Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? 09:44 - Jun 12 with 8374 viewsHulaHoop

I thought I was pretty much there, but only found out last night that the 'purpose' of the two marked "D" on a football pitch, was to keep every other player a maximum distance (10yards I think) from the ball during a penalty kick...
Nice to learn something new about the beautiful game, anyone got any other not so obvious rules you'd like to share???
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:00 - Jun 12 with 4492 viewsJonDoeman

Thought everyone knew that!

It Is What It Is !!

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:15 - Jun 12 with 4455 viewsantoknee64

I was alaways under the impression that if the ball crossed the line (between the goal-posts) it was a goal .
Lol,has anybody seen the Yanky ref`s with the can of White spray attached to their waste,for the purpose of marking 10 yard`s at freekicks?.
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:15 - Jun 12 with 4454 viewsHulaHoop

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:00 - Jun 12 by JonDoeman

Thought everyone knew that!

Not me!
I knew they've always been there, so must have a reason for being on the pitch, but when asking around at work, no one had a clue...

Makes perfect sense when you think about it, but it's always nice to learn something new, so fire away with anymore, even if they seem obvious to you...
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:19 - Jun 12 with 4446 viewsrongould

Contrary to popular belief there is no "advantage rule". The ref may decide not to blow for a minor offence, to ensure the flow of play, but it is not a rule.

In rugby (both codes) the ref actually calls advantage, then play continues to ascertain whether there was an advantage or not. If not play reverts to the position of the incident, which is then dealt with according to the rules.

Even knowing this I still find my self shouting "What about the advantage rule, then ref?"
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:22 - Jun 12 with 4436 viewsrongould

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:15 - Jun 12 by HulaHoop

Not me!
I knew they've always been there, so must have a reason for being on the pitch, but when asking around at work, no one had a clue...

Makes perfect sense when you think about it, but it's always nice to learn something new, so fire away with anymore, even if they seem obvious to you...

That's the reason for the diameter of the centre circle too.

I had great difficulty in the US getting groundsmen to mark out the pitch properly even when I had made scale drawings.

One time they made the "D's" inside the penalty area.
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:25 - Jun 12 with 4425 viewsloftboy

not affected so much now, but before the interpretation that the player in an offside position had to touch the ball, there was a great mis understanding that the ball had to go forward for a player to be offside, when in fact the laws state a player is off side if he is nearer the goal line than the ball when it is played, provided there is less than two of the defending team there, not once is the direction the ball is played mentioned.
won twenty quid on that one once after nearly getting killed for giving it on a sunday morning.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:27 - Jun 12 with 4422 viewsRickyDicky

Here's one I learnt at Primary school (a looooong time ago).

At kick off, the ball must roll forward and travel a full revolution before another player (of the same team) can touch it. Doesn't ever seem to happen though.

Maybe that rule changed.

Poll: Where will we finish next Year. Starting early.

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:28 - Jun 12 with 4416 viewsloftboy

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:27 - Jun 12 by RickyDicky

Here's one I learnt at Primary school (a looooong time ago).

At kick off, the ball must roll forward and travel a full revolution before another player (of the same team) can touch it. Doesn't ever seem to happen though.

Maybe that rule changed.

it has changed, only has to be touched now.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:31 - Jun 12 with 4410 viewsballbag

Think I heard this one here...

If a player scores an own goal direct from a goal kick, the result is a corner for the opposing team.
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:36 - Jun 12 with 4401 viewsrongould

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:31 - Jun 12 by ballbag

Think I heard this one here...

If a player scores an own goal direct from a goal kick, the result is a corner for the opposing team.

That's because a goal kick is and indirect free kick. Lot's of people including players do not know the difference between direct and indirect free kicks.

Teams always make a wall for a free kick near the goal, whether the kick is direct or not. Sometimes it would be tactically more expedient not to have a wall for an indirect free kick.

I has seen it happen where from an indirect free kick the ball strikes a player and is deflected into the net.
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:41 - Jun 12 with 4394 viewsrongould

And one for pedants...

tachnically you cannot defend your goal, your goalkeeper plays in the opponents goal. He is there to stop them reaching their "goal".

It was like this until we started to have radio commentaries.

If you don't understand it look up the definition of "goal"
Have a look here

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/goal

So we are going to score ,acheiving OUR goal
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:49 - Jun 12 with 4374 viewsW7Ranger

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:41 - Jun 12 by rongould

And one for pedants...

tachnically you cannot defend your goal, your goalkeeper plays in the opponents goal. He is there to stop them reaching their "goal".

It was like this until we started to have radio commentaries.

If you don't understand it look up the definition of "goal"
Have a look here

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/goal

So we are going to score ,acheiving OUR goal

Great post Ron....especially because you said the word "tachnically"!!!
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:50 - Jun 12 with 4374 viewsQPR_John

What is the purpose, if any, of the 6 yard area around the goal apart from where goal kicks are taken from.
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:50 - Jun 12 with 4373 viewsShotKneesHoop

How about an indirect free kick for obstruction?

When did you last see one given? 1992?

Still in the rule books but never applied, running the ball out of play and standing in front of goalies are cases in point where they could / should be.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:52 - Jun 12 with 4361 viewsW7Ranger

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:50 - Jun 12 by QPR_John

What is the purpose, if any, of the 6 yard area around the goal apart from where goal kicks are taken from.

Think it's purely that John. For goal kicks that can be taken anywhere inside of this "area".
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:55 - Jun 12 with 4345 viewsNorthernr

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:50 - Jun 12 by ShotKneesHoop

How about an indirect free kick for obstruction?

When did you last see one given? 1992?

Still in the rule books but never applied, running the ball out of play and standing in front of goalies are cases in point where they could / should be.

The last time I recall seeing that given was end of the 1996/97 season at Bradford where they needed to win and we had nothing to play for. Maddix shielded a ball back to Roberts in the penalty area and the referee whistled him for it. It was a ludicrous decision. Nigel Pepper stepped up and smacked the indirect free kick into the top corner and we lost 3-0.
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:56 - Jun 12 with 4345 viewsW7Ranger

If you take a penalty, and it hits the woodwork (without the keeper touching it) and it bounces straight back to you, if you strike the ball again, a free kick (I think) will be given against you as you will have touched the ball twice with no one else touching the ball.
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 11:15 - Jun 12 with 4310 viewsQPunkR

Although the original post was nigh-on unbelievable, this has turned into a really good topic.
I only found out when as sub, and therefore performing lino duties earlier this season, the ref told me about the different angles linos are supposed to hold their little flags at when signalling for offside, to indicate to the ref which player they are giving offside against.
If it's a low flag, it's for a player on the opposite side of the pitch, at waist-level it's for a player in the centre and a high flag is for the player closest to said lino

QPR - "shit but local"

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 11:23 - Jun 12 with 4293 viewsQPR1882

you can not be offside from a goal kick.

Scored a few goals playing pub football standing 10/20 feet inside the oppos half whilst we were taking a goal kick. Was quiet funny having the defenders saying ' leave him he's offside '.
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 11:36 - Jun 12 with 4270 viewsTonto

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 11:23 - Jun 12 by QPR1882

you can not be offside from a goal kick.

Scored a few goals playing pub football standing 10/20 feet inside the oppos half whilst we were taking a goal kick. Was quiet funny having the defenders saying ' leave him he's offside '.

Shane Long tried that tactic against us - confused most folk in the crowd (including me I'll admit only found out after) and our defenders

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: How was the transfer window for you?

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 11:46 - Jun 12 with 4249 viewspadstow

Cannot be offside from a throw in.

I only found that out last year
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 11:52 - Jun 12 with 4235 viewsAntti_Heinola

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 11:36 - Jun 12 by Tonto

Shane Long tried that tactic against us - confused most folk in the crowd (including me I'll admit only found out after) and our defenders

yeah loads round me where screaming about that. I had to shout really loud to explain the rule ;)

Bare bones.

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 12:29 - Jun 12 with 4194 viewsAntti_Heinola

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:25 - Jun 12 by loftboy

not affected so much now, but before the interpretation that the player in an offside position had to touch the ball, there was a great mis understanding that the ball had to go forward for a player to be offside, when in fact the laws state a player is off side if he is nearer the goal line than the ball when it is played, provided there is less than two of the defending team there, not once is the direction the ball is played mentioned.
won twenty quid on that one once after nearly getting killed for giving it on a sunday morning.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Have to admit, I was not aware of this, but checked it on FIFA and you are right of course. However, the 'interfering with play' part has always been there, although it used to only be used, for example, if someone was lying injured - Clough had a famous line from decades ago about interfering with play and 'what are they doing on the pitch, then?'

However, you cannot be offside if you are *behind* the player playing the ball, regardless of how many people are between you and the goalline, which is perhaps where the misconception came from. Accepting that, I can't conceive of a situation where the ball would be played backwards and someone could be penalised for being in an offside position. Can you remember the scenario?

Bare bones.

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 12:46 - Jun 12 with 4158 viewsW7Ranger

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 12:29 - Jun 12 by Antti_Heinola

Have to admit, I was not aware of this, but checked it on FIFA and you are right of course. However, the 'interfering with play' part has always been there, although it used to only be used, for example, if someone was lying injured - Clough had a famous line from decades ago about interfering with play and 'what are they doing on the pitch, then?'

However, you cannot be offside if you are *behind* the player playing the ball, regardless of how many people are between you and the goalline, which is perhaps where the misconception came from. Accepting that, I can't conceive of a situation where the ball would be played backwards and someone could be penalised for being in an offside position. Can you remember the scenario?

There wouldn't be one because you can't be offside if the ball is played/pulled back to you.

Also, if 2 players are clean through on goal (no defenders in sight), and the player in possession passes to the other attacker, as long the player receiving the ball is behind the player passing the ball at the time of the pass being played (irrespective of whether the ball is played forwards or backwards), then you are Onside.
Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 13:01 - Jun 12 with 4121 viewsBathRanger

Think you know everything about the rules of football?? on 10:36 - Jun 12 by rongould

That's because a goal kick is and indirect free kick. Lot's of people including players do not know the difference between direct and indirect free kicks.

Teams always make a wall for a free kick near the goal, whether the kick is direct or not. Sometimes it would be tactically more expedient not to have a wall for an indirect free kick.

I has seen it happen where from an indirect free kick the ball strikes a player and is deflected into the net.

Just to clarify, it doesn't have to be a goal kick. If a player takes an indirect free kick from anywhere and the ball goes straight into his own goal, it is a corner to the opposing team because a goal can not be awarded from an indirect free kick if no other player has touched the ball.

I seem to remember this actually happened in a Wimbledon game many years ago. A Wimbledon defender took an indirect free kick and tried to play it back to his goalkeeper, but the ball went over the goalie's head and straight into the net. The ref incorrectly awarded the goal.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024