Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea city of culture 2017 18:19 - Nov 19 with 4940 viewsLord_Bony

We will know tomorrow morning.

Apparently,we are favourites at the bookies.

It would be really good for the profile and prestige of the city and would immediately bring in millions.

Results at 9 tomorrow morning...fingers crossed

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=swansea%20city%20of%20culture&source=w

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 18:20 - Nov 19 with 2781 viewsDarran

Let's hope we get it Scouce will be gutted.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 18:40 - Nov 19 with 2756 viewsjandyt

As much as I hope we get this, I'm not holding my breath. When one of the selling points was the allotments at the Vetch, I think we may be struggling!

BTW, I'll be nothing short of ecstatic if I'm wrong!

Proudly plastic since 1978! www.pbase.com/andrew_thomas

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 18:45 - Nov 19 with 2743 viewsjack_lord

Swansea, Hull, Leicester and Dundee have been named as the four cities left in the running to become the UK’s next City Of Culture. They are competing to receive the title for 2017, following this year’s chosen city, Londonderry. Well I suppose we will get it eventually.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 18:54 - Nov 19 with 2732 viewspansypants

If its 10grand we've only spent then lump on at the bookies!

Poll: Sick of the media love in with Brazil?

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 19:01 - Nov 19 with 2717 viewsJackbustard

ID love to see us get this, but if the city council are involved its guaranteed to be an absoulute shambles of an event.

Sad to see how once a great city has been run into the ground by its council members.
Swansea city of culture 2017 on 20:37 - Nov 19 with 2680 viewsoldgrey

No doubt we'll win. That picture of a women sh!tting in the street will be the clincher.
Swansea city of culture 2017 on 20:47 - Nov 19 with 2670 viewsjack_lord

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 20:37 - Nov 19 by oldgrey

No doubt we'll win. That picture of a women sh!tting in the street will be the clincher.

some people would call that art.

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 21:07 - Nov 19 with 2655 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

According to the EP, if we win there'll be a £7 million renovation of the Albert Hall into a live arts venue aimed at live music and comedy.

Have to say, when reading that I didn't know where the Albert Hall was in Swansea, turns out it's the old Mecca Bingo eyesore. Would be a boost to a fairly decrepit part of the city centre, so for that alone I really hope we win.

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 21:11 - Nov 19 with 2650 viewsJackinthebox

I thought this was a joke, then saw the stiff competition comes from Hull.
Swansea city of culture 2017 on 22:10 - Nov 19 with 2624 viewsjack_lord

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 21:07 - Nov 19 by FearOfAJackPlanet

According to the EP, if we win there'll be a £7 million renovation of the Albert Hall into a live arts venue aimed at live music and comedy.

Have to say, when reading that I didn't know where the Albert Hall was in Swansea, turns out it's the old Mecca Bingo eyesore. Would be a boost to a fairly decrepit part of the city centre, so for that alone I really hope we win.

The Albert Hall, what a fine building. I saw Towering Inferno there circa 1975. If that building were to get a facelift it could provide synergy to the area that has already been improved with Swansea Met taking over other buildings.

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 22:18 - Nov 19 with 2610 viewsItchySphincter

We've got it.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 07:48 - Nov 20 with 2530 viewsnavyjack

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 21:11 - Nov 19 by Jackinthebox

I thought this was a joke, then saw the stiff competition comes from Hull.

Stiff competition indeed!...
Swansea city of culture 2017 on 07:57 - Nov 20 with 2503 views1jack

We are in Wales, we are west of Keeeerdif and we can't even buy a penalty, did we really expect to win?
Swansea city of culture 2017 on 07:59 - Nov 20 with 2501 viewsLord_Bony

Hull ffs.

Sorry guys we were robbed as usual.

It really would have been great for the city,won't get a chance now for a long,long time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25008856

Kantss

[Post edited 20 Nov 2013 8:01]

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 08:16 - Nov 20 with 2468 viewsUxbridge

Is there a monetary amount attached to this title? Is there anything stopping the council or the bid just arranging whatever they were going to do anyway?

I've been to all the cities. Hull needed it more than any of the rest, and for that reason I congratulate them.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 08:23 - Nov 20 with 2458 viewsDarran

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 22:18 - Nov 19 by ItchySphincter

We've got it.

You're good mind Wemb fair play.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 08:29 - Nov 20 with 2442 viewsLord_Bony

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 08:16 - Nov 20 by Uxbridge

Is there a monetary amount attached to this title? Is there anything stopping the council or the bid just arranging whatever they were going to do anyway?

I've been to all the cities. Hull needed it more than any of the rest, and for that reason I congratulate them.

Yes there would have been millions come in immediatley for various projects.

But more importantly it is the weight and prestige the title holds for any city for four years.it adds a lot to the name of the city and attracts a lot of attention,tourists and inward investment for business.

It will be about thirty odd years before we can get a shot again.

Similar happened ten years ago when Cardiff got pipped at the post by Liverpool for the 2008 title.

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 08:31 - Nov 20 with 2438 views3swan

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 08:16 - Nov 20 by Uxbridge

Same thoughts going through my mind.
Only caught a bit on BBC this morning but Londonderry have had £120m? investment since they were awarded it.
Didn't say if they got some hand out for the win.
Swansea still has the same to offer win or not, let's hope the council will be more determined to still go for what is on offer.
Swansea city of culture 2017 on 08:39 - Nov 20 with 2421 views3swan

No direct Government funding but expect to make £60m in 2017 alone.
Swansea city of culture 2017 on 08:39 - Nov 20 with 2421 viewsLord_Bony

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 08:31 - Nov 20 by 3swan

Same thoughts going through my mind.
Only caught a bit on BBC this morning but Londonderry have had £120m? investment since they were awarded it.
Didn't say if they got some hand out for the win.
Swansea still has the same to offer win or not, let's hope the council will be more determined to still go for what is on offer.

With cutbacks in council spending these days there is no way of local authorities spending a fraction of what we could have received. £120 million for Londonderry as you say,is a great boost for any city.

Our local council can t stump up a fraction of that for future projects.

The problem was we did nt really get behind the bid like hull did.most people were unaware of it.

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 08:42 - Nov 20 with 2415 views3swan

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 08:39 - Nov 20 by Lord_Bony

With cutbacks in council spending these days there is no way of local authorities spending a fraction of what we could have received. £120 million for Londonderry as you say,is a great boost for any city.

Our local council can t stump up a fraction of that for future projects.

The problem was we did nt really get behind the bid like hull did.most people were unaware of it.

Not expecting the authorities to spend the money, but the investment opportunities are still out there. How much of the £90m a year the Premier League brings to Swansea finds itself in the local economy.
Swansea city of culture 2017 on 08:44 - Nov 20 with 2414 viewsUxbridge

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 08:39 - Nov 20 by 3swan

No direct Government funding but expect to make £60m in 2017 alone.

So no direct funding then. The £120m seems to be revenue coming into the city rather than anything else, and from what I've read Londonderry had more than its fair share of issues in that regard.

Hopefully the momentum of the bid will be carried on. Sounds like there's little excuse for the council!

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 08:51 - Nov 20 with 2403 viewsblaenaugwentjack

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 21:07 - Nov 19 by FearOfAJackPlanet

I would love to see this place turned into a live music/arts venue. Something swansea badly needs for a city of its size, and to have no reasonable size live venue is shocking.
Swansea city of culture 2017 on 09:05 - Nov 20 with 2383 viewsLord_Bony

Well as you pointed out in the evening Post,we would have had a 7million pound renovation grant for this project had we won.

Can't see much being done to the Albert Hall any day soon unfortunately though would be a great venue if done right.

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 09:27 - Nov 20 with 2351 viewsUxbridge

Swansea city of culture 2017 on 09:05 - Nov 20 by Lord_Bony

Well as you pointed out in the evening Post,we would have had a 7million pound renovation grant for this project had we won.

Can't see much being done to the Albert Hall any day soon unfortunately though would be a great venue if done right.

Was that fully grant funded, and was that grant entirely dependent on this title? Not clear at all. Everything I've read shows that no funding is actually dependent on this title.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024