Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Naughton 10:15 - Feb 18 with 7318 viewsblackpooljack

With all the clamour a few week back regarding out of contract players at seasons end to jettison the likes of Naughton and Allen after their ( esp ) Nauts performance in the last couple of games AND in Allens case replacing that waste of a shirt Fulton in the side, who on here would offer the pair a one year extension ?
Naughton on 20:55 - Feb 19 with 1286 viewsDr_Winston

Feels like I've sometimes been a lone voice shouting into the wind when it comes to defending Naughton in these (and other) parts since 2015. For my money he's been one of the best professionals to represent this club.

Not always been a first team regular, often been shunted about to suit various managerial whims, but always consistent, never a fuss, always a solid 7/10 minimum.

Having said that, we've got to move on sometime.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Naughton on 21:56 - Feb 19 with 1224 viewscontroversial_jack

Naughton on 18:31 - Feb 18 by blackpooljack

The reason why players such as Fulton hardly pick up any knocks is simply because they dont get involved i'd not be suprised if he didnt need his kit washing between games

Fulton doesn’t get involved? That’s the one thing he does do
Naughton on 21:58 - Feb 19 with 1230 viewsonehunglow

Naughton on 20:55 - Feb 19 by Dr_Winston

Feels like I've sometimes been a lone voice shouting into the wind when it comes to defending Naughton in these (and other) parts since 2015. For my money he's been one of the best professionals to represent this club.

Not always been a first team regular, often been shunted about to suit various managerial whims, but always consistent, never a fuss, always a solid 7/10 minimum.

We’ve crossed swords on him and. I stand by what Ivecsaud
He is obviously well passed his best and did not deserve another 12 month contract l why ? Because we should have sourced other ,younger,quicker,stronger players.
Right now, he is our best defender and that shows how desperate we are when a 35 yr old shows the composure we need when those around him are like statues .
He IS a great pro,nobody has questioned that .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Naughton on 22:03 - Feb 19 with 1232 viewsblackpooljack

Naughton on 21:56 - Feb 19 by controversial_jack

Fulton doesn’t get involved? That’s the one thing he does do

Giving away cheap fouls and getting needless bookings doesn't constitute getting involved in the main his sole purpose in the side is to receive a 5 yrd pass from Grimes and to the pass it straight back.
Naughton on 08:38 - Feb 20 with 1141 viewsonehunglow

Naughton on 22:03 - Feb 19 by blackpooljack

Giving away cheap fouls and getting needless bookings doesn't constitute getting involved in the main his sole purpose in the side is to receive a 5 yrd pass from Grimes and to the pass it straight back.

He was always one to get caught and turned easily but right now he’s doing a half decent job.
That is a reflection on how far we have sunk.

Naughton on 09:33 - Feb 20 with 1105 viewsjack247

Naughton on 20:55 - Feb 19 by Dr_Winston

No, I’ve been with you the whole time. He gets a lot of unwarranted abuse and rarely lets us down.

Agree with your last line, though some people have been wanting to move him on since his late twenties!
Naughton on 09:40 - Feb 20 with 1094 viewsDr_Winston

Naughton on 09:33 - Feb 20 by jack247

No, I’ve been with you the whole time. He gets a lot of unwarranted abuse and rarely lets us down.

Agree with your last line, though some people have been wanting to move him on since his late twenties!

I remember when Connor Roberts was breaking through and there were endless demands for him to start every game ahead of Naughton, despite the fact that at the time Naughts was a far superior fullback.

Roberts came into his own when he matured a little and started playing further up the pitch, but he was never going to displace KN as a pure RB at the time, nor should he have.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Naughton on 09:42 - Feb 20 with 1084 viewsonehunglow

Naughton on 09:33 - Feb 20 by jack247

Not sure it’s abuse,not personal anyway.
There is always discussion and conflicting views on players although,in Jerry Yates case,most seem agreed .
Naughton,like Grimes is avery good professional but ,for me,neither makes my heart skip a beat .

Finally,if one dies have views that seem at odds with everyone else ,Remember these are football forums and the inter fan abusecwiuodnt happen in the flesh,for a start.Furthermore,nobody should be pilloried for having views that grind gears of others ,unless they support mass murderer ins despots ,that is.

Login to get fewer ads

Naughton on 09:51 - Feb 20 with 1080 viewsjack247

Naughton on 09:42 - Feb 20 by onehunglow

Not sure it’s abuse,not personal anyway.
There is always discussion and conflicting views on players although,in Jerry Yates case,most seem agreed .
Naughton,like Grimes is avery good professional but ,for me,neither makes my heart skip a beat .

Finally,if one dies have views that seem at odds with everyone else ,Remember these are football forums and the inter fan abusecwiuodnt happen in the flesh,for a start.Furthermore,nobody should be pilloried for having views that grind gears of others ,unless they support mass murderer ins despots ,that is.

Other views are fine.

I’d guess you wouldn’t call him ‘super Kyle’ sarcastically or make any of the other derogatory remarks you do to his face either. Same goes for the likes of Yates and Grimes.

If you think, he’s too slow, too weak, too old etc, fair enough. I don’t agree but fair enough.
Naughton on 09:58 - Feb 20 with 1073 viewsonehunglow

Naughton on 09:51 - Feb 20 by jack247

Other views are fine.

I’d guess you wouldn’t call him ‘super Kyle’ sarcastically or make any of the other derogatory remarks you do to his face either. Same goes for the likes of Yates and Grimes.

If you think, he’s too slow, too weak, too old etc, fair enough. I don’t agree but fair enough.

Yep,I ‘ll have that .
Good riposte

Look out for my remarks on Jerry the Joke striker ,or Walshy ,as close to a human Paper in Fire as is possible
[Post edited 20 Feb 10:03]

Naughton on 10:11 - Feb 20 with 1074 viewsjack247

Naughton on 09:58 - Feb 20 by onehunglow

Yep,I ‘ll have that .
Good riposte

Look out for my remarks on Jerry the Joke striker ,or Walshy ,as close to a human Paper in Fire as is possible
[Post edited 20 Feb 10:03]

I don’t care about that, I’m sure it’s water off ducks backs to the players.

I just find it strange you then get offended when people pillory your views or say something online they wouldn’t say to your face.
Naughton on 10:21 - Feb 20 with 1066 viewsonehunglow

Naughton on 10:11 - Feb 20 by jack247

I don’t care about that, I’m sure it’s water off ducks backs to the players.

I just find it strange you then get offended when people pillory your views or say something online they wouldn’t say to your face.

Pillory?
Hmm.
It is fact comments made anonymously on line are rarely articulated face to face.
Not just my humble self but all .

People are Strange and just for you

Naughton on 10:30 - Feb 20 with 1068 viewsjack247

Naughton on 10:21 - Feb 20 by onehunglow

Pillory?
Hmm.
It is fact comments made anonymously on line are rarely articulated face to face.
Not just my humble self but all .

People are Strange and just for you

Pillory isn’t a word I’d use often. It was a direct response to your quote of views being pilloried.

The point you make is fair, it’s just not one I’d have made if I was one the sites biggest culprits.
Naughton on 10:35 - Feb 20 with 1060 viewsonehunglow

Naughton on 10:30 - Feb 20 by jack247

Pillory isn’t a word I’d use often. It was a direct response to your quote of views being pilloried.

The point you make is fair, it’s just not one I’d have made if I was one the sites biggest culprits.

Pillory is actually quite a mellifluent word to use .
I can think of worse
We could start a thread on vile sounding words

Naughton on 22:23 - Feb 20 with 960 viewscontroversial_jack

Naughton on 22:03 - Feb 19 by blackpooljack

Of course it constitutes getting involved,whether it works is another matter
Naughton on 16:12 - Feb 21 with 871 viewsBoundy

Naughton on 22:23 - Feb 20 by controversial_jack

Of course it constitutes getting involved,whether it works is another matter

It doesn't , not any more ,instead of a player who used to be brought on to shore up the defence when holding onto a lead or to bring a bit of bite now he starts to bring creativity to the midfield , he doesn't which is a pity because he was useful player to us but now I feel he's just going through the motions

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Naughton on 17:40 - Feb 21 with 841 viewsDr_Winston

This is the same sort of stuff that periodically gets brought up about Fulton when he's out of favour with the crowd. He is no more or less involved than most other players now than he has been throughout his time here.

What clearly isn't working is pairing him with Grimes, which tends to make them both look worse. Separately they are largely capable of doing similar jobs.

Naughton on 18:45 - Feb 21 with 819 viewsonehunglow

Naughton on 17:40 - Feb 21 by Dr_Winston

This is the same sort of stuff that periodically gets brought up about Fulton when he's out of favour with the crowd. He is no more or less involved than most other players now than he has been throughout his time here.

What clearly isn't working is pairing him with Grimes, which tends to make them both look worse. Separately they are largely capable of doing similar jobs.

Decent post Winston

Naughton on 19:34 - Feb 21 with 801 viewsjack247

Naughton on 17:40 - Feb 21 by Dr_Winston

I’m not sure they can do the same job. Play in the same position certainly.

Grimes always wants the ball. Happy to receive it with opponents around him, create a bit of space and play it to a teammate in a better position. That isn’t Fultons game at all. He’s combative abd aggressive, but doesn’t seem to want it in tight situations.

I agree they don’t work well together. They take up similar positions and the easiest ball is invariably a short pass to the other which doesn’t gain us anything and gives opponents a few seconds to get in position.
Naughton on 19:53 - Feb 21 with 792 viewsDr_Winston

Naughton on 19:34 - Feb 21 by jack247

I’m not sure they can do the same job. Play in the same position certainly.

Grimes always wants the ball. Happy to receive it with opponents around him, create a bit of space and play it to a teammate in a better position. That isn’t Fultons game at all. He’s combative abd aggressive, but doesn’t seem to want it in tight situations.

I agree they don’t work well together. They take up similar positions and the easiest ball is invariably a short pass to the other which doesn’t gain us anything and gives opponents a few seconds to get in position.

"create a bit of space and play it to a teammate in a better position"

Then it's a pity that he so seldom does so.

When Grimes is on his game as we saw under Potter and for a few brief games during the Duff era then yeah, he does have more to his game. Sadly, for the rest of his nigh on decade at the club he's not been.

Both of them generally sit deep. Both play short, safe passes. Neither offer much going forward. Ironically Fulton is probably more of a goal threat. They're so similar in styles for the most part we might as well be playing clones. This is precisely why they can't play together.

We need to move past the idea that Grimes at his best is the default. More than enough people have been pretending otherwise for four years.

Naughton on 20:11 - Feb 21 with 774 viewsjack247

Naughton on 19:53 - Feb 21 by Dr_Winston

"create a bit of space and play it to a teammate in a better position"

Then it's a pity that he so seldom does so.

When Grimes is on his game as we saw under Potter and for a few brief games during the Duff era then yeah, he does have more to his game. Sadly, for the rest of his nigh on decade at the club he's not been.

Both of them generally sit deep. Both play short, safe passes. Neither offer much going forward. Ironically Fulton is probably more of a goal threat. They're so similar in styles for the most part we might as well be playing clones. This is precisely why they can't play together.

We need to move past the idea that Grimes at his best is the default. More than enough people have been pretending otherwise for four years.

footystats.org I’m not a fan of stars in isolation, but they are useful when they back up what I see at games.

Passes per 90 minutes - Grimes 79.33 Fulton 51.48
Successful passes - Grimes 70.82 Fulton 44.94
Key passes - Grimes 1.18 Fulton 0.51

Tackles - Grimes 1.45 Fulton 1.97
Interceptions -Grimes 0.76 Fulton 1.93
Ground duels -Grimes 6.37 Fulton 8.05

None of that surprised me. If they were that similar in style, their stats wouldn’t show two markedly different players.
Naughton on 20:54 - Feb 21 with 742 viewsDr_Winston

"I’m not a fan of stats in isolation"

You probably should have stopped there.

Numbers like that are easily summed up with the observation that the figure of "key passes" is often used as an boost for Grimes without any sort of context as to what comprises such.

I mean, what the everloving chuff is a "ground duel"? Isn't that just a tackle?

Naughton on 21:02 - Feb 21 with 736 viewsbuilthjack

Naughton was finished about 3 years ago.
A good pro who could play League 1 for another season or two.
He was out of position loads of times on Saturday, at fault for their second goal.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Naughton on 21:04 - Feb 21 with 718 viewsjack247

Naughton on 20:54 - Feb 21 by Dr_Winston

"I’m not a fan of stats in isolation"

You probably should have stopped there.

Numbers like that are easily summed up with the observation that the figure of "key passes" is often used as an boost for Grimes without any sort of context as to what comprises such.

I mean, what the everloving chuff is a "ground duel"? Isn't that just a tackle?

Thing is, they back up exactly what I see every week. Grimes looks to get on the ball whenever he can. Fulton puts himself about more.

I was struggling to see how you think they are anywhere near clones of each other. I looked at their stats in case you were seeing something I wasn’t.
Naughton on 21:26 - Feb 21 with 696 viewsDr_Winston

Naughton on 21:04 - Feb 21 by jack247

Thing is, they back up exactly what I see every week. Grimes looks to get on the ball whenever he can. Fulton puts himself about more.

I was struggling to see how you think they are anywhere near clones of each other. I looked at their stats in case you were seeing something I wasn’t.

A marginal difference in the roles that they're asked to perform may lead to a slight variation in the numbers, but I really struggle to see why anyone could argue against the idea that they're basically interchangeable. Both can tackle a bit. Both can shoot a bit. Both love a short pass. Grimes is perhaps better at longer passing. Grimes is more of a goal threat. Otherwise are they really that different? It's telling that people so often resort to numbers rather than examples to explain why Grimes is apparently better.

If Grimes was sent out there and told to sit deep whilst Fulton had more licence to roam the numbers may swap over but ultimately it would change little.

The very problem with playing them together is that they so often can be found in the same areas of the pitch carrying out the same tasks. I've stopped counting how often both of them can be found standing in a line with most of our defence during games, and that's when we've got the ball looking to build attacks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024