Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 2024 General Election 14:36 - Oct 10 with 15114 viewsjohnlangy

If Labour do win the 2024 General Election they will find themselves in a very strange situation regarding what they are able to achieve, at least in the short term.

People always want big, bold statements regarding huge investments in infrastructure, house building, energy developments to relieve our dependancy on other countries oil/gas and so on.

But I was struck by something Peter Kyle said yesterday. Labour will I’m sure make some major policy announcements but he also said this. Paraphrasing, he said it is shameful but it would be a huge achievement to get to a place where people could get an appointment with their GP, to get their NHS treatment that they’ve been waiting on for X years or to get a dental appointment.

He could have also said it would be an amazing achievement if, when people are mugged or their house is burgled that the police would turn up to investigate.

It’s a dreadful situation for the country to be in that the basic pillars of a civilised society aren’t there any more.

I’ve mentioned health but then there’s education (how many thousands of teachers are needed to fill all the vacancies which means our children’s education is suffering ?). And policing (see above) – the service is 20,000 officers short. No wonder the streets are becoming lawless. Then there’s the Prison Service and the CPS. It is all an utter shambles.

As far as I can see it all of this is down to one thing and that’s the austerity that the Conservatives have imposed on the country since 2010. They cut back massively in all departments in order to ‘bring the countries enormous debt down’. They asked that people accept the need for this pain and go along with it and that there was no other way to achieve the goal.

And after the pain of all that austerity where are we now ? In 2010 the debt was less than £1 trillion. It is now £2.6 trillion.

If they have cut back so enormously on spending, which by extension means that they were also able to cut back on borrowing, could someone explain to me where all this debt has come from ?
The 2024 General Election on 14:05 - Oct 22 with 1189 viewsonehunglow

The 2024 General Election on 13:55 - Oct 22 by Togg

Odd that cause he never played for them...
I'll get me coat.

It’s in the cloak room .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The 2024 General Election on 10:10 - Oct 23 with 1112 viewsBadgeman

The 2024 General Election on 13:02 - Oct 22 by onehunglow

And at Anfield yesterday….God Save Gaza .

And they all deny anti semitism

What's antisemitic about saying "God save Gaza"

The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason.
Poll: Is Huw's position untenable?

The 2024 General Election on 18:16 - Oct 23 with 1058 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

The 2024 General Election on 10:10 - Oct 23 by Badgeman

What's antisemitic about saying "God save Gaza"

If there is a God whether the Muslim, Jewish or Christian version then by definition everything that is going on in Gaza and Israel are by his specific design. He wanted this to happen. He alone can stop all this.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

The 2024 General Election on 20:19 - Oct 23 with 1025 viewsonehunglow

The 2024 General Election on 18:16 - Oct 23 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

If there is a God whether the Muslim, Jewish or Christian version then by definition everything that is going on in Gaza and Israel are by his specific design. He wanted this to happen. He alone can stop all this.

I must have missed the “ Stop Beheading Babies” banner

The 2024 General Election on 09:36 - Oct 26 with 900 viewsraynor94

The ugly side of Labour starting to rear its head, putting pressure on Starmer over his comments concerning Israel.

I just hope he doesn't buckle and stands by his comments.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

The 2024 General Election on 09:57 - Oct 26 with 897 viewsonehunglow

The 2024 General Election on 09:36 - Oct 26 by raynor94

The ugly side of Labour starting to rear its head, putting pressure on Starmer over his comments concerning Israel.

I just hope he doesn't buckle and stands by his comments.

They are as split as the Tories just more open about it.

The 2024 General Election on 11:54 - Oct 26 with 880 viewsBoundy

The 2024 General Election on 09:57 - Oct 26 by onehunglow

They are as split as the Tories just more open about it.

I'm afraid there very little difference between the party's .It's going to be another case of wash , rinse , repeat ..Sunack v Starmer , Drakeford , v RT Davies Biden v Trump, what a state we find ourselves in and we as a nation deserve so much more

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The 2024 General Election on 11:56 - Oct 26 with 880 viewsonehunglow

The 2024 General Election on 11:54 - Oct 26 by Boundy

I'm afraid there very little difference between the party's .It's going to be another case of wash , rinse , repeat ..Sunack v Starmer , Drakeford , v RT Davies Biden v Trump, what a state we find ourselves in and we as a nation deserve so much more

Couldn’t agree more Boundy.
One sees to perpetuate class structure whilst the other feeds off the contempt and division.
It has always been thus
Voting for me has always been a case of the less worst .
Right now, that’s hard to call.

Login to get fewer ads

The 2024 General Election on 12:29 - Oct 26 with 878 viewsGwyn737

The 2024 General Election on 11:54 - Oct 26 by Boundy

May turn out that way but I'm really hopefull about Starmer's lot - there's some real talent on what could be the Labour front bench.
The 2024 General Election on 15:18 - Oct 26 with 832 viewsFlashberryjack

The 2024 General Election on 12:29 - Oct 26 by Gwyn737

May turn out that way but I'm really hopefull about Starmer's lot - there's some real talent on what could be the Labour front bench.

David Lammy, Angela Rayner, Ed Milliband...... really ?

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

The 2024 General Election on 15:27 - Oct 26 with 830 viewsGwyn737

The 2024 General Election on 15:18 - Oct 26 by Flashberryjack

David Lammy, Angela Rayner, Ed Milliband...... really ?

Political parties are broad churches and they wouldn’t be top of my list.

I’d go for in no particular order:

Rachel Reeves
Bridget Phillipson
Yvette Cooper
Wes Streeting
Shabana Mahmoud
Jonathan Reynolds
Hilary Benn
Lisa Nandy and
Lucy Powell

Actually there’s a lot I like about Rayner too.
The 2024 General Election on 19:04 - Oct 26 with 794 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

The 2024 General Election on 15:27 - Oct 26 by Gwyn737

Rachel Reeves
Bridget Phillipson
Yvette Cooper
Wes Streeting
Shabana Mahmoud
Jonathan Reynolds
Hilary Benn
Lisa Nandy and
Lucy Powell

The tories are terrible but that list absolutely terrifies me.

We are in dark times.

The 2024 General Election on 19:06 - Oct 26 with 793 viewsGwyn737

The 2024 General Election on 19:04 - Oct 26 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

The tories are terrible but that list absolutely terrifies me.

We are in dark times.

What makes you think they’ll be worse?
The 2024 General Election on 19:35 - Oct 26 with 781 viewsDr_Winston

The 2024 General Election on 19:06 - Oct 26 by Gwyn737

What makes you think they’ll be worse?

They probably won't be.

It might be sepia toned nostalgia talking, but the general standard of MP's of all colours these days seems pretty woeful compared to years gone by.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The 2024 General Election on 21:07 - Oct 26 with 750 viewsSullutaCreturned

The 2024 General Election on 15:27 - Oct 26 by Gwyn737

Rachel Reeves
Bridget Phillipson
Yvette Cooper
Wes Streeting
Shabana Mahmoud
Jonathan Reynolds
Hilary Benn
Lisa Nandy and
Lucy Powell

I quite like Nandy but Cooper, Reeves and HILARY BENN? Good grief NO.

The tories are utterly corrupt, useless and untrustworthy and while labour look the better choice they don't look a great choice.

it'll be an independent candidate for me again I think. If there's one that sounds decent anyway.

PS, Reeves, accused of plagiarism today. Her book is apprently full of paragraphs and sentences lifted from other peoples work. Lets hope she never copies off the tories eh.
The 2024 General Election on 21:48 - Oct 26 with 726 viewsDr_Winston

The 2024 General Election on 19:35 - Oct 26 by Dr_Winston

They probably won't be.

It might be sepia toned nostalgia talking, but the general standard of MP's of all colours these days seems pretty woeful compared to years gone by.

And this is why I'm in favour of MP's getting paid more.

Anyone worth their salt is earning at least twice, probably multiples more than the average MP salary these days in the private sector.

Cut the numbers down to about 300, but pay the rest twice as much.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The 2024 General Election on 23:31 - Oct 26 with 701 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

The 2024 General Election on 21:48 - Oct 26 by Dr_Winston

Anyone worth their salt is earning at least twice, probably multiples more than the average MP salary these days in the private sector.

That’s not going to work in reality though because parties aren’t selecting candidates on ability. They are selecting them because they are the wives of union leaders, the son of an ex MP or because they tick some diversity box.

Paying them twice as much would feed the nepotism even more.

The 2024 General Election on 23:43 - Oct 26 with 692 viewsDr_Winston

The 2024 General Election on 23:31 - Oct 26 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

That’s not going to work in reality though because parties aren’t selecting candidates on ability. They are selecting them because they are the wives of union leaders, the son of an ex MP or because they tick some diversity box.

Paying them twice as much would feed the nepotism even more.

That's a fair point.

Additional rules would be required. No political dynasties can be allowed. No hereditary Kinnocks. At least one generation between elected representatives is mandatory. A minimum of 10 years experience in private sector employment (exemptions for NHS, Armed forces or similar can be applied).

Bottom line is we need to improve the quality of those seeking to become MP's, and, unlimited work on the side aside, increasing the salary available is one of the few options available.

The 2024 General Election on 23:45 - Oct 26 with 690 viewsmajorraglan

The 2024 General Election on 21:48 - Oct 26 by Dr_Winston

But some of your MP’s are picking up some serious coin from second jobs they’ve gone in to since becoming MP.

I agree with your sentiment about paying them more, maybe even double but that would come with a caveat- no consulting, no second job unless it’s in the NHS or similar to maintain a skill, every penny in expenses is declared and transparency. Anyone breaching the rules is hammered, none of this old boy looking after each others backs malarkey, proper sanctions would be the order of the day.
The 2024 General Election on 00:04 - Oct 27 with 683 viewsDr_Winston

The 2024 General Election on 23:45 - Oct 26 by majorraglan

But some of your MP’s are picking up some serious coin from second jobs they’ve gone in to since becoming MP.

I agree with your sentiment about paying them more, maybe even double but that would come with a caveat- no consulting, no second job unless it’s in the NHS or similar to maintain a skill, every penny in expenses is declared and transparency. Anyone breaching the rules is hammered, none of this old boy looking after each others backs malarkey, proper sanctions would be the order of the day.

The first line is exactly the problem.

To earn the kind of money that they could without becoming MP's they're going to be trying to pick up the coin on the side.

One of my closest friends is everything anyone could want in an MP. Smart, hardworking, dedicated, knowledgeable and professional. Yet to become an MP he'd be looking at an immediate 50% pay cut.

Whilst that disparity exists we're going to be stuck with political placemen, "researchers", loyalists and more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024