Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Times really have changed haven’t they. 14:58 - Jan 8 with 11694 viewsloftboy

At work we have a list on a white board with the last three letters of all our vans written down,any faults are written next to them so maintenance etc can be arranged.
Next to one of them it says “loud whining noise coming from engine”. So I’ve seen this and jokingly said “ when did that van get designated as female then” ? Now been reported for sexism!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 20:40 - Jan 8 with 2602 viewsnumptydumpty

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 20:28 - Jan 8 by SheffieldHoop

My dad lost both legs beneath the knee, and later on a few of his fingers. The banter at his disability user groups was top.

Edit - Wouldn't usually do this as I find it all a bit phoney online, but as somebody has had a dig, I'll take this chance to thank you for all your work helping people living with disabilities. Respect.
[Post edited 8 Jan 20:31]

Good on yer dad for taking it with good grace Sheffield - sometimes dark humour helps

Cheers for the thanks regards the work.

It doesnt pay as much as my previous roles which were in corporate organisations, but its a lot more fun and sometimes people can be extremely grateful which in its own way adds a few noughts onto your salary in terms of the way you can be feeling day to day.

Got a couple that attend with Tourettes and in a public environment, you have to laugh as it lightens the atmosphere,

PlanetHonneywood will be on my back again with this but think there are 15000 that attend Loftus Road regualrly that may suffer from this affliction too !!!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 20:42 - Jan 8 with 2589 viewsNoDiddley

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 20:38 - Jan 8 by ted_hendrix

This MB gets tougher by the day to read.

Jim the hip & that Sheffield hoop should get their own message board, it’s like fcuking question time on here.
Football, Football…
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 20:49 - Jan 8 with 2560 viewsRangersw12

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 20:26 - Jan 8 by numptydumpty

Crikey picking up on a comment written quickly.

I have worked for charities working with vulnerable adults for twenty years chap.

Or should I say a charity for people with vulnerabilities as you so cleverly point out

As for a flippant joke - the guy who is the manager is a mate - we known each other for years - he is a friend of mine - it wasnt written down - a brief moment of being a bit dodgy - he knows i have no discriminating bones in my body and often jokes with me about being pseudo queer - but guess you would be against this as well yourself.

Our charity is very welcoming to all - but you have put me in my place - well done.

Have you worked with viulnerabe people for two decades - where is your experience and knowledge with this - we quite often laugh at ourselves - its all done in good faith - but if you want to put me down as deviant - really well done..... Sometimes dark humour amongst colleagues helps as we do face some challenging situations where difficult circumstances are faced but we go to work and actually enjoy being around our colleagues and its a very inclusive workforce that has been stable for many years and we are a very tight knit group, so yes thanks for the advice planethooneywood !!!!!
[Post edited 8 Jan 20:48]

Fair play to you

My partner works for a charity in an education setting for 16-24 year olds with disabilities , she absolutely loves it and so rewarding at times as she genuinely makes a difference to these peoples lives .

I do envy people who do a job they love rather than working for a corporate company like I do
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 20:49 - Jan 8 with 2528 viewsSheffieldHoop

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 20:40 - Jan 8 by numptydumpty

Good on yer dad for taking it with good grace Sheffield - sometimes dark humour helps

Cheers for the thanks regards the work.

It doesnt pay as much as my previous roles which were in corporate organisations, but its a lot more fun and sometimes people can be extremely grateful which in its own way adds a few noughts onto your salary in terms of the way you can be feeling day to day.

Got a couple that attend with Tourettes and in a public environment, you have to laugh as it lightens the atmosphere,

PlanetHonneywood will be on my back again with this but think there are 15000 that attend Loftus Road regualrly that may suffer from this affliction too !!!!

No thank you, you've reminded me of my dad, who often had a serious axe to grind with whichever poor fcker the council sent down, and his trusty deputy Stiff neck Steve, who called everybody "monsieur". A dynamic duo who did a lot to help out some of the very vulnerable people there. Both gone now, but better people from better times.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 20:54 - Jan 8 with 2535 viewsMidlands_Ranger

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 20:28 - Jan 8 by SheffieldHoop

My dad lost both legs beneath the knee, and later on a few of his fingers. The banter at his disability user groups was top.

Edit - Wouldn't usually do this as I find it all a bit phoney online, but as somebody has had a dig, I'll take this chance to thank you for all your work helping people living with disabilities. Respect.
[Post edited 8 Jan 20:31]

Sometimes those people in those situations,living with it, want a bit of banter, it's the laughter that helps, remember camaraderie and all that.

I'm not saying I'm any better than anyone but I don't take offence at much, I can be a twaat, I can be a bit of a knobb, I am a bit of a miserable git, I am this I am that and more some of the time, but I also know when it's said to hurt me and at that point I may get a little offended but then I might get a little offensive back and level the playing field.

Now I'm not the most secure man alive but it seems to be that there's some very insecure, petty and close minded people about these days picking up on things that I suspect don't really offend them.....more give them an opportunity for a moment of worth in there small little worlds. All eras had ther problems but this one is full of self created ones caused by people who think the world and every comment that surfaces revolves around there existence......you gotta have something about you, we can't all be so weak!
[Post edited 8 Jan 20:55]
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 20:56 - Jan 8 with 2525 viewsnumptydumpty

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 20:49 - Jan 8 by Rangersw12

Fair play to you

My partner works for a charity in an education setting for 16-24 year olds with disabilities , she absolutely loves it and so rewarding at times as she genuinely makes a difference to these peoples lives .

I do envy people who do a job they love rather than working for a corporate company like I do

Good for her and yes am sure it gives your partner a nice fuzzy feeling when she knows that someone she is helping is extremely grateful.

I guess i was fortunate money was not as important for me in recent times but perhaps you could do your normal working role for a large national charity to know you are indirectly helping, if you fancied a change of direction.

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 21:01 - Jan 8 with 2489 viewsessextaxiboy

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 20:42 - Jan 8 by NoDiddley

Jim the hip & that Sheffield hoop should get their own message board, it’s like fcuking question time on here.
Football, Football…

Yep , another thread on the edge of being hijacked.
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 11:27 - Jan 9 with 2219 viewsSheffieldHoop

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 21:01 - Jan 8 by essextaxiboy

Yep , another thread on the edge of being hijacked.

A new generation coming through. Will happen to us all eventually.

Login to get fewer ads

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 12:29 - Jan 9 with 2197 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I have worked for charities working with vulnerable adults for twenty years chap.

Or should I say a charity for people with vulnerabilities as you so cleverly point out

As for a flippant joke - the guy who is the manager is a mate - we known each other for years - he is a friend of mine - it wasnt written down - a brief moment of being a bit dodgy - he knows i have no discriminating bones in my body and often jokes with me about being pseudo queer - but guess you would be against this as well yourself.

Our charity is very welcoming to all - but you have put me in my place - well done.

Have you worked with viulnerabe people for two decades - where is your experience and knowledge with this - we quite often laugh at ourselves - its all done in good faith - but if you want to put me down as deviant - really well done..... Sometimes dark humour amongst colleagues helps as we do face some challenging situations where difficult circumstances are faced but we go to work and actually enjoy being around our colleagues and its a very inclusive workforce that has been stable for many years and we are a very tight knit group, so yes thanks for the advice planethooneywood !!!!!

Well, as you've asked...

You say you have worked for charities for twenty years, and while we don't know what exactly you do, you could of course be 'Derek from accounts', I nonetheless would expect you to at least use the correct terminology for people with disabilities! It wasn't a case of me being clever rather, of me using the appropriate and accepted term for such people. Should you feel put in your place, then so be it.

You ask have I worked with vulnerable people and what is my my knowledge and experience to, in effect, question you?

Since the mid-90s (which would be three decades) I worked for 15years as a labour lawyer in the UK. During that time I represented hundreds of people, predominantly subjected to discrimination due to their race and gender. Accordingly, and why I am able to comment, is that in many of those cases: the person had to put up with discrimination because in the eyes of the perpetrator(s), they 'were only having a laugh' and 'didn't mean anything by it' or, 's/he shouldn't be so uptight!'

These lines, while not verbatim, were the comments I received when seeking witnesses in a sex discrimination case where 'the boys' were making jokes about women being raped and the instigator of such, was aware that my client had been raped as a young woman (huge victory in the end). And similar comments about black/asians being a bit too uptight when things were, supposedly said in jest, is where people need to appreciate: just because you or I find something funny, does not mean another person will and, depending on the joke, offence may be occasioned.

Then, several years working overseas for people with disabilities who, in some cases, were subjected to atrocious treatment. Part of my work, saw me set up a program to get young people with disabilities into university (which has continued and spread to other countries), and an element of the program, was to work on building self-confidence and skills on how to handle situations of being abused.

Having five decades plus experience of being a person with a disability myself, and being able to handle what some might consider perfectly acceptable banter because hey, they didn't mean nothing by it and they were only joking, I sought to empower the recipients of those jokes to not accept being the butt of other peoples' jokes because, hey the other person was either to thick, ignorant or simply unaware that what was funny to them might not be to the person they were consciously or subconsciously mocking!

Throw in years working with people vulnerable to exploitation, from losing jobs to physical violence and worse, because of their status as trade union representatives in Myanmar and the Philippines; migrant workers in Qatar, and a stint dealing with, in several cases, unlawfully/questionably incarcerated people in the US, are where I am coming from in terms of actual hands on experience and knowledge.

During that time, my colleagues and frequently worked in situations that can best be described as 'difficult' and, while humour is indeed an important tool in handling pressures, I cannot recall ever feeling the need and/or having colleagues who felt that reducing workplace stresses would be assisted by making comments that are/would be illegal at worst and carry the potential to make it difficult for a person to come to work.

I don't know if you said your comment and other such comments in front of others or not, and it does not matter a jot if it is written or not, but if that is the level of banter you have with your boss, then, given the experience and knowledge detailed above, you would be advised to keep it out of other people's earshot for fear of offending them and if it were me, I'd still be wary of potentially offending someone because I thought they were on my comedy wavelength.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 14:01 - Jan 9 with 2068 viewsSheffieldHoop

This is the part where they get some critical theorist type to come up with a load of hyperbole, resulting in your perfectly innocent joke being designated "abusive" and you being designated some sort of "ist" (Ableist in this case) - Despite whatever you do or have done in your life that renders the accusation meaningless - Like you know, working for a disabled charity when you could quite easily find financially more rewarding employment elsewhere.

They accuse working class men of being a protected class with protected beliefs in Britain, but it doesn't take much testing of this theory to discover they are exactly what they accuse you of.

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 14:32 - Jan 9 with 2043 viewsed_83

Women wanting to come into work and not be confronted with unfunny banter belittling them? Absolutely shameful, how dare they. Everyone knows that reheating thirty year old Jim Davidson jokes is much more important than treating your colleagues with respect.

Seriously though: doesn’t sound like you meant any harm by it, so I do genuinely hope they treat this as a learning opportunity rather than throwing the book at you. But it’s definitely an opportunity to rethink how social and workplace expectations have changed.
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 19:31 - Jan 9 with 1917 viewsBoston

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 15:15 - Jan 8 by numptydumpty

🤣 🤣

Whatever you do, don't do a Benny Hill impersonation.

I work for a disabilities charity and my manager is gay and we were talking about staffs place in the Xmas period. I said to my manager, he would be the "Fairy" on top of the tree.

He knows that my sense of humour is very tongue in cheek and we get on fine and he also knows I am very against discrimination for all sorts of differences or disabilities and knows my humour is dodgy but it was taken with the fun in which it was said.

Clearly your comment is not vindocative. If colleagues so up their own backsides that a simple tongue in cheek doesn't mean you are a sexist pig. Most people can tell the difference between a sense of fun and an insult.

And if they know you not to be sexist then that's mad. Suggest might be better start looking for more inclusive employers in the real world not stuck in this PC manic world.

Hope you don't get disciplined. That would be ridiculously poor by your employers. Jobsworth !!!
[Post edited 8 Jan 15:15]

I used to love tongue in cheek ...but I got so many oral infections.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 22:39 - Jan 9 with 1795 viewsnumptydumpty

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 12:29 - Jan 9 by PlanetHonneywood

Well, as you've asked...

You say you have worked for charities for twenty years, and while we don't know what exactly you do, you could of course be 'Derek from accounts', I nonetheless would expect you to at least use the correct terminology for people with disabilities! It wasn't a case of me being clever rather, of me using the appropriate and accepted term for such people. Should you feel put in your place, then so be it.

You ask have I worked with vulnerable people and what is my my knowledge and experience to, in effect, question you?

Since the mid-90s (which would be three decades) I worked for 15years as a labour lawyer in the UK. During that time I represented hundreds of people, predominantly subjected to discrimination due to their race and gender. Accordingly, and why I am able to comment, is that in many of those cases: the person had to put up with discrimination because in the eyes of the perpetrator(s), they 'were only having a laugh' and 'didn't mean anything by it' or, 's/he shouldn't be so uptight!'

These lines, while not verbatim, were the comments I received when seeking witnesses in a sex discrimination case where 'the boys' were making jokes about women being raped and the instigator of such, was aware that my client had been raped as a young woman (huge victory in the end). And similar comments about black/asians being a bit too uptight when things were, supposedly said in jest, is where people need to appreciate: just because you or I find something funny, does not mean another person will and, depending on the joke, offence may be occasioned.

Then, several years working overseas for people with disabilities who, in some cases, were subjected to atrocious treatment. Part of my work, saw me set up a program to get young people with disabilities into university (which has continued and spread to other countries), and an element of the program, was to work on building self-confidence and skills on how to handle situations of being abused.

Having five decades plus experience of being a person with a disability myself, and being able to handle what some might consider perfectly acceptable banter because hey, they didn't mean nothing by it and they were only joking, I sought to empower the recipients of those jokes to not accept being the butt of other peoples' jokes because, hey the other person was either to thick, ignorant or simply unaware that what was funny to them might not be to the person they were consciously or subconsciously mocking!

Throw in years working with people vulnerable to exploitation, from losing jobs to physical violence and worse, because of their status as trade union representatives in Myanmar and the Philippines; migrant workers in Qatar, and a stint dealing with, in several cases, unlawfully/questionably incarcerated people in the US, are where I am coming from in terms of actual hands on experience and knowledge.

During that time, my colleagues and frequently worked in situations that can best be described as 'difficult' and, while humour is indeed an important tool in handling pressures, I cannot recall ever feeling the need and/or having colleagues who felt that reducing workplace stresses would be assisted by making comments that are/would be illegal at worst and carry the potential to make it difficult for a person to come to work.

I don't know if you said your comment and other such comments in front of others or not, and it does not matter a jot if it is written or not, but if that is the level of banter you have with your boss, then, given the experience and knowledge detailed above, you would be advised to keep it out of other people's earshot for fear of offending them and if it were me, I'd still be wary of potentially offending someone because I thought they were on my comedy wavelength.

Good for you but yes of course I am careful

I have had a severe health diagnosis myself as has my partner and many friends and colleagues hence why I work where I do.

Yes was originally from a management perspective but now am more directly involved with care, counselling and training so am very keen that vulnerable people do not get abused.

But yes thanks again for informing me that I should not joke about stuff in front of people it could upset. You telling me off again. I live in the real world and I know when I can lighten the atmosphere with a joke and when I have to be more careful dependent on who is there.

But perhaps you may care to readdress your approach. It comes across as sanctimonious as the rest of us have no brain. Well done

Life can be too serious but a tongue in cheek comment amongst friends is not something that needs a massive full blown lecture

I hope you are well
[Post edited 9 Jan 22:43]

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 23:04 - Jan 9 with 1749 viewsDevonwhitewhitewhite

Well, as you've asked...

Hi, what IS your "Comedy Wavelength". A few examples of things you find funny would be, well, interesting. As we all know, or , should, the funniest jokes tend to be the cruellest. That gasp of astonishment before the roar of laughter.
Times really have changed haven’t they. (n/t) on 01:05 - Jan 10 with 1669 viewslightwaterhoop

Well, as you've asked...

[Post edited 10 Jan 8:13]
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 08:23 - Jan 10 with 1517 viewsSpaceman_P

It's a shame how things have turned out, you've really got to watch what you say nowadays because you'll inevitably upset someone or other whether its friends, family or work mates.

There is someone who's always incredibly woke who'll be offended by everything sadly but the worst thing is that things get taken out of context all the time.
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 08:28 - Jan 10 with 1503 viewsWokingR

In an attempt to drag this thread back to normality and a level that isn't costing Clive any more stress, I think the whining noise may be the bearings in the water pump.
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 08:52 - Jan 10 with 1478 viewsRangersDave

Oh, dont call anyone chap, as you may offend.

The clear route here is to hide yourself in a box, digitise your voice so no one knows your gender, never come out of the box, and everything you then say must be vetted by everyone in every 'community' to make sure every word is neutral and agreed in writing by all, so as not to cause offense.

Once you have done this, you must create a dictionary of words accepted by everyone (please dont forget to include race, colour, tone, pantone, and nouns / pro-nouns etc etc etc)

Then once you've done this, you must then do the same for disabilities, animals, sea creatures etc, as someone, somewhere probably identifies as being a marlin, or tuna.

Now, i wouldnt suggest for 1 minute that all above covers every angle, (if angles are allowed, if so i'd be an 270 sided something) as someone/something/ somewhere/some place will take offense.

Me? i just think we are completely Fc uk'd up!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 08:58 - Jan 10 with 1466 viewsRangersw12

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 08:52 - Jan 10 by RangersDave

Oh, dont call anyone chap, as you may offend.

The clear route here is to hide yourself in a box, digitise your voice so no one knows your gender, never come out of the box, and everything you then say must be vetted by everyone in every 'community' to make sure every word is neutral and agreed in writing by all, so as not to cause offense.

Once you have done this, you must create a dictionary of words accepted by everyone (please dont forget to include race, colour, tone, pantone, and nouns / pro-nouns etc etc etc)

Then once you've done this, you must then do the same for disabilities, animals, sea creatures etc, as someone, somewhere probably identifies as being a marlin, or tuna.

Now, i wouldnt suggest for 1 minute that all above covers every angle, (if angles are allowed, if so i'd be an 270 sided something) as someone/something/ somewhere/some place will take offense.

Me? i just think we are completely Fc uk'd up!

Or how about just treat people with respect and remember it's not the 80s and you can't act like Jim Davidson anymore
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 09:31 - Jan 10 with 1414 viewsloftboy

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 08:58 - Jan 10 by Rangersw12

Or how about just treat people with respect and remember it's not the 80s and you can't act like Jim Davidson anymore

That’s basically what my mrs said to me, unfortunately I am a 12 year old in a 56 year old body!!
It’s going to be tough !!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 09:48 - Jan 10 with 1381 viewsRangersDave

thats it , i just got 'down voted', and i'm now 'triggered', and will now spend the rest of my day looking and waiting nervously for a balancing up vote or more.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 11:17 - Jan 10 with 1317 viewsSpaceman_P

pull my finger
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 14:26 - Jan 10 with 1191 viewsnumptydumpty

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 09:31 - Jan 10 by loftboy

That’s basically what my mrs said to me, unfortunately I am a 12 year old in a 56 year old body!!
It’s going to be tough !!

Best way to be.

I would probably prefer to be a lot younger than 12.

Being a toddler - not tiddler (massively inappropriate - anyhow remaining with a three year old mindset - where the wrapping paper is way more interesting than the expensive toy inside - and everything is new and amazing - prefer to have that mindset - although would burp, fart and belch a lot but there are certain bodily functions that are uncontrollable!!!

Am only kidding for the more sensitive amongst us.

Whatever anyone thinks of being very woke or not, the best philosophy in life to always remember IMO is the phrase " Sticks and Stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me"

I fear that this now is almost turned on its head

What I would say for the woke agenda if you can realise that name calling or inappropriateness will always happen as humans are not perfect so the best way to deal with it, is to ignore it if it does offend you, as complaining, moaning and criticising those that do is only going to put someone s back up and they liable to repeat the words just more behind people's backs as opposed to out in the open and to them.

I feel woke ism makes people much more fragile than needs be.

There is zero point in getting upset about others words which we have no control over. It's our reaction that can be controlled.

Forget about it and move on - but what do I know - as I am one of those 50 something dinosaurs with no compassion and no brain.

And here enedeth the last lesson of Numpty.

Amen.....
[Post edited 10 Jan 14:29]

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 14:48 - Jan 10 with 1129 viewsSheffieldHoop

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 14:26 - Jan 10 by numptydumpty

Best way to be.

Being a toddler - not tiddler (massively inappropriate - anyhow remaining with a three year old mindset - where the wrapping paper is way more interesting than the expensive toy inside - and everything is new and amazing - prefer to have that mindset - although would burp, fart and belch a lot but there are certain bodily functions that are uncontrollable!!!

Whatever anyone thinks of being very woke or not, the best philosophy in life to always remember IMO is the phrase " Sticks and Stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me"

What I would say for the woke agenda if you can realise that name calling or inappropriateness will always happen as humans are not perfect so the best way to deal with it, is to ignore it if it does offend you, as complaining, moaning and criticising those that do is only going to put someone s back up and they liable to repeat the words just more behind people's backs as opposed to out in the open and to them.

There is zero point in getting upset about others words which we have no control over. It's our reaction that can be controlled.

Forget about it and move on - but what do I know - as I am one of those 50 something dinosaurs with no compassion and no brain.

Amen.....

Fabulous post. Reinterpreting words as violence is what Twitter 2007 > 2022 got so wrong. The damage it caused to societies around the world was huge. Treating words as violence, but actual violence is written off as "Mostly peaceful" - Helped pave the way for Trump, and more.

Sometimes I see this website as having the same kind of issues Twitter had back then. A small community of users committed to the notion that "Words are violence" preventing the rest of us from having open and honest conversations about the world around us.

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 15:04 - Jan 10 with 1116 viewsRangersw12

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 14:26 - Jan 10 by numptydumpty

Best way to be.

Amen.....

It's not being woke to call out people's inappropriate behaviour

End of the day if you act like a cnt you should be called out on it and accept the consequences
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024