Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Times really have changed haven’t they. 14:58 - Jan 8 with 11695 viewsloftboy

At work we have a list on a white board with the last three letters of all our vans written down,any faults are written next to them so maintenance etc can be arranged.
Next to one of them it says “loud whining noise coming from engine”. So I’ve seen this and jokingly said “ when did that van get designated as female then” ? Now been reported for sexism!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 15:13 - Jan 10 with 2069 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I’d listen to PH Loftboy. Lots of the rest of you give me the fear!

I’ll keep my view of gender politics to myself.

Every situation different, but I’ve had a few cases like this as a TU rep. Get one of you can. In my experience 99% of the time sorted with an small apology and a handshake. Those who dig their heals in rarely succeed.

Good luck.
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 15:38 - Jan 10 with 2001 viewsed_83

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 14:48 - Jan 10 by SheffieldHoop

Fabulous post. Reinterpreting words as violence is what Twitter 2007 > 2022 got so wrong. The damage it caused to societies around the world was huge. Treating words as violence, but actual violence is written off as "Mostly peaceful" - Helped pave the way for Trump, and more.

Sometimes I see this website as having the same kind of issues Twitter had back then. A small community of users committed to the notion that "Words are violence" preventing the rest of us from having open and honest conversations about the world around us.

Alternatively, the culture wars are just as much the product of an entitled and over-sensitive group of people who cant handle the fact that the world’s changed. Treating people with respect, and demonstrating a bit of self-awareness when you’ve upset them, isn’t some woke conspiracy, it’s just basic manners.

If you want to make terrible sexist jokes at work, or be a bit racist in the pub, or whatever it is you lot are supposedly forbidden from doing or saying, then have at it, truly.

But you can’t have it both ways: if saying stuff other people find weird or offensive is apparently an unavoidable fact of life, then so too is your audience forming an opinion about you for doing so.
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 15:50 - Jan 10 with 1942 viewsSheffieldHoop

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 15:38 - Jan 10 by ed_83

Alternatively, the culture wars are just as much the product of an entitled and over-sensitive group of people who cant handle the fact that the world’s changed. Treating people with respect, and demonstrating a bit of self-awareness when you’ve upset them, isn’t some woke conspiracy, it’s just basic manners.

If you want to make terrible sexist jokes at work, or be a bit racist in the pub, or whatever it is you lot are supposedly forbidden from doing or saying, then have at it, truly.

But you can’t have it both ways: if saying stuff other people find weird or offensive is apparently an unavoidable fact of life, then so too is your audience forming an opinion about you for doing so.

Would be quicker if you just repeat the slogan....

"Words are violence"

No they're not.

Sorted.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 17:00 - Jan 10 with 1890 viewsGaryT

So just to be clear, I can be openly racist, sexist and homophobic and anyone who tells me to have a word with myself is woke because sticks and stones etc, Is that how far we have regressed?

Jesus H Christ.
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 17:29 - Jan 10 with 1845 viewsnumptydumpty

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 15:04 - Jan 10 by Rangersw12

It's not being woke to call out people's inappropriate behaviour

End of the day if you act like a cnt you should be called out on it and accept the consequences

If its very very wrong and repeated, yes absolutely.

If its a comment NOT a belief and every single person has said things in heat of the moment they regret. That's where its best to forget about it, move on and tomorrow is another day. That's where woke - ism creates MOUNTAINS that really should be molehills !!

Life is too short.

Anyhow we all support QPR so we have enough cr*p to deal with already, without adding to it unnecessarily !!!!! 🤣
[Post edited 10 Jan 17:30]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 17:53 - Jan 10 with 1788 viewsSheffieldHoop

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 17:00 - Jan 10 by GaryT

So just to be clear, I can be openly racist, sexist and homophobic and anyone who tells me to have a word with myself is woke because sticks and stones etc, Is that how far we have regressed?

Jesus H Christ.

If that's what you wanna do, you crack on.

I'd rather live with the general acceptance that my family, friends and colleagues aren't like that and the odd tongue-in-cheek joke is OK since we're all equal so it doesn't really matter.

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 18:20 - Jan 10 with 1767 viewsnumptydumpty

Jesus H Christ.

Crikey you seriously misreading statements

Most people aren't racist, homophobic or bullies but everyone occasionally says something not so great - not saying any of above isms are correct - but some things like guy picked for England when he was 27, later removed from the squad because of a tweet when he was 15 and a bit of a d*ck but one tweet as a young boy ruining his career. Woke ism is this daft...

But some people are racist and homophobic and if its openly bullying, of course hold to account but seriously don't let it ruin one's own life for the next ten years. That's woke ism too.

To me that's regression.
[Post edited 10 Jan 18:21]

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 19:00 - Jan 10 with 1687 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Can I do my Stephen Hawking impression, when he was on Eipsteins island? (Allegedly)
Login to get fewer ads

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 19:15 - Jan 10 with 1669 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 19:00 - Jan 10 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Can I do my Stephen Hawking impression, when he was on Eipsteins island? (Allegedly)

In front of your pals at the pub? Yes
In a sold out Hammersmith Apollo? Yes
To 6,000,000 Netflix subscribers? Yes
At a work presentation? No
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 21:56 - Jan 10 with 1524 viewsSimplyNico

Clive, in his usual, thoughtful way, has just posted a piece about the culture of organisations being set by what they are prepared to tolerate. This includes the way in which their employees are allowed to behave (as you will recall, is it acceptable for Taylor Richards to vanish into the ether, for injured players to not show up and support their teammates and so on).

The point that your company will be looking at is whether it is acceptable for employees to make comments which, however well intentioned they are and funny they seem at the time, set the tone for the organisation and expose the employer to risk.

These days, when an employer is on the receiving end of a discrimination claim in an Employment Tribunal, they will be asked (whether in cross-examination or by the Tribunal) about their culture as an organisation: do they have current training in place which highlights what is acceptable, do they update it, do they have an equal opportunities policy and do they have a zero tolerance to discrimination. If they take these sorts of measures, they have a chance of being able to run the employer’s defence to a discrimination claim under the Equality Act 2010, s109(4): that is, that they have taken all reasonable steps to prevent it.

Nearly every week, there is a newspaper story published showing another example of workplace discrimination. Today’s example was Kalam v West Midlands Constabulary. A female former firearms officer was awarded £820,000 of compensation for the discriminatory conduct of her work colleagues which included, amongst other things, comments such as “just because you have tits does not mean you cannot do a press up”. That was probably thought to be motivational banter.

You will probably recall that Ricky Gervais lampooned the idiocy of his workplace creation, David Brent and his mate, Chris Finch, the Bantersaurus Rex, over 20 years ago now. Employment Tribunals do not tolerate workplace comments in the nature of banter and your employer will not either. There is too much at stake for them financially. As has been suggested to you by more than one poster, it would probably be better to be contrite rather than protest that they are being humourless.
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 22:55 - Jan 10 with 1435 viewsstainrods_elbow

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 15:04 - Jan 10 by Rangersw12

It's not being woke to call out people's inappropriate behaviour

End of the day if you act like a cnt you should be called out on it and accept the consequences

Hilarious! The very dualistic idea of (i) 'appropriate' and 'inappropriate' behaviour and (ii) one group enforcing the standard on another is itself the quintessence of wokeness. Here's a nice piece about this pernicious politicking around the term.

https://buffsoldier-96.medium.com/on-the-word-inappropriate-7f484296dfc1

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 23:51 - Jan 10 with 1409 viewsnumptydumpty

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 22:55 - Jan 10 by stainrods_elbow

Hilarious! The very dualistic idea of (i) 'appropriate' and 'inappropriate' behaviour and (ii) one group enforcing the standard on another is itself the quintessence of wokeness. Here's a nice piece about this pernicious politicking around the term.

https://buffsoldier-96.medium.com/on-the-word-inappropriate-7f484296dfc1

I did work with a man who had an extremely annoying and consistent habit of offering his sense of humour up, every single morning of every single week of every single month of every single year.

I used to find his comment extremely offensive as did others but none of us took steps to do anything about it and he continued with his abhorrent behaviour !!!

The situation was thus - every time you saw this man in the morning and said hello and how are you - he used to reply.....

"Not three bad !!!"

It was his little joke but the first time it wasnt that funny the 9072nd time, it did make ones head spin !!!!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
[Post edited 10 Jan 23:53]

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 00:00 - Jan 11 with 1398 viewsMidlands_Ranger

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 19:15 - Jan 10 by BazzaInTheLoft

In front of your pals at the pub? Yes
In a sold out Hammersmith Apollo? Yes
To 6,000,000 Netflix subscribers? Yes
At a work presentation? No

This is straight up true and funny as hell!!
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 07:39 - Jan 11 with 1292 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 21:56 - Jan 10 by SimplyNico

Clive, in his usual, thoughtful way, has just posted a piece about the culture of organisations being set by what they are prepared to tolerate. This includes the way in which their employees are allowed to behave (as you will recall, is it acceptable for Taylor Richards to vanish into the ether, for injured players to not show up and support their teammates and so on).

The point that your company will be looking at is whether it is acceptable for employees to make comments which, however well intentioned they are and funny they seem at the time, set the tone for the organisation and expose the employer to risk.

These days, when an employer is on the receiving end of a discrimination claim in an Employment Tribunal, they will be asked (whether in cross-examination or by the Tribunal) about their culture as an organisation: do they have current training in place which highlights what is acceptable, do they update it, do they have an equal opportunities policy and do they have a zero tolerance to discrimination. If they take these sorts of measures, they have a chance of being able to run the employer’s defence to a discrimination claim under the Equality Act 2010, s109(4): that is, that they have taken all reasonable steps to prevent it.

Nearly every week, there is a newspaper story published showing another example of workplace discrimination. Today’s example was Kalam v West Midlands Constabulary. A female former firearms officer was awarded £820,000 of compensation for the discriminatory conduct of her work colleagues which included, amongst other things, comments such as “just because you have tits does not mean you cannot do a press up”. That was probably thought to be motivational banter.

You will probably recall that Ricky Gervais lampooned the idiocy of his workplace creation, David Brent and his mate, Chris Finch, the Bantersaurus Rex, over 20 years ago now. Employment Tribunals do not tolerate workplace comments in the nature of banter and your employer will not either. There is too much at stake for them financially. As has been suggested to you by more than one poster, it would probably be better to be contrite rather than protest that they are being humourless.

To be fair to him, Loftboy seems to have evolved from the thinking displayed in his OP and looks to be taking ownership for the consequences of his conduct. As opposed to seeking to justify, blame everyone else, cry foul and then claim to be the actual victim of their actions for which he deserves some credit, especially as he has been open about listening to Mrs Loftboy!

To add to you post Nico, and as a cautionary note for some, its not just the employer who can be named as a respondent in the ET1, individuals can too. Given the potential for an employer to satisfy the statutory test - albeit the bar was high in my time - for belt and braces I would name instigator(s) in the list of respondendents where alleged conduct was particularly egregious. Upped the anti a notch, but tactically delicious at times.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 08:56 - Jan 11 with 1216 viewsGloucs_R

Has anyone seen the new Ricky gervais special on Netflix?

STOP...

I'm joking, joking.......

Poll: Are we staying up?

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 09:40 - Jan 11 with 1145 viewsDiscodroids

How Wonderful to see loftboy 'evolving' from the birth of this thread , just a mere 66 hours ago. It's like watching the monolith being planted into the salted earth in '2001', for us unevolved primates to dance around.

Congratulations Loftboy on your cultural developement into a homosapien that gets tossed a sabertooth tiger chop as reward from the LFW higher thinkers for converting to the correct train of thought.

Over the course of the next 36 hours, I for one look forward to Loftboy awakening his pineal gland from it's dormant slumbers and evolving it to break free from it's Thalamus chamber to cast his third eye across those not in lockstep with the correct 'comedy wavelength.'

Given Rob's accelerated evolvement into the avenues and alleyways of correct thought, By Watford kick off Sunday , he may have evolved to Elemental levels by harnessing the power of Telekinesis to rip out incorrect thoughts percolating in the minds eye of recidivists who tarry outside the parameters, sphere and indeed confines, of the LFW leftist dojo politique.

well done rob on your evolution!, It's been a long journey... Yet i have every faith in you evolving further and being able to fold space and time to slingshot your Consciousness around the kuiper belt by kick off on Sunday , while your physical omnikinetic subatomic particles remain in the ellerslie road stand watching Watford knock in five goals direct from corners and set pieces.

Viva evolution and the joyus path to the divine scriptures of correct thinking!
[Post edited 11 Jan 10:31]

".... You are the... Duke of New York... You're A-Number One!".

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 09:54 - Jan 11 with 1116 viewsTheChef

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 23:51 - Jan 10 by numptydumpty

I did work with a man who had an extremely annoying and consistent habit of offering his sense of humour up, every single morning of every single week of every single month of every single year.

I used to find his comment extremely offensive as did others but none of us took steps to do anything about it and he continued with his abhorrent behaviour !!!

The situation was thus - every time you saw this man in the morning and said hello and how are you - he used to reply.....

"Not three bad !!!"

It was his little joke but the first time it wasnt that funny the 9072nd time, it did make ones head spin !!!!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
[Post edited 10 Jan 23:53]

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 10:27 - Jan 11 with 1059 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 09:40 - Jan 11 by Discodroids

How Wonderful to see loftboy 'evolving' from the birth of this thread , just a mere 66 hours ago. It's like watching the monolith being planted into the salted earth in '2001', for us unevolved primates to dance around.

Congratulations Loftboy on your cultural developement into a homosapien that gets tossed a sabertooth tiger chop as reward from the LFW higher thinkers for converting to the correct train of thought.

Over the course of the next 36 hours, I for one look forward to Loftboy awakening his pineal gland from it's dormant slumbers and evolving it to break free from it's Thalamus chamber to cast his third eye across those not in lockstep with the correct 'comedy wavelength.'

Given Rob's accelerated evolvement into the avenues and alleyways of correct thought, By Watford kick off Sunday , he may have evolved to Elemental levels by harnessing the power of Telekinesis to rip out incorrect thoughts percolating in the minds eye of recidivists who tarry outside the parameters, sphere and indeed confines, of the LFW leftist dojo politique.

well done rob on your evolution!, It's been a long journey... Yet i have every faith in you evolving further and being able to fold space and time to slingshot your Consciousness around the kuiper belt by kick off on Sunday , while your physical omnikinetic subatomic particles remain in the ellerslie road stand watching Watford knock in five goals direct from corners and set pieces.

Viva evolution and the joyus path to the divine scriptures of correct thinking!
[Post edited 11 Jan 10:31]

I think it takes a lot to say what he's said, and it's to his credit that he has. He's also received some solid suggestions about how to approach his forthcoming internal disciplinary/grievance.

Good luck to him!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 10:47 - Jan 11 with 1029 viewsDiscodroids

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 10:27 - Jan 11 by PlanetHonneywood

I think it takes a lot to say what he's said, and it's to his credit that he has. He's also received some solid suggestions about how to approach his forthcoming internal disciplinary/grievance.

Good luck to him!

Well it took God 6 days to evolve the earthly void with light, land and divided waters, yet it only took 66 hours for the usual crew on here to evolve rob into a correct thinking  individual under their own firmament of creation.

Truly we lay before the expanse of gods on this fourm .
[Post edited 11 Jan 10:48]

".... You are the... Duke of New York... You're A-Number One!".

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 10:54 - Jan 11 with 1013 viewsHoopinEssex

We cannot control the external events around us, but we can control our reactions to them.” – Epictetus

We are in the weakest minded generation ever imo. People actively look to be offended or take offence on behalf of others.

Always think what would the poorest people in the third world think of us. While they worry about feeding their family.
our society worries about this nonsense

We have never had it so good. Maybe that's the problem
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 11:37 - Jan 11 with 931 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

I don't like people with no toes. I'm lack toes intolerant.

I'm here every night, thank you and good night.
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 11:51 - Jan 11 with 880 viewsGloucs_R

Jesus H Christ.

I would rather you didn't use the Lord's name in vain!

That's highly offensive to us Christians.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 14:11 - Jan 11 with 768 viewsSheffieldHoop

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 21:56 - Jan 10 by SimplyNico

Well, the professional-managerial class has spoken, lads. Better just shut your mouths and suffer in silence. Just as you should for everything else. Sad.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024