Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread 23:10 - Jun 25 with 15086 viewsNed_Kennedys

We’ve had three match threads from a Southgate fan and three terrible England performances so surely it’s time to have one from a Southgate critic?

Walker switched to LB, TAA in at right back, Bellingham dropped back next to Rice, Foden central, Gordon on the left and Palmer on the right. Come on Gareth: you can do it!
[Post edited 27 Jun 15:28]
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 17:10 - Jun 27 with 1740 viewsMatch82

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 15:29 - Jun 27 by BazzaInTheLoft

Well, this is the thing isn't it.

All the concerns pre tournament was about the defence. We've looked unbeatable at the back is why we earned a point from frankly a Denmark side that had us beat in every other area.

I can't remember Pickford having to do fck all really.

Credit where credit is due I think.

For as dull as it's been, if you believe the advanced metrics the expected goals conceded for England is lower than anyone else in the tournament.

It actually makes me feel better about our chances against the better sides of we get that far, but I don't understand for the life of me why we've been playing like that against sides we should be attacking ruthlessly
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 17:21 - Jun 27 with 1714 viewsBenny_the_Ball

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 16:32 - Jun 27 by Ned_Kennedys

Yeah I meant TAA at RB.
Left back has been a real issue going forward in all three games: Foden has been offering no width on the left so Trippier unable to pass forward with his left foot just hasn’t worked.
Hopefully Shaw gets a good run on Sunday and can play full minutes for the rest of the tournament: otherwise I’d rush Walker over there as at least he has pace and might be able to generate a few overlaps.

Agree. I feel a bit for Foden as not only has he has been played out of position on the left but there has been no genuine left back to support him or provide an overlap. At the start of the tournament I would've like to have seen Bellingham revert to central midfield with Foden in the 10 but Gareth instead decided to experiment with TAA in midfield. Indeed, England started the tournament with 3 right backs in the team; 1 at right back, 1 at left back, and 1 in central midfield. A bonkers experiment which thankfully didn't cost England its place at the tournament. With all that being said, England now have a real opportunity to kick on. One just has to hope that Gareth starts putting round pegs in round holes and has the courage to allow the players to play on the front foot. Given his track record, it feels a vain hope but with this likely to be his final tournament perhaps he'll finally throw the shackles off.
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 20:08 - Jun 27 with 1642 viewsCLAREMAN1995

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 11:41 - Jun 27 by connell10

3-0 England feck it

I would not be shocked at all if England gave them a hammering and take advantage of the way the other results fell their way .They have heard all the negative stuff so I think they will respond on the field and could get on a serious roll with that talent..
I would start Palmer myself he is so full of energy and drive it would light the fire and like most posters agree its not the keeper or defense that has issues .
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 22:12 - Jun 27 with 1538 viewsSuperhoops2808

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 16:23 - Jun 27 by BazzaInTheLoft

Am I the only one that thinks fullbacks haven't been a problem for us?

Correct

Walker has been great - Trippier has done nothing wrong and until Shaw is fit will do.

The defence is not the issue, and in fact the best player of our tournament has been the Palace defender

Until he puts Bellingham next to Rice and Gordon on the left, we will continue to struggle. Gallagher, and TAA are not the answer
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 22:27 - Jun 27 with 1508 viewsChrisNW6

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 22:12 - Jun 27 by Superhoops2808

Correct

Walker has been great - Trippier has done nothing wrong and until Shaw is fit will do.

The defence is not the issue, and in fact the best player of our tournament has been the Palace defender

Until he puts Bellingham next to Rice and Gordon on the left, we will continue to struggle. Gallagher, and TAA are not the answer

Trippier has done nothing wrong defensively but god it's problem when he goes forward. The left side with him and Foden is a real problem.

I would prefer Maino next to Rice and potentially not start either Bellingham or Foden and play Palmer. Southgate will never do it but Saka can also play on the left.

Great headaches to have and I'm confident for Sunday.
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 22:52 - Jun 27 with 1467 viewsLblock

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 15:29 - Jun 27 by BazzaInTheLoft

Well, this is the thing isn't it.

All the concerns pre tournament was about the defence. We've looked unbeatable at the back is why we earned a point from frankly a Denmark side that had us beat in every other area.

I can't remember Pickford having to do fck all really.

Credit where credit is due I think.

My God you lurvvve Safegate don’t you?

We’ll win Sunday and so we should
But it’ll be a grind
Yet another tournament where the route to the latter stage has been unbelievably kind.
However the first decent team we come up against will pick us off mainly due to Safegate being out manoeuvred

24 times we’ve played teams ranked as FIFA Top 10 under GS; his record is FOUR wins.
Yes he’s gone deep into tournaments but look at the teams we’ve beaten such as Wales, Tunisia and the such

I want to see Safegate on a balcony, leaning on the balustrade, chin on palms deep in thought. Then him to surprise us with a formation change and really going for it with a 3-0 win for us and a tournament spark. Yes he hasn’t got Trevor Steven, Beardsley etc but he’s gone other options

Can’t see it.
So he’ll never come up to the ankles of Sir Bobby…… but I hope he does!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 08:11 - Jun 28 with 1364 viewsdaveB

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 22:52 - Jun 27 by Lblock

But it’ll be a grind
Yet another tournament where the route to the latter stage has been unbelievably kind.
However the first decent team we come up against will pick us off mainly due to Safegate being out manoeuvred

24 times we’ve played teams ranked as FIFA Top 10 under GS; his record is FOUR wins.
Yes he’s gone deep into tournaments but look at the teams we’ve beaten such as Wales, Tunisia and the such

I want to see Safegate on a balcony, leaning on the balustrade, chin on palms deep in thought. Then him to surprise us with a formation change and really going for it with a 3-0 win for us and a tournament spark. Yes he hasn’t got Trevor Steven, Beardsley etc but he’s gone other options

Can’t see it.

To be fair Sir Bobby also went out of every tournament the first time we met anyone decent, same as every England manager since Alf Ramsey. Not comparing who is better or worse but it's an English thing and goes back decades.

The draw has been kind although I kind of feel this team needs a high jeopardy game like Germany in the last Euros and you either rise to it or go home. We'll likely get that in the quarter finals with a tough but winnable game.

Sunday feels like a no win one really as anything other than a win is Iceland territory from 2016 heads rolling etc and if we do win it's unlikely that anyone is going to be convinced that it will be any different to normal when we face someone good. Just need to get the job done and onto the next round
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 08:17 - Jun 28 with 1358 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

But it’ll be a grind

Can’t see it.

I guess it would look like love to someone who hates everything.
Login to get fewer ads

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 08:50 - Jun 28 with 1337 viewsLblock

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 08:17 - Jun 28 by BazzaInTheLoft

I guess it would look like love to someone who hates everything.

Not everything..... for instance I love moaning

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 08:54 - Jun 28 with 1328 viewsGaryBannister86

But it’ll be a grind

Can’t see it.

Whatever you think of Southgate, it is funny to use "Sir Bobby" as your comparison as the arguments for and against Southgate are exactly the same.

BUT HE GOT US TO A WORLD CUP SEMI IN 1990

> yes, but apart from the semi we were totally rubbish in at least 3 of the games
> we cheated past Cameroon
> we played the might of N Ireland and Egypt, lost as soon as we played a top side

As I always say, it will only become "Sir Gareth" in England fans eyes once he has long gone and we have had 3 consecutive tournaments of not qualifying or going out in the group stage.

Having said that, I do think GS has lost the plot a bit in this one. Still time.
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 09:42 - Jun 28 with 1290 viewsLblock

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 08:54 - Jun 28 by GaryBannister86

Whatever you think of Southgate, it is funny to use "Sir Bobby" as your comparison as the arguments for and against Southgate are exactly the same.

BUT HE GOT US TO A WORLD CUP SEMI IN 1990

> yes, but apart from the semi we were totally rubbish in at least 3 of the games
> we cheated past Cameroon
> we played the might of N Ireland and Egypt, lost as soon as we played a top side

As I always say, it will only become "Sir Gareth" in England fans eyes once he has long gone and we have had 3 consecutive tournaments of not qualifying or going out in the group stage.

Having said that, I do think GS has lost the plot a bit in this one. Still time.

Yeah….. Belgium and Schifo were shite in ‘90 weren’t they.
Holland with Ruud etc clearly a pushover

Cameroon were fantastic
Don’t get your cheating stance, that was a monumental effort to get past them.

I’d say we were better than the Jerries in that game and deserved to win.
The lottery of penalties killed us yet again.

Maybe 1990 was such a good year for me that I’m inexplicably emotionally attached to Sir Bobby, a man whose managerial career GS will never emulate.
However my point was that Sir Bobby realised he needed to change back in ‘86 and he did - mid tournament after two poor results. What followed was a Lineker hatrick to get out of the group, another decent three goal win and then the hand of God
Can you see Safegate going for it now and being brave as he banged on about after picking his squad?
Me neither!!!

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 09:57 - Jun 28 with 1274 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Are we completely skipping past 1988?

Doesn’t suite anyone’s argument I guess.
[Post edited 28 Jun 9:58]
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 10:04 - Jun 28 with 1259 viewsGaryBannister86

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 09:42 - Jun 28 by Lblock

Yeah….. Belgium and Schifo were shite in ‘90 weren’t they.
Holland with Ruud etc clearly a pushover

Cameroon were fantastic
Don’t get your cheating stance, that was a monumental effort to get past them.

I’d say we were better than the Jerries in that game and deserved to win.
The lottery of penalties killed us yet again.

Maybe 1990 was such a good year for me that I’m inexplicably emotionally attached to Sir Bobby, a man whose managerial career GS will never emulate.
However my point was that Sir Bobby realised he needed to change back in ‘86 and he did - mid tournament after two poor results. What followed was a Lineker hatrick to get out of the group, another decent three goal win and then the hand of God
Can you see Safegate going for it now and being brave as he banged on about after picking his squad?
Me neither!!!

Yeah I was exaggerating the points to show the similarity between the arguments with Southgate and Robson.

I would argue GS has emulated Robson.
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 11:37 - Jun 28 with 1157 viewsLblock

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 09:57 - Jun 28 by BazzaInTheLoft

Are we completely skipping past 1988?

Doesn’t suite anyone’s argument I guess.
[Post edited 28 Jun 9:58]

When the Irish somehow beat us 1-0?

When we lost Butch to injury and the Holland game slipped away from us despite dominating and hitting the woodwork three times and Lineker actually had herpes (the dirty sod)?

As for Safegate emulating Robson I assume that's either reference to Bryan's managerial career or designed as a wind up.

Suite as....

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 12:04 - Jun 28 with 1132 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 11:37 - Jun 28 by Lblock

When the Irish somehow beat us 1-0?

When we lost Butch to injury and the Holland game slipped away from us despite dominating and hitting the woodwork three times and Lineker actually had herpes (the dirty sod)?

As for Safegate emulating Robson I assume that's either reference to Bryan's managerial career or designed as a wind up.

Suite as....

Why are you able to find excuses for Robson and not Southgate?

Not a wind up, or particularly a Southgate fan, just sick of the endless OTT attacks especially against anyone trying to enjoy the tournament or tries to see things in context.

Nothing fresh has been said about England or Southgate for hundreds of posts, just more and more whinging and seeing who can ‘hate’ the most.

No wonder the Scots see us as entitled whiners sometimes. We can all see the problems, but that’s not enough for you.

As ever you’ll whinge and bitch until everyone hates to the same level you do. It’s England today but it will be QPR or dog walkers tomorrow.
[Post edited 28 Jun 12:07]
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 12:27 - Jun 28 with 1077 viewsPhilmyRs

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 12:04 - Jun 28 by BazzaInTheLoft

Not a wind up, or particularly a Southgate fan, just sick of the endless OTT attacks especially against anyone trying to enjoy the tournament or tries to see things in context.

Nothing fresh has been said about England or Southgate for hundreds of posts, just more and more whinging and seeing who can ‘hate’ the most.

No wonder the Scots see us as entitled whiners sometimes. We can all see the problems, but that’s not enough for you.

As ever you’ll whinge and bitch until everyone hates to the same level you do. It’s England today but it will be QPR or dog walkers tomorrow.

Agree on the standards for Southgate are not being applied for Bobby point. The 1990 Ireland game was one of the worst games of Football you could hope to watch, every bit as turgid as what Southgate dished out. Lineker and others have also made clear that the change in system in 1990 was player orchestrated, wasn’t driven by tactical genius from the Manager. We got out the 1990 group by a late Mark Wright header against Egypt, having also only scored 2 goals in the group. It wasn’t pretty stuff, and Belgium was literally the last minute, of extra time so another 0-0 in 90 minutes. That 1990 side also included the greatest England player of my generation, one at their peak, injuries and other problems clearly curtailed them after. Would England have even got out the group without Gazza? He lit up that world cup, and was unbelievable, without him the football would have been as every bit as painful as Southgate’s side.

I do think Southgate has probably come to the end now, a tournament too many, and we should have possibly freshened things up, although I hope I’m wrong there. But, I think you can comfortably make strong arguments for him when you compare him to Robson and Venables in terms of what they achieved. Under Venables an amazing performance against Holland, and a great effort against Germany, but the other games were pretty rubbish in quality. We were lucky to beat Spain, had there been VAR we’d have been out first game after the group stages and had a Seamen penalty save to thank for not being in serious trouble against the Scots. Not a criticism, that's tournament football and often plays out like that.

In all the cases you can argue for/against, but ultimately you have to judge on how far they take us in tournaments, Southgate still has a chance at eclipsing them all…let’s hope he can.
[Post edited 28 Jun 12:28]
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 12:28 - Jun 28 with 1070 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 12:27 - Jun 28 by PhilmyRs

Agree on the standards for Southgate are not being applied for Bobby point. The 1990 Ireland game was one of the worst games of Football you could hope to watch, every bit as turgid as what Southgate dished out. Lineker and others have also made clear that the change in system in 1990 was player orchestrated, wasn’t driven by tactical genius from the Manager. We got out the 1990 group by a late Mark Wright header against Egypt, having also only scored 2 goals in the group. It wasn’t pretty stuff, and Belgium was literally the last minute, of extra time so another 0-0 in 90 minutes. That 1990 side also included the greatest England player of my generation, one at their peak, injuries and other problems clearly curtailed them after. Would England have even got out the group without Gazza? He lit up that world cup, and was unbelievable, without him the football would have been as every bit as painful as Southgate’s side.

I do think Southgate has probably come to the end now, a tournament too many, and we should have possibly freshened things up, although I hope I’m wrong there. But, I think you can comfortably make strong arguments for him when you compare him to Robson and Venables in terms of what they achieved. Under Venables an amazing performance against Holland, and a great effort against Germany, but the other games were pretty rubbish in quality. We were lucky to beat Spain, had there been VAR we’d have been out first game after the group stages and had a Seamen penalty save to thank for not being in serious trouble against the Scots. Not a criticism, that's tournament football and often plays out like that.

In all the cases you can argue for/against, but ultimately you have to judge on how far they take us in tournaments, Southgate still has a chance at eclipsing them all…let’s hope he can.
[Post edited 28 Jun 12:28]

Agree with every single point here.
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 13:49 - Jun 28 with 924 viewsBenny_the_Ball

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 16:23 - Jun 27 by BazzaInTheLoft

Am I the only one that thinks fullbacks haven't been a problem for us?

Yes and No.

On the one hand, the defence (which many people thought would be England's Achilles heel) has performed well, conceding only 1 goal in 3 games. Walker and Trippier have been solid, if unspectacular.

On the other hand, there is a lack of balance on the left hand side. Being right-footed, Trippier has offered little going forward. With Foden looking to cut inside from the left, England have little width or attacking threat on that flank.

Moreover, Southgate brought an unfit Shaw to Germany and started the tournament with 3 right-footed full-backs in the team. Trippier at left-back, Walker at right-back, and Trent in midfield. That's more on Southgate than the players but in a way fullbacks (through no fault of their own) have been a problem for England.
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 14:31 - Jun 28 with 868 viewsdaveB

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 13:49 - Jun 28 by Benny_the_Ball

Yes and No.

On the one hand, the defence (which many people thought would be England's Achilles heel) has performed well, conceding only 1 goal in 3 games. Walker and Trippier have been solid, if unspectacular.

On the other hand, there is a lack of balance on the left hand side. Being right-footed, Trippier has offered little going forward. With Foden looking to cut inside from the left, England have little width or attacking threat on that flank.

Moreover, Southgate brought an unfit Shaw to Germany and started the tournament with 3 right-footed full-backs in the team. Trippier at left-back, Walker at right-back, and Trent in midfield. That's more on Southgate than the players but in a way fullbacks (through no fault of their own) have been a problem for England.

I wouldn't mind seeing Konsa at left back on Sunday if Shaw is still out, think he offers a bit more going forward
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 15:28 - Jun 28 with 801 viewsNed_Kennedys

Cheer up, new season not too far away 😊
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 15:49 - Jun 28 with 781 viewsLblock

My last word on it all is that I will never ever forgive Safegate for that debacle at Wembley against one of the worst Italy teams for many year back in 2021.
As I walked out of Wembley that night I served a Fattwah on him.

It's a shame it's all ended like this but it should've ended in August 2021

That's all folks

I'm off to tell my box room wall how much I hate the colour it's painted in

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 15:52 - Jun 28 with 770 viewspaulparker

Southgate is an awful manager who got lucky with the draws of 2018 & 2020 , come up against anyone decent and he has been found wanting
This tournament we have stunk the gaff out and been on a par with the Scottish
Our form in the last 7-8 games has been dreadful he himself admitted that the players had no belief against France in the last World Cup
I’m struggling to see anything positive about this England team under his management

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 16:28 - Jun 28 with 693 viewsnumptydumpty

The love for Robson seriously has only grown in the years after.

Bobby got pelters almost as often as Southgate has.

1986. We lost to Portugal who had only ever qualified for a tournament once before and drew with Morrocco nil nil and Super Ray sent off too. Bryan Robson injured too.

And it was only then that we improved but even though the cheat goal by Diego, they deserved that win.

1988. Was a shambles. Zero points at the group stage.

1990. Again change of team due to Bryan Robson injured again. And Gascoigne and Platt combo we greatly improved .We played brilliantly in the semi final but that was it

And only then did Bobby Robson get credit but he also had a generational talent who was at the heights of his powers.

Time has improved the love for Bobby but he was hated pretty regularly during his career to be fair.

Southgate. Yes he is defensive. Yes it's a strange tactic co sidering all our quality is in attack.

But we get through every time. We progress and we do achieve.

In finishing terms he is the second most successful England Manager ever but yes the ways to get there so far has been incredibly dull.

When we met Italy at Wembley in the final was a massive let down. Not because we lost but there was zero passion, zero flair and zero evidence that we were a decent team.

I don't like the dullness of Southgate but he has been effective and there have been many many managers that have played worse and with worse results also. Graham Taylor, Steve Mclaren, Sven Goran Ericsson and Fabio Capello to name a few and even Big Sam unless he had not been on the take..

He doesn't deserve the hate

But others comparing him unfavourably against Bobby Robson have allowed the passing of time to cloud their own memory banks.

Say it wasn't so !!!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 16:52 - Jun 28 with 627 viewsbosh67

4-4-2. I'd have Bellingham playing the number 8 role and driving play. Rice next to him. I'd put Gordon on the right, Palmer on the left and play Watkins and Kane as a front 2. If we just play one up top we'll run into all the same issues against what will probably be another park the bus team on Sunday. I feel for Foden but not sure how he fits in with a starting 11. But then you would have Foden, Eze, Mainoo, Wharton and Trent-Arnold to affect the midfield if needed and Saka, Tonie and Bowen to affect the front 3 as well if called upon.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 19:39 - Jun 28 with 517 viewsrbee

1986 we only started playing against Argentina after we went 2-0 down and we scored one quickly and had a couple of near misses, had we started the game on the front foot......

We have had a long line of cautious managers and managers trying to fit all of their favourite players in to a starting eleven. Sir Bobby had his moments as did Terry Venables but overall we have worried too much about the opposition rather than unleash our talent upon them, Lineker has been saying the same for years.

This squad is unbalanced and mentally broken. I think there are about 10, 11 changes to the squad that faced Malta and North Macedonia a year ago which is a lot but injuries and loss of form explains the majority of the changes. You get the feeling that whoever starts for us in this tournament it's going to a struggle, the lack of movement in the final third and nobody driving us forward in the middle.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024