Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chris Dunphy 18:24 - Feb 5 with 11343 viewsHullDale

Surprised this hasn't already been posted to be honest, but Chris Dunphy has indicated on Facebook that he (& a group of friends) would be interested in taking back over at Dale.

There are lots of caveats from him, including reservations about the unknown total debt, but he would be willing to step in if given 'total control' with a board of his choosing & no 'terrorists in the boardroom'.

I'm sharing this without opinion on the outcome, but do want to call out (before there is a huge clamour for the current board to go) that the current board stepped up to save the club after the exact person who forced Dunphy out originally left us up the proverbial creek for personal benefit.
Chris Dunphy on 09:25 - Feb 7 with 1682 views49thseason

As I have said here several times, the fly in the ointment is the EFL and the way its divides up its revenues to the 72 cllubs it controls, As long as it continues to funnel the bulk of its income to the Championship, clubs in L1 and L2 particularly will be financially compressed into debt or into the hands of a single wealthy owner or entity. There is no reward for clubs who run their affairs with financial probity, hence the system actually increases debt within just about every club in the organisation with the exception of those that have been in the Premiership recently i.e. Burnley and Norwich, but after a number of years back in the EFL, clubs like Bolton and Wigan have gone into massive debt chasing increasingly impossible dreams of getting back to the Prem.
There are really only 2 options, one being relegation due to lack of funds to put a decent team on the pitch, the second being EFL survival but carrying increasing debts with an " owner".
Its time that the clubs that dont want to be continually in debt and beholden to EFL scraps departed the EFL and set up an alternative organisation based on an equal distribtion of income from sponsorship of a new League.
A new league with 48 clubs from L1, L2 and currently non-League could be organised North and South to cut travel and increase gates. The champions to be decided by a North V South final.
Community income could be generated via their own tv channel and online coverage, and shared equally. It may not be flashy but it would be more sustainable and would remove the constant worry about cash and the horrors of MH-style takeovers.
Rochdale taught the world how to cooperate its time to teach football clubs to do the same and run their own affairs properly. Inevitably there would be weal5hier clubs, but if the amount that could be spent on players could be regulated, there could be more emphasis on developing players and community outreach, improving stadia etc.
Chris Dunphy on 10:52 - Feb 7 with 1483 viewsDaleGatto

Chris Dunphy on 09:25 - Feb 7 by 49thseason

As I have said here several times, the fly in the ointment is the EFL and the way its divides up its revenues to the 72 cllubs it controls, As long as it continues to funnel the bulk of its income to the Championship, clubs in L1 and L2 particularly will be financially compressed into debt or into the hands of a single wealthy owner or entity. There is no reward for clubs who run their affairs with financial probity, hence the system actually increases debt within just about every club in the organisation with the exception of those that have been in the Premiership recently i.e. Burnley and Norwich, but after a number of years back in the EFL, clubs like Bolton and Wigan have gone into massive debt chasing increasingly impossible dreams of getting back to the Prem.
There are really only 2 options, one being relegation due to lack of funds to put a decent team on the pitch, the second being EFL survival but carrying increasing debts with an " owner".
Its time that the clubs that dont want to be continually in debt and beholden to EFL scraps departed the EFL and set up an alternative organisation based on an equal distribtion of income from sponsorship of a new League.
A new league with 48 clubs from L1, L2 and currently non-League could be organised North and South to cut travel and increase gates. The champions to be decided by a North V South final.
Community income could be generated via their own tv channel and online coverage, and shared equally. It may not be flashy but it would be more sustainable and would remove the constant worry about cash and the horrors of MH-style takeovers.
Rochdale taught the world how to cooperate its time to teach football clubs to do the same and run their own affairs properly. Inevitably there would be weal5hier clubs, but if the amount that could be spent on players could be regulated, there could be more emphasis on developing players and community outreach, improving stadia etc.

Here here.

I'm sick of being part of this corrupt organisation, the issue we have is to get this type of venture off the ground, it needs a driving force, a true driving force to get clubs off this EFL teat even though it harms them. It's like trying to get an abuse victim out of an abusive relationship, to all the world outside it seems an easy question - just get out, but to the victim it is nearly impossible to see the woods for the trees.
Chris Dunphy on 12:11 - Feb 7 with 1279 viewsSuddenLad

Chris Dunphy on 09:25 - Feb 7 by 49thseason

This is the best of all ideas, but will take many years to come to fruition. There are many fans of EFL clubs who feel that their clubs are being slowly starved to a financial death, whilst the rich get richer. Financial stability foe League Two clubs is nigh on impossible when increasing wage demands from players, huge costs in overheads, hikes in gate prices and a dwindling source of income for the paying customers/supporters are combined. It can only end one way.

The EFL are paying the role of the ostrich, and appear to be blithely ignoring what will lead the inevitable demise of plenty of clubs. They sit on their hands, or blatantly refuse to alter the system that brings this about.

There has to be another way forward for the lower league clubs to be able to exist, and thrive, in a system which is much more equitable than this corrupt, not fit for purpose cabal that currently assists, rather than helps prevent, the mounting financial crisis facing its'members.

I think the Crouch report is due to be published this week. Let's hope there are many sensible recommendations for the future of the structure of the leagues and that the EFL implement the ones that matter with some urgency.

The fans demand change.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Chris Dunphy on 12:13 - Feb 7 with 1271 viewsD_Alien

Chris Dunphy on 10:52 - Feb 7 by DaleGatto

Here here.

I'm sick of being part of this corrupt organisation, the issue we have is to get this type of venture off the ground, it needs a driving force, a true driving force to get clubs off this EFL teat even though it harms them. It's like trying to get an abuse victim out of an abusive relationship, to all the world outside it seems an easy question - just get out, but to the victim it is nearly impossible to see the woods for the trees.

Whilst no-one's holding their breath, the introduction of legislation tomorrow to change how football below the Premier League is regulated might just be the catalyst for such a change. It will, obviously, take some time and we've not got a lot of that at Dale right now

I posted an OP about this a few days ago. Dale are signed up to the "Fair Game" initiative which is the main lobby group with input into how the legislation pans out. The board may wish to comment on their input into the Fair Game lobby at the fans forum. No-one else commented on here - although i appreciate it doesn't have the immediacy our situation requires and it could get watered down (i'm not naive about all this)

Still, in the longer term, which this thread is turning into a very useful discussion about, changes to football governance will have a major effect for clubs like Dale, and we need to be taking this into account right now

Edit: just read SuddenLad's post. I think we should be looking for an independent regulator to take over the role of the EFL rather than asking such a moribund bunch of time-serving gravy-trainers to do anything useful

[Post edited 7 Feb 2023 12:17]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Chris Dunphy on 12:24 - Feb 7 with 1221 viewsThreeLions

Chris Dunphy on 10:52 - Feb 7 by DaleGatto

Here here.

Are you related to the old forum legend El Gatto by any chance?
Chris Dunphy on 12:30 - Feb 7 with 1185 viewstony_roch975

Chris Dunphy on 00:10 - Feb 7 by TalkingSutty

Good post, I'm not sure if it will happen though. In a ideal world the current board would be running the club without the need for outside investment and probably wouldn't need help off Chris Dunphy or anybody else. The reality is to exist as a EFL club you need to be comfortable with accumulating very big debt and it's more difficult year on year to survive. Does the club actually have to exist as a EFL Club though, is it that big a deal anymore?

Looking for outside investment is jumping into the frying pan again, the control of the club is out of the fans hands to a large extent and we are back to the old scenario. What would it probably achieve, maybe a guarantee of struggling to survive in the EFL for a longer period of time? It's probably too late for that to happen now anyway if we are being brutally honest.

Everybody who threw money into the buckets, donated to fund raising events and purchased shares bought into the concept of a fan owned club, one that would be run by the fans for the benefit of the fans and be safe from those who wished to profit from any involvement in it. The reason there is now a sudden u-turn from this plan is the desperation to carry on competing in the EFL but is it really worth it? Personally I don't think it is.

I would rather we row our own boat as fans and do it further down the pyramid at whatever level, safe in the knowledge that the bills are paid and we aren't at the mercy of money men and shysters. The fans, and i fully include Simon and the Directors in this, alongside David Clough have all invested over the last couple of years to protect the club and keep it fully fan owned. It seems daft to now invite unknown strangers with money to take part or even full ownership of the club to once again take it out of the fans hands.

Is there any appetite to cut our cloth accordingly and find a level that we can financially operate at as a viable fan owned club?
[Post edited 7 Feb 2023 1:25]

excellent summary of the key debate - EFL team but uncertain ownership v fan owned non league team.

2 thoughts:-
- how far down the leagues would we have to go to be able to survive on fans finance only (I'd guess at level 7/8 or below [semi pro/amateur])
- at what level would most fans not attend (again I'd guess the same level)

That's the quandry.
Do we need to start advertising in Hollywood?

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024