Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes Winter thread 22:31 - Nov 6 with 46327 viewsnewgolddream

Australia all-rounder Shane Watson faces a battle to be fit for the first Ashes Test in Brisbane on 21 November.

The 32-year-old sustained a hamstring injury while bowling in Australia's final one-day international against India last Saturday.
Ashes Winter thread on 08:09 - Dec 22 with 1534 viewsN12Hoop

Ashes Winter thread on 04:02 - Dec 22 by ozexile

Ridiculous to quit mid tour show some balls.

Imagine in a football or cricket World Cup if players started retiring mid event. They'd get slaughtered and rightly so. If we were 3-0 up he wouldn't be retiring. And that's why cricket is utterly irrelevant, it seems to exist in a different world to every other sport.

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

Ashes Winter thread on 09:37 - Dec 22 with 1504 viewsElHoop

I think that he's made the right call. If you can't do the job like you think it should be done then move over and let someone else have a go. He was one of our greatest ever bowlers, for sure, so he deserves a bit of respect.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013-14/content/story/702963.html
Ashes Winter thread on 09:38 - Dec 22 with 1503 viewsCHUBBS

What a spineless shithouse.
If that w@nker expects to be remembered as an England legend he can fcukin do one.
Can't believe he's deserted a sinking ship in this manner.
C@NT
Ashes Winter thread on 10:30 - Dec 22 with 1487 viewsElHoop

Ashes Winter thread on 09:38 - Dec 22 by CHUBBS

What a spineless shithouse.
If that w@nker expects to be remembered as an England legend he can fcukin do one.
Can't believe he's deserted a sinking ship in this manner.
C@NT

What fecking right have you got to say that?

How do you know all of the facts? Maybe he was told he wouldn't be playing. Maybe he isn't fit either. Maybe he should have retired 6 months ago .
Ashes Winter thread on 11:29 - Dec 22 with 1456 viewsCHUBBS

Ashes Winter thread on 10:30 - Dec 22 by ElHoop

What fecking right have you got to say that?

How do you know all of the facts? Maybe he was told he wouldn't be playing. Maybe he isn't fit either. Maybe he should have retired 6 months ago .

We may have lost the Ashes but we can still gain some pride from the series.
If he's been dropped then he could have waited until the end of the tour before announcing his retirement.
I stand by what i said,gutless.
Ashes Winter thread on 11:32 - Dec 22 with 1454 viewsN12Hoop

Ashes Winter thread on 11:29 - Dec 22 by CHUBBS

If he's been dropped then he could have waited until the end of the tour before announcing his retirement.

Spot on. Retiring mid-tournament is a disgrace. No matter what the issues at least leave it until the tour is over.
You wouldn't want to be in the trenches with him!

Ashes Winter thread on 11:39 - Dec 22 with 1450 viewsElHoop

Ashes Winter thread on 11:32 - Dec 22 by N12Hoop

Spot on. Retiring mid-tournament is a disgrace. No matter what the issues at least leave it until the tour is over.
You wouldn't want to be in the trenches with him!

You'd want to be in the trenches playing cricket?
Ashes Winter thread on 11:43 - Dec 22 with 1446 viewsElHoop

Ashes Winter thread on 11:29 - Dec 22 by CHUBBS

I think that Swann has been in three Ashes winning sides, which, given the nature of the beast, would indicate that he's a bit less gutless than some.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2013 12:00]
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes Winter thread on 11:48 - Dec 22 with 1439 viewsMedwayR

I don't really have a problem with him or his decision, I just accept & respect his decision and move on, the squad needs fresh blood anyway.

I agree with his reasoning that if his body isn't up to it then it would be selfish of him to carry on, but he also admitted that he half-expected this to be his last tour. If that was his frame of mind before the tour started wasn't it selfish to go on the tour in the first place.

I expect Pietersen & Prior to go next...

Poll: Who’s better?

Ashes Winter thread on 11:54 - Dec 22 with 1434 viewspastieR

You lot are a bunch of jokers...
Calling him gutless, ffs
As Vaughan has put it, he has been one of the best players in english cricket over the last 20 years and enabled us to have a 4 man attack.
He's retiring now to give someone else a go, and get the team in shape for future test matches. Now the ashes is lost.
What is the precise point in playing two more tests, it seems a very unselfish thing to do. He could have stuck around and tried to end on a high, but is instead putting the team first
Ashes Winter thread on 12:02 - Dec 22 with 1412 viewsnewgolddream

These negative comments are pathetic. Swanny's been a great player for England for years - only he can know when to retire. No-one should judge him harshly for deciding to go now.
Ashes Winter thread on 12:30 - Dec 22 with 1398 viewsBushman

Ashes Winter thread on 08:09 - Dec 22 by N12Hoop

Imagine in a football or cricket World Cup if players started retiring mid event. They'd get slaughtered and rightly so. If we were 3-0 up he wouldn't be retiring. And that's why cricket is utterly irrelevant, it seems to exist in a different world to every other sport.

Roy Keane the ego

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

Ashes Winter thread on 12:49 - Dec 22 with 1386 viewsN12Hoop

Ashes Winter thread on 12:30 - Dec 22 by Bushman

Roy Keane the ego

Good example. I think he was actually sent home rather than quit, but his issue was that even though Eire were just at the World Cup to make up the numbers they should at least give themselves the best preparation and not treat it as a party. For this he was slaughtered by the press, but actually he had a good point.

Swann could have waited until after the series was over. He could have made his decision but kept it between him and the manager. What message does it send to those who are left? They've got 2 games left to play yet people are now bailing out. But him we must fete as a hero because he's been around a while? Bollox to that!

Anyway, clearly different standards apply to cricket , although any sport where you play for 5 days and don't get a result because maybe you called heads instead of tails or the sun went behind the clouds for a few minutes isn't worthy of the name 'sport'.

Ashes Winter thread on 12:59 - Dec 22 with 1379 viewspastieR

Ashes Winter thread on 12:49 - Dec 22 by N12Hoop

Good example. I think he was actually sent home rather than quit, but his issue was that even though Eire were just at the World Cup to make up the numbers they should at least give themselves the best preparation and not treat it as a party. For this he was slaughtered by the press, but actually he had a good point.

Swann could have waited until after the series was over. He could have made his decision but kept it between him and the manager. What message does it send to those who are left? They've got 2 games left to play yet people are now bailing out. But him we must fete as a hero because he's been around a while? Bollox to that!

Anyway, clearly different standards apply to cricket , although any sport where you play for 5 days and don't get a result because maybe you called heads instead of tails or the sun went behind the clouds for a few minutes isn't worthy of the name 'sport'.

rubbish... there is no comparison.
if anything it is the equivalent of retiring after getting knocked out of the semis and not playing in the 3rd place play off.
monty has been bowling better anyway, so seems a moot point anyway.
Ashes Winter thread on 13:06 - Dec 22 with 1375 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes Winter thread on 11:54 - Dec 22 by pastieR

You lot are a bunch of jokers...
Calling him gutless, ffs
As Vaughan has put it, he has been one of the best players in english cricket over the last 20 years and enabled us to have a 4 man attack.
He's retiring now to give someone else a go, and get the team in shape for future test matches. Now the ashes is lost.
What is the precise point in playing two more tests, it seems a very unselfish thing to do. He could have stuck around and tried to end on a high, but is instead putting the team first

Completely agree with this. He has been an amazing, possibly one of the best, servants to English and world cricket. He feels he''s lost the ability, the Ashes are lost, Monty and other players want to play, he's done the right thing.

He'll be a superb pundit as well on TMS if he should choose that route...very articulate and droll.

Thank you for so many years of so many vital test wickets Swanny.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes Winter thread on 11:32 - Dec 23 with 1311 viewsnewgolddream

England have called Durham leg-spinner Scott Borthwick and Kent off-spinner James Tredwell into their Ashes squad following Graeme Swann's retirement.
Ashes Winter thread on 23:16 - Dec 25 with 1242 viewsNov77

Least surprising news of Xmas so far............Australia win the toss...... Again.

This time they decide to bowl, must be feeling sorry for england.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes Winter thread on 23:43 - Dec 26 with 1159 viewsted_hendrix

If you think QPR are shit at the moment don't go watching England dear me.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes Winter thread on 07:11 - Dec 27 with 1146 viewsqprmick

Ashes Winter thread on 23:43 - Dec 26 by ted_hendrix

If you think QPR are shit at the moment don't go watching England dear me.

Much better today, bit of smugness been squashed. Pity England didn't back Broad up in the previous 3. He is a giant amongst men.

Qprmick

Ashes Winter thread on 11:29 - Dec 27 with 1114 viewsTheBlob

What might have happened if England had gone Down Under earlier and acclimatised?In the Good Old Days didn't they used to go months in advance and play games against provincial sides,Clare Balding XI and stuff?Now they're just off the plane and straight into 45 degrees of fly paper sheeit.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Ashes Winter thread on 11:30 - Dec 27 with 1113 viewsnewgolddream

Looks England have taken some of the criticism to heart that 50% of their dismissals have been of their own making, and in some ways they have gone too much the other way, too defensive, too careful, afraid to play a shot against a team playing much better cricket than them.
Ashes Winter thread on 13:10 - Dec 27 with 1092 viewsdaveB

Baffled as to why Swann is a disgrace for calling it a day. Seems sensible to go now rather than play two extra games for the sake of it, let someone else have a go if he is calling it a day and let the rebuilding begin.
Ashes Winter thread on 21:41 - Dec 27 with 1068 viewsElHoop

We are beginning to play like England as against playing like Australia.
Ashes Winter thread on 09:07 - Dec 28 with 1031 viewsHooparoo

England lost their last five wickets for 5 runs. I love it!

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes Winter thread on 09:22 - Dec 28 with 1431 viewsted_hendrix

I was watching the start of play yesterday, I was watching James Anderson trying to bowl Nathan Lyon's head off and I'm thinking why don't you try aiming for his stumps you thick cnt?
Nathan Lyons went on to make an unbeaten and massive 18 runs, that's more runs than Bell, Bresnan, Broad, Anderson and Panesar made put together in fact its 17 more runs than those dick heads managed.
At the start of the England innings the commentators were talking about England building a huge lead, I thought 'oh no-don't say that and went to bed.
Nailed on 5-0 embarrassing defeat.
Cringe worthy.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024