Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Soft 17:19 - Jan 21 with 10385 viewsHunterhoop

Not much more to be said. Front 4 for that last 30 were the worst offenders. Hiding. Not tracking runners. Roberts couldn’t have sold Kakay down the river any more unless he’d been slipping in the passes himself.

This group of “professionals” have got to sort out their attitude and mentality. You can’t only play when it’s going well. The only adversity we faced today was missing our own chances, and we then folded.
Soft on 09:30 - Jan 22 with 1741 viewsParkRoyalR

Soft on 00:47 - Jan 22 by NW5Hoop

I was watching Dykes a lot today, and in the first half there were three or four times where he had started making the run, only for Chair (it was always Chair; don't get me wrong — I love watching him) decided to beat his man three times instead of crossing, and each time Dykes was clearly hugely frustrated, having been waiting for the early ball.

NW5, I honestly have been seeing this for the last 2 years.

Warnock saw it straight away last week and called it out.

So the question is why does he take so many extra touches, allowing his defender time to recover and the back-four to re-set?

I think the answer is the same as why yesterday he shot straight into the legs of the defender standing right in front of him three times, like I do when playing 5aside, its because I play with my head-down and can't see the options in front on me so just shoot.

With our current squad we can't play without him and he's a top 5 name on the timesheet but finally hopefully Critchley can fix this (as referenced it yesterday) and make him a £5m+ asset, but it could just be too ingrained in his muscle memory to change.
Soft on 09:56 - Jan 22 with 1652 viewsStanFan

I thought we had a clear plan yesterday and it worked really well. We kept pressing and forcing them back and winning the ball. We failed to win mainly because Lowe missed 2 sitters. If he scored even one of those then the rest is irrelevant.

Given that he did miss them we can look at other things. Willock for Dykes was probably the wrong substitution. Bringing on Adomah & Dozzell (why Dozzell not Johansen?) was too late. The defending for their goal was suicidal. Chair (who I generally love) had a shocker in possession. In spite of all this, it is an easy win if Lowe puts either of those chances away.

One final thing that hasn't been mentioned. I actually thought the mentality in the team was good. They worked hard. And, above all, just when I thought Swansea would go on to win the game, we came again in the last 5 minutes by playing more urgently.
Soft on 10:17 - Jan 22 with 1575 viewsEsox_Lucius

Soft on 22:37 - Jan 21 by Hunterhoop

Rose tinted glasses again, Antti.

We had a neutral with us. Thought we were miles the better team, couldn’t see Swansea scoring, but after we missed those big chances in the 2nd half said how you could visibility see the confidence seep from the players and the workrate decline. He reckoned the front 4 were hiding in the last 20

That’s two neutrals in 3 home ganes who have called out similar issues.

There is an issue with this group’s mentality.

Perhaps if all the fans fully committed to getting behind the team for 90+ minutes that energy would be reflected in the teams play and confidence. It felt very flat yesterday for the most part some seemed more interested in shouting Oh FFS at individual mistakes than cheering the side on. You even see snippets of it on here where posters are more interested in pointing out individuals shortcomings than giving praise for moments in the game they played well. "Chair can't beat the 1st man at a corner" True! "Chair & Dykes harried the fück out of their central defenders trying to force errors" also true. it's all about which fan you want to be.

The grass is always greener.

Soft on 10:36 - Jan 22 with 1549 viewsPaddyhoops

Thought we did ok yesterday. Lowe puts that chance away its game over. Swansea insistence on fannying around at the back was always going to catch up with them. Well nearly.
On the crowd getting behind the team ..well 3 goals our end this season at my end doesn’t get anybody excited does it .?
Soft on 10:51 - Jan 22 with 1484 viewsEsox_Lucius

Soft on 10:36 - Jan 22 by Paddyhoops

Thought we did ok yesterday. Lowe puts that chance away its game over. Swansea insistence on fannying around at the back was always going to catch up with them. Well nearly.
On the crowd getting behind the team ..well 3 goals our end this season at my end doesn’t get anybody excited does it .?

So we only support the team if they are scoring? I think that rather makes my point.

The grass is always greener.

Soft on 11:10 - Jan 22 with 1469 viewstonyQPR

Soft on 21:30 - Jan 21 by terryb

The match changed when Dykes went off.

Gazza & many others will disagree, but I thought he was outstanding today.

Couldn’t agree more 👍👍👍
Soft on 11:14 - Jan 22 with 1465 viewsLogman

Much less passing around the back yesterday, which was good to see, and a few more earlier balls into the box, trying to catch their defenders out. Good to see that the manager is learning that this is what we need to do. The comments in the O.P. about the players lacking professionalism is far from true across the board.
Soft on 11:23 - Jan 22 with 1450 viewsloftus77

Soft on 17:32 - Jan 21 by Damo1962

Why were they dead on their feet? They are obviously not fit enough. Swansea seemed to last well enough.

also Swansea had a cup match (Bristol - extra time) in the week. Unlike us. No excuse (?) for being dead on our feet mid-season in an extended run of no midweek games.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2023 11:30]
Login to get fewer ads

Soft on 11:31 - Jan 22 with 1422 viewsgazza1

1 - If Lowe takes his chances we win the game (they were not difficult).
2 - Swansea were a decent side, not great but decent. They worked us hard especially the 2nd half, passed the ball very well throughout the game. Also, they could have scored a few from dead ball situations in the 1st half.
3 - Thought NC took far too long to make the necessary substitutions.
4 - Thought the team generally worked pretty hard & why NC should of made changes earlier.

I was disappointed that we conceded late (again), but relatively happy with the attitude & work rate. A win would have been very nice but it wasn't to be.
Soft on 11:37 - Jan 22 with 1397 viewsgazza1

They got more into the game when LD left the field but that was happening anyway.....I thought he did OK yesterday.
Soft on 11:38 - Jan 22 with 1402 viewsBlue_Castello

Exactly plenty of analysis by other people about our failings but the game changed in the 58th minute, when Dykes went off and Willock came on, it took away the aerial attacking threat, reduced our hold up play and brought Willock on. Dykes had a good game , he's an important part of the team, from that moment on Swansea were able to change the momentum and with the players we had on the pitch we couldn't cope.
I was too upset last night to even consider posting but there's positives to take from the game, we were the better team for the first hour and Lowe gives us another option up front, obviously that's not enough because we need to win games.
I know a lot has been said that we didn't press from the front for a good 20 minute period, we could all see it from the stands, that's exactly why Critchley should have made subs quicker which is not a comment in hindsight we were saying that during the game.
We have one of the best left sided centre backs in the division sitting on the bench and were under the cosh, I'm still frustrated that Critchley will not entertain a back three/five when it gives you a stronger unit to defend. Maybe yesterday he thought if we keep the 4 players up front we can get another goal but there's nothing wrong in being pragmatic and protecting your advantage first, especially when some of the front players were looking tired.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2023 11:41]
Soft on 11:43 - Jan 22 with 1377 viewsNortholt_Rs

Soft on 11:38 - Jan 22 by Blue_Castello

Exactly plenty of analysis by other people about our failings but the game changed in the 58th minute, when Dykes went off and Willock came on, it took away the aerial attacking threat, reduced our hold up play and brought Willock on. Dykes had a good game , he's an important part of the team, from that moment on Swansea were able to change the momentum and with the players we had on the pitch we couldn't cope.
I was too upset last night to even consider posting but there's positives to take from the game, we were the better team for the first hour and Lowe gives us another option up front, obviously that's not enough because we need to win games.
I know a lot has been said that we didn't press from the front for a good 20 minute period, we could all see it from the stands, that's exactly why Critchley should have made subs quicker which is not a comment in hindsight we were saying that during the game.
We have one of the best left sided centre backs in the division sitting on the bench and were under the cosh, I'm still frustrated that Critchley will not entertain a back three/five when it gives you a stronger unit to defend. Maybe yesterday he thought if we keep the 4 players up front we can get another goal but there's nothing wrong in being pragmatic and protecting your advantage first, especially when some of the front players were looking tired.

Agreed. Critchley didn’t manage the second half at all well….we could all see their goal coming. Laird and Dykes having to go off changed the game.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Soft on 11:50 - Jan 22 with 1366 viewsdistortR

Soft on 11:38 - Jan 22 by Blue_Castello

Yeah, with Dykes being forced off we also lost someone who defends the box for us at set pieces, and who defends well from the front. And as you say, he wins his share of high balls into the opposition half - without him, it was coming straight back at us.
While I admire Critchley trying to keep us on the front foot, Willock, Roberts, Lowe and Chair in front of an over-worked midfield, with Tim looking physically and mentally tired, was asking for trouble imho. However, my initial concern that 'Critchley doesn't like No 10's' has now eased - we had 4 of them on the pitch at the same time!
Lowe did miss a couple of good chances, but then if he was a player who always put them away, Bournemouth wouldn't have loaned him to us. A good addition imho.
Chair, I feel, puts too much responsibility on his shoulders because he doesn't believe in his own team mates. Put more trust in them Ilias.
Soft on 12:25 - Jan 22 with 1318 viewsbaz_qpr

I thought Roberts had an excellent game myself, but he and Tim were done at the 70 minute mark and that's when we needed the change. Tim (who was excellent for 70 minutes) made a whole host of really bad mistakes that allowed them to build up the pressure, and Roberts was struggling to get back. Though I get Critchleys point about it being the last subs he could make, I think he has to hold his hands up

That being said the goal came from a Kakay mistake again (twice in two home games,) and Dunne should have done better to block the shot. And we have to take our chances
Soft on 12:40 - Jan 22 with 1287 viewsParkRoyalR

Soft on 11:50 - Jan 22 by distortR

Yeah, with Dykes being forced off we also lost someone who defends the box for us at set pieces, and who defends well from the front. And as you say, he wins his share of high balls into the opposition half - without him, it was coming straight back at us.
While I admire Critchley trying to keep us on the front foot, Willock, Roberts, Lowe and Chair in front of an over-worked midfield, with Tim looking physically and mentally tired, was asking for trouble imho. However, my initial concern that 'Critchley doesn't like No 10's' has now eased - we had 4 of them on the pitch at the same time!
Lowe did miss a couple of good chances, but then if he was a player who always put them away, Bournemouth wouldn't have loaned him to us. A good addition imho.
Chair, I feel, puts too much responsibility on his shoulders because he doesn't believe in his own team mates. Put more trust in them Ilias.

Think it was Northolt above who made a great post but if there is one conspiracy theory too many at our place and one that really winds me up is that Chair does'nt pass because he does'nt rate his team-mates,

Chair does'nt pass not because he does'nt rate them, its because he does'nt see them, in the same way yesterday he did'nt see a 6ft defender standing in front of him 3 times when he tried a shot that was never on,

How can you not rate say Austin's heading ability in the box? In their time playing together I remember one head-up superb early cross into Austin against Everton and that's it, might be some I've forgotten but recall it so clearly as was hoping that was the watershed progression moment but it was'nt,

As Northolt says, great lad, great work-rate, great technical ability but unfortunately his end-product (imho) does not reflect what I watch week in week out.

Creatively yesterday both Willock, Roberts and Lowe created more, and that's with two of then not being match fit and one of them downing tools after 60 minutes.

I get everyone has poor games, Chair had a terrible game at Sunderland for 85 minutes, scored a superb free-kick, ran back to the half-way and then put in a superb cross for Dieng to create that moment, and we know he has that in his locker, just hope Critchely can coach him to get his head-up and move the ball quicker as he is doing with Dunne and Dickie.
Soft on 12:48 - Jan 22 with 1267 viewsdistortR

Soft on 12:40 - Jan 22 by ParkRoyalR

Think it was Northolt above who made a great post but if there is one conspiracy theory too many at our place and one that really winds me up is that Chair does'nt pass because he does'nt rate his team-mates,

Chair does'nt pass not because he does'nt rate them, its because he does'nt see them, in the same way yesterday he did'nt see a 6ft defender standing in front of him 3 times when he tried a shot that was never on,

How can you not rate say Austin's heading ability in the box? In their time playing together I remember one head-up superb early cross into Austin against Everton and that's it, might be some I've forgotten but recall it so clearly as was hoping that was the watershed progression moment but it was'nt,

As Northolt says, great lad, great work-rate, great technical ability but unfortunately his end-product (imho) does not reflect what I watch week in week out.

Creatively yesterday both Willock, Roberts and Lowe created more, and that's with two of then not being match fit and one of them downing tools after 60 minutes.

I get everyone has poor games, Chair had a terrible game at Sunderland for 85 minutes, scored a superb free-kick, ran back to the half-way and then put in a superb cross for Dieng to create that moment, and we know he has that in his locker, just hope Critchely can coach him to get his head-up and move the ball quicker as he is doing with Dunne and Dickie.

I would argue he moved the ball quicker when he had Eze and BOS alongside him, but then they also had better movement.
But yeah, he certainly needs to get his head up more, it's not like he hasn't got good technique on the ball.
Soft on 13:27 - Jan 22 with 1216 viewsstanistheman

Lowe missed good chances, but is clearly not match fit given lack of games at Bournemouth. Unfortunately with no other strikers on the bench and Dykes going off he had to play 90min.

Roberts gave up after Dykes went off and Willock offered nothing when coming on.

What is the point of Dozzell?

Critchley didn’t help with his choice and timing of subs and has to shoulder some blame. He has been slow to make subs since getting the job and my concern is that this is how he is.

The lack of good options from the bench is concerning and the club have to address some issues during this transfer window. If Armstrong is not deemed good enough for the bench then a new forward is a necessity.
Iroegbenum had a good game but needed subbing after about 70 minutes and Johansen had to come on.

Chair put a lot of effort in but his decision making and passing was not so good. However there was one opportunity later on when he got to the bye line ready to cross but not a single player got into the box so he had to check back. I have said that Lowe was not match fit for the whole game, but Willock and Roberts have no excuse.

Talking of players getting tired but they need to get fitter. Andy Murray played a 5 set match for 5 hours and 45 minutes until 4am.
Soft on 14:02 - Jan 22 with 1172 viewsHunterhoop

Soft on 10:17 - Jan 22 by Esox_Lucius

Perhaps if all the fans fully committed to getting behind the team for 90+ minutes that energy would be reflected in the teams play and confidence. It felt very flat yesterday for the most part some seemed more interested in shouting Oh FFS at individual mistakes than cheering the side on. You even see snippets of it on here where posters are more interested in pointing out individuals shortcomings than giving praise for moments in the game they played well. "Chair can't beat the 1st man at a corner" True! "Chair & Dykes harried the fück out of their central defenders trying to force errors" also true. it's all about which fan you want to be.

It’s not as black or white as that. I’m in the corner, standing at the back, joining and leading songs. But I also enjoy analysing the game afterwards and highlight what I perceive to be good and bad parts to our performances.

Being a supporter doesn’t mean being blindly positive all the time, especially away from the ground.
Soft on 15:40 - Jan 22 with 1059 viewsRangersw12

Soft on 10:17 - Jan 22 by Esox_Lucius

It's very boring supporting QPR at the moment and there has been a general malaise around the place for years

Fans have given fantastic support over the years and been rewarded with players so soft that they wilt after missing a few chances, people are fed up with it and the players should be greatful so many are still turning up and put in a performance for 90 mins
Soft on 16:36 - Jan 22 with 1020 viewstraininvain

Soft on 12:40 - Jan 22 by ParkRoyalR

Hang on didn’t you spend the second half of last season criticising Austin after every game for his lack of professionalism, poor movement etc?

But now it’s Chair’s fault that he didn’t score more goals because his delivery wasn’t up to scratch. Not sure you can have it both ways.

The Austin stuff was borderline obsessive if I remember correctly (apologies if I have the wrong person). Seems that Chair has replaced Austin as the object of your affection!
Soft on 18:42 - Jan 22 with 937 viewsParkRoyalR

Soft on 16:36 - Jan 22 by traininvain

Hang on didn’t you spend the second half of last season criticising Austin after every game for his lack of professionalism, poor movement etc?

But now it’s Chair’s fault that he didn’t score more goals because his delivery wasn’t up to scratch. Not sure you can have it both ways.

The Austin stuff was borderline obsessive if I remember correctly (apologies if I have the wrong person). Seems that Chair has replaced Austin as the object of your affection!

Chair is a good'un and if saying he has great technical ability, desire and work-rate makes him the object of my affection I would agree.

The match preview yesterday queried if a certain player was stifling our attacks and Chair did this yesterday, so him holding the ball too long a'la Luke Freeman was topical.

Chair is a good'un, where as a fit Willock is a very good'un and Eze was a very very good'un (as levels + values you could say 4.5m doubles to 9m to an Eze 18m)

So how does Chair realise his full potential, and, imho, he has a great first touch so why doesn't he play with his head up and always look for the early pass?

If you watch him closely maybe you can explain why he so often doesn't see the best options in front of him.

We have other players with similar desire and work-rate who regularly get abused on this forum from their so called fans, so I'm sure there's space for some constructive criticism of Chairs end product.
Soft on 19:24 - Jan 22 with 910 viewstraininvain

Soft on 18:42 - Jan 22 by ParkRoyalR

Chair is a good'un and if saying he has great technical ability, desire and work-rate makes him the object of my affection I would agree.

The match preview yesterday queried if a certain player was stifling our attacks and Chair did this yesterday, so him holding the ball too long a'la Luke Freeman was topical.

Chair is a good'un, where as a fit Willock is a very good'un and Eze was a very very good'un (as levels + values you could say 4.5m doubles to 9m to an Eze 18m)

So how does Chair realise his full potential, and, imho, he has a great first touch so why doesn't he play with his head up and always look for the early pass?

If you watch him closely maybe you can explain why he so often doesn't see the best options in front of him.

We have other players with similar desire and work-rate who regularly get abused on this forum from their so called fans, so I'm sure there's space for some constructive criticism of Chairs end product.

Sorry I accidentally hit downvote. Fat fingers!

I think you make some valid points about Chair (and Austin last season) but it’s important to remember that he wouldn’t be at QPR if he wasn’t flawed.

He’s not been at his best recently (like most the team) and constructive criticism is all good. But he’s still generally one of our key players and most valuable contributors.

I can understand the frustration but I prefer to look at the bigger picture and over the last couple of seasons he’s contributed more than most and always puts in a shift. Personally I think we have bigger problems but everyone’s entitled to their opinion so fair enough.
Soft on 22:22 - Jan 22 with 819 viewsMonkey_Roots

We didn’t lose.

We scored.

We worked hard… but ultimately ran out of steam. We pressed high for 50 minutes against a decent passing team - Dykes was a huge part of that. When he went off we didn’t have that same intensity in the press. Laird going off allowed them to do a bit of pressing of their own. Kakay wasn’t good enough, but he tried.

For me it’s progress from where we were 2 weeks ago.
Soft on 22:29 - Jan 22 with 798 viewsLogman

Soft on 22:22 - Jan 22 by Monkey_Roots

We didn’t lose.

We scored.

We worked hard… but ultimately ran out of steam. We pressed high for 50 minutes against a decent passing team - Dykes was a huge part of that. When he went off we didn’t have that same intensity in the press. Laird going off allowed them to do a bit of pressing of their own. Kakay wasn’t good enough, but he tried.

For me it’s progress from where we were 2 weeks ago.

I wish you had posted that 3 pages ago. Well said that man.
Soft on 22:41 - Jan 22 with 770 viewsdaveB

We're on a bad run and have hardly won for months so think it was just human nature the last 10/15 mins that players panicked and made mistakes to let them back into the game. The long the game went you could feel the tension in the ground growing. Their goal was their only shot on target upto that point.

It was very frustrating but I actually thought we played quite well yesterday, some of the criticism of Roberts and Willock seems ott to me, I thought Roberts was very good for 70 minutes but faded towards then end when we were pushed back.

Big problem was missing chances and not making changes earlier, midfield was crying out for help but we waited far too long to do anything.

Also find it odd that Armstrong is no longer on the bench to offer us something different last 10/15 mins, real shame how we've not really used him since the Birmingham game
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024