Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hartlepool United 21:12 - Feb 22 with 13984 viewsHullDale

Keith Curle has been sacked.

Hartlepool United on 15:52 - Feb 23 with 3013 viewssxdale

Hartlepool United on 15:45 - Feb 23 by finberty

We have zero evidence Askey would ever have entertained us.

You just beat me to this. Askey had apparently turned us down once already, admittedly he was employed at the time but he obviously wasn't that impressed with what we could offer him. As January has shown Hartlepool have a bigger budget to spend than us and I would argue are these days a bigger club.
Hartlepool United on 16:06 - Feb 23 with 2911 viewsfitzochris

Hartlepool United on 15:52 - Feb 23 by sxdale

You just beat me to this. Askey had apparently turned us down once already, admittedly he was employed at the time but he obviously wasn't that impressed with what we could offer him. As January has shown Hartlepool have a bigger budget to spend than us and I would argue are these days a bigger club.

York offered him an improved contract to stop him leaving - and then sacked him two months later with the club just outside the play-offs. They are now just outside the relegation zone.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2023 16:06]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Hartlepool United on 16:11 - Feb 23 with 2872 viewsJames1980

Hartlepool United on 15:52 - Feb 23 by sxdale

Haven't Hartlepool been a non league club and gained promotion back to the EFL quite recently. So for them if they do go down it is not unknown territory. There does seem to be a few ostriches in our boardroom at present regarding our current situation.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Hartlepool United on 16:17 - Feb 23 with 2836 viewsIOMDale

We have damning evidence that we won’t be entertained under Bentley next season.

UTDNFS

Hartlepool United on 16:18 - Feb 23 with 2838 viewssxdale

Hartlepool United on 16:06 - Feb 23 by fitzochris

York offered him an improved contract to stop him leaving - and then sacked him two months later with the club just outside the play-offs. They are now just outside the relegation zone.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2023 16:06]

So had he actually accepted the managers job then?
I just find it a bit strange that there seems to be an assumption that we could get Askey when we are bottom of the league when he can bide his time and wait for other offers to come in.
Not saying I'm not frustrated/disappointed by the news but we're not exactly and attractive prospect for managers at the moment, are we?
Hartlepool United on 16:25 - Feb 23 with 2797 viewsfitzochris

Hartlepool United on 16:18 - Feb 23 by sxdale

So had he actually accepted the managers job then?
I just find it a bit strange that there seems to be an assumption that we could get Askey when we are bottom of the league when he can bide his time and wait for other offers to come in.
Not saying I'm not frustrated/disappointed by the news but we're not exactly and attractive prospect for managers at the moment, are we?

No one was actually offered the job other than Bentley, I believe, but talks were held with other parties. Askey got offered an improved contract by York when they got wind of it, so that took him out of the equation.

He's had plenty of time to weigh up his options. Perhaps Hartlepool have offered him a king's ransom? Perhaps there are other factors at play, who knows?

Fact is, we will never know because we still have an incumbent in place who has proven incapable of generating any upswing. Had we took decisive action after the Hartlepool defeat, we may have been in a position to speak to Askey when no other options were open to him.

Perhaps we cannot afford to sack Bentley. What I would say to counter that is can we afford not to?

Hartlepool United on 16:43 - Feb 23 with 2701 viewssxdale

Hartlepool United on 16:25 - Feb 23 by fitzochris

No one was actually offered the job other than Bentley, I believe, but talks were held with other parties. Askey got offered an improved contract by York when they got wind of it, so that took him out of the equation.

He's had plenty of time to weigh up his options. Perhaps Hartlepool have offered him a king's ransom? Perhaps there are other factors at play, who knows?

Fact is, we will never know because we still have an incumbent in place who has proven incapable of generating any upswing. Had we took decisive action after the Hartlepool defeat, we may have been in a position to speak to Askey when no other options were open to him.

Perhaps we cannot afford to sack Bentley. What I would say to counter that is can we afford not to?

Thanks for the clarification 👍 can't argue with any of the points in the rest of your post.
Hartlepool United on 17:18 - Feb 23 with 2548 viewsD_Alien

Arthur never did either

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Hartlepool United on 18:00 - Feb 23 with 2401 viewsShun

Hartlepool United on 16:25 - Feb 23 by fitzochris

Do you know if we were ever interested, or held talks with, David Artell?
Hartlepool United on 18:34 - Feb 23 with 2269 viewsRippDale

Hartlepool United on 18:00 - Feb 23 by Shun

Apparently offered the job to Pete Wild but Barrow''s budget was double ours and he turned us down
Hartlepool United on 18:39 - Feb 23 with 2248 viewsEllDale

That’s interesting because Wild was manager of Halifax until they lost in the playoffs and then went to Barrow in summer allegedly after being tapped up by them.
It would mean that the Board were talking to him whilst RS was Dale manager and before he went on his summer spending spree.
Hartlepool United on 18:39 - Feb 23 with 2244 viewsfitzochris

Hartlepool United on 18:00 - Feb 23 by Shun

I believe he was spoken to but would have wanted a backroom staff that was unsustainable for our level.

Hartlepool United on 18:55 - Feb 23 with 2172 viewsRippDale

Hartlepool United on 18:39 - Feb 23 by EllDale

That’s interesting because Wild was manager of Halifax until they lost in the playoffs and then went to Barrow in summer allegedly after being tapped up by them.
It would mean that the Board were talking to him whilst RS was Dale manager and before he went on his summer spending spree.

I think Wild was looking for a move while at Fax and applied for the Dale job before Stockdale was appointed
Hartlepool United on 19:43 - Feb 23 with 2004 viewsTVOS1907

Hartlepool United on 18:55 - Feb 23 by RippDale

I think Wild was looking for a move while at Fax and applied for the Dale job before Stockdale was appointed

But he didn't go to Barrow for another year, so what does their budget in summer 2022 (when he left Halifax to take over at Holker Street) have to do with him allegedly applying for the Dale job in July 2021?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Hartlepool United on 19:46 - Feb 23 with 1974 viewsRippDale

Hartlepool United on 19:43 - Feb 23 by TVOS1907

But he didn't go to Barrow for another year, so what does their budget in summer 2022 (when he left Halifax to take over at Holker Street) have to do with him allegedly applying for the Dale job in July 2021?

He applied for the job before Stockdale was appointed and then we approached him when Stockdale was sacked
Hartlepool United on 20:11 - Feb 23 with 1896 viewsTVOS1907

Hartlepool United on 19:46 - Feb 23 by RippDale

He applied for the job before Stockdale was appointed and then we approached him when Stockdale was sacked

When he was already in charge at Barrow?

That would have cost us.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Hartlepool United on 20:33 - Feb 23 with 1819 viewsDalenet

Hartlepool United on 11:09 - Feb 23 by D_Alien

This is true, and the way i described it was by posing the question:

"Which option (sack Bentley or not) puts the investments made by the BoDs most at risk"

[Post edited 23 Feb 2023 11:11]

The Board's first duty is to protect the business for shareholders and ensure it is a going concern. Pretty hard in football. As fans we want a decision that we can't compute because we don't know whether the club can do it or not. But as many of us are shareholders, either directly or via the Trust, we can't be happy that a club in freefall is sustainable or as valuable as it was. The BoD can't make decisions based on their financial investment alone and they will know that. Sadly Bottomley didn't seem to realise that.

I do wonder whether they are like rabbits in the headlights now. Two failed managerial appointments and will they be ready to make a third without help? I hope not. Maybe, just maybe, they are doing this differently and have sought help to find a good candidate and we will hear the news in due course. Is sacking somebody without a replacement even more dangerous right now?
[Post edited 23 Feb 2023 20:41]
Hartlepool United on 20:57 - Feb 23 with 1741 viewsD_Alien

Hartlepool United on 20:33 - Feb 23 by Dalenet

The Board's first duty is to protect the business for shareholders and ensure it is a going concern. Pretty hard in football. As fans we want a decision that we can't compute because we don't know whether the club can do it or not. But as many of us are shareholders, either directly or via the Trust, we can't be happy that a club in freefall is sustainable or as valuable as it was. The BoD can't make decisions based on their financial investment alone and they will know that. Sadly Bottomley didn't seem to realise that.

I do wonder whether they are like rabbits in the headlights now. Two failed managerial appointments and will they be ready to make a third without help? I hope not. Maybe, just maybe, they are doing this differently and have sought help to find a good candidate and we will hear the news in due course. Is sacking somebody without a replacement even more dangerous right now?
[Post edited 23 Feb 2023 20:41]

"The Board's first duty is to protect the business for shareholders and ensure it is a going concern."

That's my point. As stated in a previous post (you've replied to the follow-up) the amount of debt that might be incurred by changing manager now might be viewed as entering an unsustainable spiral, and as you rightly state, the future existence of the club has to take priority

As the major shareholders, those on the board will see their investment in the same light as most other shareholders, except multiplied many times over - the two interests (board & other shareholders) aren't divergent

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hartlepool United on 21:20 - Feb 23 with 1652 views442Dale

Whatever contract a manager is given, there should be enough effective forward planning to ensure that in the eventuality it ends early, it is affordable.

It’s the nature of football that this is a possible outcome at any club. Not a surprise that can’t have been forecast.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Hartlepool United on 23:42 - Feb 23 with 1419 viewsHopwoodblue

Hartlepool United on 21:20 - Feb 23 by 442Dale

Whatever contract a manager is given, there should be enough effective forward planning to ensure that in the eventuality it ends early, it is affordable.

It’s the nature of football that this is a possible outcome at any club. Not a surprise that can’t have been forecast.

If it’s true that his agent approached us about the job then surely we had the upper hand when it came to contract negotiations ?
We could and should have certainly made sure that an early termination was affordable.

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Hartlepool United on 00:19 - Feb 24 with 1392 viewsDorkingDale

Hartlepool United on 08:52 - Feb 23 by 442Dale

Has this been stated anywhere?

Unless there’s evidence in the public domain, nobody can be 100% about anything.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2023 8:53]

The Board have stated quite clearly that we're broke & in need of investment. I don't claim to know more than The Board....
Hartlepool United on 00:25 - Feb 24 with 1385 viewsDorkingDale

Hartlepool United on 11:55 - Feb 23 by 49thseason

In which case put him on gardening leave and let the senior players pick the team.
I guess they may be holding back until its a mathematical certainty we are relegated as there could be a clause in his contract to that effect, but we are playing for snookers at this point. From his perspective I think his management career is probably over in any case so he aint going to quit.

TBF, he has to consider his own future & that of his family....it's not as if the salary of a L2 manager provides a long term financial cushion.
Hartlepool United on 08:00 - Feb 24 with 1145 views442Dale

Hartlepool United on 00:19 - Feb 24 by DorkingDale

The Board have stated quite clearly that we're broke & in need of investment. I don't claim to know more than The Board....

The question was regarding why it can be said “100%” that any change in manager isn’t happening because of finances.

Have the board stated that anywhere?

As stated previously, presumably any agreement for ending a contract early would have been seen as affordable when it was put in place?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Hartlepool United on 08:47 - Feb 24 with 1069 viewsseasidedale

Hartlepool United on 08:00 - Feb 24 by 442Dale

The question was regarding why it can be said “100%” that any change in manager isn’t happening because of finances.

As stated previously, presumably any agreement for ending a contract early would have been seen as affordable when it was put in place?

Thing is if we did speak to Askey this time, a lot of manager don’t like to take a job if a manager is still in post
Hartlepool United on 08:49 - Feb 24 with 1067 viewsseasidedale

Hartlepool United on 08:00 - Feb 24 by 442Dale

It depends on Bentley’s contract, usually there is a settlement figure and it’s not nessarly the full term of the contract
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024