Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ollie on Open All Rs 15:33 - Apr 5 with 9324 viewsdmm

Has anyone else listened to the latest Open All Rs podcast? It's an Ollie special.

His main point is supporters must get behind Ainsworth and the team to help them avoid relegation. Absolutely fair enough, and it sounded like he was back in the dressing room at halftime 1-0 down.

But after a while, his stream of consciousness becomes something of a convoluted diatribe about anything and everything. He must have taken 90% of the conversation. I love the man, as we all do, but when he's like this I can't help wondering if he's okay.
Ollie on Open All Rs on 23:45 - Apr 5 with 2258 viewsqprxtc

I enjoyed it. You get Ollie in, you get Ollie. There you is.

It’s not his fish to fry but it’s his to smell. And he ain’t for that kinda fish.

All that matters is we win on Friday. That’s it baby.

If you chaps want to talk without interruption get Paul Hart.

Good fun it was.
Ollie on Open All Rs on 08:29 - Apr 6 with 2046 viewskernowhoop

Ollie on Open All Rs on 23:16 - Apr 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

Even though they were wrapped in a prickly package, I agreed with every point he made.

We can’t control what the players, staff, or board do. All we can do is

A) Support as much as we can
B) Don’t

I know which one gives us the better chance of survival, even if they don’t deserve it.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2023 23:56]

Spot on Bazza.
Ollie on Open All Rs on 09:38 - Apr 6 with 1956 viewsGaryBannister86

Ollie on Open All Rs on 08:29 - Apr 6 by kernowhoop

Spot on Bazza.

Each to his / her own of course, but never really got the Holloway love-in or alleged legend status. Never agreed that his playing career was useful as "Wilkins' legs" - in my opinion he was a terrible footballer, very lucky to be playing in such a good side.

As for his management - one good season out of how many? Pretty decent relative budget to get us up too, pretty similar achievement to Redknapp I say. As a previous poster said, thanks for Sheff Wed away and that season, but far too much of the rest of it was.....odd.
Ollie on Open All Rs on 09:44 - Apr 6 with 1935 viewsRangersw12

Ollie on Open All Rs on 09:38 - Apr 6 by GaryBannister86

Each to his / her own of course, but never really got the Holloway love-in or alleged legend status. Never agreed that his playing career was useful as "Wilkins' legs" - in my opinion he was a terrible footballer, very lucky to be playing in such a good side.

As for his management - one good season out of how many? Pretty decent relative budget to get us up too, pretty similar achievement to Redknapp I say. As a previous poster said, thanks for Sheff Wed away and that season, but far too much of the rest of it was.....odd.

If it wasn't for him I genuinely don't think we would have a club.

If you went to games in those days it was a fantastic period going home & away and hasnt been bettered since

Putting him in the same breath as Redknapp is a disgrace and clearly trolling
[Post edited 6 Apr 2023 9:46]
Ollie on Open All Rs on 09:47 - Apr 6 with 1926 viewsGaryBannister86

Ollie on Open All Rs on 09:44 - Apr 6 by Rangersw12

If you went to games in those days it was a fantastic period going home & away and hasnt been bettered since

Hardly putting him in the same breath as Redknapp - just comparing the two promotions!

Not trolling - lots of my Rangers mates love Holloway. I've just never got him. Maybe biased by watching too much of his midfield performances.

I've been going home and away since the 80s and I don't agree that period was a halycon one. We were competitive (for once) but it was League One.

As I say, though, I know I am an outlier with Holloway.
Ollie on Open All Rs on 10:07 - Apr 6 with 1873 viewsRangersw12

Ollie on Open All Rs on 09:47 - Apr 6 by GaryBannister86

Hardly putting him in the same breath as Redknapp - just comparing the two promotions!

Not trolling - lots of my Rangers mates love Holloway. I've just never got him. Maybe biased by watching too much of his midfield performances.

I've been going home and away since the 80s and I don't agree that period was a halycon one. We were competitive (for once) but it was League One.

As I say, though, I know I am an outlier with Holloway.

Wasn't necessarily taking about the football I just can't remember another time where the fans and club had this all in this together mentality.

Obviously within a couple of years Paladini had ripped the soul out of the club and we haven't really been the same since
Ollie on Open All Rs on 10:12 - Apr 6 with 1857 viewsRs_Holy

Ollie on Open All Rs on 09:44 - Apr 6 by Rangersw12

Agree 100%... the 3 seasons in League 1 were the most fun I've had supporting Rangers.
The squad he built from nothing was an amazing achievement.
Ollie on Open All Rs on 12:59 - Apr 6 with 1666 viewsNov77

I can’t listen to it either, never really fell for his Barry Fry spiel.
Think he was an ok player who did a job, respect him as a father for the way he brought up his kids but really couldn’t stand him as a manager.

When I hear him giving Ainsworth his seal of approval, I thought that’s it we’re down then, the sorcerer’s apprentice, his protege, or as Rodney might say, “why don’t you just call him Damian?”

So many similarities to 2001 when Ollie took us down with 1 win from his first 13 games.
GA has 13 games to keep us up and so far we’ve won one. Difference is Holloway probably only had a 50/50 chance of keeping us up, whereas I think we had a ten point gap when GA took over.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2023 13:26]

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Login to get fewer ads

Ollie on Open All Rs on 13:24 - Apr 6 with 1600 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Never thought I’d see the day we turned on Holloway!
Ollie on Open All Rs on 13:33 - Apr 6 with 1571 viewsslmrstid

If Ian Holloway is going to be criticised for getting a team promoted with one of the bigger budgets in the year (remember in 2003-04 Sheffield Wednesday were everyone's favourites to romp home given the size of club/budget, and they finished 16th, just 3 points above the bottom 4), we might as well all start criticising Neil Warnock for getting us promoted in 2010/11 with one of the biggest budgets too - £29.7m and second highest in the Championship, by this link... http://www.thescratchingshed.com/2012/04/championship-clubs-financial-results-20

Whilst I found his latest book a bit odd and rambly, and he may well have become a bit of a caricature of himself, Ian Holloway as QPR manager was one of the best bits about QPR in the early to mid-noughties, and he very much deserves legend status of this club.
Ollie on Open All Rs on 13:53 - Apr 6 with 1496 viewsrbee

In my opinion you are doing Ollie a disservice here as both a player and a QPR manager. By his own admission he was not a spectacular footballer but he always gave 100% and played with aggression, winning the ball back and usually playing a simple pass. Exactly the sort of player we are crying out for now.

One good season as a manager?? My first game at Loftus Road was in 1969 and I have seen us come second in the First Division, get to an FA Cup Final, play in Europe and finish as top London club and yet my favourite period of supporting our club was Ollie's first tenure as our manager. The club, management, players and fans united as one.

Ollie made progress each season and assembled a team of captains who would give 100%. I remember clearly after we got promoted playing Sheffield United at home who were the hot favourites to win promotion to The Premier League but we beat them. After the game the news came out about Paladini and gungate and both Ollie and our season were done. That team could have achieved much more.

As for the podcast, well with age Ollie has become Ollie XXL and he could have said all he wanted to say in 15 minutes not an hour an 15 minutes. Nevertheless, very much a club legend.
Ollie on Open All Rs on 14:00 - Apr 6 with 1466 viewsNov77

Ollie on Open All Rs on 13:33 - Apr 6 by slmrstid

If Ian Holloway is going to be criticised for getting a team promoted with one of the bigger budgets in the year (remember in 2003-04 Sheffield Wednesday were everyone's favourites to romp home given the size of club/budget, and they finished 16th, just 3 points above the bottom 4), we might as well all start criticising Neil Warnock for getting us promoted in 2010/11 with one of the biggest budgets too - £29.7m and second highest in the Championship, by this link... http://www.thescratchingshed.com/2012/04/championship-clubs-financial-results-20

Whilst I found his latest book a bit odd and rambly, and he may well have become a bit of a caricature of himself, Ian Holloway as QPR manager was one of the best bits about QPR in the early to mid-noughties, and he very much deserves legend status of this club.

Warnock didn’t relegate us first, although we don’t do cups under any manager anymore, the worst by far was Vauxhall motors, and what about all those runs of six consecutive defeats and telling fans not to come back. You can’t leave out all the bad bits then call him a legend.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ollie on Open All Rs on 14:03 - Apr 6 with 1462 viewsNorthernr

His first spell, for me, absolutely beyond reproach.

I think time dulls the memory a little bit, and you look at it and think "well we weren't in the bottom three when he took over and he had time to save us", but that team was rotten. I remember the fans down the front trying to get at the players because they were 3-0 down at half time at Barnsley, Gerry copping it in the gob from the side stand 5-0 down at Preston, 5-0 at Wimbledon, 5-2 at Sheff Wed. We always talk about the best two players getting injured, Langley and Carlisle, but let's be honest here if Richard Langley and Clarke Carlisle are your best players at Championship level you've got a big problem. The whole place was just absolutely on its ars, worst team we've seen until this point, and in admin so no money to spend. To turn that into that play-off semi-final against Oldham inside two years was insane.
Ollie on Open All Rs on 14:13 - Apr 6 with 1445 viewsTK1

It was a bit like a a long-thread on this message board, but all the posts were coming from one man. I enjoyed it. He's angry, he's bitter about QPR's upper management (about which I'd like to hear more gory detail), and he definitely needs therapy, but he cares about the club clearly and as he has actually done what he's talking about it carries a bit more weight than a thread on the message board.

There were loads of nuggets of insight in there. Some are surprisingly sniffy about Ian Holloway on this thread - not a very good player, lucky to have been in that great early 90s team, one good season as our manager (when we get promoted!) - but his record of nearly 1000 games as a manager, the fact that he's got three different clubs promoted (including Blackpool to the Premier League), and was a mainstay as a player in our second best team despite being nearly 30 when he joined and never perviously having played at the top level, means that what he says about managing, about players, about the set-up carries weight. I like Finney but he's spent a decade on that pod wanging on forever at weird tangents. Ian Holloway is allowed to talk over him for one week.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2023 14:15]
Ollie on Open All Rs on 14:16 - Apr 6 with 1427 viewsNov77

Ollie on Open All Rs on 13:53 - Apr 6 by rbee

In my opinion you are doing Ollie a disservice here as both a player and a QPR manager. By his own admission he was not a spectacular footballer but he always gave 100% and played with aggression, winning the ball back and usually playing a simple pass. Exactly the sort of player we are crying out for now.

One good season as a manager?? My first game at Loftus Road was in 1969 and I have seen us come second in the First Division, get to an FA Cup Final, play in Europe and finish as top London club and yet my favourite period of supporting our club was Ollie's first tenure as our manager. The club, management, players and fans united as one.

Ollie made progress each season and assembled a team of captains who would give 100%. I remember clearly after we got promoted playing Sheffield United at home who were the hot favourites to win promotion to The Premier League but we beat them. After the game the news came out about Paladini and gungate and both Ollie and our season were done. That team could have achieved much more.

As for the podcast, well with age Ollie has become Ollie XXL and he could have said all he wanted to say in 15 minutes not an hour an 15 minutes. Nevertheless, very much a club legend.

Holloway the player, I remember Dave Thomas in a kick up the r’s saying “if Ian Holloway runs around in any more circles he may very well disappear up his own arse”!

I didn’t mind him as a player, he was limited but he gave you everything.

Ollie on Open All Rs on 14:17 - Apr 6 with 1425 viewsNorthernr

Ollie on Open All Rs on 14:13 - Apr 6 by TK1

It was a bit like a a long-thread on this message board, but all the posts were coming from one man. I enjoyed it. He's angry, he's bitter about QPR's upper management (about which I'd like to hear more gory detail), and he definitely needs therapy, but he cares about the club clearly and as he has actually done what he's talking about it carries a bit more weight than a thread on the message board.

There were loads of nuggets of insight in there. Some are surprisingly sniffy about Ian Holloway on this thread - not a very good player, lucky to have been in that great early 90s team, one good season as our manager (when we get promoted!) - but his record of nearly 1000 games as a manager, the fact that he's got three different clubs promoted (including Blackpool to the Premier League), and was a mainstay as a player in our second best team despite being nearly 30 when he joined and never perviously having played at the top level, means that what he says about managing, about players, about the set-up carries weight. I like Finney but he's spent a decade on that pod wanging on forever at weird tangents. Ian Holloway is allowed to talk over him for one week.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2023 14:15]

I mean, sadly, he's a bit mental now isn't he? The podcast was absolutely wild. Poor Charlie!

It actually felt like one of those comedy characters the Barry from Watford guy comes up with and rings local radio phone ins with.
Ollie on Open All Rs on 14:25 - Apr 6 with 1397 viewsTK1

Ollie on Open All Rs on 14:17 - Apr 6 by Northernr

I mean, sadly, he's a bit mental now isn't he? The podcast was absolutely wild. Poor Charlie!

It actually felt like one of those comedy characters the Barry from Watford guy comes up with and rings local radio phone ins with.

Not a very kind way to describe Finney.
Ollie on Open All Rs on 14:41 - Apr 6 with 1332 viewsjoe90

Give the guy a break!

He was brought on to give HIS opinion and that's what we got. We all know what he's like, it's not for everyone, but we should cut him some slack.
Ollie on Open All Rs on 14:49 - Apr 6 with 1291 viewshubble

Ollie on Open All Rs on 16:10 - Apr 5 by robith

LOve Ollie.

Can't listen to him. It's like a James Joyce novel being read aloud

That's very unfair on James Joyce; the RTE production of Ulysses is brilliant!

I know I'm going off at a tangent like Olly at his best, but if you've ever struggled to read Ulysses, this is your way in:

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2022/0610/1146705-listen-ulysses-james-joyce-podcast/

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Ollie on Open All Rs on 14:52 - Apr 6 with 1284 viewsslmrstid

Ollie on Open All Rs on 14:00 - Apr 6 by Nov77

Warnock didn’t relegate us first, although we don’t do cups under any manager anymore, the worst by far was Vauxhall motors, and what about all those runs of six consecutive defeats and telling fans not to come back. You can’t leave out all the bad bits then call him a legend.

I'm going to preface the below by saying I'm not being critical of Neil Warnock as QPR manager - he gave me the greatest season ever as a QPR fan with that title winning side, and in my eyes he's as much of a QPR legend as Holloway is.

But for some reason he is beyond reproach, whilst poor old Ollie here is getting a kicking from some quarters.

So lets just point out the following:-

- The name alone is embarrassing for sure, and it was the lowest of lows for QPR, but at the time Vauxhall Motors were 3 leagues below QPR in the Northern Premier (this was before the Conference North/South were created). We did still finish that year in a play-off final which would have been everyone's preference in August. In 2010/11 we lost in the League Cup at home to Port Vale, who were 2 leagues below us in League Two. So comparatively, Port Vale were only a league higher than Vauxhall Motors, and beat us outright rather than on penalties.

- After winning his first 2 games, QPR under Warnock went winless for the next 7.

- Warnock's final 8 league games as QPR manager all went without victory. Plus he lost 6-0 at Fulham.

- So we had long winless spells under Warnock, as we did Holloway.

Just for the record - HUGE fan of Warnock as past QPR manager, just as much as I am of Ian Holloway. But if you're going to criticise Holloway for bad cup defeats, winless spells and having a big budget, but not willing to criticise Warnock for it, then that's just being hypocritical in my view.

And ultimately in my view, neither of them deserve criticism for their spells as manager.

Holloway MkI did better than Holloway MkII, but other than Mark Warburton has anyone else done better than Holloway MKII? Ramsey, JFH, McLaren, Beale, Critchley etc...
Ollie on Open All Rs on 14:58 - Apr 6 with 1257 viewsBrianMcCarthy

What's next?

Sunshine? is it really great? I mean, it generates warmth and stops us bumping into shít, but really...is it any good?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ollie on Open All Rs (n/t) on 15:35 - Apr 6 with 1152 viewsconnell10

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Ollie on Open All Rs on 15:35 - Apr 6 with 1151 viewsGaryBannister86

Ollie on Open All Rs on 14:00 - Apr 6 by Nov77

I think it's fascinating how opinions differ, and not just on Holloway. Totally respect everyone's views on his management. I never rated it, but maybe I am being harsh about his first spell on reading what people have to say.

I am not for moving on him as a footballer though. He was a rubbish player. Just what we need now? No way. In a side as bad as ours, he would be even worse.

Find it very interesting that you've been going since 69 yet prefer the Holloway time. Surely the Venables and Gerry years were the best and most entertaining, or Warnock. I don't get this fun in League One business. I mean, it was League One. I think the rose-tinted glasses are on the other way about how everyone was at one, it was one big love-in, players dying for the shirt.

I mean Bannister and Byrne and sticking 6 past Chelsea or Bircham kicking someone from Rushden and Diamonds up in the air? Don't get it, I know what I enjoyed more.

Again, I know it's not the common opinion, but I cringe when I see people like Bircham and Padula and average lower league footballers being called "legends" with little mention of a Bannister, Waddock, El Tel.......

But, I do get that we were at a low ebb and a winning QPR side is all I / we want to see whatever the level is. I just don't get the comparison of how good the times were.

In other words, I'm not saying the League One promotion wasn't fun, of course it was. I just don't think it was as good as other times.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2023 15:39]
Ollie on Open All Rs on 15:54 - Apr 6 with 1058 viewsslmrstid

Ollie on Open All Rs on 15:35 - Apr 6 by GaryBannister86

I think it's fascinating how opinions differ, and not just on Holloway. Totally respect everyone's views on his management. I never rated it, but maybe I am being harsh about his first spell on reading what people have to say.

I am not for moving on him as a footballer though. He was a rubbish player. Just what we need now? No way. In a side as bad as ours, he would be even worse.

Find it very interesting that you've been going since 69 yet prefer the Holloway time. Surely the Venables and Gerry years were the best and most entertaining, or Warnock. I don't get this fun in League One business. I mean, it was League One. I think the rose-tinted glasses are on the other way about how everyone was at one, it was one big love-in, players dying for the shirt.

I mean Bannister and Byrne and sticking 6 past Chelsea or Bircham kicking someone from Rushden and Diamonds up in the air? Don't get it, I know what I enjoyed more.

Again, I know it's not the common opinion, but I cringe when I see people like Bircham and Padula and average lower league footballers being called "legends" with little mention of a Bannister, Waddock, El Tel.......

But, I do get that we were at a low ebb and a winning QPR side is all I / we want to see whatever the level is. I just don't get the comparison of how good the times were.

In other words, I'm not saying the League One promotion wasn't fun, of course it was. I just don't think it was as good as other times.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2023 15:39]

I think those are fair points GB.

I went to my first QPR game in 1996 at 6 years old so Holloway's first spell were the first "good times" I knew as those first 5 years or so were all pretty bleak! And I can never comment on Holloway the player because I never saw him play - I'm too young (sorry).

So yeah, if I'd seen those great times in the late 80s/early 90s I'd probably prefer those times to Holloway's team too (although they still deserve to be remembered fondly in my view, no matter what your age!)

I would rank Warnock's 10-11 as my favourite team ahead of Holloway's QPR 03-04. But the 03-04 definitely second. The 2014 Wembley winning team was ability wise good and obviously better than 03-04 but...not a fondly remembered team in comparison for all sorts of reasons we all know!
Ollie on Open All Rs on 15:59 - Apr 6 with 1034 viewsGaryBannister86

Ollie on Open All Rs on 15:54 - Apr 6 by slmrstid

I think those are fair points GB.

I went to my first QPR game in 1996 at 6 years old so Holloway's first spell were the first "good times" I knew as those first 5 years or so were all pretty bleak! And I can never comment on Holloway the player because I never saw him play - I'm too young (sorry).

So yeah, if I'd seen those great times in the late 80s/early 90s I'd probably prefer those times to Holloway's team too (although they still deserve to be remembered fondly in my view, no matter what your age!)

I would rank Warnock's 10-11 as my favourite team ahead of Holloway's QPR 03-04. But the 03-04 definitely second. The 2014 Wembley winning team was ability wise good and obviously better than 03-04 but...not a fondly remembered team in comparison for all sorts of reasons we all know!

Thanks - and of course I think age has something to do with it.

I was going just as nuts as anyone else on that away terrace at Reading when Spencer scored or at Griffin Park when Bircham scored or at Hillsboro, absolutely fond memories. As was the 4-4 at Port Vale or the 3-3 at Stockport, I'm absolutely not saying they weren't good times.

But when you've seen Wegs dribble round the Leeds team, big Jan keep out a Hughes volley, Les hanging in the air for 2 hours, or a win at Highbury.....those are even fonder memories :-)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024