Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? 04:04 - Jul 15 with 14803 viewsrbee

Interesting analysis here. From 10 minutes especially, England had no game plan other than don't concede, no system, critical of Gareth and Harry.

[Post edited 15 Jul 4:40]
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 20:17 - Jul 16 with 1003 viewspaulparker

on 01:00 - Jan 1 by

I think it’s to do with there being to much football on the box
Every team plays the same way , we know all the players, plus there are so many average teams who get through to these competitions
The World Cup of 90 was a hot summer we had a crap euros 2 years earlier and English teams were banned from Europe , we suddenly got a head of steam and went far the nation was gripped again with football and you could also relate to the players more , Parker , butcher , Waddle , Robson these blokes were us in a way but with a thousand times the skill on the pitch
1990 started a whole decade of feel good , football, fashion , music ,it’s something we all yearn for again, 2010 to present just feels like being in a loop of the same year over and over

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 21:27 - Jul 16 with 947 viewsNorthernr

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 20:17 - Jul 16 by paulparker

I think it’s to do with there being to much football on the box
Every team plays the same way , we know all the players, plus there are so many average teams who get through to these competitions
The World Cup of 90 was a hot summer we had a crap euros 2 years earlier and English teams were banned from Europe , we suddenly got a head of steam and went far the nation was gripped again with football and you could also relate to the players more , Parker , butcher , Waddle , Robson these blokes were us in a way but with a thousand times the skill on the pitch
1990 started a whole decade of feel good , football, fashion , music ,it’s something we all yearn for again, 2010 to present just feels like being in a loop of the same year over and over

All of that completely true and I agree with but misses a key detail... you were how old? Of course you fcking loved it, as you say it was a great time growing out of a grim time, but you were 35 years younger.

I absolutely loved Euro 96, I was a little kid, I lived in West London, I'd just got into QPR with my dad, went to a brilliant school, had loads of little mates, I didn't have a care in the world. It was fcking brilliant.

I then had a miserable teenage existence in a northern shithole and now I know all about death, grief, mortgages, daily commutes, credit ratings, pensions, covid lockdowns... My recollection of, say, the South Africa World Cup, is seeing that Lampard shot come down off the bar on a tiny TV piping freeview into the back bedroom somebody was letting me kip in after I'd walked out on my uni girlfriend. Life a state. Finances a state. Miserable.

I dare say in 30 years, when I strongly suspect England will be a good ten managers further on and still won't have won anything, there'll be people approaching the age we are now reminiscing about those oh so nearlies under Southgate and what a time they had in fcking Boxpark Croydon chucking beer over each other when Bellingham overhead kicked a last minute equaliser and so on.

I really couldn't recommend One Night In Turin about Italia 90 enough. Everybody should buy it and read it right now. It's not only a brilliant book but it's vital reading when setting Southgate in context against Robson, Venables, Hoddle and then the various disasters that followed.

Somebody mentions Keegan above, because fck me at least we'd win 4-3, 5-4, 6-5 and it would be entertaining. Remind me... how did it actually go when Keegan was our manager? We qualified for Euro 2000 through a play-off with Scotland, a play-off we were only in because Poland lost their last group game - we'd dropped qualifying points to Poland, Sweden and mighty Bulgaria and therefore relied on another result somewhere else just to get to a play off. We then lost 3-2 to Portugal in the first game despite being 2-0 up after a quarter of an hour, beat the worst German team in living memory, and then got eliminated by even mightier Romania - again having led the game 2-1. We lost our first qualifier for the World Cup to Germany and he resigned in the bogs. I must have missed all the 6-5 riotous fun we had.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 02:01 - Jul 17 with 791 viewsNov77

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 09:20 - Jul 17 with 676 viewssevenhoop

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 09:36 - Jul 15 by DWQPR

And the tactics Southgate employed got us to within 90 seconds of being eliminated in the last 16 against a team that’s rated over 50 places below us. And up to that point we were the second best team on the pitch. Even when we went ahead in extra time, we then sat back and made defensive substitutions.

this. There would be no Southgate live-in if we had gone out then, which we deserved to do, saved by a long throw and brilliant overhead kick from the "aren't I just great?" Bellingham. We were shocking throughout.

I thought Southgate's "jump the shark" moment was when, after the first game, bemoaned no Calvin Phillips replacement. WTF??
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 09:55 - Jul 17 with 645 viewsSydneyRs

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 09:20 - Jul 17 by sevenhoop

this. There would be no Southgate live-in if we had gone out then, which we deserved to do, saved by a long throw and brilliant overhead kick from the "aren't I just great?" Bellingham. We were shocking throughout.

I thought Southgate's "jump the shark" moment was when, after the first game, bemoaned no Calvin Phillips replacement. WTF??

Firstly Bellingham is only just 21 and still has some maturing to do. Secondly can't we just accept someone actually having huge confidence in their own ability? Its something we have not had enough of in international football but always seem to admire in opponents.
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 10:07 - Jul 17 with 628 viewsTheChef

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 21:27 - Jul 16 by Northernr

All of that completely true and I agree with but misses a key detail... you were how old? Of course you fcking loved it, as you say it was a great time growing out of a grim time, but you were 35 years younger.

I absolutely loved Euro 96, I was a little kid, I lived in West London, I'd just got into QPR with my dad, went to a brilliant school, had loads of little mates, I didn't have a care in the world. It was fcking brilliant.

I then had a miserable teenage existence in a northern shithole and now I know all about death, grief, mortgages, daily commutes, credit ratings, pensions, covid lockdowns... My recollection of, say, the South Africa World Cup, is seeing that Lampard shot come down off the bar on a tiny TV piping freeview into the back bedroom somebody was letting me kip in after I'd walked out on my uni girlfriend. Life a state. Finances a state. Miserable.

I dare say in 30 years, when I strongly suspect England will be a good ten managers further on and still won't have won anything, there'll be people approaching the age we are now reminiscing about those oh so nearlies under Southgate and what a time they had in fcking Boxpark Croydon chucking beer over each other when Bellingham overhead kicked a last minute equaliser and so on.

I really couldn't recommend One Night In Turin about Italia 90 enough. Everybody should buy it and read it right now. It's not only a brilliant book but it's vital reading when setting Southgate in context against Robson, Venables, Hoddle and then the various disasters that followed.

Somebody mentions Keegan above, because fck me at least we'd win 4-3, 5-4, 6-5 and it would be entertaining. Remind me... how did it actually go when Keegan was our manager? We qualified for Euro 2000 through a play-off with Scotland, a play-off we were only in because Poland lost their last group game - we'd dropped qualifying points to Poland, Sweden and mighty Bulgaria and therefore relied on another result somewhere else just to get to a play off. We then lost 3-2 to Portugal in the first game despite being 2-0 up after a quarter of an hour, beat the worst German team in living memory, and then got eliminated by even mightier Romania - again having led the game 2-1. We lost our first qualifier for the World Cup to Germany and he resigned in the bogs. I must have missed all the 6-5 riotous fun we had.

This post has been edited by an administrator

"I dare say in 30 years, when I strongly suspect England will be a good ten managers further on and still won't have won anything,"

Well quite - and now we seem to be looking at Guardiola as manager, like he will magically win us a trophy in no time at all. Just feels a little like Capello - big name, loads of money. But nothing is guaranteed.

And yes All Played Out/One Night in Turin, one of my favourite books ever. A must read.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 13:03 - Jul 17 with 525 viewsNed_Kennedys

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 10:07 - Jul 17 by TheChef

"I dare say in 30 years, when I strongly suspect England will be a good ten managers further on and still won't have won anything,"

Well quite - and now we seem to be looking at Guardiola as manager, like he will magically win us a trophy in no time at all. Just feels a little like Capello - big name, loads of money. But nothing is guaranteed.

And yes All Played Out/One Night in Turin, one of my favourite books ever. A must read.

Do you honestly think an elite level manager would not have won us at least ONE trophy in the last 4 tournaments?
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 13:54 - Jul 17 with 469 viewsTheChef

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 13:03 - Jul 17 by Ned_Kennedys

Do you honestly think an elite level manager would not have won us at least ONE trophy in the last 4 tournaments?

Maybe. Maybe not. Would they be as lucky as Southgate?

Guardiola is very intense in his work, suits the day to day club management but not sure it works so well with stop/start international management.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024