Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
James Thomas - season ticket for life 09:15 - Sep 15 with 11734 viewsCharsean

Morning guys. I got talking to James Thomas a couple of weeks ago and asked if he still follows the swans. He said that he's got a season ticket and goes to as many games as work (ambulance technician) allows. I joked that he probably gets a freebie and he replied that he didn't even get a discount. WTF!!!!
He wasn't complaining or moaning about it but I felt he was somewhat disappointed - and rightly so. I know there's been many people who helped our incredible rise but without his hat trick that day we would never be where we are today. I've canvassed quite a few fans and they believe he should be rewarded with a season ticket for life - in fact most think he should have a statue at the liberty.
Anyway I'm trying to drum up support from the fans and the evening post to get JT rewarded with something that he so thoroughly deserves.
If you're on Twitter please leave a comment on #jamesthomasseasonticketforlife

Thank you for your time
James Thomas - season ticket for life on 11:37 - Sep 15 with 1153 viewsParlay

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 11:29 - Sep 15 by Liberty

Most players make mistakes / wrong calls/ poor pass / poor marking etc etc at some point during a 90 minute match.

Unfortunately those made by a defender or keeper are usually remembered most as the consequence is sometimes a goal conceded.

James will be rembered for that match and rightly so. Cutler also stands out in my mind. All players on that day were vital.

Don't think giving one season ticket to one player for that match is right way forward.

Cutler isnt a Swansea fan and jumped ship ASAP when he had the chance to return. He also had a full career and still didnt contribute what Thomas did that day.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:42 - Sep 15 with 1140 viewsBrynmill_Jack

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 09:37 - Sep 15 by shandyjack

this OP is on a wind up surely? Where would it stop, would Sinclair get one when he retires for his play off final contribution.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 11:43 - Sep 15 with 1138 viewsLiberty

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 11:37 - Sep 15 by Parlay

Cutler isnt a Swansea fan and jumped ship ASAP when he had the chance to return. He also had a full career and still didnt contribute what Thomas did that day.

Just to clarify, I was not suggesting for a minute that Cutler get a free season ticket for life. No idea where he lives.

As I said earlier though, the reason James is being put forward and not, lets say, Jon Coates, is that James bagged the goals.

Don't think thats right.

Poll: League 2 Mod , Darr, but we are now in Prem - time for a change ?

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 11:48 - Sep 15 with 1126 viewsBrynmill_Jack

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 10:08 - Sep 15 by Charsean

I understand what some of your are saying but would the likes of freestone, Cusack and sinclair actually want or use a season ticket. James Thomas buys his own season ticket as he comes from Swansea and has always been a swans fan... I think some of you are forgetting his contribution to the history of the club. Our rise started with his hat trick... Without it.... Would we even have a club now
. Just my thoughts

On other words he is a fan too. He was a fan before his playing career started and he's a fan now.
Would the others even be interested , not having the strong local ties James has?

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 11:51 - Sep 15 with 1120 viewsBrynmill_Jack

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 10:08 - Sep 15 by C_jack

He is treated extremely well whenever he goes to a game, in a hospitality box most likely.

So he's treated extremely well , you think???????
I'm pretty sure his seat is NOT in a box as you blindly guess.

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 11:53 - Sep 15 with 1113 viewsParlay

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 11:43 - Sep 15 by Liberty

Just to clarify, I was not suggesting for a minute that Cutler get a free season ticket for life. No idea where he lives.

As I said earlier though, the reason James is being put forward and not, lets say, Jon Coates, is that James bagged the goals.

Don't think thats right.

Exactly. You don't win games by not scoring, our defence was pretty bad that day and our midfield was not the best. Thomas won us that game.

Coates had a full career moving to Northampton if memory serves and was even playing a few years ago into almost his 40's with Carmarthen Town.

James Thomas had to retire at a young age so didn't earn the footballers "fortune" these others had the chance to. And again Thomas did more in that iconic game than any Swans player, his composure was immense for basically a kid and saved the club.

Look at Geoff Hurst for England, there are probably many worthy candidates for statues however his goals won the World Cup final and will always be remembered. Swansea are no different with their history and Thomas should have free entry as far as I'm concerned, especially that his career was cut short so cruelly. An ambulance driver does not earn good money regardless of what people say.

Forum celebrity

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 11:55 - Sep 15 with 1103 viewsraynor94

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 11:36 - Sep 15 by Brynmill_Jack

He's probably got less disposable income than you .
I think the gravy train of the PL passed him buy , probably earned less than some of our U21's.
If anyone deserves a discount or more appropriately a freebie it's him

Come on let's be serious here, he was very well paid compared to the man in the street at Blackburn, he picked up a not to shabby insurance pay out. Where do you draw the line on this, means testing?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

James Thomas - season ticket for life (n/t) on 11:59 - Sep 15 with 1094 viewsskippyjack

[Post edited 15 Sep 2014 12:25]

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Login to get fewer ads

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 12:00 - Sep 15 with 1087 viewsLiberty

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 11:53 - Sep 15 by Parlay

Exactly. You don't win games by not scoring, our defence was pretty bad that day and our midfield was not the best. Thomas won us that game.

Coates had a full career moving to Northampton if memory serves and was even playing a few years ago into almost his 40's with Carmarthen Town.

James Thomas had to retire at a young age so didn't earn the footballers "fortune" these others had the chance to. And again Thomas did more in that iconic game than any Swans player, his composure was immense for basically a kid and saved the club.

Look at Geoff Hurst for England, there are probably many worthy candidates for statues however his goals won the World Cup final and will always be remembered. Swansea are no different with their history and Thomas should have free entry as far as I'm concerned, especially that his career was cut short so cruelly. An ambulance driver does not earn good money regardless of what people say.

Think your memory is playing tricks.

Jon spent his time after us mainly in Welsh league football, which is not a lucrative career.

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:00 - Sep 15 with 1088 viewsBrynmill_Jack

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:42 - Sep 15 by Brynmill_Jack

SS picked up more money resting his arse on Citeh's bench than JT will see in a lifetime. I'm almost embarrassed for you making posts like that. JT stood on the NB before his playing career even started and loves the club. Sinclair was just a f*cking tourist who made a big contribution admittedly but even in the NPC with the Swans he was earning more than JT when at Blackburn quite easily I'd wager

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 12:06 - Sep 15 with 1070 viewsBrynmill_Jack

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 11:55 - Sep 15 by raynor94

Come on let's be serious here, he was very well paid compared to the man in the street at Blackburn, he picked up a not to shabby insurance pay out. Where do you draw the line on this, means testing?

He wasn't the no1 striker at Blackburn so I don't expect he was on a lot of money. All footballers earned more than the man in the street so ridiculous to single him out in making that comparison.
I bet you earn 1-1.5 times as much at TATA as he does . His insurance policy probably paid his mortgage off ,if that

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:07 - Sep 15 with 1070 viewspencoedjack

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:00 - Sep 15 by Brynmill_Jack

SS picked up more money resting his arse on Citeh's bench than JT will see in a lifetime. I'm almost embarrassed for you making posts like that. JT stood on the NB before his playing career even started and loves the club. Sinclair was just a f*cking tourist who made a big contribution admittedly but even in the NPC with the Swans he was earning more than JT when at Blackburn quite easily I'd wager

He is also very lucky that he lived out most of our dreams .....

Think Man City have a banner 'Your living our dreams' which is very apt IMO.
James Thomas - season ticket for life on 12:07 - Sep 15 with 1070 viewsshandyjack

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 10:30 - Sep 15 by Uxbridge

Yes. Him vs 11. It was quite a thing at the time.

You saying he wasn't the difference between winning and losing that game?

not at all but the way some go on it's as if the rest of the players (who won his penalties) and scored the other goal were non entities on the pitch.

Poll: Expectation for the season

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 12:13 - Sep 15 with 1058 viewsUxbridge

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 12:07 - Sep 15 by shandyjack

not at all but the way some go on it's as if the rest of the players (who won his penalties) and scored the other goal were non entities on the pitch.

Don't think anyone's saying that, or at least I'm not. Jenny's third goal turned the corner. Martinez was immense driving everyone on that day. Coatesy played an absolute blinder ... his passion that day will mean I will always look fondly on him.

Anyway I agree that this shouldn't be just about Thomas, or that one match even. There should be a general approach as I said in my original post. However I'd certainly have no objections to JT being looked after by the club, as I hope they will for other former players where appropriate.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 12:14 - Sep 15 with 1054 viewsicecoldjack

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 11:16 - Sep 15 by Parlay

Are you suggesting Lee Jenkins played the same vital role in that match as James Thomas?! Come om now, there is taking a maverick stance and there is taking a maverick stance... In this case you may as well change your name to maverick.

Can be goose ?
James Thomas - season ticket for life on 12:19 - Sep 15 with 1033 viewsParlay

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 12:00 - Sep 15 by Liberty

Think your memory is playing tricks.

Jon spent his time after us mainly in Welsh league football, which is not a lucrative career.

Ah maybe it is, either way, he did not have his career cut short or indeed have the impact of James Thomas in Swansea's rise to where we are now. In fact you could pin point that hattrick as the beginning of it all.

Forum celebrity

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:23 - Sep 15 with 1022 viewsParlay

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:07 - Sep 15 by pencoedjack

He is also very lucky that he lived out most of our dreams .....

Think Man City have a banner 'Your living our dreams' which is very apt IMO.

I think there is a lot of that going on these days. Jealousy is too negative a word but people do seem to begrudge players receiving special treatment after their contribution or vital role in where we find ourselves today. People are all too quick to slate the likes of Lee Trundle too for example, its seen as fashionable for some bizarre reason. There is plenty of room in football for sentiment contrary to popular belief and this small token would go some way to showing our class.

Forum celebrity

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 12:36 - Sep 15 with 992 viewsheadcleaner

there are players who played that day who take their kids to the liberty and pay (i'd imagine) I don't think anyone should have a season ticket for life with the odd exception to someone like Curt being that exception.

Don't forget James Thomas was getting paid to do a job that day against Hull isn't that reward enough regardless of how big an occasion it was.

what about the scorers in the previous games that enabled us to be in a position that we put ourselves? Away at Rochdale for example. Whilst I don't want to dampen what a significant hattrick Thomas scored and I'd happily buy him a drink if I saw him in a pub. some let sentiment run riot.
James Thomas - season ticket for life on 13:06 - Sep 15 with 947 viewsSpratty

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 09:48 - Sep 15 by Parlay

The thing with James Thomas is, not only did he contribute hugely to an iconic moment in our history, in fact, the game we can pin point to where it all began but he then had to retire at the age of what 24/25? He did not profit from our rise as the rest did or indeed have the career length most others had - he left us on a league 2 salary.

Its a yes from me.

This - an absolute drop in the ocean to what others are picking up from what he so significantly contributed to.
James Thomas - season ticket for life on 13:13 - Sep 15 with 935 viewspremierjack

I can't be bothered to read all the comments about this.... But surely if he has a case for a free ticket then every single player in the squad must get one!!!!

I can't believe this is a serious thread!

I know James fairly well, he can definitely afford a season ticket, he has a lovely house (no doubt bigger that many of us), he has property that he rents out and he has looked after his money well.... Mainly the money he made at Blackburn with the help of the FA.

If James Thomas deserves a free season ticket, in afraid the list of players will be endless!!!

It's a NO from me.
James Thomas - season ticket for life on 13:20 - Sep 15 with 912 viewsParlay

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 13:13 - Sep 15 by premierjack

I can't be bothered to read all the comments about this.... But surely if he has a case for a free ticket then every single player in the squad must get one!!!!

I know James fairly well, he can definitely afford a season ticket, he has a lovely house (no doubt bigger that many of us), he has property that he rents out and he has looked after his money well.... Mainly the money he made at Blackburn with the help of the FA.

If James Thomas deserves a free season ticket, in afraid the list of players will be endless!!!

It's a NO from me.

Do all soldiers deserve the medal of honour? Does every player deserve a statue? Does every actor deserve a lifetime achievement award? Does every player deserve their shirt retired?

I think in that hull game we could have replaced any single player for that match and i would still be confident we would have won (maybe martinez aside but hes not a swans fan).... Apart from Thomas. Most important game in our history, most important player in that game. An iconic moment that began one of the greatest rags to riches stories in British football.

Simple as that.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2014 13:24]

Forum celebrity

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 13:29 - Sep 15 with 891 viewsChief

Marc Richards?

Without his goal at Rochdale the week before, we wouldn't have been in a position that allowed us to stay up if we won the Hull game.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 13:29 - Sep 15 with 891 viewsLiberty

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 12:19 - Sep 15 by Parlay

Ah maybe it is, either way, he did not have his career cut short or indeed have the impact of James Thomas in Swansea's rise to where we are now. In fact you could pin point that hattrick as the beginning of it all.

Some ( me for 1) would say that going to Welsh league after the Swans is having career cut short.

Financially it would probably have been better getting injured while at Swansea.

Going off track a bit.

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 13:30 - Sep 15 with 890 viewsCatullus

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 12:19 - Sep 15 by Parlay

To put it properly, Thomas had absolutely no impact in our rise up the league. His impact was in stopping us going down.
The same impact that every player had in those games at the tail end of that season. If we'd dropped any points in the other last ten games of the season (obviously besides the points we did drop) we'd have gone down.
The results stand, it was a team effort, you can't single one out and make out he did it single handed in one game.
I think strikers get too much credit, they can't do what they do without the rest of the team.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 13:32 - Sep 15 with 883 viewsDarran

James Thomas - season ticket for life on 13:13 - Sep 15 by premierjack

It's a NO from me.

One thing is for sure James Thomas isn't short of money.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024