; forestry fire warnings; and detailed weather through to Saturday including the French dominions of Reunion and Mayote! I kid you not.

Given the ending and how Yee won, the post-race focus was on the exceptional bronze the French guy won.

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 15:28 - Jul 31 with 1480 viewsRanger_Things

Silver for Kieran Reilly. He’s bound to be gutted because the gold was on but I think it was a fair result. The overall standard was immense and the progression isn’t slowing down at all. God knows what tricks these guys will be doing in 10/20 years time.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 16:38 - Jul 31 with 1407 viewsR_from_afar

That sort of thing is maddening, isn't it?

I was watching GB number one mens table tennis player Liam Pitchford on terrestrial, then, ironically considering what you wrote, with Pitchford back in contention at 2-3 in the first to four match, the Beeb moved the table tennis coverage to the i-Player and focused on part of the triathlon...part of the triathlon which had not actually started

By the time I got the TT on the i-Player, another game had flashed past.

Pitchford lost 2-4 in the round of 32 clash, but then I always suspected he would because he was up against a tremendous player in the Slovenian Darko Jorgic (13th seed, Pitchford was 25th seed). Jorgic hit one backhand flick like a rocket, hard, low and very fast, but with virtually no arm movement. Top shot. Pitchford did give him a real game, though.

A weird thing with Jorgic is that between games, his coach always has loads to say to him but he never looks the coach in the eye. Unusual.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 22:58 - Jul 31 with 1246 viewsNed_Kennedys

BBC coverage is terrible: pretty much two channels on iPlayer including whatever terrestrial channel they are flicking between. Turns out they have not got the full rights to cover everything: in the UK it’s all on Discovery+ who are currently doing a intro offer of £3.99 a month so that’s me sorted for a month or two before cancelling.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 07:17 - Aug 1 with 1111 viewsGus_iom

The IBA statement about the two males identifying as women in the Olympic boxing competition is pretty damning. When banned by the IBA, one didn't appeal while the second quickly dropped their appeal.
The Olympic organisation condoning men hitting women is a disgrace.
This issue can be as black and white, or as grey, as you want to make it. If you produce male gametes, you are a male.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 09:42 - Aug 1 with 1022 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 22:58 - Jul 31 by Ned_Kennedys

BBC coverage is terrible: pretty much two channels on iPlayer including whatever terrestrial channel they are flicking between. Turns out they have not got the full rights to cover everything: in the UK it’s all on Discovery+ who are currently doing a intro offer of £3.99 a month so that’s me sorted for a month or two before cancelling.

To be fair to the Beeb, maybe they are stuck with what the French TV is feeding them. Reading here yesterday what those based in the UK were saying about the coverage of the Triathlon, mirrored my watching in France: all over the place!

The local coverage is akin to what I saw while in the US during the 92 games. You'd be forgiven for thinking only Yanks (and now French) were the only competitors taking part.

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:07 - Aug 1 with 909 viewsHayesender

A biological male has just beaten up a woman in the boxing ring, causing the Italian woman to quit before she was either seriously hurt, or worse killed. Can't wait to see how the BBC report this one on their highlights reel later

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:17 - Aug 1 with 853 viewsMonkey_Roots

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:07 - Aug 1 by Hayesender

A biological male has just beaten up a woman in the boxing ring, causing the Italian woman to quit before she was either seriously hurt, or worse killed. Can't wait to see how the BBC report this one on their highlights reel later

Disgusting.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:23 - Aug 1 with 820 viewsconnell10

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:07 - Aug 1 by Hayesender

It's a joke mate and pretty disgusting to be honest!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:26 - Aug 1 with 808 viewshantssi

I watched the Men’s All Round Gymnastics last night (my daughter is a coach) and was disappointed that they “only” finished 5th & 7th!
It’s actually an amazing achievement to get 2 men to the finals bearing in mind it wasn’t that long ago we didn’t even have 1 gymnast representing us at the games!
A couple of them will certainly be in contention for a medal which is an amazing achievement bearing in mind the low starting point!
My daughter was telling me about the amount of young lads now wanting to get into it!
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:33 - Aug 1 with 761 viewsSydneyRs

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 09:42 - Aug 1 by PlanetHonneywood

To be fair to the Beeb, maybe they are stuck with what the French TV is feeding them. Reading here yesterday what those based in the UK were saying about the coverage of the Triathlon, mirrored my watching in France: all over the place!

The local coverage is akin to what I saw while in the US during the 92 games. You'd be forgiven for thinking only Yanks (and now French) were the only competitors taking part.

It can be a nightmare in the host nation, as they don't have to qualify and can enter every event regardless of whether they are any good.

Sydney in 2000 was absolutely awful in terms of TV coverage and this was in pre VPN days when there was no alternative. Australia even in away Olympics is desperately and quite insecurely obsessed with medal counts, but the home games was pretty unbearable at times.
[Post edited 1 Aug 23:16]
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:36 - Aug 1 with 747 viewsSydneyRs

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:26 - Aug 1 by hantssi

I watched the Men’s All Round Gymnastics last night (my daughter is a coach) and was disappointed that they “only” finished 5th & 7th!
It’s actually an amazing achievement to get 2 men to the finals bearing in mind it wasn’t that long ago we didn’t even have 1 gymnast representing us at the games!
A couple of them will certainly be in contention for a medal which is an amazing achievement bearing in mind the low starting point!
My daughter was telling me about the amount of young lads now wanting to get into it!

With a lot of the sports you only see at the Olympics there's a good reason why nobody normally watches them. Gymnastics though is always a highlight for me and GB has done very well in recent games.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:39 - Aug 1 with 730 viewsHayesender

I'm trying to make sense of the sailing atm. Looks like organised chaos to my untrained eye

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:49 - Aug 1 with 702 viewsStJude82

I am boycotting the whole lot after the devil worshipping opening ceremony and now the trans-fascism in the ring. Utterly sickening.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024