Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh Tourism 10:58 - Jul 17 with 47448 viewsDr_Winston

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jul/16/huge-market-untapped-lack-of-vis

Already on its knees in recent years thanks to the Welsh Govts unnecessarily heavy Covid restrictions, refusal to deal with M4 congestion and seeming intention to actually make getting around in Wales even harder. To top that off we've still got the mooted tourist tax to come.

Is there anything in this country that they can't screw up?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Welsh Tourism on 17:50 - Jul 22 with 1282 viewsmajorraglan

Welsh Tourism on 13:13 - Jul 22 by Gwyn737

Which they were only able to do via a toll funded bridge.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2023 13:17]

I’d have kept the tolls, but made the fees lower and used the cash to build a relief road around the Brynglas tunnels. Once said road was built and paid for or the funds were in place from other areas of the budget to complete the work I’d have removed the tolls.
Welsh Tourism on 18:15 - Jul 22 with 1262 viewsGwyn737

Welsh Tourism on 17:50 - Jul 22 by majorraglan

I’d have kept the tolls, but made the fees lower and used the cash to build a relief road around the Brynglas tunnels. Once said road was built and paid for or the funds were in place from other areas of the budget to complete the work I’d have removed the tolls.

Now that’s a good idea 👍
Welsh Tourism on 18:25 - Jul 22 with 1254 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh Tourism on 17:50 - Jul 22 by majorraglan

Why not just take the money that was offered for the relief road.
Welsh Tourism on 18:37 - Jul 22 with 1232 viewsjohnlangy

Welsh Tourism on 22:11 - Jul 21 by Boundy

I'm absolutely tamping , happy now . You want a devolved government then have a hissy fit when the english decide they don't want interference from the Welsh

She apparently said she has an 'intense dislike for the "devolved states" and accused them of obstructing the smooth transition of Brexit. She warned "England will not tolerate anymore interference from the rest of the UK.".

We have a devolved government but Brexit is not devolved. The way it is happening is completely in the control of Westminster. But she is saying we are not allowed an opinion even though it affects Wales the same as it affects the rest of the UK.

Are you saying our government should not speak on behalf of Wales ?
Welsh Tourism on 18:59 - Jul 22 with 1205 viewsFlashberryjack

Welsh Tourism on 18:37 - Jul 22 by johnlangy

She apparently said she has an 'intense dislike for the "devolved states" and accused them of obstructing the smooth transition of Brexit. She warned "England will not tolerate anymore interference from the rest of the UK.".

We have a devolved government but Brexit is not devolved. The way it is happening is completely in the control of Westminster. But she is saying we are not allowed an opinion even though it affects Wales the same as it affects the rest of the UK.

Are you saying our government should not speak on behalf of Wales ?

Didn't Wales vote for Brexit in the referendum, so maybe Drakeford and his clowns don't speak on behalf of the Welsh people.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Welsh Tourism on 19:09 - Jul 22 with 1200 viewsjohnlangy

Welsh Tourism on 18:59 - Jul 22 by Flashberryjack

Didn't Wales vote for Brexit in the referendum, so maybe Drakeford and his clowns don't speak on behalf of the Welsh people.

Of course Wales voted for Brexit. Are you saying Wales should not have an opinion on how it's managed ?
Welsh Tourism on 19:41 - Jul 22 with 1160 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh Tourism on 19:09 - Jul 22 by johnlangy

Of course Wales voted for Brexit. Are you saying Wales should not have an opinion on how it's managed ?

Of course Wales should have an opinion BUT the Senedd's opinion should be what was voted for and looking for the best way through it.

Drakeford is constantly manufacturing reasons to attack Westminster.

One of the problems of devolution is the "in house" arguing amongst our politicians.

Even if we have a Labour government in Westminster it looks doubtful there'll be any harmony because Starmer is apparently irritated by Drakeford who is more of a Corbynista, that last thing is the reason Wales is struggling. We are being run by an ideological zealot with little regard for what the peole actually want.
Welsh Tourism on 21:14 - Jul 22 with 1118 viewsbuilthjack

A hell of a lot of countries in Europe and elsewhere have a tourist tax.
Should they abandon it?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh Tourism on 21:54 - Jul 22 with 1091 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh Tourism on 21:14 - Jul 22 by builthjack

Should they abandon it?

When we have the weather to go with our glorious countryside and majestic coastline then ok. Until that point we need to be different as regards attracting tourists.

You've seen the numbers posted on here, we are well down in the tourist ranking just in the UK. We are not going to attract more here by charging them more. That's my opinion.

Anyway, I thought Drakeford said we do things differently in Wales.
Welsh Tourism on 21:59 - Jul 22 with 1081 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh Tourism on 21:54 - Jul 22 by SullutaCreturned

When we have the weather to go with our glorious countryside and majestic coastline then ok. Until that point we need to be different as regards attracting tourists.

You've seen the numbers posted on here, we are well down in the tourist ranking just in the UK. We are not going to attract more here by charging them more. That's my opinion.

We do, other countries welcome tourists and try to encourage them.
Welsh Tourism on 22:07 - Jul 22 with 1072 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh Tourism on 21:59 - Jul 22 by Whiterockin

We do, other countries welcome tourists and try to encourage them.

That was in reference to the point about a "hell of a lot" of places having a tourist tax.

I'm gong to wait now, for the official figures in a few years. Lets see how this tourist tax has done for Wales.

Mind you, the way the weather is across Southern Europe right now, maybe people will come flcoking here for the colder, wet weather
Welsh Tourism on 22:54 - Jul 22 with 1047 viewsmajorraglan

Lets of places now charge a tourist tax and as long as it’s set at a reasonable rate and the proceeds are used to improve tourism it shouldn’t be an issue. Manchester started charging a tourist tax in April and it works out at £1 per hotel room per night. That is nothing in the grand scheme of things, less than the cost of 1/5 of a pint in the hotel bar, it’s less than the price of a cup of coffee. The tax is already being levied in places like Barcelona, Majorca and it’s not stoping people visit. I reckon £7 on the price of a weeks stay in static caravan isn’t going to break the bank.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2023 0:37]
Welsh Tourism on 23:10 - Jul 22 with 1045 viewsbuilthjack

Do countries like Austria and Switzerland have the weather?
Yet they charge a tourist tax.
I read somewhere that from 2024 all non EU citizens will be paying an extra €7 to get into EU countries. Whadaya think of that?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Welsh Tourism on 23:35 - Jul 22 with 1024 viewsmax936

" I thought Drakeford said we do things differently in Wales"

Yeah because of his deluded attitude, the clueless dullard.

Went out for the day today with my eldest as its his 30th tomorrow, went to driving range for a couple of hours then went down to Rhossili and had a walk weather was crap and we got a bit wet but so what, but there were loads of peeps around and all mostly happy to be about, had a few light beverages in the Worms head Hotel and most folk seemed to be from across the Bridge all spending money to boost the Welsh economy and yet we got Dreadfull trying to ostracize these people by charging them tourist tax, mans a fing buffoon.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Welsh Tourism on 08:09 - Jul 23 with 998 viewsBoundy

Welsh Tourism on 21:14 - Jul 22 by builthjack

Should they abandon it?

True but there's only one Wales and presently we're no shining light to the rest of the world , in fact an example of how not to do things

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Welsh Tourism on 10:18 - Jul 23 with 977 viewsraynor94

Welsh Tourism on 23:10 - Jul 22 by builthjack

I read somewhere that from 2024 all non EU citizens will be paying an extra €7 to get into EU countries. Whadaya think of that?

Millions visit Switzerland and Austria for skiing in the winter, besides the Summer.

We just don't get the overseas visitors here like that, yes a tourist tax would only be pence but I certainly wouldn't trust Drakeford and his cronies to spend it in the right way

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Welsh Tourism on 10:28 - Jul 23 with 962 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh Tourism on 10:18 - Jul 23 by raynor94

Millions visit Switzerland and Austria for skiing in the winter, besides the Summer.

We just don't get the overseas visitors here like that, yes a tourist tax would only be pence but I certainly wouldn't trust Drakeford and his cronies to spend it in the right way

As much as I am against anything that deters tourists. I wouldn't mind a tourist tax that is spent benefiting the area in which it was collected, as in other countries. Money raised in Pembrokeshire is spent in Pembrokeshire. I just don't believe it would happen.
Welsh Tourism on 10:30 - Jul 23 with 956 viewsmajorraglan

Yes, we will be required to pay a €7 fee for a visa which lasts about 3 years, we’re also going to be required to give our biometrics every time we enter and leave the EU.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/uk-holidaymakers-to-pay-6-visa-fee-to-visit
Welsh Tourism on 11:01 - Jul 23 with 930 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh Tourism on 10:30 - Jul 23 by majorraglan

Yes, we will be required to pay a €7 fee for a visa which lasts about 3 years, we’re also going to be required to give our biometrics every time we enter and leave the EU.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/uk-holidaymakers-to-pay-6-visa-fee-to-visit

It probably costs more to do the paperwork.
Welsh Tourism on 11:18 - Jul 23 with 911 viewsGwyn737

Can’t put a price on sovereignty, Builthy 😉
Welsh Tourism on 11:49 - Jul 23 with 892 viewsBoundy

Welsh Tourism on 11:18 - Jul 23 by Gwyn737

Can’t put a price on sovereignty, Builthy 😉

True , but we're not

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Welsh Tourism on 12:18 - Jul 23 with 868 viewsDr_Winston

Countries that have little difficulty attracting international tourists can probably get away with imposing a tax on them.

As established, Wales has big problems attracting international tourists so making it additionally expensive to visit would, to most people with more than a couple of dozen functioning brain cells, be a monumentally stupid idea.

In any case, putting a tax on tourists in Pembrokeshire to fund even more investment in Cardiff (let's face it, that's what would ultimately happen) is morally repugnant in addition to dumb.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Welsh Tourism on 12:50 - Jul 23 with 856 viewscontroversial_jack

Welsh Tourism on 12:18 - Jul 23 by Dr_Winston

Countries that have little difficulty attracting international tourists can probably get away with imposing a tax on them.

As established, Wales has big problems attracting international tourists so making it additionally expensive to visit would, to most people with more than a couple of dozen functioning brain cells, be a monumentally stupid idea.

In any case, putting a tax on tourists in Pembrokeshire to fund even more investment in Cardiff (let's face it, that's what would ultimately happen) is morally repugnant in addition to dumb.

Unless they have a specific reason to come here, then tourists won't
Welsh Tourism on 14:19 - Jul 23 with 818 viewsunion_jack

Welsh Tourism on 12:18 - Jul 23 by Dr_Winston

It really is as simple as that. There’s no defence for Tourism Tax in Wales!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Welsh Tourism on 17:01 - Jul 23 with 777 viewsonehunglow

Welsh Tourism on 10:18 - Jul 23 by raynor94

Swimming in Swiss lakes like Lugano or Lucerne is different
Trust me
Swiss and Austrian weather is drier and sunnier than anywhere on Wales
Don't dismiss basic meteorology for Gawds sake

Imagine being stuck with three kids in a static in Wales now
This is what we face as parents
Kids want sunshine sand and sea primarily

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024