Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread 23:10 - Jun 25 with 15322 viewsNed_Kennedys

We’ve had three match threads from a Southgate fan and three terrible England performances so surely it’s time to have one from a Southgate critic?

Walker switched to LB, TAA in at right back, Bellingham dropped back next to Rice, Foden central, Gordon on the left and Palmer on the right. Come on Gareth: you can do it!
[Post edited 27 Jun 15:28]
England v TBC last 16 Match Thread on 22:14 - Jun 26 with 2118 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Slovakia it is.

Would rather have had Netherlands. Slovakia will put everyone behind the ball and we’ll be looking at a Serbia / Slovenia situation again.

Expect a frustrating one.
[Post edited 26 Jun 22:15]
England v TBC last 16 Match Thread on 22:23 - Jun 26 with 2071 viewsChrisNW6

England v TBC last 16 Match Thread on 22:14 - Jun 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

Slovakia it is.

Would rather have had Netherlands. Slovakia will put everyone behind the ball and we’ll be looking at a Serbia / Slovenia situation again.

I know what you mean but I prefer Slovakia and with Palmer + Maino forcing the issue, I think we will be too strong over 90mins. The draw is unbelievable, we just need to click into action and live up to the hype.
England v TBC last 16 Match Thread on 22:39 - Jun 26 with 2021 viewsRs_Holy

Slovakia it is.

I'm keeping optimistic ... it'll be 0-0 after extra time and (this is a bit leftfield)... i think we will win the penalty shootout!!!
England v TBC last 16 Match Thread on 22:41 - Jun 26 with 2013 viewsNed_Kennedys

England v TBC last 16 Match Thread on 22:23 - Jun 26 by ChrisNW6

I know what you mean but I prefer Slovakia and with Palmer + Maino forcing the issue, I think we will be too strong over 90mins. The draw is unbelievable, we just need to click into action and live up to the hype.

Slovakia will surely play like Slovenia so Southgate HAS to come up with a plan to break through their massed defence. If he puts out the same team and formation he has learnt nothing: get some width and pace into the team and stretch the opposition which will create gaps for the likes of Bellingham and Rice to exploit.
England v TBC last 16 Match Thread on 22:54 - Jun 26 with 1971 viewsdaveB

England v TBC last 16 Match Thread on 22:41 - Jun 26 by Ned_Kennedys

Slovakia will surely play like Slovenia so Southgate HAS to come up with a plan to break through their massed defence. If he puts out the same team and formation he has learnt nothing: get some width and pace into the team and stretch the opposition which will create gaps for the likes of Bellingham and Rice to exploit.

Foden going home for a few days probably helps so you play Gordon and Mainoo, good case for starting Palmer but he'd be a big threat coming off the bench as well

Avoiding the Dutch this early might mean you can give Luke Shaw an hour on Sunday and look to get him ready for last quarter finals
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 08:05 - Jun 27 with 1697 viewskernowhoop

QPR 5 Slovan Bratislava 2
Anyone else remember that wonderful game?
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 09:38 - Jun 27 with 1582 viewsCamberleyR

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 08:05 - Jun 27 by kernowhoop

QPR 5 Slovan Bratislava 2
Anyone else remember that wonderful game?

QPR 5 European champions Czechoslovakia 2 given about 60% of that team were Slovan players.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 09:44 - Jun 27 with 1572 viewsTheChef

Apparently, Shaw will be fit...

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 10:07 - Jun 27 with 1483 viewsNed_Kennedys

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 09:44 - Jun 27 by TheChef

Apparently, Shaw will be fit...

Not played for four months so not going to be match fit at all.
However a win against Slovakia should be nailed on (even Southgate will struggle to mess this one up) so 60 minutes for Shaw will be good prep before Italy or Switzerland in the Quarters.
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 10:10 - Jun 27 with 1466 viewsTheChef

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 10:07 - Jun 27 by Ned_Kennedys

However a win against Slovakia should be nailed on (even Southgate will struggle to mess this one up) so 60 minutes for Shaw will be good prep before Italy or Switzerland in the Quarters.

Yeah try and get an hour out of him.

Can't be doing again with Trippier turning back onto his right foot every fackin time.

England v TBC last 16 Match Thread on 10:30 - Jun 27 with 1405 viewsJuzzie

Slovakia it is.

The way the new format is giving the likes of Slovakia, Slovenia, Georgia (despite the great win against Portugal) etc. the chance to progress when they wouldn't have done if only the top 2 progressed, you could have a situation where these kind of teams just put 10 men behind the ball each game and hope to go through each round, and maybe even win the whole thing, by virtue of winning a penalty shoot out.

That's not football for me.

[Post edited 27 Jun 11:03]
England v TBC last 16 Match Thread on 11:00 - Jun 27 with 1311 viewsCamberleyR

England v TBC last 16 Match Thread on 10:30 - Jun 27 by Juzzie

The way the new format is giving the likes of Slovakia, Slovenia, Georgia (despite the great win against Portugal) etc. the chance to progress when they wouldn't have done if only the top 2 progressed, you could have a situation where these kind of teams just put 10 men behind the ball each game and hope to go through each round, and maybe even win the whole thing, by virtue of winning a penalty shoot out.

That's not football for me.

[Post edited 27 Jun 11:03]

Agree. The 16 team version was perfect. The logical answer would be 32 teams but with only 53 teams in qualifying that would be ludicrous.

That cretin Infantino is ruining the World Cup format by increasing it to 48 from it's currently perfect 32 team format. I believe that is going to have 12 x groups of 4 with the top two and eight (EIGHT!) best third places qualifying for a last 32.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

England v TBC last 16 Match Thread on 11:06 - Jun 27 with 1267 viewscheesy

England v TBC last 16 Match Thread on 10:18 - Jun 26 by lassel

The Swedish pundits last night were John Guidetti and Olof Mellberg - both said it has to be Gordon in the left, Rice & Bellingham in the centre with Foden infront.

Not really saying much but interesting that neutrals can see it as well.

They also had a long chat about how England are far too nice and would be a completely different team with someone like Rooney in it.

I wouldnt take much notice of someone who wears foppatofflor.
England v TBC last 16 Match Thread on 11:34 - Jun 27 with 1184 viewsJuzzie

England v TBC last 16 Match Thread on 11:00 - Jun 27 by CamberleyR

Agree. The 16 team version was perfect. The logical answer would be 32 teams but with only 53 teams in qualifying that would be ludicrous.

That cretin Infantino is ruining the World Cup format by increasing it to 48 from it's currently perfect 32 team format. I believe that is going to have 12 x groups of 4 with the top two and eight (EIGHT!) best third places qualifying for a last 32.

He's just like anyone else in business and in that position.... constantly needing to mess around with things just for the sake of it and to justify their own jobs otherwise they wouldn't be needed. They always come out with how it's for the benefit of the sport (business) etc. when really it's just self serving.

[Post edited 27 Jun 11:34]
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 11:41 - Jun 27 with 1169 viewsconnell10

3-0 England feck it

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

England v TBC last 16 Match Thread on 11:43 - Jun 27 with 1146 viewsTheChef

England v TBC last 16 Match Thread on 11:00 - Jun 27 by CamberleyR

Pfft go back to eight teams and focus on the best. Fk the ad revenue and TV money.

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 11:50 - Jun 27 with 1126 viewsKonk

My natural optimism has kicked-in again! In 2002, we had a 1-0, 1-1, and 0-0 in our group games, before spanking the Danes 3-0 in the round of 16, so I am going with England to win 3-0 against Slovakia. We’ll stumble across the winning team/formation, play ourselves into form and win the fu cking thing. On the flip side, my head is telling me that we've been toilet and England have still never won a proper tournament without a Fulham player in the side.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 11:58 - Jun 27 with 1088 viewsted_hendrix

I can hardly contain myself.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 15:02 - Jun 27 with 864 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Ned - Walker and TAA both at left back? I assume you mean TAA at RB. I like your selections but I doubt Southgate will be bold enough to go with that. Ancelotti's use of Bellingham in the 10 role at Real Madrid appears to have clouded Gareth's thinking, and, in turn, compromised Foden's role. Bellingham used to feature for England in central midfield but Southgate appears reticent to return him there. With Foden back in the UK, it's likely Bellingham will remain in the 10 role and, instead, we'll see a change on the left. I suspect Mainoo will come in for Gallagher, and one of Palmer or Gordon come in for Foden. However, I'm not convinced that Gareth will drop Saka. I hope I'm wrong because Palmer and Gordon both showed quality, energy and intent in their cameo appearances, characteristics that have been missing from England's group stage performances.
[Post edited 27 Jun 15:04]
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 15:22 - Jun 27 with 836 viewsstrikerace

I'll go out on a limb here and guess that England puts across a goal in the first 20 minutes somehow, then looks slow and timid the rest of the way, and hangs on for a 1-0 victory
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 15:29 - Jun 27 with 809 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 15:22 - Jun 27 by strikerace

I'll go out on a limb here and guess that England puts across a goal in the first 20 minutes somehow, then looks slow and timid the rest of the way, and hangs on for a 1-0 victory

Well, this is the thing isn't it.

All the concerns pre tournament was about the defence. We've looked unbeatable at the back is why we earned a point from frankly a Denmark side that had us beat in every other area.

I can't remember Pickford having to do fck all really.

Credit where credit is due I think.
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 15:40 - Jun 27 with 776 viewsdaveB

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 15:22 - Jun 27 by strikerace

That'll do for me
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 16:21 - Jun 27 with 701 viewsBenny_the_Ball

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 10:07 - Jun 27 by Ned_Kennedys

So you did mean TAA at right back (OP Post edited 27 Jun 15:28).

As for Shaw, this is a real conundrum for Gareth. As the only naturally left-footed full-back his introduction would add balance to the team. However, Luke hasn't played competitive football for months so throwing him in now would be a gamble. If Gareth is to take this gamble, the time is now. He can't take this risk in the latter stages of the competition against top opposition. The lad would need circa 60 minutes against Slovakia to build his fitness for sterner tests to come. If Shaw is introduced against Slovakia then that would presumably mean Walker at RB, with TAA coming on later as Luke tires. Either that, or move back to the wingback system that served England so well at the last Euros.
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 16:23 - Jun 27 with 700 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Am I the only one that thinks fullbacks haven't been a problem for us?
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 16:32 - Jun 27 with 686 viewsNed_Kennedys

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 16:21 - Jun 27 by Benny_the_Ball

So you did mean TAA at right back (OP Post edited 27 Jun 15:28).

As for Shaw, this is a real conundrum for Gareth. As the only naturally left-footed full-back his introduction would add balance to the team. However, Luke hasn't played competitive football for months so throwing him in now would be a gamble. If Gareth is to take this gamble, the time is now. He can't take this risk in the latter stages of the competition against top opposition. The lad would need circa 60 minutes against Slovakia to build his fitness for sterner tests to come. If Shaw is introduced against Slovakia then that would presumably mean Walker at RB, with TAA coming on later as Luke tires. Either that, or move back to the wingback system that served England so well at the last Euros.

Yeah I meant TAA at RB.
Left back has been a real issue going forward in all three games: Foden has been offering no width on the left so Trippier unable to pass forward with his left foot just hasn’t worked.
Hopefully Shaw gets a good run on Sunday and can play full minutes for the rest of the tournament: otherwise I’d rush Walker over there as at least he has pace and might be able to generate a few overlaps.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024