Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video 20:53 - Jan 8 with 5801 viewsSwanseaNapoli

Not seen anyone post this but heres an interesting video from our "Moneyball" expert Dan Altman

Something I've picked up from this video (and if we buy players from this style of analytics) is that the players we will sign in the future will be more direct in their passing especially defenders (no more swansalona?).

Watch out for the moment where he calls Swansea "a not so good team" lol

Be interesting to hear your interpretation from the video
[Post edited 8 Jan 2017 20:59]
Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 21:01 - Jan 8 with 4036 viewsPURe_Evil

I hope we don't go down this route.
Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 21:04 - Jan 8 with 4013 viewsHeadmaster

At what point does he say we're "a not so good team"? I don't have the discipline to watch the whole video.
Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 21:25 - Jan 8 with 3917 viewsBanosswan

Sounds a bit like someone who wanted a job and has spent a lot of time justifying that job.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 21:36 - Jan 8 with 3862 viewsSwanseaNapoli

Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 21:04 - Jan 8 by Headmaster

At what point does he say we're "a not so good team"? I don't have the discipline to watch the whole video.

Ki and Rangel come up as the 10 ten players on their position in the prem, and he said his analytics pick up players even from not so good teams, TBH I don't want anyone to hold it against the guy because what he's saying is true but just poor wording.
Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 21:59 - Jan 8 with 3774 viewsFireboy

Going to be interesting on how pc takes to him as this theory goes against his football theories
Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 22:08 - Jan 8 with 3745 viewsploppy

Interesting and scary in equal measure. So, in the 2 lists he showed, we had de Guzman, Ki, and Rangel. Impressive!
Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 22:17 - Jan 8 with 3700 viewsEilian

The most interesting thing about this video is the difference in size between his left and right nostrils.

What Mr clement basically said in his interview the other day is that he will give the stats a quick once over before he writes any big checks to make sure he isn't dropping a huge bollock in the transfer market. Otherwise, it's just traditional scouting as usual.

This bloke can fluck off back to America and play Football manager in him mums basement as far as I'm concerned.
Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 22:41 - Jan 8 with 3617 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 21:04 - Jan 8 by Headmaster

17 minutes in. Talking about Ki and Rangel being top 10 central midfielders/defenders in terms of production per minute in 2012/2013.

"So you're even picking up players on not so great teams. Which is really important because, if you're only catching players on great teams, what good is it if I can identify a fantastic midfielder on a top team?"

Interesting stuff. Nothing that can take the place of old-school scouting and instincts, but it can certainly enhance it, when used properly.

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Login to get fewer ads

Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 22:47 - Jan 8 with 3584 viewsnyc_swans

whole thing smacks of an unnerving sense of naivety.
Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 00:41 - Jan 9 with 3453 viewsMorganator100

I am quite impressed with what this guy is doing. Based on their GPS figures, it shows where players excel and are poor.

Would have highlighted the number of times Gomis went offside and if it was his fault or the ball being played too slow through to him.
Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 03:58 - Jan 9 with 3367 viewsHumpty

Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 22:41 - Jan 8 by Tummer_from_Texas

17 minutes in. Talking about Ki and Rangel being top 10 central midfielders/defenders in terms of production per minute in 2012/2013.

"So you're even picking up players on not so great teams. Which is really important because, if you're only catching players on great teams, what good is it if I can identify a fantastic midfielder on a top team?"

Interesting stuff. Nothing that can take the place of old-school scouting and instincts, but it can certainly enhance it, when used properly.

You got that far? I gave up at 2.07. Go analyse rounders.
Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 05:18 - Jan 9 with 3344 viewsPURe_Evil

Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 00:41 - Jan 9 by Morganator100

I am quite impressed with what this guy is doing. Based on their GPS figures, it shows where players excel and are poor.

Would have highlighted the number of times Gomis went offside and if it was his fault or the ball being played too slow through to him.

Do you mean like Opta have been doing for years?
Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 06:48 - Jan 9 with 3298 viewsDr_Winston

Stats might be of great importance in a sport where everything is essentially repetitive (baseball, cricket, NFL) but in a game as free flowing and improvisational as football they can only be an aide at best.

Hopefully Clement has secured enough power for himself to ignore this stuff if he chooses to.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 07:06 - Jan 9 with 3277 viewsAngelRangelQS

It's typical of our fans how quickly some of them have written this off.

In the 90s these same people were probably making the same comments about sports nutritionalists etc.
Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 08:34 - Jan 9 with 3192 viewsMorfa_Same

I find it depressing that Curtis' knowledge and experience is not required yet we're paying a bloke to come up with this arsedribble.
Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 08:45 - Jan 9 with 3163 viewsmonmouth

Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 06:48 - Jan 9 by Dr_Winston

Stats might be of great importance in a sport where everything is essentially repetitive (baseball, cricket, NFL) but in a game as free flowing and improvisational as football they can only be an aide at best.

Hopefully Clement has secured enough power for himself to ignore this stuff if he chooses to.

As always it's the interpretation and weight given to anything that is key. It's the same as trying to produce identikit coaches through teaching it by process, or by applying a 'philosophy' to teams unsuited to it. It all fails.

In football (and in life), the variables are too many to say something 'works' and can be transferable to all situations. Analysing a player is all very well, but change teammates, location, tactics, mood or, crucially the degree of reliance on him, and your previous stats are completely useless.

Human beings love to believe trends and systemise data, even when complexity, and indeed humanity, make most things random. File under mildly interesting, but to be treated with great caution. Like a one iron.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 08:52 - Jan 9 with 3139 viewsAngelRangelQS

Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 06:48 - Jan 9 by Dr_Winston

So stats in football are meaningless?
Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 09:25 - Jan 9 with 3095 viewsLeonWasGod

Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 22:47 - Jan 8 by nyc_swans

whole thing smacks of an unnerving sense of naivety.

With a large dose of conceitedness and self-promotion. Just screams of stereotypical, pushy consultancy when you look at the website. First impressions only though, as I haven't spent much time looking into it and it may well be the mutt's nuts.

I like PC's view - stats are ok, but they're only a tool and secondary to what a good coach will see directly. Similarly, they're no good if you don't have the knowledge to interpret them and apply them.
Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 09:37 - Jan 9 with 3062 viewsmacthejack

Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 08:52 - Jan 9 by AngelRangelQS

So stats in football are meaningless?

I mean that's quite clearly not what he said...
Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 09:42 - Jan 9 with 3057 viewsSmellyplumz

I can recommend this to anyone with amnesia. yawn.

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 10:01 - Jan 9 with 3027 viewsAngelRangelQS

Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 09:37 - Jan 9 by macthejack

I mean that's quite clearly not what he said...

Yeah, I know.

However if you watch that video you'll see that the sort of stats this guy talks about are far more than just basic stuff like goals/shots on target etc
Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 18:10 - Jan 9 with 2855 viewsSmellyplumz

Pull your fecking finger out doltman ffs

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 18:25 - Jan 9 with 2819 viewsWingstandwood

Remember when Mark Gower had 'stats' that apparently said he was one of the best in Europe? You know? 'THE' Mark Gower labelled the most creative player in Europe. You know? 'THE' Mark Gower of 3 goals in 129 appearances whom after 'semi-retirement' with SCFC left the club and went on to make 13 professional league appearances.......That? Put him well and truly on the road to immediate retirement after making to 2 final (semi-pro?) appearances for the mighty Ebbsfleet United.

Something tells me stats may not be the be all and end all of player assessment?

Argus!

Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 18:29 - Jan 9 with 2804 viewsa_Swanderful_life

the difference with the moneyball system is it worked in baseball because its a team of individuals, it wont work in football because the players are interactive.
Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 18:42 - Jan 9 with 2782 viewsSwanseaNapoli

Dan Altman (moneyball man), interesting video on 18:29 - Jan 9 by a_Swanderful_life

the difference with the moneyball system is it worked in baseball because its a team of individuals, it wont work in football because the players are interactive.

Interesting, doesn't this stuff happen in NFL aswell and is successful there?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024