Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start 17:34 - Feb 18 with 7674 viewsSheffield_dale

Anyone remember Stockdale announcing a promotion run when he was appointed?😂

Also, anyone remember how bad we were in pre-season. I could see it in Stockdale's face that he recruited absolute pups with no football brain.

With no training pitch we needed players with desire and speed to make up the skill deficiency (see Lloyd, Mullarkey)

I actually don't blame Bentley. It needed a re-build with no pre-season. Almost impossible

The following have relegated us by being nowhere near:
John
Toums
EEL
Keohane
Seriki
Eastwood
Quigley
Rodney
Odoh
Ball
Graham
Slicker!!
The bloke from WBA who I can't even remember
Stockdale
Shan
Gauge (Stockdale decisions only)

When the majority of the squad are this poor in skill, desire, passion and brains then it's no surprise. Pep wouldn't get us out of this.
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 19:27 - Feb 18 with 2651 viewsNigelWatson

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 18:37 - Feb 18 by electricblue

Why does JB need an advisor!
He is an experienced manager..
The downfall started in the summer transfer window and now the Jan transfer window by not bringing in centre mids.....
The opposition go through the weak midfield and right at the defence and thus immediately causes so much pressure and inevitable they score...

Yes, experienced at losing football matches and playing ugly football

Anyone seen McStalin, recently+
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 19:28 - Feb 18 with 2644 viewsSheffield_dale

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 19:09 - Feb 18 by dawlishdale

Here is the nail on head moment.

It was obvious that Stockdale was not going to work despite a few decent results right at the end of last season.

The fact that out new and inexperienced board couldn't see this will prove to be the worst decision they have made.

Giving Stockdale the money to squander on half a dozen useless wasters, all on 2 year deals, is what has knackered us..

And then, sacking him so soon into this season kind of tells me that the board knew they'd made a mess of things.

Employing Jim was , with hindsight, a desperate desperate move when all the decent candidates had rejected us as a lost cause. Sadly, the bookies got it spot on.

The plight we find ourselves in is a culmination of bad decisions going back 5 years. Bottomley started it and is largely responsible, but the new board have made a mess of it as well.

The hard work and dedication of fans to stave off the unwanted attention of MH might ultimately be for naught.

Very sad days.

Let's not forget and respect the efforts the board made to save is from MH too whilst also acknowledging they have made honest mistakes.

Maybe whilst they were diversifying the board someone with a football background could have been encouraged to join rather than mid management types.
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 20:02 - Feb 18 with 2499 viewsNigelWatson

Where's McStalin?
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 20:05 - Feb 18 with 2474 views442Dale

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 20:02 - Feb 18 by NigelWatson

Where's McStalin?

Helpful.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 20:06 - Feb 18 with 2464 viewskel

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 20:02 - Feb 18 by NigelWatson

Where's McStalin?

Unless you tell us who you mean we can’t really answer. You’ve already been asked once.
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 20:51 - Feb 18 with 2358 viewsTVOS1907

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 20:06 - Feb 18 by kel

Unless you tell us who you mean we can’t really answer. You’ve already been asked once.

Could be a relation of McRedshaw.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 20:55 - Feb 18 with 2350 viewsD_Alien

Whoever it is, the pillock might at least have had the courtesy to let him Finnish his tea

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 20:59 - Feb 18 with 2321 viewskel

I thought I was the only Kevin around here?
Login to get fewer ads

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 02:20 - Feb 19 with 2110 viewsTalkingSutty

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 18:25 - Feb 18 by diver

I would love to see Calvin Andrew back as an adviser to Jim I get the impression that he still has affection for Dale and would part some good advice to turn things around

I must be missing something here, so apologies if I am. What qualifies Andrew to advise any manager how to do his job? It drives me mad all of this stuff...let's get Tony Ellis involved, Andrew, Beech , Mc Nulty, Henderson etc. Why would any of those names be a improvement on what we have, what have they all done in the past when it comes to managing a football team? They've done nothing. The fact they have all a connection with the club needs to be discarded, none of them have any managerial credentials apart from Beech who wasn't very good. They might all be good eggs though, I'm not disputing that.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2023 2:25]
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 02:53 - Feb 19 with 2091 viewsSandyman

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 02:20 - Feb 19 by TalkingSutty

I must be missing something here, so apologies if I am. What qualifies Andrew to advise any manager how to do his job? It drives me mad all of this stuff...let's get Tony Ellis involved, Andrew, Beech , Mc Nulty, Henderson etc. Why would any of those names be a improvement on what we have, what have they all done in the past when it comes to managing a football team? They've done nothing. The fact they have all a connection with the club needs to be discarded, none of them have any managerial credentials apart from Beech who wasn't very good. They might all be good eggs though, I'm not disputing that.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2023 2:25]

We took a chance on an ex-player called Keith Hill working in the background with no managerial credentials a while back. It worked out rather well.

That ship has passed now, but RAFC got lucky then. Who knows if we might again? Ian Henderson has the best football brain in the club by a mile. Why not try him if he's interested?
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 07:19 - Feb 19 with 2029 viewsTalkingSutty

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 02:53 - Feb 19 by Sandyman

We took a chance on an ex-player called Keith Hill working in the background with no managerial credentials a while back. It worked out rather well.

That ship has passed now, but RAFC got lucky then. Who knows if we might again? Ian Henderson has the best football brain in the club by a mile. Why not try him if he's interested?

I don't think it's the time to go for a untried rookie.Henderson has always struck me as a bit of a lone wolf, even when he captained the team. He's obviously driven and focused in what he does in life but it's too big a gamble for me, we need a manager who knows his way around and has plenty of contacts. Somebody who has experience of handling footballers who think they can rule the roost.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2023 7:27]
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 08:15 - Feb 19 with 1945 viewsNigelWatson

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 20:55 - Feb 18 by D_Alien

Whoever it is, the pillock might at least have had the courtesy to let him Finnish his tea

McStalin and the thought police.

Terrible football analyst though - one of the "Gerrit forward" gang who self-evidently knows the square root of nothing about football.

Wrong on Coleman, now laughably wrong on Bentley: a reliable footballing contraindicator

Better be careful what I write though, because McStalin will throw a hissy fit and start crying and try carting me off to the digital Gulag. That's what PC authoritarians like him try do.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2023 8:22]
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 10:10 - Feb 19 with 1796 viewsD_Alien

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 08:15 - Feb 19 by NigelWatson

McStalin and the thought police.

Terrible football analyst though - one of the "Gerrit forward" gang who self-evidently knows the square root of nothing about football.

Wrong on Coleman, now laughably wrong on Bentley: a reliable footballing contraindicator

Better be careful what I write though, because McStalin will throw a hissy fit and start crying and try carting me off to the digital Gulag. That's what PC authoritarians like him try do.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2023 8:22]

You win

Can't compete with that in the hissy fits league

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 11:47 - Feb 19 with 1669 views49thseason

He also has a Masters Degree in Sports Management, which makes him one of the brightest people in football... probably too smart to even consider getting involved. But it wouldnt hurt to ask the question.
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 10:43 - Feb 20 with 1282 viewsAtThePeake

This was my feeling at the time of hiring Bentley. I'd rather take a chance on someone who might end up being a half-decent manager than go for someone like Bentley who we already had a good indication wasn't a half-decent manager.

Alright, it might have backfired again like it did with RS - but so has hiring a so-called 'experienced' manager. At the level we're at as a club in terms of reputation and finance, the only 'experienced' managers we can attract are failed ones.

Tangled up in blue.

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 12:25 - Feb 20 with 1154 viewsBrierls

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 10:43 - Feb 20 by AtThePeake

This was my feeling at the time of hiring Bentley. I'd rather take a chance on someone who might end up being a half-decent manager than go for someone like Bentley who we already had a good indication wasn't a half-decent manager.

Alright, it might have backfired again like it did with RS - but so has hiring a so-called 'experienced' manager. At the level we're at as a club in terms of reputation and finance, the only 'experienced' managers we can attract are failed ones.

You were right on a few things in that period, but thankfully you don't make a habit of it.

I called the Bentley appointment out as a poor appointment on paper. I listened to others and came round a bit, believing the absolute minimum we'd get from a Bentley side was fight and passion. That, in my opinion, would be enough to stabilise and keep us up. So a good appointment? No. Understandable? Yes. But we've not seen that absolute minimum.

I agree with you to a point on appointing somebody who might have something. I'd have been equally unenthused by that, and now with hindsight the results couldn't have been much worse.

Back to the OP. There isn't a debate on whether Bentley was dealt a poor hand. The players recruited by Stockdale are void of quality and character, but none of this was unknown when Bentley took the job. The board were naïve to let Stockdale spend so much on transfer fees in January, and then blow our biggest L2 budget the following summer. But I think we're in dangerous territory when we're effectively asking the board to interfere in football decisions they've employed a manager to make. For balance, It's not just this board who have decided not to interfere. Years ago, in our halcyon days, Chris Dunphy and the board gave Hilly an increased budget to take us to another level. Hilly spent that budget on improved deals for the likes of Calvin Andrew.
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 13:05 - Feb 20 with 1074 viewsDale_4_Life

The Club needs a re-set and some tough conversations need to take place.

The Board need to decide how to get through the next 12-24 months to stabilise the whole club. Plug the gaping hole in the finances and communicate to the fans via the trust if necessary what the plan actually is. Tier 5 football looms and that could quickly become tier 6. Something has to change at the club gambling with the future is just not acceptable.

The light is we still have some quality on the pitch with Mullarkey / Lloyd / Henderson and lets get Brierley back in the fold. Pool another 7 who will run through walls and that at least might make a starting eleven looking like they care.

We are sleepwalking into non league we really could do with some honest communication from the board on what the immediate future (beyond Relegation) holds and what things might look like in 12 months time.

These are desperately sad worrying times.
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 13:16 - Feb 20 with 1051 viewsD_Alien

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 13:05 - Feb 20 by Dale_4_Life

The Club needs a re-set and some tough conversations need to take place.

The Board need to decide how to get through the next 12-24 months to stabilise the whole club. Plug the gaping hole in the finances and communicate to the fans via the trust if necessary what the plan actually is. Tier 5 football looms and that could quickly become tier 6. Something has to change at the club gambling with the future is just not acceptable.

The light is we still have some quality on the pitch with Mullarkey / Lloyd / Henderson and lets get Brierley back in the fold. Pool another 7 who will run through walls and that at least might make a starting eleven looking like they care.

We are sleepwalking into non league we really could do with some honest communication from the board on what the immediate future (beyond Relegation) holds and what things might look like in 12 months time.

These are desperately sad worrying times.

*sleepwalking*

Tch...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024