Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grimes 08:53 - Feb 22 with 3601 viewspencoedjack

Have we had a worse captain in the last 20 years?

Kyle Bartley captained us once beside that I cant think of anyone.

I don't care how many backwards & side wards passes he makes he's abysmal.
Grimes on 09:07 - Feb 22 with 2781 viewsdna

Joel L,earlier this season (Grimes was suspended) - just sums everything up, Martin is watching something different to us!!
Grimes on 10:15 - Feb 22 with 2698 viewsunion_jack

Grimes on 09:07 - Feb 22 by dna

Joel L,earlier this season (Grimes was suspended) - just sums everything up, Martin is watching something different to us!!

Indeed, I see no leadership or encouragement coming from Grimes. No clapping his hand and enthusing the players. He just plods on instilling absolutely nothing in his teammates.

Also, as a player he doesn’t do enough though I’m sure he’d be more capable under different guidance.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Grimes on 10:43 - Feb 22 with 2656 viewsBadlands

The only player leading, or trying to, was Cabango. I know I see him a bit with rose tinted specs but while Grimes was pedestrian and lacklustre our No 5 was animated, tried moving the ball forward with 1 / 2 touch passes and through balls and not afraid to ⚽️🐂 Manning, Grimes and Allen.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Grimes on 10:55 - Feb 22 with 2641 viewsDr_Winston

Grimes on 10:43 - Feb 22 by Badlands

The only player leading, or trying to, was Cabango. I know I see him a bit with rose tinted specs but while Grimes was pedestrian and lacklustre our No 5 was animated, tried moving the ball forward with 1 / 2 touch passes and through balls and not afraid to ⚽️🐂 Manning, Grimes and Allen.

In his first dozen or so games Allen was a breath of fresh air in midfield. Taking the ball on the turn instead of statically. Looking to move the ball forward instead of just for the sake of it.

Sadly he's been hanging around Grimes too much because he's picking up a lot of the same habits.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Grimes on 11:22 - Feb 22 with 2605 viewsBadlands

Grimes on 10:55 - Feb 22 by Dr_Winston

In his first dozen or so games Allen was a breath of fresh air in midfield. Taking the ball on the turn instead of statically. Looking to move the ball forward instead of just for the sake of it.

Sadly he's been hanging around Grimes too much because he's picking up a lot of the same habits.

I think Stoke realised he was injured (not up to speed) and we came in to give him a chance of getting game time before the WC.

Grimes on 11:55 - Feb 22 with 2564 viewsbuilthjack

Grimes on 10:55 - Feb 22 by Dr_Winston

Grimes has ruined Joey.
Joey goes forward, Grimes passes it back.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2023 21:47]

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Grimes on 13:15 - Feb 22 with 2493 viewsYossarian

Sadly, Joe is off the pace at the moment. I just hope it’s a temporary dip rather than a sign his legs have gone. He’s looked after himself so he should be ok for 2 more seasons?

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

Grimes on 19:13 - Feb 22 with 2328 viewsRichardO

Grimes on 13:15 - Feb 22 by Yossarian

Sadly, Joe is off the pace at the moment. I just hope it’s a temporary dip rather than a sign his legs have gone. He’s looked after himself so he should be ok for 2 more seasons?

It is the way that he has been asked to play that is sapping the legs of players Fulton looks as if he is treading water by the 75th minute in most games, you cannot expect player to run endlessly from one end of the pitch to another, midfielders will be more than happy to get beyond the forwards and cover in behind defenders but not have to keep coming back to to make pretty aimless five feet passes with the defenders, Stokes manager got it right he flood the middle of the park all pushing forward the only way we beat it was the longer ball into the space Cooper found himself in allowing us to get forward quicker.
Their press worked ours didn't we didn't commit enough men to a press further up the park, Grimes and Allen were playing alongside Woods.
Login to get fewer ads

Grimes on 20:23 - Feb 22 with 2272 viewsunion_jack

Grimes on 11:55 - Feb 22 by builthjack

Grimes has ruined Joey.
Joey goes forward, Grimes passes it back.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2023 21:47]

Rubbish. Grimes is never going to influence him. The only way he’d play like Grimes is if he’s playing to Martin’s prescribed pattern if play. Grimes just isn’t an influential character!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Grimes on 20:25 - Feb 22 with 2266 viewsonehunglow

Grimes on 20:23 - Feb 22 by union_jack

Rubbish. Grimes is never going to influence him. The only way he’d play like Grimes is if he’s playing to Martin’s prescribed pattern if play. Grimes just isn’t an influential character!

Joe is shot to pieces .
It’s over basically.
His return a sentimental one unless it’s a portent to his managing us one day

It’s sad to see him like this this

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Grimes on 21:57 - Feb 22 with 2183 viewsswancity

Grimes hasnt been at his usual excellent levels lately. That much is obvious. But to blame the substandard Joe Allen performances on Grimes just shows a complete lack of understanding. Allen is now a shadow of the player he was 4/5 years ago. His energy levels have dropped alarmingly and he seems to have real mobility issues with his one paced pedestrian movement. But yes let’s blame that on Grimes. 😂

I’d be surprised to see Allen playing much after this season.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Grimes on 22:05 - Feb 22 with 2172 viewspencoedjack

Grimes on 21:57 - Feb 22 by swancity

Grimes hasnt been at his usual excellent levels lately. That much is obvious. But to blame the substandard Joe Allen performances on Grimes just shows a complete lack of understanding. Allen is now a shadow of the player he was 4/5 years ago. His energy levels have dropped alarmingly and he seems to have real mobility issues with his one paced pedestrian movement. But yes let’s blame that on Grimes. 😂

I’d be surprised to see Allen playing much after this season.

Please expand on Grimes excellent levels I’d also be interested in how you rate him as an inspirational captain.

He’s Martins blue eyed boy as he keeps the ball & is excellent at passing backwards & sidewards.
Grimes on 22:33 - Feb 22 with 2155 viewsswancity

Grimes on 22:05 - Feb 22 by pencoedjack

Please expand on Grimes excellent levels I’d also be interested in how you rate him as an inspirational captain.

He’s Martins blue eyed boy as he keeps the ball & is excellent at passing backwards & sidewards.

At 27 he’s already played almost 350 league games and has been almost ever present for five seasons in a Swans shirt. He’s been consistent which explains why every manager in that time has selected him to start in every game. I’m unsure about whether he makes a good captain. In any event this isn’t cricket where a captains role is pivotal.

He also needs to get more goals. More shots as he can strike a ball superbly albeit hes mainly employed in deeper, holding roles.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Grimes on 00:11 - Feb 23 with 2100 viewsDr_Parnassus

Grimes on 10:15 - Feb 22 by union_jack

Indeed, I see no leadership or encouragement coming from Grimes. No clapping his hand and enthusing the players. He just plods on instilling absolutely nothing in his teammates.

Also, as a player he doesn’t do enough though I’m sure he’d be more capable under different guidance.

A captains role is far more than clapping his hands on the pitch.

Most of a captains work is never seen. Grimes leads by example in all areas of the game.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Grimes on 00:41 - Feb 23 with 2101 viewsSTID2017

Grimes on 22:33 - Feb 22 by swancity

At 27 he’s already played almost 350 league games and has been almost ever present for five seasons in a Swans shirt. He’s been consistent which explains why every manager in that time has selected him to start in every game. I’m unsure about whether he makes a good captain. In any event this isn’t cricket where a captains role is pivotal.

He also needs to get more goals. More shots as he can strike a ball superbly albeit hes mainly employed in deeper, holding roles.

Grimes should be encouraging players at every turn, as well as having a word when they are struggling or make silly mistakes.
He should also be the conduit between the referee and the team, arguing the team's case with the referee.
Not sure I have seen him get angry once in the many games I have seen him play for us.
He should be the one bawling out the players for making mistakes leading to giving away silly goals

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Grimes on 00:44 - Feb 23 with 2100 viewsSTID2017

Grimes on 00:11 - Feb 23 by Dr_Parnassus

A captains role is far more than clapping his hands on the pitch.

Most of a captains work is never seen. Grimes leads by example in all areas of the game.

Disagree.
Unless that example is pass back, sidewards and forward 6 feet, then rinse and repeat.

Grimes on 02:11 - Feb 23 with 2079 viewsDr_Parnassus

Grimes on 00:44 - Feb 23 by STID2017

Disagree.
Unless that example is pass back, sidewards and forward 6 feet, then rinse and repeat.

You often disagree with sense, it’s fine:

Grimes on 06:19 - Feb 23 with 2044 viewsSTID2017

Grimes on 02:11 - Feb 23 by Dr_Parnassus

You often disagree with sense, it’s fine:

Grimes is the most negative player we have.
He is also the quietest player we have.
Whatever your belief in his qualities as a player, surely you don't think he is the best man for the job ?

Grimes on 06:29 - Feb 23 with 2041 viewspencoedjack

Grimes on 06:19 - Feb 23 by STID2017

Whatever your belief in his qualities as a player, surely you don't think he is the best man for the job ?

He’s Martins blue eyed boy so the part of a captains role of being the go between players & management I’m sure he good at.

I can see them drinking their mushroom coffee having a nice chat.

Motivating those on the pitch I haven’t seen it once.
Grimes on 10:48 - Feb 23 with 1927 viewslifelong

Grimes is a very good player, he has the ability to find the killer pass to our front players, the problem is he is never forward enough to do so, very rarely does he appear in the opposition half, he is obviously under instructions to play this stupid possession football in our own half where it inevitably breaks down.
Not sure about the captaincy, who are we going to replace him with?
Grimes on 11:04 - Feb 23 with 1902 viewsDr_Parnassus

Grimes on 06:19 - Feb 23 by STID2017

Being a captain isn’t just about shouting and being loud. That’s what people think a captain does when the play Sunday League.

Lloris is a fantastic captain, he’s very reserved and calm on the pitch. Martin Odegaard is captaining Arsenal to quite possibly their greatest season since the Wenger glory days.

The days of a shouting and screaming captain belong with muddy pitches and footballs with laces on them.

There is not just one version of captaincy in the modern game.

Grimes on 11:16 - Feb 23 with 1902 viewsSTID2017

Grimes on 11:04 - Feb 23 by Dr_Parnassus

Being a captain isn’t just about shouting and being loud. That’s what people think a captain does when the play Sunday League.

Lloris is a fantastic captain, he’s very reserved and calm on the pitch. Martin Odegaard is captaining Arsenal to quite possibly their greatest season since the Wenger glory days.

The days of a shouting and screaming captain belong with muddy pitches and footballs with laces on them.

There is not just one version of captaincy in the modern game.

If the captain doesn't question the referee on issues, then it leads to other players dashing up to the referee and getting booked.
As you say, doesn't need to shout at the referee but certainly needs to send the other players away and challenge the ref sensibly.
Also needs to be to voice of encouragement on the pitch.
All captains do that, except Grimes

Grimes on 12:04 - Feb 23 with 1875 viewsDr_Parnassus

Grimes on 11:16 - Feb 23 by STID2017

If the captain doesn't question the referee on issues, then it leads to other players dashing up to the referee and getting booked.
As you say, doesn't need to shout at the referee but certainly needs to send the other players away and challenge the ref sensibly.
Also needs to be to voice of encouragement on the pitch.
All captains do that, except Grimes

Yes I’m sure professional footballers need to be encouraged on the pitch otherwise they fall to pieces.

Thankfully your poll is reflecting common sense again.

Grimes on 12:18 - Feb 23 with 1867 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

He’s deservedly captain because the way he conducts himself on and off the pitch is of an impeccable standard that every professional player should aspire to replicate.

There’s a reason he can play 90 minutes 3 times a week year in year out whilst other players are blowing out their arse after breaking into a jog.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Grimes on 12:37 - Feb 23 with 1857 viewsBadlands

Grimes on 12:18 - Feb 23 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

He’s deservedly captain because the way he conducts himself on and off the pitch is of an impeccable standard that every professional player should aspire to replicate.

There’s a reason he can play 90 minutes 3 times a week year in year out whilst other players are blowing out their arse after breaking into a jog.

This thread is about Matty Grimes not Roy of the Rovers!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024