Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they 09:00 - Aug 22 with 4346 viewsSwansIndependent

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/62826/

😂 click above.

This post has been edited by an administrator
‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 09:07 - Aug 22 with 3035 viewsonehunglow

What’s a big club

Many established PL clubs are minute compared with others,whereas the likes of Sunderland ,,outside the LL ,are big in every way .,apart from recent trophies earned that is.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 09:36 - Aug 22 with 2917 viewsunion_jack

The reference to the fans swallowing it immediately after the metaphorical orgy quote left a bad taste in my mouth😂😂

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 09:39 - Aug 22 with 2902 viewsblackpooljack

If you're saying big club in the mold of City,Utd Liverpool etc then anyone in their right mind would say that we'll never be in that league now, it could have been done 40 years ago the likes of Chelsea weren't that big til the money came along but i'd say we could still be as big and sucessful as teams like Bournmouth or Brentford and even those two are only a couple of bad seasons away from being back in League 1.
[Post edited 22 Aug 9:41]
‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 09:42 - Aug 22 with 2868 viewsmagicdaps10

Looking back it was absolute nonsense and all about money.

If Wales really want a team in the Premier league then it was best for Swansea fans to come and follow Cardiff.........realistically Wales will never have a premier league club unless we combine.

We proved that wrong, 7 seasons, major trophy and getting into the knockout stages in Europe.

And the nonsense still continues with the capital club nonsense that they reel out all the time.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 11:16 - Aug 22 with 2599 viewsBoundy

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 09:07 - Aug 22 by onehunglow

What’s a big club

Many established PL clubs are minute compared with others,whereas the likes of Sunderland ,,outside the LL ,are big in every way .,apart from recent trophies earned that is.

Well I certainly wouldn't consider ourselves as one nor themselves, although they do seem to have a very large inferiority complex. One of the things which satisfied me was the way we rose through the tables to finish a more than credible 6th position in the 1st Division winning recognition along the way ,then obviously our time in the PL what was it, 7 seasons and a major cup win along the way, something so far they can only dream of.
I know a lot of cardiff folk ( much to my distaste) and I can say those who follow the football are the most arrogant deluded slime backed individuals t you'd ever have the misfortune to meet and this next generation are worse . If they want to delude them selves fine , but with a cup win 97 years ago when god was a boy is the best they can come up with I'd suggest back in the box they go ,you never have nor probably never will amount to much of any note. Big Club my arse , big chip more like.
By the way this comes up every season , more clicks for Anal .

I have to add , that's why for me the sweetness of beating them cannot be underestimated
[Post edited 22 Aug 11:18]

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 12:16 - Aug 22 with 2459 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Doubt Cardiff will ever be a big club. 2 season in top League in last 60 years both resulting in relegation. No trophy win for over 100 years. They are an average size club in the championship with below average championship attendances.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 12:20 - Aug 22 with 2421 viewsonehunglow

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 11:16 - Aug 22 by Boundy

Well I certainly wouldn't consider ourselves as one nor themselves, although they do seem to have a very large inferiority complex. One of the things which satisfied me was the way we rose through the tables to finish a more than credible 6th position in the 1st Division winning recognition along the way ,then obviously our time in the PL what was it, 7 seasons and a major cup win along the way, something so far they can only dream of.
I know a lot of cardiff folk ( much to my distaste) and I can say those who follow the football are the most arrogant deluded slime backed individuals t you'd ever have the misfortune to meet and this next generation are worse . If they want to delude them selves fine , but with a cup win 97 years ago when god was a boy is the best they can come up with I'd suggest back in the box they go ,you never have nor probably never will amount to much of any note. Big Club my arse , big chip more like.
By the way this comes up every season , more clicks for Anal .

I have to add , that's why for me the sweetness of beating them cannot be underestimated
[Post edited 22 Aug 11:18]

We haven't won much
We don't have big crowds
Even on the early 80s our fan base was shockingly fickle when we were shafting the big bollox clubs
Whilst on the PL , we could and should shave hugely improved our profile
I see us in the same league as the likes of Brighton and just look at them now

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 12:38 - Aug 22 with 2376 viewsAnotherJohn

There are the really big clubs who can aim for EPL top six and then the next level of clubs who will always be in or pushing for the EPL. When the TV money and the parachute payment system came in several commentators argued that this would more or less guarantee the position of the existing EPL teams. I myself mistakenly thought this probably meant we had made the cut and had a pretty good future. Unfortunately, I think the window when we still had EPL quality players and parachute money has passed, and we blew whatever chance we had of getting back to the EPL in the foreseeable future. The few on here who said relegation would do us good and we could regroup in the Championship were wide of the mark. Unfortunately, our trajectory is gradual downward drift.
Login to get fewer ads

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 12:44 - Aug 22 with 2353 viewsWhiterockin

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 12:38 - Aug 22 by AnotherJohn

There are the really big clubs who can aim for EPL top six and then the next level of clubs who will always be in or pushing for the EPL. When the TV money and the parachute payment system came in several commentators argued that this would more or less guarantee the position of the existing EPL teams. I myself mistakenly thought this probably meant we had made the cut and had a pretty good future. Unfortunately, I think the window when we still had EPL quality players and parachute money has passed, and we blew whatever chance we had of getting back to the EPL in the foreseeable future. The few on here who said relegation would do us good and we could regroup in the Championship were wide of the mark. Unfortunately, our trajectory is gradual downward drift.

The same could happen to Leeds, failed to go straight back up and now selling their best players.
‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 12:49 - Aug 22 with 2332 viewsBoundy

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 12:20 - Aug 22 by onehunglow

We haven't won much
We don't have big crowds
Even on the early 80s our fan base was shockingly fickle when we were shafting the big bollox clubs

I'm happy in my own skin, big or small was always nice to turn one of the really big Clubs over and we did regularly .We did increase our profile and known throughout the world, remember the billboards in New York . I care not what others do or did then ,I have no influence so it is what it is imo. Many Clubs bigger than us have fallen by the wayside and yet we're still here , moaning , celebrating etc.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 14:16 - Aug 22 with 2232 viewsunion_jack

The problem with Cardiff over the years is that they get wrapped up in the capital city status which they seem to think should guarantee them success. As a result they are impatient to become an established PL club and are reluctant to put in the hard yards. This is ingrained from the City council, the football club and its supporters. They’re unlikely to do it without a complete change of attitude both on and off the pitch.

Our unparalleled success in contrast didn’t happen by buying a team. We had to drop to the bottom of the FL , avoid going out of it by the skin of our teeth but to bounce back with an identity, a way of playing universally known at the time as the ‘Swansea Way’. This took time, patience and a lot of heartache but the supporters stuck with it because we had the patience and don’t feel in any way, shape or form entitled.

We are opposite ends of the scale.

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 14:37 - Aug 22 with 2176 viewsKeithHaynes

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 09:36 - Aug 22 by union_jack

The reference to the fans swallowing it immediately after the metaphorical orgy quote left a bad taste in my mouth😂😂

It shows yiu read it 👍

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 14:41 - Aug 22 with 2158 viewsKeithHaynes

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 09:39 - Aug 22 by blackpooljack

If you're saying big club in the mold of City,Utd Liverpool etc then anyone in their right mind would say that we'll never be in that league now, it could have been done 40 years ago the likes of Chelsea weren't that big til the money came along but i'd say we could still be as big and sucessful as teams like Bournmouth or Brentford and even those two are only a couple of bad seasons away from being back in League 1.

Well he said Barca 😂

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 15:12 - Aug 22 with 2055 viewsSWANSEYE

We have never purported to be a Big Club . . We leave that for those numpties up the road. We let our Fottball do the talking
‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 15:19 - Aug 22 with 2020 viewsonehunglow

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 12:49 - Aug 22 by Boundy

I'm happy in my own skin, big or small was always nice to turn one of the really big Clubs over and we did regularly .We did increase our profile and known throughout the world, remember the billboards in New York . I care not what others do or did then ,I have no influence so it is what it is imo. Many Clubs bigger than us have fallen by the wayside and yet we're still here , moaning , celebrating etc.

Decent riposte

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 15:38 - Aug 22 with 2001 viewsblackpooljack

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 12:49 - Aug 22 by Boundy

Indeed Bury are the only side to score 1000 goals in each division and now are sadly no more.
‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 16:57 - Aug 22 with 1857 viewsDr_Winston

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 14:16 - Aug 22 by union_jack

The problem with Cardiff over the years is that they get wrapped up in the capital city status which they seem to think should guarantee them success. As a result they are impatient to become an established PL club and are reluctant to put in the hard yards. This is ingrained from the City council, the football club and its supporters. They’re unlikely to do it without a complete change of attitude both on and off the pitch.

Our unparalleled success in contrast didn’t happen by buying a team. We had to drop to the bottom of the FL , avoid going out of it by the skin of our teeth but to bounce back with an identity, a way of playing universally known at the time as the ‘Swansea Way’. This took time, patience and a lot of heartache but the supporters stuck with it because we had the patience and don’t feel in any way, shape or form entitled.

An arrogant club in an arrogant city.

The "Capital City" nonsense sums it up. They seem to think that this puts them on a par with London or Madrid rather than just as a regional admin HQ. That attitude rolls down to the football fans, who also seem to think that they're a much bigger deal than they actually are.
[Post edited 22 Aug 16:58]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 17:01 - Aug 22 with 1842 viewsunion_jack

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 16:57 - Aug 22 by Dr_Winston

The "Capital City" nonsense sums it up. They seem to think that this puts them on a par with London or Madrid rather than just as a regional admin HQ. That attitude rolls down to the football fans, who also seem to think that they're a much bigger deal than they actually are.

Exactly that!

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 17:08 - Aug 22 with 1815 viewsfelixstowe_jack

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 12:20 - Aug 22 by onehunglow

We haven't won much
We don't have big crowds

In 1981 the first division crowds were poor everywhere.
Average crowd in division one was 22,000. Swansea averaged
18,202 with 7 clubs having lower crowds including WBA, Stoke, Birmingham, Wolves and Middlesbrough

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 17:34 - Aug 22 with 1728 viewsonehunglow

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 17:08 - Aug 22 by felixstowe_jack

In 1981 the first division crowds were poor everywhere.
Average crowd in division one was 22,000. Swansea averaged
18,202 with 7 clubs having lower crowds including WBA, Stoke, Birmingham, Wolves and Middlesbrough

And in 82….

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 17:43 - Aug 22 with 1727 viewsSullutaCreturned

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 09:36 - Aug 22 by union_jack

O know where you're "coming" from!
‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 17:45 - Aug 22 with 1723 viewscockett_jack

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 14:16 - Aug 22 by union_jack

Spot on. I’ve never understood their fixation with the ‘capital city’ angle. Honestly not having a go or trying to wind anyone up but it means absolutely nothing in the circumstances/context of it all.
‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 17:46 - Aug 22 with 1716 viewscockett_jack

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 16:57 - Aug 22 by Dr_Winston

Also spot on
‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 17:55 - Aug 22 with 1687 viewsSullutaCreturned

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 09:39 - Aug 22 by blackpooljack

As big as Bournemouth and Brentford.....hold on there Clyde...which I did not come down on a pushbike!

Brentford have yet to make the 7 season mark and Bournemouth have a billionaire owner but neither have as big a stadium as us so while the relative success of the three of us can be measured and compared, neither is bigger than us, we are very similar
‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 18:09 - Aug 22 with 1645 viewscockett_jack

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 17:55 - Aug 22 by SullutaCreturned

As big as Bournemouth and Brentford.....hold on there Clyde...which I did not come down on a pushbike!

Brentford have yet to make the 7 season mark and Bournemouth have a billionaire owner but neither have as big a stadium as us so while the relative success of the three of us can be measured and compared, neither is bigger than us, we are very similar

A big club is one with a big fan base. Time in the top flight, silverware etc has nothing to do with size that’s about success. The real test of how big a club is, is the hardcore. We got 14k for Preston although some of that will have been inflated by the fact it was the first game. I feel like our genuine hardcore is about 12k and when times are good or for big games we can fill the Liberty and could, if we had the capacity, push 25k maybe even more. Cardiff are the bigger club but they should be given Cardiffs population is significantly more than Swansea’s and they have a more populous wider catchment area but I would say we definitely draw on a higher % of support from our catchment area and whilst Cardiff are bigger they should be much bigger/the compared attendances should be much further apart and they are not. Also I think their true hardcore is at our level if not lower actually. 5,718 is what they mustered against Bristol Rovers last week. Tuesday night game but that’s a derby, rovers brought a thousand I believe and when was the last time those clubs met? Now I think about it after typing all that I wonder if they can really be called the bigger club, they just have a larger catchment area for fair weather fans. No way in hell we would have got that low a crowd if we played rovers at home on a Tuesday
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024