Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Naughton 10:15 - Feb 18 with 7316 viewsblackpooljack

With all the clamour a few week back regarding out of contract players at seasons end to jettison the likes of Naughton and Allen after their ( esp ) Nauts performance in the last couple of games AND in Allens case replacing that waste of a shirt Fulton in the side, who on here would offer the pair a one year extension ?
Naughton on 21:30 - Feb 21 with 1643 viewsKeithHaynes

Naughton on 21:26 - Feb 21 by Dr_Winston

A marginal difference in the roles that they're asked to perform may lead to a slight variation in the numbers, but I really struggle to see why anyone could argue against the idea that they're basically interchangeable. Both can tackle a bit. Both can shoot a bit. Both love a short pass. Grimes is perhaps better at longer passing. Grimes is more of a goal threat. Otherwise are they really that different? It's telling that people so often resort to numbers rather than examples to explain why Grimes is apparently better.

If Grimes was sent out there and told to sit deep whilst Fulton had more licence to roam the numbers may swap over but ultimately it would change little.

The very problem with playing them together is that they so often can be found in the same areas of the pitch carrying out the same tasks. I've stopped counting how often both of them can be found standing in a line with most of our defence during games, and that's when we've got the ball looking to build attacks.

I get the feeling from Like Williams comments of late regards changing the players mindset and learning new roles is genuinely aimed at both Fulton and Grimes as much as any other player.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Naughton on 21:40 - Feb 21 with 1625 viewsDr_Winston

Naughton on 21:30 - Feb 21 by KeithHaynes

I get the feeling from Like Williams comments of late regards changing the players mindset and learning new roles is genuinely aimed at both Fulton and Grimes as much as any other player.

Hopefully so. We heard the same from Duff and Grimes at least appeared for a while to take that on board.

The points I'm making aren't in terms of potential. I don't doubt that a well coached, forced out of his comfort zone Grimes is capable of more than Fulton. It's just that for 80-90% of his time at the club that's not what we've seen.

He needs to be pushed. He needs to be challenged. Pairing him with Fulton, a player I've always liked and often felt was unjustly criticised and underrated, does neither of them any favours.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Naughton on 06:27 - Feb 22 with 1564 viewsjack247

A marginal difference in the roles that they're asked to perform may lead to a slight variation in the numbers, but I really struggle to see why anyone could argue against the idea that they're basically interchangeable. Both can tackle a bit. Both can shoot a bit. Both love a short pass. Grimes is perhaps better at longer passing. Grimes is more of a goal threat. Otherwise are they really that different? It's telling that people so often resort to numbers rather than examples to explain why Grimes is apparently better.

If Grimes was sent out there and told to sit deep whilst Fulton had more licence to roam the numbers may swap over but ultimately it would change little.

The very problem with playing them together is that they so often can be found in the same areas of the pitch carrying out the same tasks. I've stopped counting how often both of them can be found standing in a line with most of our defence during games, and that's when we've got the ball looking to build attacks.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m only using that to evidence what I see every game. I’d put good money Grimes has significantly more touches per game and Fulton wins more aerially too.

If Fulton had more licence to roam and Grimes sat deeper, they would be more pronounced. The player sitting deeper is going to have more time and options for the stat padding, easy pass that doesn’t go anywhere. The player further forward is looking for riskier, more proactive passes, under more pressure from opponents, safe in the knowledge there are teammates behind him.

Same areas of the pitch - 100%. They get in each others way, make themselves both easier to mark and pass too often between themselves when a short distance apart.

Interchangeable - arguably. They could both play the same position but would play if very differently. Grimes is happy receiving under pressure, tidying up a bit and then laying it off to someone in a bit more space. That’s not Fultons strength at all. Conversely, he’s a much better shield and more imposing physical presence when we’re being attacked.

Virtual clones of each other - I can’t see that at all.

Allen or Patino in for Grimes and I think we could play very similarly. If Fulton is the only link between defence and our more attacking midfielders and wingers, we’d have to play out from the back more directly.
Naughton on 11:14 - Feb 22 with 1482 viewsswancity

“ Otherwise are they really that different? “

Yes they are. Completely. Grimes exceptional range of passing, being able to receive the ball in tight situations and to keep the ball is right up there with the best in the division. Fulton is more physical in his approach. Not as comfortable in possession and without the range of passing. They are very much different players albeit there are times when they both have a similar role in the side as holding midfield players.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Naughton on 17:52 - Feb 24 with 1320 viewsblackpooljack

Up to 32nd on the Swans all time list and should edge a few places further forward.
Naughton on 18:53 - Feb 24 with 1265 viewsdantheswansman

Naughton is a Swans Legend, he has given his all for this club with no fuss or tantrums for nine years, a real Pro, he is a A plus Star for this club
Naughton on 18:55 - Feb 24 with 1257 viewsonehunglow

Naughton on 18:53 - Feb 24 by dantheswansman

Naughton is a Swans Legend, he has given his all for this club with no fuss or tantrums for nine years, a real Pro, he is a A plus Star for this club

Yeah baby!

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Naughton on 19:04 - Feb 24 with 1247 viewsangryjack

Naughton on 18:55 - Feb 24 by onehunglow

Yeah baby!

Good game today in fairness
Login to get fewer ads

Naughton on 19:40 - Feb 24 with 1223 viewscadleigh

Didn’t see the game today but from the commentary it sounded like Naughton and Ronald formed a partnership today the likes of which we haven’t seen since the glory days. It would be wonderful to think that we could hold on to both for next season and see a real Naughtonaissance.

Poll: How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around?

Naughton on 20:17 - Feb 24 with 1193 viewsonehunglow

Naughton on 19:04 - Feb 24 by angryjack

Good game today in fairness

We won.therefore it’s good.
Rather intoxicated now
WatchingbWigsn v Penrith
Vicious or what

Naughton on 21:17 - Feb 24 with 1154 viewsBoundy

Naughton on 18:55 - Feb 24 by onehunglow

Yeah baby!

Naughton can't help being , Naughton , good and bad, recently he's had a renaissance and if that benefits us then great I'm not complaining . His 300th game today as well so he must have done something right.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Naughton on 21:31 - Feb 24 with 1136 viewsAnotherJohn

The commentator on the Sunderland iFollow channel commented that Swansea were able to hold a high line because our defenders had pace. He picked out Naughton as a player who had kept their winger in check with pace. Having seen other recent games that made me raise my eyebrows, but Nauts had an excellent game, albeit based more on experience and good positioning than pace,
Naughton on 21:36 - Feb 24 with 1113 viewsDr_Winston

Naughton on 21:31 - Feb 24 by AnotherJohn

The commentator on the Sunderland iFollow channel commented that Swansea were able to hold a high line because our defenders had pace. He picked out Naughton as a player who had kept their winger in check with pace. Having seen other recent games that made me raise my eyebrows, but Nauts had an excellent game, albeit based more on experience and good positioning than pace,

What's the old saying? The first few yards are in the head?

Naughton is no doubt in fantastic physical nick but the best of his game has always been the intelligence. Opposing players are often bigger and or faster, but few are smarter.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Naughton on 22:04 - Feb 24 with 1096 viewsonehunglow

Naughton on 21:17 - Feb 24 by Boundy

Naughton can't help being , Naughton , good and bad, recently he's had a renaissance and if that benefits us then great I'm not complaining . His 300th game today as well so he must have done something right.

It’s good he’s playing well.
What isn’t good is fans still ripping into others when all we want is the best
Key will replace him when fit as he’s younger,quicker .

Naughton on 00:00 - Feb 25 with 1036 viewsKeithHaynes

True pro earning his corn atm.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Naughton on 01:05 - Feb 25 with 1016 viewsJJJack

The commentators were good today- knowledgable. Naughton was excellent today. For whatever reason he has played extremely well of late - looks much happier at RB than CB
Naughton on 07:09 - Feb 25 with 972 viewsBoundy

Naughton on 22:04 - Feb 24 by onehunglow

It’s good he’s playing well.
What isn’t good is fans still ripping into others when all we want is the best
Key will replace him when fit as he’s younger,quicker .

Maybe at this moment in time Naughton is the best we can accommodate due to various reasons .

Naughton on 09:05 - Feb 25 with 928 viewsonehunglow

Naughton on 07:09 - Feb 25 by Boundy

Maybe at this moment in time Naughton is the best we can accommodate due to various reasons .

Yeah,he is.
I don’t think he is or ever has been a “ bad” player and certainly nit a bad pro,just overrated .
We are a mediocre side in a mediocre league and it’s why he looks comfortable,which he does.
He is nit the future though and we have to plan ahead ,though it’s not something we do

Naughton on 10:20 - Feb 25 with 889 viewslifelong

Naughton on 09:05 - Feb 25 by onehunglow

Yeah,he is.
I don’t think he is or ever has been a “ bad” player and certainly nit a bad pro,just overrated .
We are a mediocre side in a mediocre league and it’s why he looks comfortable,which he does.
He is nit the future though and we have to plan ahead ,though it’s not something we do

Nothing mediocre about the Championship, never has been.
Naughton on 10:20 - Feb 25 with 888 viewsonehunglow

Naughton on 10:20 - Feb 25 by lifelong

Nothing mediocre about the Championship, never has been.

Have a good day

Naughton on 13:14 - Feb 25 with 822 viewssw02sea

Just goes to show what a bit of quality can do, when you see the highlights of that first half performance. Obviously Naughton & Allen are at the end of very good careers, but what a difference they made. Shame about Joe’s sick record, we’ve missed him terribly in midfield, and Naughton’s calm reassurance in the pitch. Don’t get me started on the difference between these 2 and Fulton.
Naughton on 13:58 - Feb 25 with 791 viewsblackpooljack

Even tho Wood had an ok game yesterday he still looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights when ever he receives a back pass whereas Nauts always looks like he's got all day to deal with it, so calm
Naughton on 14:01 - Feb 25 with 789 viewsonehunglow

Naughton on 01:05 - Feb 25 by JJJack

The commentators were good today- knowledgable. Naughton was excellent today. For whatever reason he has played extremely well of late - looks much happier at RB than CB

They were excellent and very objective , unlike most others
Have to admit a soft spot for Sunderland and the north east

Naughton on 18:00 - Feb 25 with 707 viewsBoundy

Naughton on 14:01 - Feb 25 by onehunglow

They were excellent and very objective , unlike most others
Have to admit a soft spot for Sunderland and the north east

Ironically one of my last PL away games was at Sunderland when Naughton scored a screamer right in front of us with Llorente scoring the second .

Naughton on 20:47 - Feb 25 with 648 viewsWhiterockin

Naughton on 18:00 - Feb 25 by Boundy

Ironically one of my last PL away games was at Sunderland when Naughton scored a screamer right in front of us with Llorente scoring the second .

Golden days.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024