Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Comparisons Between 2012 & 2024 11:58 - Aug 27 with 874 viewsSaintNick

There are a few comparisons to be drawn between the start of our season back in the Premier League in 2012 and now.

Firstly we started the 2012/13 season with very few players experienced in the Premier League, Kelvin Davis (33 for bottom of the table Sunderland in 2005/06)Steven Davis (113 games for Villa & Fulham), Jack Cork( 11 games for Burnley) Jason Puncheon who in two loan spells at Blackpool & QPR had played 13 games couldnt get in either side) that was literally it .

The bulk of the squad was completely untried at this level, we had Rickie Lambert who many thought was going to be too slow for the Premier League, Adam Lallana, his pace was also questioned, Morgan Schneiderlin & that was about it the squad who you thought might make it.

Then we had the likes of Jos Hooiveld, Dean Hammond, Danny Fox, Danny Butterfield, Dan Harding, Guly, Richard Chaplow, Steve De Ridder & Fraser Richardson all of whom had been regulars in the Championship, but we all knew were not good enough in the Premier League I would have included Billy Sharp, but I thought he would have scored goals.

The other new signings had no experience, Mayuka, Yoshida, Jay Rodrigues, Gaston Ramirez, Nathaniel Clyne.

To be blunt that squad is even less experienced at the top level than this one, at least we have, Adam Armstrong, Alex McCarthy, Jan Bednarek, Kyle Walker Peters, Charly Alcaraz, Sam Edozie, Will Smallbone & Jack Stephens.

Add to that in the new signings Charlie Taylor, Cameron Archer, Adam Lallana, Ben Brereton Diaz, Big Les, Flynn Downes & we have added Premier League experience to the squad.

So I think this squad at the same stage of the season as the one 12 years ago, has a better chance of staying up, back then we didn't expect certain players to step up to the plate, so what will be the big question is whether we have some players who truly have it in them to be Premier League players.

We were awful in the opening games back then, 14 goals shipped in the first 4 games, yes we were also scoring, but if we are to stay up we build from the back, so I think we may have the foundations to build on, crucial will be the next few days, get in this keeper from Feyenoord and a good striker and I think we will be ok

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Comparisons Between 2012 & 2024 on 12:08 - Aug 27 with 832 viewsPatfromPoole

The main problem I see is that there are less weaker teams around now than there were then.

The 3 teams who went down; QPR, Reading and Wigan. Yes, Wigan did somehow win the FA Cup, but they weren't in a different League to us financially in the way that the established Prem teams are now (say the likes of Fulham and Brentford).

The PSR rules didn't exist in those days, and I think they are a big barrier to us this time round, particularly given our losses two seasons ago.

If Solak has deep pockets, we are better off spending big now, stay up, and build a strong enough side to be able to take the points deductions which would then arise next season.

This is essentially what Forest have done.

Even Ipswich are looking stronger than us now. And Leicester.
[Post edited 27 Aug 12:09]

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Comparisons Between 2012 & 2024 on 12:10 - Aug 27 with 810 viewssaints__fan__73

We are far worse.

Only the Chelsea lad looks a PL level signing. Even THB has been poor so far.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Comparisons Between 2012 & 2024 on 12:44 - Aug 27 with 748 viewsSaintNick

Comparisons Between 2012 & 2024 on 12:10 - Aug 27 by saints__fan__73

We are far worse.

The Chelsea lad hasnt kicked a ball for us yet, so what leads you to believe that he is a PL quality signing from what you have seen so far, was it the way he swaggered into the ground with his headphones on and ignored eye contact with young fans, or perhaps the way he slouched on the bench indifferently, or was it when he had a little run along the touchline, did he bang his hand on our badge, perhaps even kiss it finishing with a brief round of applause to the Itchen/Chapel corner.

Comparisons Between 2012 & 2024 on 13:19 - Aug 27 with 704 viewsfranniesTache

Comparisons Between 2012 & 2024 on 12:10 - Aug 27 by saints__fan__73

We are far worse.

Downes and Dibling have both looked comfortably premier league level.

Dibling especially is really exciting, i genuinely think he's the best talent to come out of the academy in a generation
Comparisons Between 2012 & 2024 on 14:31 - Aug 27 with 582 viewssaints__fan__73

Comparisons Between 2012 & 2024 on 12:44 - Aug 27 by SaintNick

The Chelsea lad hasnt kicked a ball for us yet, so what leads you to believe that he is a PL quality signing from what you have seen so far, was it the way he swaggered into the ground with his headphones on and ignored eye contact with young fans, or perhaps the way he slouched on the bench indifferently, or was it when he had a little run along the touchline, did he bang his hand on our badge, perhaps even kiss it finishing with a brief round of applause to the Itchen/Chapel corner.

Nick in surprise at PL player behaving like a PL player shocker.

I take it you don't like him then!

It was more how he was a player signed for Chelsea who played well for them in the games he was given last season and is rated by them so highly they didn't give us any option to sign.

That gave me more of a hope that he was a PL level player than the over the hill or lower league players we have signed this Summer for next season in the Champ.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Comparisons Between 2012 & 2024 on 14:34 - Aug 27 with 579 viewsSaintNick

Comparisons Between 2012 & 2024 on 14:31 - Aug 27 by saints__fan__73

Nick in surprise at PL player behaving like a PL player shocker.

I take it you don't like him then!

It was more how he was a player signed for Chelsea who played well for them in the games he was given last season and is rated by them so highly they didn't give us any option to sign.

That gave me more of a hope that he was a PL level player than the over the hill or lower league players we have signed this Summer for next season in the Champ.

Im quite hopeful for him, I didn't see what he looked like on Saturday, I don't even know if he did warm up or not.

Yes like you i think the signs are good, but then again we could say the same about a lot of players we have had on loan from Chelsea, Manchester City & Liverpool etc.

Comparisons Between 2012 & 2024 on 15:47 - Aug 27 with 518 viewsSouthSeaSaint

I reckon the Prem has improved quite a bit since we were relegated and is of a much higher standard than when we were last promoted.
All we can hope for is keeping hold of a fair few players who provide a decent core to help us compete next season back in the Championship
Comparisons Between 2012 & 2024 on 19:44 - Aug 27 with 426 viewscocklebreath

Comparisons Between 2012 & 2024 on 13:19 - Aug 27 by franniesTache

Downes and Dibling have both looked comfortably premier league level.

Dibling especially is really exciting, i genuinely think he's the best talent to come out of the academy in a generation

Agreed, we need to give him a new contract before we lose him and tell Russell he has to play

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Login to get fewer ads

Comparisons Between 2012 & 2024 on 20:59 - Aug 27 with 382 viewsButty101

We had some genuine class in 2012. There is literally no comparison. A bet idea is to compare the 22/23 vintage with this lot. There’s nothing in it.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024