Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one 20:45 - Apr 29 with 6006 viewsGloryHunter

Anyone used one of these things? Any tips? Can't be shagged with all that spade digging any more.
Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 17:11 - Apr 30 with 1545 viewsMonahoop

Try investing in a couple of Suffolk Punch horses and a plough. No pollution from petrol or noisy engines or cursing when the bloody thing won't start. Plus you get lots of manure for the garden.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 17:36 - Apr 30 with 1531 viewsMrSheen

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 17:11 - Apr 30 by Monahoop

Try investing in a couple of Suffolk Punch horses and a plough. No pollution from petrol or noisy engines or cursing when the bloody thing won't start. Plus you get lots of manure for the garden.

All getting a bit Jack Hargreaves on here.

Out of Town used to be on before The Big Match on Sunday afternoon. How I hated it as a kid, I thought it would never be over.
Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 17:46 - Apr 30 with 1522 viewseastside_r

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 23:22 - Apr 29 by BlackCrowe

I love this board sometimes. Find another thread like this on another club's forum - it ain't gonna happen.

I started reading this thread and it took some time to sink in this was about gardening.

I had assumed it was something sexual.
Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 19:58 - Apr 30 with 1497 viewspeejaybee

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 11:11 - Apr 30 by Juzzie

Now that I've moved and got a garden front and back, I'm getting all green fingered!

I've some some intrusive bamboo trees in both the front & back to dig up. I've used a hedge trimmer to cut them down and then secateurs to cut the stubs right down but was going then dig up the roots with a spade. Sod that, seeing this thread I think I'll rent something from HSS!

HSS do not do Dynamite.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 20:22 - Apr 30 with 1488 viewsBrightonhoop

If you've got local allotments someone will know someone else that will lend you one. As for bamboo roots,dig around the base, cut the above ground shoots right back, douse them in petrol and burn them. Kick the earth back over the fire when it's job is done, the ash is good for the ground too. Bamboos are really invasive and just pop up elsewhere in the garden in the years ahead.
Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 21:21 - Apr 30 with 1468 viewskropotkin41

Given that Sexy Friday has bitten the dust.............. weekly gardening thread anyone?

I was planting tomatoes out in my polytunnel today. Lovely.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 21:23 - Apr 30 with 1467 viewskropotkin41

Should quickly add that it's probably a bit early for those of you further east unless you've got heated greenhouses.

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 21:24 - Apr 30 with 1463 viewsJuzzie

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 21:23 - Apr 30 by kropotkin41

Should quickly add that it's probably a bit early for those of you further east unless you've got heated greenhouses.

"This week I'll be mostly digging up bamboo"
Login to get fewer ads

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 21:26 - Apr 30 with 1462 viewsBrightonhoop

Perhaps a 'largest marrow' competition on the Board this year? Marrows are easy, drought resistant and hardy once established.
Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 21:59 - Apr 30 with 1453 viewsGloryHunter

I had a great crop of purple spouting broccoli this year - best for 20 years. I can't claim any particular credit for it - everyone round here also had a great crop - must have been just the right combination of environmental factors. There's no skill in gardening - it's mostly just luck.
Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 22:10 - Apr 30 with 1445 viewsCiderwithRsie

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 21:24 - Apr 30 by Juzzie

"This week I'll be mostly digging up bamboo"

If you don't want to risk singeing yourself, you can modify Brighton's suggestion by painting the stumps with a strong brushwood killer - glyphosate should be the active ingredient on the contents label.

If you really want to dig them up I'd recommend a mattock rather than either a spade or for that matter a rotavator.

Actually a mattock is one the all-time great gardening tools, I don't know why most people don't have one. Pretty cheap from your local builders' merchant too.
Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 22:15 - Apr 30 with 1436 viewsCiderwithRsie

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 21:59 - Apr 30 by GloryHunter

I had a great crop of purple spouting broccoli this year - best for 20 years. I can't claim any particular credit for it - everyone round here also had a great crop - must have been just the right combination of environmental factors. There's no skill in gardening - it's mostly just luck.

Well there is plenty of skill in gardening but if the weather's good you get good crops and if its bad you get bad crops. Mild winter followed by mild but not too dry spring = good crop of early veg such as purple-sprouting.
Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 22:22 - Apr 30 with 1433 viewsBrightonhoop

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 22:10 - Apr 30 by CiderwithRsie

If you don't want to risk singeing yourself, you can modify Brighton's suggestion by painting the stumps with a strong brushwood killer - glyphosate should be the active ingredient on the contents label.

If you really want to dig them up I'd recommend a mattock rather than either a spade or for that matter a rotavator.

Actually a mattock is one the all-time great gardening tools, I don't know why most people don't have one. Pretty cheap from your local builders' merchant too.

Be very careful with Glyphosphate. I think it is being reported as the lethal factor in a massive growth of kidney failure worldwide, Monsanto use it in all sorts and 15 years on it's been rumbled. And equally, yes, dont burn the house down...
[Post edited 30 Apr 2014 22:22]
Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 22:28 - Apr 30 with 1425 viewsted_hendrix

I've just splashed the cash on a Stihl petrol strimmer and garden vac, they both run on Aspen fuel which lasts for 3 Years (no mixing) brilliant bits of kit.
I've been slug pelleting since February and still the bastards keep coming.
Got loads of strawberries coming,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 22:35 - Apr 30 with 1419 viewsMrSheen

LFW Gardeners' Question Time.

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 22:38 - Apr 30 with 1408 viewsJuzzie

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 22:10 - Apr 30 by CiderwithRsie

There's a mattock in the shed so will give that a go too, thanks.
Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 22:56 - Apr 30 with 1396 viewsBrightonhoop

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 22:35 - Apr 30 by MrSheen

LFW Gardeners' Question Time.

'I love the smell of lemons in the morning.' I've got one eye on a couple of acres of Almond groves about 10 miles away from here, 13,000 Euro but producing a crop of around 10,000 a year. I never dreamt I could potentially end up a farmer in Andalucia....anyone got a cheap tractor?
Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 23:01 - Apr 30 with 1391 viewsCiderwithRsie

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 22:22 - Apr 30 by Brightonhoop

Be very careful with Glyphosphate. I think it is being reported as the lethal factor in a massive growth of kidney failure worldwide, Monsanto use it in all sorts and 15 years on it's been rumbled. And equally, yes, dont burn the house down...
[Post edited 30 Apr 2014 22:22]

Agreed. I try to avoid it wherever possible. Even if I thought there were no safety or environmental issues I don't like giving money to Monsanto.

Don't know about the kidney failure issue, though I'd have thought you should be OK with careful application in a garden setting, especially if painted on rather than sprayed, which should reduce the risk of accidental inhalation. If it is a cause of kidney failure, I'd suggest it's more likely to get into people via its use as a standard weedkiller in arable agriculture, especially if you eat products made from Monsanto's copyrighted GM glyphosate-resistant cereals, the sole purpose if which is to allow/encourage farmers to liberally dose the whole field in glyphosate (copyright Monsanto.)

Most US grown soya is now glyphosate-resistant. Always worth remembering when a vegan is telling you how much better for the environment it would be if we all gave up meat.
Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 23:18 - Apr 30 with 1385 viewsBrightonhoop

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 23:01 - Apr 30 by CiderwithRsie

Agreed. I try to avoid it wherever possible. Even if I thought there were no safety or environmental issues I don't like giving money to Monsanto.

Don't know about the kidney failure issue, though I'd have thought you should be OK with careful application in a garden setting, especially if painted on rather than sprayed, which should reduce the risk of accidental inhalation. If it is a cause of kidney failure, I'd suggest it's more likely to get into people via its use as a standard weedkiller in arable agriculture, especially if you eat products made from Monsanto's copyrighted GM glyphosate-resistant cereals, the sole purpose if which is to allow/encourage farmers to liberally dose the whole field in glyphosate (copyright Monsanto.)

Most US grown soya is now glyphosate-resistant. Always worth remembering when a vegan is telling you how much better for the environment it would be if we all gave up meat.

True. I couldn't remember what I had read about it recently, but it's in weed killers, including domestic ones like Round up, and the scientific advice is to avoid at all times, even in small quantities.
Monsanto will either have the world by the throat or will have poisoned much of the world harvest in a generation. Best avoided where possible.
Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 00:26 - May 1 with 1370 viewsPommyhoop

Great thread! If he is available for the playoffs we can rotavate Remy with Charlie in the semi's then maybe play both of them together for the Final.
Whats happening there by the way? Can we recall him . And Adel??

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 01:00 - May 1 with 1360 viewsCanadaRanger

Might be worth a cheeky phone call to ask, given today's result, if you can try the rotavator out there at Stamford Bridge ... :)
[Post edited 3 May 2014 14:25]
Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 08:04 - May 1 with 1350 viewsMrSheen

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 23:18 - Apr 30 by Brightonhoop

True. I couldn't remember what I had read about it recently, but it's in weed killers, including domestic ones like Round up, and the scientific advice is to avoid at all times, even in small quantities.
Monsanto will either have the world by the throat or will have poisoned much of the world harvest in a generation. Best avoided where possible.

It's off patent now so anyone can make it. Probably for the worse as it's cheaper.
Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 08:40 - May 1 with 1340 viewsheadhoops

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 22:28 - Apr 30 by ted_hendrix

I've just splashed the cash on a Stihl petrol strimmer and garden vac, they both run on Aspen fuel which lasts for 3 Years (no mixing) brilliant bits of kit.
I've been slug pelleting since February and still the bastards keep coming.
Got loads of strawberries coming,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ted try garlic water around your prize petals - meant to keep the slimy gits at arms length.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 08:46 - May 1 with 1334 viewsHantsR

My new garage development is next to a big, productive fig tree. Should I try and move it or just slice through the side of the root system? My mate has a rotavator.
Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 08:55 - May 1 with 1324 viewskropotkin41

Rotavators - I'm thing of buying one on 08:46 - May 1 by HantsR

My new garage development is next to a big, productive fig tree. Should I try and move it or just slice through the side of the root system? My mate has a rotavator.

Figs always used to be planted against walls in this country, they don't mind restricted roots. I can't see a fig worrying about a bit of root damage but I'm not a fig expert. Moving a big fig tree sounds like a nightmare job.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024