Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? 04:04 - Jul 15 with 12740 viewsrbee

Interesting analysis here. From 10 minutes especially, England had no game plan other than don't concede, no system, critical of Gareth and Harry.

[Post edited 15 Jul 4:40]
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 18:59 - Jul 15 with 1034 viewsPhilmyRs

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 18:37 - Jul 15 by Padulas_Shampoo

Interested to hear which 5 players you'd leave out of the Spain side for English players?

International managers bear no resemblance to club managers. Capello one of the greatest club managers of all time did nothing at international level for instance. Jogi Low won a world cup then never had any interest at club level. Didier Deschamps finished 10th in the French league and was sacked before getting to the Euros finals, winning a World Cup, then getting straight back to the World Cup final.

I'm not really defending Southgate... I think he's had his time and it's been good, nearly great. But all this stuff about how incredible England players are these days winds me up. There are plenty of international teams around that look just as good as England written down.

All the Man City boys and Bellingham would get in Spains team. And they’d look like world beaters playing for them.
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 19:01 - Jul 15 with 1022 viewsParkRoyalR

Does anyone know what Southgate's tactics were, particularly when in possession of the ball and on the rare occasion attacking in numbers?

To have an XG of 1 goal per game with a front 3 with 80 goals between them this season for Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Man City is just abysmal.

To win 2 games out of 7 in regulation time against that quality of opposition is unacceptable given that squad.

The writing was on the wall all tournament and some were blinded by a few fortunate late worldies that dug their Manager and his lack of tactics out of a hole,

Apart from 10 minutes yesterday were schooled all over the pitch, and with those players that's down to the Manager, a Manager who had the gall to negotiate a £5m salary package worthy of an elite Manager, which he never has been and never will be.
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 19:04 - Jul 15 with 1002 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 18:53 - Jul 15 by gazza1

Pickford, Walker, Stones, Saka.......but before the tournament Shaw, Kane, Rice.....

Venables did ok as a top manager both Club & Country, I'm sure there are more.

GS is indefensible, some of the stuff he did was so poor, starting with his squad he picked and the players he left out didn't help whatsoever, the tactics, team selections and substitutions. And we have a very good squad of players if they are played the way that they should be doing. GS is the luckiest England Manager ever with his way through to semi final and cup finals, this Euro's he won 2 matches, during normal time, in 7 against poor to average teams, scored 7 goals - not much difference to the last tournaments. I am not saying it is all GS fault but he is the biggest offender imho.

I asked which 5 Spain players you'd leave out... Not which England players you'd randomly put in.

Don't believe for a second they's want Walker more than Carvajal or Rice more than Rodri. Can't believe they wouldn't have been very comfortable and excited with Williams and Lawal too.

Venables lost a Euros semi final vs Germany at Wembley. And he's done better than Southgate's WC semi and two Euros finals?

I swear I'm not Gareth Southgate's agent or anything but this is just contradictory at this point.
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 19:07 - Jul 15 with 989 viewsgazza1

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 19:01 - Jul 15 by ParkRoyalR

Does anyone know what Southgate's tactics were, particularly when in possession of the ball and on the rare occasion attacking in numbers?

To have an XG of 1 goal per game with a front 3 with 80 goals between them this season for Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Man City is just abysmal.

To win 2 games out of 7 in regulation time against that quality of opposition is unacceptable given that squad.

The writing was on the wall all tournament and some were blinded by a few fortunate late worldies that dug their Manager and his lack of tactics out of a hole,

Apart from 10 minutes yesterday were schooled all over the pitch, and with those players that's down to the Manager, a Manager who had the gall to negotiate a £5m salary package worthy of an elite Manager, which he never has been and never will be.

New season PRR....we agree 100%%

Never rated GS as a player either actually, lucky to get caps for England. I think the FA like him because he is a 'yes man' no issues and is very clean.
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 19:11 - Jul 15 with 971 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 19:07 - Jul 15 by gazza1

Never rated GS as a player either actually, lucky to get caps for England. I think the FA like him because he is a 'yes man' no issues and is very clean.

And you think the next one they choose will be some sort of footballing Billy Idol?

I'm happy to leave it here... maybe I'm wrong... But I would predict that the next Engand Manager doesn't get to the heights that Southgate has. And even if they do it will be a very similar style of play. No chance a new manager suddenly encourages some sort of attacking revolution that lets us rip through teams like Spain and France in knockout games.

I'll be the first to hold my hands up if they do. I think it's more likely that in 10 / 15 years we'll look back on Southgate's spell as a highlight and better than what followed though.
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 19:20 - Jul 15 with 955 viewsgazza1

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 19:04 - Jul 15 by Padulas_Shampoo

I asked which 5 Spain players you'd leave out... Not which England players you'd randomly put in.

Don't believe for a second they's want Walker more than Carvajal or Rice more than Rodri. Can't believe they wouldn't have been very comfortable and excited with Williams and Lawal too.

Venables lost a Euros semi final vs Germany at Wembley. And he's done better than Southgate's WC semi and two Euros finals?

I swear I'm not Gareth Southgate's agent or anything but this is just contradictory at this point.

Well, I would find space in the Spain team for the players that I mentioned. I like the Spanish RB but I'd have Walker over him, I would play Rice with Rodri. Venables didn't have the squad the GS had to select, to leave Grealish, the Palace LB out was poor decisions and bring Bowen (he wont be around for the next tournament!!), the L'pool player and a couple of others were further errors.

And I am not debating that Spain were not a good side but I think we had enough to win the game if we got it right (Lost their best p[layer too at HT)....they were the best we played by a million miles which shows how many poor teams that we did not beat, i'm including the mighty Holland who were very average too.

Its your opinion and that is fine, I just think that we should have won at least one of the last 3 big tournements but we failed ever time.
[Post edited 15 Jul 19:26]
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 19:41 - Jul 15 with 917 viewsdaveB

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 19:01 - Jul 15 by ParkRoyalR

How is getting to a final unacceptable, because we didn't win them all in normal time? it's gone beyond parody at this stage

I hope the next manager plays the tactics and style you want with these players and it works but I'm not sure that person is out there

It seems to have been wiped from history that England played open and attacking in the last world cup and were home before the semi final, playing that way guarantees nothing.

On that front 3 doing great for your club does not equate to doing great for your country. Bernardo Silva is brilliant for City but hardly ever does anything for Portugal.

All we heard about Foden was he had to play number 10, he did for the last 3 games and did nothing bar a good 40 minutes against Holland, that's not all on the manager sometimes players are given the chance and don't take it.
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 19:46 - Jul 15 with 901 viewsdaveB

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 19:20 - Jul 15 by gazza1

Well, I would find space in the Spain team for the players that I mentioned. I like the Spanish RB but I'd have Walker over him, I would play Rice with Rodri. Venables didn't have the squad the GS had to select, to leave Grealish, the Palace LB out was poor decisions and bring Bowen (he wont be around for the next tournament!!), the L'pool player and a couple of others were further errors.

And I am not debating that Spain were not a good side but I think we had enough to win the game if we got it right (Lost their best p[layer too at HT)....they were the best we played by a million miles which shows how many poor teams that we did not beat, i'm including the mighty Holland who were very average too.

Its your opinion and that is fine, I just think that we should have won at least one of the last 3 big tournements but we failed ever time.

Venables had a fantastic squad of attacking players, Shearer, Ferdinand, Fowler, Gazza, Sherringham, Mcmanaman, Platt, Anderton and Barmby, he left likes of Ian Wright and Le Tissier out as well.

England always have very good players and good options
[Post edited 15 Jul 19:48]
Login to get fewer ads

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 19:48 - Jul 15 with 892 viewsParkRoyalR

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 19:07 - Jul 15 by gazza1

Goodman Gazza,

New leaf and all that so probably best I don't mention a certain Scottish No 9 dominating the Spanish Centre halves in a 2-0 win at Hampden in the Qualifiers (joking!)
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 19:59 - Jul 15 with 868 viewsParkRoyalR

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 19:41 - Jul 15 by daveB

How is getting to a final unacceptable, because we didn't win them all in normal time? it's gone beyond parody at this stage

I hope the next manager plays the tactics and style you want with these players and it works but I'm not sure that person is out there

It seems to have been wiped from history that England played open and attacking in the last world cup and were home before the semi final, playing that way guarantees nothing.

On that front 3 doing great for your club does not equate to doing great for your country. Bernardo Silva is brilliant for City but hardly ever does anything for Portugal.

All we heard about Foden was he had to play number 10, he did for the last 3 games and did nothing bar a good 40 minutes against Holland, that's not all on the manager sometimes players are given the chance and don't take it.

Got to a final through a very weak draw and some moments of exceptional individual skill and finishing from Bellingham, Saka and Palmer.

An XG of 1 Goal per game against that opposition suggests there was no coherent attacking play ingrained in that team, and there was'nt, and that's down to the Manager.

Setting up a team to defend is not difficult, setting up a team that can create chances and score goals is where the elite Managers earn their wages, and he's proven not to be capable of doing that, which is a missed opportunity considering how the likes of Guehi stepped up.
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 20:40 - Jul 15 with 823 views100percent

Is this moment comparable to our own keep Warburton/Lose Warburton moment?
Obviously different standards and style etc, but there were many arguing that the grass was greener, also lots that shouted for him to stay....
is this the turning point on the England situation?
Personally, I can't ever see someone like Klopp taking the role, and after the dignity and respect factor that Southgate has nurtured, would we accept a manager from beyond our shores again? It's an attractive role - 5m salary, semi full time.... but it's definitely a poison chalice to some degree.
Howe would be a decent shout - but why would he leave Newcastle in their current position - unless he gets pushed very early in the season of course.
FWIW, I've enjoyed watching England under Southgate, he's obviously not a tactical genius, but it feels like he's grown into the role and continues to grow into the role...
Difficult one - definitely as per the Warburton situation....
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 21:30 - Jul 15 with 751 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 15:33 - Jul 15 by Northernr

Case for the defence - and look I do agree with a lot of what's been said about too negative, going to a tournament not knowing his best team, square pegs etc - we got through a tough semi-final with a goal from two of his substitutes combining, and we equalised last night with a goal from another substitution he made taking off his main striker in the process. That's not bad impact from a manager in two big games, nor a manager shirking big decisions. Changing out of the system you've gone into the tournament with and moving to three at the back mid tournament is a pretty brave and bold move, no sign of stubbornness or caution there.

Spain looked excellent all the way through to me, a cut above even the Germans who'd also looked very good up to the point they played Spain. We've lost 2-1, had that mad scramble with a couple of goalline clearances, and another day and another shoe size their winning goal gets VARd off. Similar to France at the World Cup, we miss a penalty and lose to a good side.

The problem Southgate has got I think goes back to the huge regret over the final with Italy at Wembley, and Croatia in Russia before that, both of which we really should have won and sat back and defended and people have never forgiven him for it. It colours everything we think about how he goes about his job.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I would argue that the substitutes highlighted a manager shirking big decisions. Despite visibly improving England every time they came on, Southgate would revert to the usual suspects for the next game. How Palmer, in particular, didn't get a start is beyond me.
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 22:05 - Jul 15 with 695 viewsDeanoMD

Yes they did, he totally arsed it up.

We have no identity as a team and play with no style.

Luck got us to the final where we were shown up for what we are, a shambles.

He needs to go now and Graham effing Potter is not the answer.
[Post edited 16 Jul 8:02]
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 22:32 - Jul 15 with 666 viewsdaveB

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 19:59 - Jul 15 by ParkRoyalR

Got to a final through a very weak draw and some moments of exceptional individual skill and finishing from Bellingham, Saka and Palmer.

An XG of 1 Goal per game against that opposition suggests there was no coherent attacking play ingrained in that team, and there was'nt, and that's down to the Manager.

Setting up a team to defend is not difficult, setting up a team that can create chances and score goals is where the elite Managers earn their wages, and he's proven not to be capable of doing that, which is a missed opportunity considering how the likes of Guehi stepped up.

sick of hearing about weak draw, The Swiss and Holland are not weak teams but seem to be viewed as that after England beat them. The Swiss knocked France out in the last Euros, regularly beat the top teams in the nations league and the Dutch were again a talented team. If England had won last night it would have been oh well Spain are not as good as they used to be, young team blah blah

For me setting up a team to win football matches is the job ands that's what he's done, he doesn't have time with the players to work on patterns of play as club managers can and create this style you want to see. What your XG is or how you win them is irrelevant at international level, it's so different to club football

These tournaments come at a time of the year when the English players are knackered after a long season and it showed, our best players this tournament were ones who hadn't played 50/60 club matches, our best players were done after an hour each game

Even these elite managers you speak of like Pep, Klopp etc all lost plenty of big games over the years, how often does Pep over think the big games and blow them.

As a nation we've got to 3 finals in our history and 6 semi finals, he's been manager for 2 of those finals and 3 semi finals. Whoever takes over has a massive job on his hands to match that let alone better it with a different style of play that he'll have about 30 days a year to work on with players
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 22:38 - Jul 15 with 633 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Dave I couldn’t agree more with every word you’ve written here. It appears we’re in the minority but I’m right with you for what it’s worth!

I’m honestly a bit baffled by the vitriol. This is the only tournament we haven’t been very good in and he still got to the bloody final and only lost that in the 85th minute.

Anyway I genuinely hope we’re wrong and this next manager is going to get us playing like prime 70s Brazil on the way to winning every tournament with this astoundingly brilliant squad we have!
[Post edited 15 Jul 22:40]
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 23:23 - Jul 15 with 599 viewsNed_Kennedys

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 22:32 - Jul 15 by daveB

sick of hearing about weak draw, The Swiss and Holland are not weak teams but seem to be viewed as that after England beat them. The Swiss knocked France out in the last Euros, regularly beat the top teams in the nations league and the Dutch were again a talented team. If England had won last night it would have been oh well Spain are not as good as they used to be, young team blah blah

For me setting up a team to win football matches is the job ands that's what he's done, he doesn't have time with the players to work on patterns of play as club managers can and create this style you want to see. What your XG is or how you win them is irrelevant at international level, it's so different to club football

These tournaments come at a time of the year when the English players are knackered after a long season and it showed, our best players this tournament were ones who hadn't played 50/60 club matches, our best players were done after an hour each game

Even these elite managers you speak of like Pep, Klopp etc all lost plenty of big games over the years, how often does Pep over think the big games and blow them.

As a nation we've got to 3 finals in our history and 6 semi finals, he's been manager for 2 of those finals and 3 semi finals. Whoever takes over has a massive job on his hands to match that let alone better it with a different style of play that he'll have about 30 days a year to work on with players

Disagree with most of that.

Sick of hearing about England not having a weaker draw: Spain had to play (and they beat) Croatia, Italy, Germany and France to reach the final. Only someone who doesn’t understand football would claim that was not the tougher draw.

England’s stats were terrible throughout the whole tournament: those are facts and can’t be ignored to fit an agenda to support the manager.

Surely ALL the top European players have had long seasons or is it just the English players?

Any attempt to suggest Pep or Klopp would not have done better with that squad in that tournament is fanciful: they are elite world class managers and tactically are miles ahead of Southgate.

The next manager will be given plenty of time to get the team and tactics right, just as Southgate was when he had nearly 2 years in the role before the 2018 World Cup. Plenty of friendlies, Nations League and easy qualifying games to play some front foot attacking football.

Most agree Southgate has done alright considering his limitations: now is the time to push on and get to the next stage of winning a tournament as clearly that is beyond Gareth.
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 23:45 - Jul 15 with 549 viewsdaveB

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 23:23 - Jul 15 by Ned_Kennedys

Sick of hearing about England not having a weaker draw: Spain had to play (and they beat) Croatia, Italy, Germany and France to reach the final. Only someone who doesn’t understand football would claim that was not the tougher draw.

England’s stats were terrible throughout the whole tournament: those are facts and can’t be ignored to fit an agenda to support the manager.

Surely ALL the top European players have had long seasons or is it just the English players?

Any attempt to suggest Pep or Klopp would not have done better with that squad in that tournament is fanciful: they are elite world class managers and tactically are miles ahead of Southgate.

The next manager will be given plenty of time to get the team and tactics right, just as Southgate was when he had nearly 2 years in the role before the 2018 World Cup. Plenty of friendlies, Nations League and easy qualifying games to play some front foot attacking football.

Most agree Southgate has done alright considering his limitations: now is the time to push on and get to the next stage of winning a tournament as clearly that is beyond Gareth.

of course they had a tougher draw but Englands was far from easy, this nonsense that England only got to the final because the draw was easy is laughable

Of course all European players have long seasons and the big stars all struggled to make an impact, thats what I meant by that. The big stars in our team looked mentally and physically shattered, that won't change under the next manager especially when the next tournament is played in blistering heat

I don't disagree Pep or Klopp would be very good, they are great club managers although it was only a few weeks ago when this board was full of people saying Klopp was a fraud.
Would they do better? I'm not sure really as better is winning the thing and it's not as if they never lose big games and nowadays international football is not the step up it used to be, they are already managing at the very highest level

I do think they should change managers now and give someone else a go but for whoever it is to do better than Southgate and change the playing style is going to take a hell of an effort, his record is outstanding. I'm not sure this manager people want exists
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 23:56 - Jul 15 with 534 viewsconnell10

Surely the solution is for England just to copy Spains style of play....easy....I'll take my 5 mill now ta .

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 00:20 - Jul 16 with 507 viewsSydneyRs

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 18:59 - Jul 15 by PhilmyRs

All the Man City boys and Bellingham would get in Spains team. And they’d look like world beaters playing for them.

This. They are good enough to play for City, probably the best team in the world with probably the best coach in the world, and top club teams are certainly better than international sides.
[Post edited 16 Jul 0:34]
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 00:22 - Jul 16 with 491 viewsSydneyRs

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 22:32 - Jul 15 by daveB

France would have been in our side of the draw if they were able to win their group.
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 00:24 - Jul 16 with 471 viewsSydneyRs

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 19:46 - Jul 15 by daveB

Venables had a fantastic squad of attacking players, Shearer, Ferdinand, Fowler, Gazza, Sherringham, Mcmanaman, Platt, Anderton and Barmby, he left likes of Ian Wright and Le Tissier out as well.

England always have very good players and good options
[Post edited 15 Jul 19:48]

We've not had the technical ability to match certain nations in the past. That's the difference now. Also none of those names were good enough to be playing for the world's best club sides, which several of the current England squad are. The type of football being played in the prem in terms of tactics etc is also very different from back then.
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 00:30 - Jul 16 with 459 viewsrbee

I do actually think that an Elite manager, working with a group of Elite players, could work on patterns of play over a couple of days. It would be akin to The New Manager Bounce.

A group of Elite musicans who have never met could walk in to a studio with a song writer and leave at the end of the day with their song recorded exactly as the songwriter had envisaged it.

Under Gareth we have had fortunate draws in recent competitions that is fact. Both Switzerland and The Netherlands are good football teams, currently we are better so should be winning those games.

Dave, you hit the nail pn the head when you said ''For me setting up a team to win football matches is the job and that's what he's done.'' Against the better nations Gareth sets up his team to not lose football matches. Big difference.

The matches against Croatia and France were simply awful, even a football thicko like me was screaming at the television 'Make some substitutions, change it' as Croatia and Italy began to dominate these games. No changes came until after the inevitable goals.

Listen, as everyone says these days, the Gareth bashing has to stop. Overall he has done a wonderful job as manager of the England football team. He has united the team, the nation, gone deep into many competitions and brought pride back to the badge.

The history books will show Gareth in a very good light and he won't be viewed as the nearly man as he is today. We part on very good terms, thank you Gareth Southgate.
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 00:33 - Jul 16 with 457 viewsNorthernr

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 23:23 - Jul 15 by Ned_Kennedys

"Sick of hearing about England not having a weaker draw: Spain had to play (and they beat) Croatia, Italy, Germany and France to reach the final."

And yet we're beating our manager up for not knocking them over in a final which finished 2-1 and we had a double goalline clearance against us right at the death.

Spain are pretty brilliant.
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 00:39 - Jul 16 with 453 viewsSydneyRs

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 19:20 - Jul 15 by gazza1

100% should have won the last Euros, massive opportunity thrown away. Italy failed to make the world cups either side of the tournament and went out of this one meekly. They were there for the taking and we threw it away.

Spain are much better than Italy were, but I agree are beatable and we have good enough players to do it. We stumbled through the tournament despite not having a defined playing style and therefore never really playing well. If we can still get to a final doing that then anything is possible with the right coaching.

GS is too limited to lead this group of players who play for top coaches at their clubs. The party line has to be towed publicly of course, but I'd be amazed if a lot of the players were not pretty frustrated with GS and his staff, given what they are used to at club level.
Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 00:44 - Jul 16 with 446 viewsrbee

Did Southgate's tactics cost England? on 00:33 - Jul 16 by Northernr

"Sick of hearing about England not having a weaker draw: Spain had to play (and they beat) Croatia, Italy, Germany and France to reach the final."

And yet we're beating our manager up for not knocking them over in a final which finished 2-1 and we had a double goalline clearance against us right at the death.

Spain are pretty brilliant.

Spain were the best team in the tournament, they won every game etc

I am certainly not beating up Gareth for losing the game, no way.

However I am beating him up for his team selection, tactics and for attempting to stretch the game to penalties without replacing tired players. After we scored we should have made a couple of positive subtitutions in an attempt to capitalise on our brief moment of ascendancy in the game.

Spain were the better team but it is still a game that we could have won. United beat City in the FA Cup Final.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024