Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they 09:00 - Aug 22 with 4492 viewsSwansIndependent

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/62826/

😂 click above.

This post has been edited by an administrator
‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 18:14 - Aug 22 with 1103 views1983

Not this big club bollox again!
Bury won the FA Cup twice so are massive

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 18:15 - Aug 22 with 1103 views1983

Not this big club bollox again!
Bury won the FA Cup twice so they are massive

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 18:15 - Aug 22 with 1094 viewsSullutaCreturned

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 18:09 - Aug 22 by cockett_jack

A big club is one with a big fan base. Time in the top flight, silverware etc has nothing to do with size that’s about success. The real test of how big a club is, is the hardcore. We got 14k for Preston although some of that will have been inflated by the fact it was the first game. I feel like our genuine hardcore is about 12k and when times are good or for big games we can fill the Liberty and could, if we had the capacity, push 25k maybe even more. Cardiff are the bigger club but they should be given Cardiffs population is significantly more than Swansea’s and they have a more populous wider catchment area but I would say we definitely draw on a higher % of support from our catchment area and whilst Cardiff are bigger they should be much bigger/the compared attendances should be much further apart and they are not. Also I think their true hardcore is at our level if not lower actually. 5,718 is what they mustered against Bristol Rovers last week. Tuesday night game but that’s a derby, rovers brought a thousand I believe and when was the last time those clubs met? Now I think about it after typing all that I wonder if they can really be called the bigger club, they just have a larger catchment area for fair weather fans. No way in hell we would have got that low a crowd if we played rovers at home on a Tuesday

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we are a big club just that the two other named clubs aren't bigger than us.

Cardiff are the bigger club but I am perfectly happy with being the better club.
‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 18:16 - Aug 22 with 1089 viewsfelixstowe_jack

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 17:34 - Aug 22 by onehunglow

And in 82….

That was season 81/82

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 18:34 - Aug 22 with 1059 viewsunion_jack

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 17:43 - Aug 22 by SullutaCreturned

O know where you're "coming" from!

Really? Spit it out then😂

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 18:37 - Aug 22 with 1050 viewsunion_jack

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 18:09 - Aug 22 by cockett_jack

A big club is one with a big fan base. Time in the top flight, silverware etc has nothing to do with size that’s about success. The real test of how big a club is, is the hardcore. We got 14k for Preston although some of that will have been inflated by the fact it was the first game. I feel like our genuine hardcore is about 12k and when times are good or for big games we can fill the Liberty and could, if we had the capacity, push 25k maybe even more. Cardiff are the bigger club but they should be given Cardiffs population is significantly more than Swansea’s and they have a more populous wider catchment area but I would say we definitely draw on a higher % of support from our catchment area and whilst Cardiff are bigger they should be much bigger/the compared attendances should be much further apart and they are not. Also I think their true hardcore is at our level if not lower actually. 5,718 is what they mustered against Bristol Rovers last week. Tuesday night game but that’s a derby, rovers brought a thousand I believe and when was the last time those clubs met? Now I think about it after typing all that I wonder if they can really be called the bigger club, they just have a larger catchment area for fair weather fans. No way in hell we would have got that low a crowd if we played rovers at home on a Tuesday

Compare that with Leeds support v Boro. Now they are a big club, like it or not.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 15:48 - Aug 23 with 950 viewsSullutaCreturned

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 18:34 - Aug 22 by union_jack

Really? Spit it out then😂

I find that hard to swallow, if we're not careful things could snowball
‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 22:59 - Aug 24 with 801 viewsowainglyndwr

Now then , people do not realise but we have a big support and we'll beyond Swansea ,
The problem we have as people who support teams in other cities especially in England, their towns, or Cities just support their club team. also a friend pointed out that we have a massive distraction of Rugby and other sports down here .
I.e Blackburn , Burnley, Preston combind population not much bigger than Swansea, but just have football to support
[Post edited 25 Aug 7:37]
Login to get fewer ads

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 08:01 - Aug 25 with 715 viewsonehunglow

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 22:59 - Aug 24 by owainglyndwr

Now then , people do not realise but we have a big support and we'll beyond Swansea ,
The problem we have as people who support teams in other cities especially in England, their towns, or Cities just support their club team. also a friend pointed out that we have a massive distraction of Rugby and other sports down here .
I.e Blackburn , Burnley, Preston combind population not much bigger than Swansea, but just have football to support

Too true.
But they can live side by side .
Swansea is NOT a small place. Burnley is. Their support historically has been huge in comparison with ours .
Our suppor potential is massive too.
It’s not been tapped properly.
Why the fook would someone in Swansea support Leeds,Liverpool,Arse,Manure .
Really.
Can you imagine any Geordie or anyone born north of the Tyne “ supporting” Man Utd and Tottenham Hotsour.
Nah,nor me

As for big,well it’s big for me and thousands others .

Massive in fact

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 08:19 - Aug 25 with 716 viewssons_of_omri

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 18:15 - Aug 22 by SullutaCreturned

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we are a big club just that the two other named clubs aren't bigger than us.

Cardiff are the bigger club but I am perfectly happy with being the better club.

They’ve got a bigger ground and won the FA cup 97 years ago. Our support covers all of their heartlands these days - not just one bloke in Blaenau Gwent. Which outdated criteria are you using?

My favourite is the amount of fans taken to our play off final appearances - them in 2010 and us in 2011. We took over 43,,000 and they only mustered over 37,000 if I remember correctly . And theirs was the first attempt for any welsh club to get into the PL so logically they should have taken more.

Finally neutrals from all over the world know our brand far more than theirs due to the League cup win, the very good attempt in the Europa League and of course 7 seasons straight in the PL with some excellent results over all of the traditional top teams with the only exception being Tottenham- but their time will come.
‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 08:21 - Aug 25 with 705 viewsonehunglow

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 08:19 - Aug 25 by sons_of_omri

They’ve got a bigger ground and won the FA cup 97 years ago. Our support covers all of their heartlands these days - not just one bloke in Blaenau Gwent. Which outdated criteria are you using?

My favourite is the amount of fans taken to our play off final appearances - them in 2010 and us in 2011. We took over 43,,000 and they only mustered over 37,000 if I remember correctly . And theirs was the first attempt for any welsh club to get into the PL so logically they should have taken more.

Finally neutrals from all over the world know our brand far more than theirs due to the League cup win, the very good attempt in the Europa League and of course 7 seasons straight in the PL with some excellent results over all of the traditional top teams with the only exception being Tottenham- but their time will come.

They were bigger in the Fifties
Full Stop.

Our potential is bigger

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 08:24 - Aug 25 with 702 viewssons_of_omri

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 08:21 - Aug 25 by onehunglow

They were bigger in the Fifties
Full Stop.

Our potential is bigger

They might have been bigger in 1912 as well. I think the here and now is what sullac was referring to and I think we’ve overturned whatever advantage they might have had pre 2011
‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 09:44 - Aug 25 with 634 viewsonehunglow

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 08:24 - Aug 25 by sons_of_omri

They might have been bigger in 1912 as well. I think the here and now is what sullac was referring to and I think we’ve overturned whatever advantage they might have had pre 2011

Wasn’t around in those days but a bent goalkeeper did see them win the FA Cup.
1927 think it was

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 10:37 - Aug 25 with 594 viewsjack247

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 22:59 - Aug 24 by owainglyndwr

Can’t really agree with this. Rugby is huge during the six nations. Not many people are bothered by it week in week out. Ospreys wouldn’t be downsizing if it was a credible threat.

Obviously the same applies to Cardiff.

If you like in Blackburn etc, you’re within an easy commute of three of the biggest clubs in the world.

We do have a big support outside of Swansea I agree, particularly down West but also in some traditional Cardiff heartlands. I’ve got a lot of time for people who travel an hour or so for every home game.
‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 10:48 - Aug 25 with 552 viewsDr_Winston

It'd be interesting to see the figures locally for people who watch Rugby and only Rugby who might otherwise have become football supporters if Rugby didn't exist.

It's not just the Ospreys. You've got the "big" local clubs like Swansea & Neath, but also dozens of smaller ones like Bonymaen, Dunvant, Glais etc. Probably several thousand at least I'd have said, perhaps even more so the further West you go.

As a general rule they're not serious competition, but every kid who follows Rugby may be one lost to the Swans.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 10:53 - Aug 25 with 544 viewsonehunglow

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 10:37 - Aug 25 by jack247

Can’t really agree with this. Rugby is huge during the six nations. Not many people are bothered by it week in week out. Ospreys wouldn’t be downsizing if it was a credible threat.

Obviously the same applies to Cardiff.

If you like in Blackburn etc, you’re within an easy commute of three of the biggest clubs in the world.

We do have a big support outside of Swansea I agree, particularly down West but also in some traditional Cardiff heartlands. I’ve got a lot of time for people who travel an hour or so for every home game.

I agree with that
Rugby is " our national game"
How many times has that been ridiculed on here
If it were not, our gates would be bigger as no other sporting interest
Blackburn Burnley Zpreston Blackpool all have super loyal fans who stick to their home town team
Hence my comments

We missed out on marketing our great club during Zprem days, without question
We were glorious and a sight to behold
I've seen us in the old first division and also the Premier League so I could die happy really

My old fella died at 94 as proud a Jack as he was in the thirties
It doesn't go away

Ever

This club is a Bluddy pain but it's ours

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 11:08 - Aug 25 with 495 viewsDr_Winston

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 10:53 - Aug 25 by onehunglow

I agree with that
Rugby is " our national game"
How many times has that been ridiculed on here
If it were not, our gates would be bigger as no other sporting interest
Blackburn Burnley Zpreston Blackpool all have super loyal fans who stick to their home town team
Hence my comments

We missed out on marketing our great club during Zprem days, without question
We were glorious and a sight to behold
I've seen us in the old first division and also the Premier League so I could die happy really

My old fella died at 94 as proud a Jack as he was in the thirties
It doesn't go away

Ever

This club is a Bluddy pain but it's ours

It's been ridiculed regularly because its nonsense. It doesn't stand up to even the barest amount of scrutiny.

Football has more regular supporters, more regular participants, more clubs. The only thing it doesn't have is a national broadcaster still claiming otherwise because it's one of the few sports that they still have the rights to. Or tens of thousands of drunken berks who only make an appearance for five weeks of the year.

If Rugby was our National Game we'd be slinking out of the Ospreys stadium in shame at not being able to even quarter fill it, not the other way around.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 12:12 - Aug 25 with 429 viewslifelong

I started my secondary education in 1958, it was the year that Wales reached the quarter finals of the football World Cup. It should have been the perfect time to promote the game and introduce it to all schools in the country, but no, what did a lot of schools do? They banned football and made rugby a compulsory sport as their games lessons.
The school I attended carried out this policy, it was a large school that had 3 playing fields all of which were rugby pitches.
Being a football mad youngster I hated the school and couldn’t wait to get out of it at 15 and start work.
‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 12:42 - Aug 25 with 394 viewsonehunglow

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 11:08 - Aug 25 by Dr_Winston

It's been ridiculed regularly because its nonsense. It doesn't stand up to even the barest amount of scrutiny.

Football has more regular supporters, more regular participants, more clubs. The only thing it doesn't have is a national broadcaster still claiming otherwise because it's one of the few sports that they still have the rights to. Or tens of thousands of drunken berks who only make an appearance for five weeks of the year.

If Rugby was our National Game we'd be slinking out of the Ospreys stadium in shame at not being able to even quarter fill it, not the other way around.

It’s been explained to you for what,twenty years.
It’s tedious trying to get through to you but I feel the Lord is making you a special target for HIS blessing

It IS seen,world wide,as the national game of Wales . 247 has also commented as to how “ huge” it is. His words not mine ,so ,change the record and engage with him .

Enjoy the game

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 12:56 - Aug 25 with 388 viewsDr_Winston

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 12:42 - Aug 25 by onehunglow

It’s been explained to you for what,twenty years.
It’s tedious trying to get through to you but I feel the Lord is making you a special target for HIS blessing

It IS seen,world wide,as the national game of Wales . 247 has also commented as to how “ huge” it is. His words not mine ,so ,change the record and engage with him .

Enjoy the game

It's never been "explained" to me.

I've patiently pointed out using actual facts that the belief that Rugby is our national sport is a myth based on not much at all, and in return you (and others) have continually repeated that it is because that's what other people think.

I'd imagine a significant proportion of Americans think Wales is in England. Using your logic it must be because that's what people believe, even if it's patently not true.

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 13:46 - Aug 25 with 326 viewsonehunglow

Ah well.

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 13:57 - Aug 25 with 320 viewsRhonddaSwans

So you would say that Sunderland are one of the ‘biggest’ in the country?

The big club is a mind set outside the top 6 of the premiership we are all small clubs really.
Man City’s average bench earn more than our first team squad .
FFP was supposed to bridge the gap but all the loop holes have really made a mockery of the whole process.

When it comes to Cardiff V Swansea in who the bigger club is look at transfer records , league success + fan base/passion
Do they beat us at any of them things I just stated?

Cardiff are a smaller club with an inferiority complex they have never had a Wilfred Boney or Ashley Williams .

Poll: Should Montenegro 🇲🇪 get fined because of they’re pitch?

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 14:03 - Aug 25 with 307 viewsonehunglow

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 13:57 - Aug 25 by RhonddaSwans

So you would say that Sunderland are one of the ‘biggest’ in the country?

The big club is a mind set outside the top 6 of the premiership we are all small clubs really.
Man City’s average bench earn more than our first team squad .
FFP was supposed to bridge the gap but all the loop holes have really made a mockery of the whole process.

When it comes to Cardiff V Swansea in who the bigger club is look at transfer records , league success + fan base/passion
Do they beat us at any of them things I just stated?

Cardiff are a smaller club with an inferiority complex they have never had a Wilfred Boney or Ashley Williams .

Sunderland are one of the biggest clubs
Spend sone time on the north east and it’s obvious.
No Man Utd shirts there,for sure .

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 14:04 - Aug 25 with 308 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Bigger fanbase can also be measured by worldwide support, and perhaps even worldwide awareness. Swansea City's 7 consecutive seasons at the top moved them ahead of CC, and most of us have remained loyal (almost defiantly so) since the sad day the Swans were sadly relegated, and us "bandwagoners" were expected to jump off the sinking ship.

In America, we don't have fans all over the place, but there is a small cult standing that remains today. When I wear my Swans shirt around town an occasional fellow Jack (or at least an admirer of the club) identifies themselves to me. I can honestly say however that I've never in my life met more than one single Bluebird in Texas.

On the grand scale, we can measure international support/awareness in terms of followers on X. Of course, I'm not saying this is the end all, be all deciding factor which determines who is the bigger club, but here is where it currently stands on that platform:

Cardiff City - 399K (a typical number for a Championship club)
Swansea City - 1 million
[Post edited 25 Aug 14:12]

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 14:19 - Aug 25 with 282 viewsonehunglow

‘Swansea will never be a big club and if they are honest with themselves they on 14:04 - Aug 25 by Tummer_from_Texas

Bigger fanbase can also be measured by worldwide support, and perhaps even worldwide awareness. Swansea City's 7 consecutive seasons at the top moved them ahead of CC, and most of us have remained loyal (almost defiantly so) since the sad day the Swans were sadly relegated, and us "bandwagoners" were expected to jump off the sinking ship.

In America, we don't have fans all over the place, but there is a small cult standing that remains today. When I wear my Swans shirt around town an occasional fellow Jack (or at least an admirer of the club) identifies themselves to me. I can honestly say however that I've never in my life met more than one single Bluebird in Texas.

On the grand scale, we can measure international support/awareness in terms of followers on X. Of course, I'm not saying this is the end all, be all deciding factor which determines who is the bigger club, but here is where it currently stands on that platform:

Cardiff City - 399K (a typical number for a Championship club)
Swansea City - 1 million
[Post edited 25 Aug 14:12]

I have a nephew that lives near Tampa now having moved from Sebring
We’ve been out there twice,once when in prem playing Man Utd
We were staying on St Pete’s and made his way up to meet up with us.
Walking through down with my contemporary shirt on 3 people stopped and chatted to us, in very cordial tones .

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024