Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is the BBC.. 02:30 - Oct 18 with 7041 viewsKendo_Nagasaki

nothing more than a state run broadcaster which fools the public into being an impartial observer, when it really is a propaganda machine that feeds you bullshit and forces you to pay for the privilege ???
Or is it a really honest corporation that has our true interests at heart?
Thouights?

Psycho killer Qu'est-ce que c'est?

Is the BBC.. on 03:05 - Oct 18 with 5000 viewsSonofNorfolt

Yes.
No.
When I was young, like many things, I thought that we were the honest ones, the INCORRUPTiBLES, Robespierre for the World.
Now, with all the different forms of information available, you can easily proove our complicity with the status quo.

It doesn't matter though because STRICTLY COME DANCING & THE X FACTOR are on this weekend.
Of course watching Rangers is not much better. Our opiate.

[Post edited 18 Oct 2013 3:29]
Is the BBC.. on 05:36 - Oct 18 with 4970 viewsisawqpratwcity

Compared to who? Fox News?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Is the BBC.. on 07:03 - Oct 18 with 4949 viewskysersosaqpr

Is the BBC.. on 05:36 - Oct 18 by isawqpratwcity

Or any national newspaper? The only true impartial news... Fortean Times.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Is the BBC.. on 08:06 - Oct 18 with 4895 viewsconnell10

no matter how much the rabid right spout off about it the bbc still prouduces some of the best programmes, FACT as for itv i wouldnt pish on it!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Is the BBC.. on 08:39 - Oct 18 with 4866 viewsdoogi55

not this old hat through the summer the murdoch press have had a campagne of slag ed millband off every day the mirror do the same to the tories so i use my brain to sort it all and make my own judgement..
the mail hate the bbc so does murdoch so i take no notice.
you do know the bbc dont get all the licence fee you pay
Is the BBC.. on 08:54 - Oct 18 with 4840 viewsBlackCrowe

Is the BBC.. on 05:36 - Oct 18 by isawqpratwcity

Difference is you don't have to pay for crap like Fox News. Compulsory licence fee for BBC whether you like the content or not.

The demise of the BBC is considerable. It's always been very left wing but not at the expense of quality programming, and always made a fair job of masking it's political leanings.

Now it fails to hide it's politics - News At Ten, Question Time etc, quality programming is the exception rather than the rule and it's pc-ness has gone mad (struggle to think of a radio presenter with a southern accent - all Scottish, Welsh, Yorks and Lancs accents.

Programming now is banal and lazy and unchallenging. It's sports coverage is rapidly turning into TalkShite without adverts, and most of the presenters both on TV and Radio irritate me.

There's still a few gems on TV and Radio but they and being advert-free justifies the licence fee any more.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Is the BBC.. on 08:59 - Oct 18 with 4836 viewsisawqpratwcity

Is the BBC.. on 08:39 - Oct 18 by doogi55

not this old hat through the summer the murdoch press have had a campagne of slag ed millband off every day the mirror do the same to the tories so i use my brain to sort it all and make my own judgement..
the mail hate the bbc so does murdoch so i take no notice.
you do know the bbc dont get all the licence fee you pay

Hilarious that you still have TV licences! A ludicrous anachronism.

We have the national broadcaster, ABC, for both TV and radio: commercial-free (except for ABC merchandise) and funded by the Federal government. Creative output is good, though not as good as the BBC.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Is the BBC.. on 13:07 - Oct 18 with 4767 viewsAntti_Heinola

Is the BBC.. on 08:54 - Oct 18 by BlackCrowe

Difference is you don't have to pay for crap like Fox News. Compulsory licence fee for BBC whether you like the content or not.

The demise of the BBC is considerable. It's always been very left wing but not at the expense of quality programming, and always made a fair job of masking it's political leanings.

Now it fails to hide it's politics - News At Ten, Question Time etc, quality programming is the exception rather than the rule and it's pc-ness has gone mad (struggle to think of a radio presenter with a southern accent - all Scottish, Welsh, Yorks and Lancs accents.

Programming now is banal and lazy and unchallenging. It's sports coverage is rapidly turning into TalkShite without adverts, and most of the presenters both on TV and Radio irritate me.

There's still a few gems on TV and Radio but they and being advert-free justifies the licence fee any more.

'Very left wing'? Laughable.

As for the licence fee. In a house of two adults, you pay less than £1.50 per week each for everything you get in return - TV, dedicated local radio (despite massive cutbacks), national radio, internet, BBC iplayer etc etc. If you really, really can't get £1.50 worth of entertainment out of that each week, you probably don't need a TV anyway.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Is the BBC.. on 13:18 - Oct 18 with 4752 viewsClive_Anderson

I think the BBC is the richest broadcaster in the world and yet it rarely seems to produce drama of the same quality of US networks such as The Wire, Newsroom and The Sopranos. Even the second tier US stuff like Mad Men, Lost and The Bridge is way ahead of any BBC output.

BBC comedy is rubbish these days as well.

As for news it commands a huge percentage of news media in the UK which is ludicrous for any broadcaster state or not regardless of what you think of their political views (I read something like 70%, although this may be wrong).

Too much money going to executives living the high life at the licence payers expense as well.

Time to introduce a subscription model so that those who want to watch it can choose to and the rest don't.
Is the BBC.. on 13:33 - Oct 18 with 4723 viewsR_from_afar

Is the BBC.. on 08:54 - Oct 18 by BlackCrowe

The BBC has a reputation for being left wing but some of the recent coverage of fracking and environmental matters has bordered on a party political broadcast for the Conservative party. Example: Countryfile on fracking: They set the CEO of Cuadrilla against a bloke who is running a poorly supported campaign for a miniscule, local protest group. Never mind the fact that there are national, international even, groups united agains fracking.

Still, at least it bore out the "false balance" findings of the Leveson report.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Is the BBC.. on 13:40 - Oct 18 with 4707 viewsBlackCrowe

Is the BBC.. on 13:07 - Oct 18 by Antti_Heinola

'Very left wing'? Laughable.

As for the licence fee. In a house of two adults, you pay less than £1.50 per week each for everything you get in return - TV, dedicated local radio (despite massive cutbacks), national radio, internet, BBC iplayer etc etc. If you really, really can't get £1.50 worth of entertainment out of that each week, you probably don't need a TV anyway.

Of course my opinion is 'laughable' and your's isn't.

And where did I say that I didn't want to pay for my licence.

I-don't-think-it-is-as-good-as-it-used-to-be. Is that clear enough?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Is the BBC.. on 13:47 - Oct 18 with 4691 viewsbaz_qpr

Nick Robinson Political Editor - Tory (former young conservatives chair)
James Landale - Old etonian tory (went to school with
Emily Maitless - Rabid right wing tory

Interestingly Allegra Stratton on newsnight comes across as a rabid right wing tory, but historically is Labour.

The old left wing bias stuff never really stands up to any scrutiny. Where as ITV and Sky news is unashamedly right wing and channel 4 news left wing. The BBC does at least make an attempt to be even handed
Is the BBC.. on 13:49 - Oct 18 with 4686 viewsbaz_qpr

You could say that, but in comparison to the £1000 a year I pay for Sky or Virgin its is phenomenal value for all the TV, News, Kids TV, Radio and Web I get in return
Is the BBC.. on 13:49 - Oct 18 with 4684 viewsClive_Anderson

Is the BBC.. on 13:33 - Oct 18 by R_from_afar

The BBC has a reputation for being left wing but some of the recent coverage of fracking and environmental matters has bordered on a party political broadcast for the Conservative party. Example: Countryfile on fracking: They set the CEO of Cuadrilla against a bloke who is running a poorly supported campaign for a miniscule, local protest group. Never mind the fact that there are national, international even, groups united agains fracking.

Still, at least it bore out the "false balance" findings of the Leveson report.

RFA

Off topic but I'm not really sure you could describe being pro-fracking as a typically right-wing. I'm sure a lot of Tory NIMBYs in the shires would be against it and anyway energy is a dirty business which is necessary for both right and left wing governments.

The BBC in this case was being pro-establishment which has realised the UK is headed for difficulties in energy in the near future and is trying to push fracking through. I think you're confusing anything you don't like with being Tory.
Is the BBC.. on 13:54 - Oct 18 with 4676 viewsSydneyRs

Come and live in Australia for a while and marvel at how fecking awful the TV is here. Trust me, you will appreciate the BBC a whole lot more once you have done that.

If there was a house fire in say Northolt would it make the BBC news? The equivalent makes the so called national TV news here.

Ironically the lowest budget channel SBS has the best global news coverage. Their slogan is "news from home, if you live in the world".
Is the BBC.. on 13:59 - Oct 18 with 4669 viewsClive_Anderson

Is the BBC.. on 13:47 - Oct 18 by baz_qpr

Nick Robinson Political Editor - Tory (former young conservatives chair)
James Landale - Old etonian tory (went to school with
Emily Maitless - Rabid right wing tory

Interestingly Allegra Stratton on newsnight comes across as a rabid right wing tory, but historically is Labour.

The old left wing bias stuff never really stands up to any scrutiny. Where as ITV and Sky news is unashamedly right wing and channel 4 news left wing. The BBC does at least make an attempt to be even handed

Not sure I understand your point really, is it that because there are some current or previously right-wing leaning people in the BBC then it proves that it is 100% unbiased.

The former controller of the BBC has admitted that it was biased towards the left in the 80s however:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/7976318/BBC-was-biased-against

Saying the BBC is not left-wing but ITV and Sky are unashamedly right-wing seems a bit odd too. I'd say ITV is probably the most neutral of the lot.
Is the BBC.. on 14:01 - Oct 18 with 4662 viewsR_from_afar

Is the BBC.. on 13:49 - Oct 18 by Clive_Anderson

Off topic but I'm not really sure you could describe being pro-fracking as a typically right-wing. I'm sure a lot of Tory NIMBYs in the shires would be against it and anyway energy is a dirty business which is necessary for both right and left wing governments.

The BBC in this case was being pro-establishment which has realised the UK is headed for difficulties in energy in the near future and is trying to push fracking through. I think you're confusing anything you don't like with being Tory.

You make a good point about the Tory MPs in the shires, they are anti-fracking too, but otherwise, the Conservatives are almost without exception pro-fracking, as is the right wing press.

I think your last sentence is pretty harsh though!

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Is the BBC.. on 14:03 - Oct 18 with 4653 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Some moderators on HYS are left, some right. I can tell which is on when my post's get deleted.
Twice mine has been near top rated and then been deleted with a change of mod.

Broadly happie-clappie would be a better way of describing it.

PS I'm freelance BBC staff.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2013 14:05]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Is the BBC.. on 14:08 - Oct 18 with 4639 viewsClive_Anderson

Is the BBC.. on 14:01 - Oct 18 by R_from_afar

You make a good point about the Tory MPs in the shires, they are anti-fracking too, but otherwise, the Conservatives are almost without exception pro-fracking, as is the right wing press.

I think your last sentence is pretty harsh though!

RFA

Left wingers tend to be more often into enviromental stuff and right-wingers more into the bottom line financially so you could have a point along those lines. However Germany has gone the green route with energy and after investing around a trillion Euros in it they have found it has actually pushed up their bills massively so that probably factors into their thinking of MPs here.

The Tories themselves have loads of MPs in the places the fracking will take place though so I imagine would not support it publically even if they thought so privately.

I personally think there's no rush as the gas isn't going anywhere and we should wait until other countries do it to see the longer term problems and benefits.

Sorry didn't mean to offend!
Is the BBC.. on 15:20 - Oct 18 with 4593 viewsderbyhoop

If you want to be critical of the BBC then just go and watch TV almost anywhere else in the world and, hopefully, you will appreciate that the UK is blessed with very high quality programming. that you struggle to get anywhere else. And that's based on personal experience in USA, S Africa, Australia, Ireland and France. It's not perfect but their remit is very wide.

As to bias, the evidence is very hard to prove. If there is bias from certain presenters, they will almost certainly get pulled back by their editors.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Is the BBC.. on 15:42 - Oct 18 with 4571 viewsbatmanhoop

it must be an age thing, if you think Eastenders is quality TV I despair and where has all the sport gone? Emily right-wing and rabid you're having a laugh. The BBC is biased towards the left without a shadow of doubt. It's had its day and I resent every penny it cost me to broadcast their left wing dross
Is the BBC.. on 15:57 - Oct 18 with 4558 viewsAntti_Heinola

Is the BBC.. on 13:40 - Oct 18 by BlackCrowe

Of course my opinion is 'laughable' and your's isn't.

And where did I say that I didn't want to pay for my licence.

I-don't-think-it-is-as-good-as-it-used-to-be. Is that clear enough?

well it's not laughable to me ;)

on re-reading, I'm not sure what you meant by this line...

"There's still a few gems on TV and Radio but they and being advert-free justifies the licence fee any more."

apologies if i got it wrong, i thought you were saying the few gems and being ad-free doesn't justify the licence fee - the any more bit throws me.

Bare bones.

Is the BBC.. on 15:59 - Oct 18 with 4552 viewsmrmonkey

Is the BBC.. on 15:42 - Oct 18 by batmanhoop

it must be an age thing, if you think Eastenders is quality TV I despair and where has all the sport gone? Emily right-wing and rabid you're having a laugh. The BBC is biased towards the left without a shadow of doubt. It's had its day and I resent every penny it cost me to broadcast their left wing dross

Any proof any other than I read it in The Daily Mail ?
Is the BBC.. on 16:01 - Oct 18 with 4549 viewsAntti_Heinola

Is the BBC.. on 13:18 - Oct 18 by Clive_Anderson

I think the BBC is the richest broadcaster in the world and yet it rarely seems to produce drama of the same quality of US networks such as The Wire, Newsroom and The Sopranos. Even the second tier US stuff like Mad Men, Lost and The Bridge is way ahead of any BBC output.

BBC comedy is rubbish these days as well.

As for news it commands a huge percentage of news media in the UK which is ludicrous for any broadcaster state or not regardless of what you think of their political views (I read something like 70%, although this may be wrong).

Too much money going to executives living the high life at the licence payers expense as well.

Time to introduce a subscription model so that those who want to watch it can choose to and the rest don't.

Well of course HBO can afford to funnel huge amounts of money into the sort of flagship shows you mention, whereas the BBC has all kinds of things to cover, not least the news, which I don't believe HBO supplies itself, so it's not really comparable in that respect. And in contrast, I think a lot of people in other countries would point to things like kids tv and natural history and news as being things the BBC still does better than pretty much anyone.

totally agree about the execs, though. Far too many freeloaders at the BBC, middle managers who do next to nothing but have cushy jobs. A subscription model, though, would probably kill it, and IMO that would be madness. The BBC is the envy of the rest of the world - we're so lucky to have it, for all its numerous faults, and it must be improved, but essentially it remains A Very Good Thing.

Bare bones.

Is the BBC.. on 16:12 - Oct 18 with 4529 viewsClive_Anderson

Is the BBC.. on 16:01 - Oct 18 by Antti_Heinola

Well of course HBO can afford to funnel huge amounts of money into the sort of flagship shows you mention, whereas the BBC has all kinds of things to cover, not least the news, which I don't believe HBO supplies itself, so it's not really comparable in that respect. And in contrast, I think a lot of people in other countries would point to things like kids tv and natural history and news as being things the BBC still does better than pretty much anyone.

totally agree about the execs, though. Far too many freeloaders at the BBC, middle managers who do next to nothing but have cushy jobs. A subscription model, though, would probably kill it, and IMO that would be madness. The BBC is the envy of the rest of the world - we're so lucky to have it, for all its numerous faults, and it must be improved, but essentially it remains A Very Good Thing.

The BBC budget is so large though you'd imagine it would be able to provide news coverage and also decent drama at the same time. It isn't just the lack of budget that is the problem either.

They're not that great at news these days with 90% of stories they cover being exactly the same and in the same order as ITV and Sky with only the political slant changing.

And I don't just mean the obvious major news stories I mean crap like going on and on about whatever pointless media storm is currently doing the rounds eg. Jonathan Ross and Russel Brand doing a prank phone call.

The BBC used to have a reputation for finding and cultivating talent especially in comedy, but that's long gone now and we're stuck being forced to pay for people like Marcus Brigstocke.

I'm struggling to think of what they're good at that the world is envious of these days.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024