Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh Tourism 10:58 - Jul 17 with 47446 viewsDr_Winston

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jul/16/huge-market-untapped-lack-of-vis

Already on its knees in recent years thanks to the Welsh Govts unnecessarily heavy Covid restrictions, refusal to deal with M4 congestion and seeming intention to actually make getting around in Wales even harder. To top that off we've still got the mooted tourist tax to come.

Is there anything in this country that they can't screw up?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Welsh Tourism on 21:54 - Jul 24 with 1468 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh Tourism on 21:36 - Jul 24 by Dr_Winston

Sadly I suspect that any "Close down the Senedd" referendum would result in the same outcome as most Senedd elections. There are far more people who would prefer to maintain the Status Quo, no matter how utterly useless it is, than vote for genuine change.

it's probably why they gave the vote to the kids, they can bank on thousands more people voting the way the Welsh nats tell them because they are proud to be Welsh and are happy to be led like lambs to the slaughter.
Welsh Tourism on 21:55 - Jul 24 with 1468 viewsDr_Winston

Welsh Tourism on 21:50 - Jul 24 by Whiterockin

If there was even a sniff of a referendum you would see a massive change in Senedd policies.

Nah. They already know how such a Referendum would go.

The last time there was anything even remotely resembling a vote on the powers of the Welsh Government people voted to give them more, and it wasn't even close if memory serves. The Welsh Turkeys love voting for Christmas.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Welsh Tourism on 09:41 - Jul 25 with 1390 viewsonehunglow

Welsh Tourism on 21:54 - Jul 24 by SullutaCreturned

it's probably why they gave the vote to the kids, they can bank on thousands more people voting the way the Welsh nats tell them because they are proud to be Welsh and are happy to be led like lambs to the slaughter.

If one is proud of one’s country then one asks questions as to what is wrong not right and how things can improve .
Using nationalistic sentiment to gloss over what is clearly failing is not right .

Doing nothing but praising your homeland is simply vacuous

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Welsh Tourism on 12:02 - Jul 25 with 1359 viewsBoundy

Welsh Tourism on 09:41 - Jul 25 by onehunglow

If one is proud of one’s country then one asks questions as to what is wrong not right and how things can improve .
Using nationalistic sentiment to gloss over what is clearly failing is not right .

Doing nothing but praising your homeland is simply vacuous

There nothing worse and at times dangerous than a nationalist with tunnel vision, because one part of Wales is thriving in a certain aspect that shouldn't detract from the fact that others are struggling.We as a nation have become three tier there's Cardiff, nWales and the rest and the adage that what's good for cardiff is good for the rest of Wales is nonsense ,a statement dreamt up by those who for their own selfish reasons ,empire building for one

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Welsh Tourism on 12:10 - Jul 25 with 1353 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Welsh Tourism on 21:55 - Jul 24 by Dr_Winston

Nah. They already know how such a Referendum would go.

The last time there was anything even remotely resembling a vote on the powers of the Welsh Government people voted to give them more, and it wasn't even close if memory serves. The Welsh Turkeys love voting for Christmas.

Turn out in that referendum was only 35% . As there was no option to abolish the Welsh Assembly on the voting paper 65% of voters, most who don't want an Assembly, had no option other than not to vote.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Welsh Tourism on 12:13 - Jul 25 with 1347 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh Tourism on 12:02 - Jul 25 by Boundy

There nothing worse and at times dangerous than a nationalist with tunnel vision, because one part of Wales is thriving in a certain aspect that shouldn't detract from the fact that others are struggling.We as a nation have become three tier there's Cardiff, nWales and the rest and the adage that what's good for cardiff is good for the rest of Wales is nonsense ,a statement dreamt up by those who for their own selfish reasons ,empire building for one

Remember the mantra when the politicians were pushing for devolution. That devolution would benefit all the regions of Wales and be for the whole of Wales. To show this the Welsh Assembly meetings will take place in all the regions and not just in Cardiff. That didn't last long.
Welsh Tourism on 18:00 - Jul 25 with 1281 viewsjohnlangy

Welsh Tourism on 12:10 - Jul 25 by felixstowe_jack

Turn out in that referendum was only 35% . As there was no option to abolish the Welsh Assembly on the voting paper 65% of voters, most who don't want an Assembly, had no option other than not to vote.

Felix. Tell me, do you actually think about what you're saying when you post ? You're actually saying that most of the 65% who din't vote in that referendum would have voted to abolish the Assembly.

If most of them did want to abolish the assembly (i'll take most as being 40% or more of the 65%) then don't you imagine they'd vote for the Abolish the Welsh Assembly party ? Yet in the last Senedd election they managed just 4.4%. Just one tenth of your estimate.
Welsh Tourism on 19:04 - Jul 25 with 1263 viewsGwyn737

Welsh Tourism on 18:00 - Jul 25 by johnlangy

Felix. Tell me, do you actually think about what you're saying when you post ? You're actually saying that most of the 65% who din't vote in that referendum would have voted to abolish the Assembly.

If most of them did want to abolish the assembly (i'll take most as being 40% or more of the 65%) then don't you imagine they'd vote for the Abolish the Welsh Assembly party ? Yet in the last Senedd election they managed just 4.4%. Just one tenth of your estimate.

I’m afraid I can’t join your wish for independence, John although I respect the way you put your thoughts across.

In my mind the senedd have done little to in-still confidence but on the flip side, I’ve no confidence in this lot either:

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh Tourism on 21:33 - Jul 25 with 1220 viewsSullutaCreturned

I didn't vote in that referendum and I also didnt ote for that ATWA party.

We don't know how that 65% would vote but we can be fairly sure they don't give a monkeys about the Senedd.

Funny thing, 35% vote and more powers wins so it means all of Wales supports it but for Brexit we had people saying 72% wasn't high enough for the vote to stand and some of those have been indy supporters on here.

I'm not saying that's you, John, you're more reasonable than that. We can debate with you sensibly.
Welsh Tourism on 08:58 - Jul 26 with 1152 viewsonehunglow

Welsh Tourism on 21:33 - Jul 25 by SullutaCreturned

I didn't vote in that referendum and I also didnt ote for that ATWA party.

We don't know how that 65% would vote but we can be fairly sure they don't give a monkeys about the Senedd.

Funny thing, 35% vote and more powers wins so it means all of Wales supports it but for Brexit we had people saying 72% wasn't high enough for the vote to stand and some of those have been indy supporters on here.

I'm not saying that's you, John, you're more reasonable than that. We can debate with you sensibly.

Indeed Cat
He s a class poster whom we should treasure.
I’m very anti Indy but our exchanges have always been bile free .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Welsh Tourism on 20:52 - Jul 26 with 1069 viewsGwyn737

I take everything back I’ve said.

First day back in Swansea for a while and was planning a Joe’s ice cream, a game of golf and a few beers al fresco.

It’s hammered down since half 10 🤣
Welsh Tourism on 21:07 - Jul 26 with 1068 viewsmajorraglan

Welsh Tourism on 19:04 - Jul 25 by Gwyn737

I’m afraid I can’t join your wish for independence, John although I respect the way you put your thoughts across.

In my mind the senedd have done little to in-still confidence but on the flip side, I’ve no confidence in this lot either:

The OBR report which was surprised by Kwarteng before his disastrous mini budget has been published following an FOI request. It painted a bleak picture of high inflationary pressures, higher interest rates pushing up our repayments and it projected the sharpest falling in living standards in modern memory.

So at a time when interest rates were increasing and set to increase further pushing up the cost of borrowing to huge levels, he wanted to borrow even more money to fund tax cuts which would further drive up inflation. It’s not even as though the cuts would benefit everyone, the benefits would disproportionately benefit 1 section of the community - the people who needed it the least. No wonder he buried the report !!!

We hear a lot about Brown and the gold being a disaster, but depending on who you listen the sale of the gold may have cost us around a maximum of £4bn less if the benefits of the proceed of the sale are included in the calculations, Kwarteng cost us over £65bn in a short space of time as the BOE had to rescue the pension schemes, it’s also helped increase debt repayments to their highest ever level.

Kwarteng and Truss were nothing short of a disaster.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jul/26/kwarteng-mini-budget-obr-stock-
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 21:08]
Welsh Tourism on 21:11 - Jul 26 with 1061 viewsGwyn737

Welsh Tourism on 21:07 - Jul 26 by majorraglan

The OBR report which was surprised by Kwarteng before his disastrous mini budget has been published following an FOI request. It painted a bleak picture of high inflationary pressures, higher interest rates pushing up our repayments and it projected the sharpest falling in living standards in modern memory.

So at a time when interest rates were increasing and set to increase further pushing up the cost of borrowing to huge levels, he wanted to borrow even more money to fund tax cuts which would further drive up inflation. It’s not even as though the cuts would benefit everyone, the benefits would disproportionately benefit 1 section of the community - the people who needed it the least. No wonder he buried the report !!!

We hear a lot about Brown and the gold being a disaster, but depending on who you listen the sale of the gold may have cost us around a maximum of £4bn less if the benefits of the proceed of the sale are included in the calculations, Kwarteng cost us over £65bn in a short space of time as the BOE had to rescue the pension schemes, it’s also helped increase debt repayments to their highest ever level.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jul/26/kwarteng-mini-budget-obr-stock-

The interest we’ll pay on out national debt over the next year is more than the entire education budget.
Welsh Tourism on 09:33 - Jul 27 with 986 viewsjohnlangy

Thank you Gwyn, Cat and OHL for kind and constructive posts . . Respecting people's opinions should be the start point for any response on any forum.
Welsh Tourism on 11:24 - Jul 27 with 964 viewsfelixstowe_jack

No where have I said that 65% want to abolish the Senedd. I just pointed out that only 35% could be bothered to express an opinion on granting the Senedd more power or keeping the status quo.

As you brought up the last senedd elections only 46% of voters could be bothered to vote which is a sad reflection on views of Welsh voting public.

Welsh Tourism on 11:32 - Jul 27 with 948 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Welsh Tourism on 21:07 - Jul 26 by majorraglan

Fortunately they were not in power long enough to do any real damage. The £ has increased by 20% against the $ since their budget, the UK avoided recession unlike the EU and Germany.

Gordon Brown raid on pension funds has resulted in long term damage every member of a private conpqny pension scheme has seen reduction in their pension, most final salary pension private schemes have closed.

What this has to do with Welsh Tourism is beyond me though.

Welsh Tourism on 11:51 - Jul 27 with 933 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh Tourism on 11:32 - Jul 27 by felixstowe_jack

Fortunately they were not in power long enough to do any real damage. The £ has increased by 20% against the $ since their budget, the UK avoided recession unlike the EU and Germany.

Gordon Brown raid on pension funds has resulted in long term damage every member of a private conpqny pension scheme has seen reduction in their pension, most final salary pension private schemes have closed.

It may be a bit convoluted but their mini budget caused chaos which caused financial worries across the UK. Seeing as most of our tourism is from other UK citizens, maybe that is the link?
Welsh Tourism on 16:13 - Jul 27 with 889 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh Tourism on 23:27 - Jul 23 by majorraglan

I’m proud to be Welsh and want the country to succeed and prosper, but I think we need a bit of a reality check. Yes the Brynglas tunnels are an issue and I’d prioritise a new relief road as a matter of urgency, I’d also improve the infrastructure in North Wales and down through the middle in to Aberystwyth.
The top tourist attractions in the U.K. are mostly in England with a lot in London, Tower of London, Science Museum, Natural History museum, V&A, National Gallery, Tate, Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and then look at what we have in Wales, chuck in Greenwich, St Paul’s, the shopping and then places like York, Bath, Stonehenge, the theme parks and all of a sudden a traveler from a prod has a lot to see without traveling very far. Compare that to what we have in Wales, some very good castles, Caerleon and Big Pit and that’s it. Yes we have some nice beaches, some small railways and a couple of national parks but is that enough to tempt someone from abroad to break away from the South East London scene to come here? We need to do better, a lot better but let’s not kid ourselves. There’s plenty of places with lots to offer and sadly, some have a lot more than we do.

Great point.

If you invest in nice things in some areas, and don't invest in nice things in other areas …. Then people will indeed choose to visit the nice areas.

Beware of the Risen People

Welsh Tourism on 16:19 - Jul 27 with 882 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh Tourism on 12:33 - Jul 24 by SullutaCreturned

it's absolutely nothing like an abusive husband, what a childish analogy. The people of Wales (the vast majority) do not want indy.

You can shout otherwise as much as you want but any claim you make that people of Wales want to leave the Union is a blatant lie.

Other countries, those ex of Empire, they have vastly different circumstances.

And of all those many different circumstances then not one has ever asked to return.

Its almost like none ever needed London at all.
Its just that London said they needed London.

Just like Wales does not really need London.
Its just London that says it does.

See how this works.

Welsh Tourism on 16:21 - Jul 27 with 881 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh Tourism on 21:54 - Jul 24 by SullutaCreturned

Are you confused with proud Brit Nats voting for the stupid Brexit ?

Duped. Simples.

Welsh Tourism on 16:27 - Jul 27 with 874 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh Tourism on 11:31 - Jul 24 by felixstowe_jack

You sound like someone trying to force a divorce on a happy couple. The people of Wales wish to remain part of the UK. The people of Wales voted to leave the undemocratic and bullying EU empire.
You should respect democracy and the wishes of the majority

The tired old union has failed the people of Wales.

Only two options - serious devolution, or indy.

Our young people will not stand for a tired model of London knows best.
Brexit has made this crystal clear, London’s elite do not know whats best.

Where is the Wales share of HS2 ?
“The Welsh Government has called on the Chancellor to provide Wales with its £5 billion share of HS2 funding as the “England-only project does not benefit Wales”

Better transport in Wales would support tourism in Wales.

Uk govt working against the welsh national interest again.

Welsh Tourism on 16:28 - Jul 27 with 873 viewsGwyn737

Welsh Tourism on 11:32 - Jul 27 by felixstowe_jack

Increasing 20% after being pushed through the floor is hardly a success.

Picking start points again.

Yes, Germany are in recession but what was their start point? What’s the comparison between them an us over time?
Welsh Tourism on 16:30 - Jul 27 with 872 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh Tourism on 16:29 - Jul 24 by SullutaCreturned

I won't dispute what Doyle says but his report, is it possible he could be wrong?

I won't dispute his facts or figures but I will say that what happens if we went indy is an unknown, we can't rely on the economic situation being the same. We don't know what will happen at the border, we don't know if any businesses wll leave Wales. Then we know we need a lot of infrastructure spending, if we actually are 2.6 billion in deficit it's not that bad I guess BUT where do we get the money from to develop what we need?

A newly indy Wales has no credit rating, the interest we'd pay on borrowing could be crippling. And what if we end up with a hard border because does anyone trust that the English government wouldn't be childish enough to play hardball and do to us what the EU did to the UK on brexit?
Even then, if everything went well what about trade agreements? We wouldn't have any and our membership of the EU, assuming we applied, could take a decade to be approved because of the Copenhagen criteria.

And after all of that, we live in a poor country where the politicians want to increase their number, a country that has 22 local authorities where 5/6 would do, where would we end up?

This is why I want to remain in the union. if people believed the UK, the worlds 5th largest economy at the time, couldn't survive outside the EU then what hope for Wales outside the UK AND the EU?

Public sector net debt (PSND ex) at the end of May 2023 was £2,567.2 billion and provisionally estimated at 100.1% of GDP. This is the current uk national debt.

Wales cannot afford to stay in the UK.

Welsh Tourism on 16:31 - Jul 27 with 872 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh Tourism on 17:54 - Jul 24 by Dr_Winston

The idea that Wales should be independent and then join the EU baffles me. If you think Wales doesn't have much of a say now, imagine what it would be like as a tiny voice in Europe as opposed to a much bigger one within the UK.

Look up Ireland.

Welsh Tourism on 16:32 - Jul 27 with 872 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh Tourism on 20:03 - Jul 24 by Flashberryjack

I've seen how badly Wales has been run since devolution, fancy another Drakeford anyone ?

Anybody that still votes for Indy must be absolutely crazy.

Much better that Johnson and Truss.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024