Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hull Reflection 22:26 - Oct 1 with 13633 viewsbluenwhite10

A strange one tonight, started really brightly for the 1st 15-20mins and if their keeper didn’t make those 3 quality saves in that period who knows what would have happened.

Got hit by a sucker punch, then look very vulnerable for the rest of the half which lead to us going 2 down.

Pulled one back just before half time and like the 1st half the 1st 15-20 of the 2nd half Rangers played some good stuff, but Hull got a 3rd from Miller who by the way caused us trouble all night and looked quality and I would of had Santos off at half time and Ashby on as Santos was getting done every time.

I look at Rangers and I can’t see us scoring many goals and the gap between what Hull could do in the final 3rd v what we can do was massive .

A couple of other things the movement is poor at throw ins and also when Nardi has the ball as he seems to be playing at a different speed to the rest of the team and yet again could not fault home with any of the goals and he looks like a quality addition.

We are far to open to play against when the line up contains Frey, Saito, Anderson and Dembele in it is one to many attack minded players as it leaves Field too exposed as Madsen even though he is good on the ball gives no support, but having said that I don't think apart from Colback who could fit in there as Dixon-Bonner simply ain’t up to it. He might have his critics but we are really missing Colback at the moment.

Smyth very poor when he come on by either slowing down the play or crossing straight into the keepers hands.

My opinion on Celar is we have brought a player in that can’t play in the system we want to play and can only play off of another forward and I can’t see us playing that way with the amount of number 10 type players we have.

I also do think we are stronger than we were 12 months ago and we might need to be a bit patient with the amount of changes we have had with the players coming in.

MOM nobody stood out but even though he might be a bit lightweight Saito .

Up the R’s

Hull Reflection on 22:34 - Oct 1 with 7365 viewsGaryBannister86

Nice to see a bit of calm reflection.

It was a strange one first 20 or so of both halves we actually looked good.

For the rest of it, everyone's fear that the midfield was far too lightweight were realised. Cut open whenever Hull had the ball and if it wasn't for Cook we would have shipped six.

Saito was the big improver and I thought Madsen played better today. Lucas is so off form it is unreal but what he was doing for their goal was criminal.

Celar actually won a couple of balls but then looked about as sharp in the box as I would. The worries deepen.

You've got to hope that JCS and Colback come back and Dunne goes to RB and we actually settle in to the season and tighten up again.

Finally, and I thought it at the time, but selling Dykes when all we have is Frey and Celar....bonkers.
[Post edited 1 Oct 22:36]
Hull Reflection on 22:43 - Oct 1 with 7194 viewsStreathamRanger

There are some big problems with this side. I said a few weeks back it looked like missing out on Hayden would really cost us and I stand by that.

Either our full backs are not very good (I've never been Paal's biggest fan) or our system leaves our full backs over exposed. The amount of crosses into our box that we concede is terrifying and builds the pressure which eventually leads to mistakes and us conceding goals.

Get JCS, Colback, and Chair back in the team and Jimmy Dunne back to right back and we might just about be okay. Stick with Andersen, Madsen and Santos and we could be in real trouble.

Shout out to Saito who I think looks a great little player and could easily have had two goals tonight. He'll chip in with some goals and assists this year.
Hull Reflection on 22:45 - Oct 1 with 7133 viewsted_hendrix

Colback was a big miss for me tonight.

First half going In 2-1 down was a mystery, on another day and with a bit of composure In front of goal we could have gone In at half time 2-1 up.

There's no excuse though to lose at home 3-1 Is poor form.

Now we'll see what Martí Cifuentes Is all about.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Hull Reflection (n/t) on 22:55 - Oct 1 with 6954 views1JD

[Post edited 1 Oct 22:55]
Hull Reflection on 22:57 - Oct 1 with 6914 viewsPaddyhoops

Can’t get my head around how the management team can’t see that Santos is getting roasted time after time and he was left on for the entire 90 minutes which was more than I lasted .
I pissed off in disgust at 85 minutes.
First 15 was great by the rest was abysmal.
Seriously worried now . Happy for people to have calm reflection but I’m just angry and that showing.
Hull Reflection on 23:05 - Oct 1 with 6802 viewsnumptydumpty

Hull Reflection on 22:45 - Oct 1 by ted_hendrix

Colback was a big miss for me tonight.

First half going In 2-1 down was a mystery, on another day and with a bit of composure In front of goal we could have gone In at half time 2-1 up.

There's no excuse though to lose at home 3-1 Is poor form.

Now we'll see what Martí Cifuentes Is all about.

Dunne at centre back is an accident waiting to happen and Cook with Dunne by his side is hesitant.

Santos is a more forward player but is frightened and the fans didn't help him. I think Cifuentes kept him on because he doesn't want to destroy his confidence but he wasn't great.

Paal also was very poor today. The back four were easily breached and going behind seems to have consequences on our players just freezing for ten minutes after each concession

We have yet to have a cleam sheet this season

Saito I thought was our biggest threat but it seems so difficult for us to find any centre forwards that ever score goals.

We put our money down for both Austin and Gray and although both did sod all else, they still scored goals. Not enjoyable to watch but you felt opportunities, they could at least score a few.

Wish our data analysts could find such a player with our budgets but been incapable in recent seasons

Am extremely surprised at how poor we have been so far this season. Never have felt like am seeing a winning team

Two excellent periods of play at start of both half's but why can't we score during the periods we are well on top. Frustrating.

And Hull basically thought ok - they keep missing - let's just go up there and put the ball in the back of the net, which they did with ease.

Nardi does save a few shots - has he been at fault - not sure but currently this team is frightened.

No one tries a forward ball or movement.

Could not understand why at every single corner kick they had, we had eleven behind the ball and when we losing also.

Why not leave Dembele or Saito up there. They both lightweight so not likely be that effective in defence but a quick punt up the middle and the chase is on and at the very least it would keep another of their players from not being in our penalty area. Could not understand that all game.

Its been a surprisingly bad start to the season. Was expecting much more. This team for me seems one totally reliant on confidence but when the chips are down we seem to be scared and don't look a threat after conceding

I think we are too good for bottom three but currently we look like a lower to just outside relegation team which I was not expecting to see

I felt like others this season we.could easily be comfortable mid table but how long has our home form been so dreadful...

Lots of prayers required !@!

Do they work ?????

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Hull Reflection on 23:15 - Oct 1 with 6647 viewsHunterhoop

It was on Cifuentes today. Suicidal personnel in that shape and system. Our front 5, well, the 4 behind Frey, were way too high. We played a 4141 but the gap between Field and Madsen and Andersen in front of him were huge. Every time we lost it we had 5 players the wrong side of the ball and were scrambling. Paal trying (badly) to play inverted fullback stretched the centre halves massively too. We were so easy to play against.

Madsen and Andersen can only play at 10. You can only play one of them. At present, I’m not sure you play either. It is mad we keep playing Madsen in central midfield. He has absolutely no awareness or positional sense when are out of possession.

Today we had 3 defensively minded players on the pitch, out of 10. Cook, Dunne, Field. That is not sufficient. The imbalance is far too big. I would get Dunne back at right back as soon as we can, I’d play Field, Colback and Varane in the middle (and ask the latter two not to be idiots), and then play Dembele, Chair, Frey ahead. It may be less creative. It may mean fewer players forward, but it’ll be a lot more solid.
Hull Reflection on 23:31 - Oct 1 with 6438 viewsstevec

Whoever bought these players in, had they ever watched a Championship game?

Took 82 minutes before one of our midfielders put a proper tackle in. Five a side footballers, absolutely fckin useless at this level.

As for Santos, words fail me.

Easiest win Hull will ever get.
Login to get fewer ads

Hull Reflection on 23:40 - Oct 1 with 6382 viewssixnil

Couldn't agree more, we are far too lightweight for the Championship.
We were weak down our right side, so why wasn't Santos changed at HT? Killed the game after they exploited the weakness again..surely Ashby would have been a better option
If we don't toughen up and find our aggression we are in trouble.
Hull Reflection on 23:45 - Oct 1 with 6318 viewsTwoHalves

Good point in OP about Nardi ‘playing at a different speed’ to the rest of the team. Whenever he collects the ball he immediately looks to launch an attack but the rest of the team seem to think that’s their cue for a breather, turn their backs on the ball and just walk away. Any opportunity for a quick counter attack is then lost. So frustrating, particularly when we’re chasing the game.
Hull Reflection on 23:47 - Oct 1 with 6285 viewsHunterhoop

Hull Reflection on 23:31 - Oct 1 by stevec

Took 82 minutes before one of our midfielders put a proper tackle in. Five a side footballers, absolutely fckin useless at this level.

I’ll put it here again.

9 tackles made all game to Hull’s 18.

Madsen did not make challenge all game (no tackles or fouls).
Andersen made one challenge (a foul) and gifted them their second goal.
Our starting front 5 made one tackle all game (Saito)
Our subs made 1 tackle all game (Smyth)
Field made 2, Paal 2, Dunne 1, Cook 1, Santos 1. The back 4 at least made some clearances.

We have too many “ballers” and not enough footballers in the team. Footballers who know how to play out of possession. It’s no good being a baller if you don’t have possession and can’t win it back.

This imbalance coupled with the shape and system meant we were so easy to play against. Hull didn’t even have to work that hard to create chances.
Hull Reflection on 23:50 - Oct 1 with 6227 views1JD

Well according to our CEO/DOF he has “11 years of football experience” despite being 26 years old. Work that one out.

Or other words, most of that experience was playing Football Manager.

So no, he probably hasn’t watched championship games. And our signings are starting to remind me of the time when we bought in Nicky Ward, Adam Czerkas, and Armel Tchakounte….
Hull Reflection on 23:58 - Oct 1 with 6126 viewsbaz_qpr

Hull Reflection on 23:15 - Oct 1 by Hunterhoop

It was on Cifuentes today. Suicidal personnel in that shape and system. Our front 5, well, the 4 behind Frey, were way too high. We played a 4141 but the gap between Field and Madsen and Andersen in front of him were huge. Every time we lost it we had 5 players the wrong side of the ball and were scrambling. Paal trying (badly) to play inverted fullback stretched the centre halves massively too. We were so easy to play against.

Madsen and Andersen can only play at 10. You can only play one of them. At present, I’m not sure you play either. It is mad we keep playing Madsen in central midfield. He has absolutely no awareness or positional sense when are out of possession.

Today we had 3 defensively minded players on the pitch, out of 10. Cook, Dunne, Field. That is not sufficient. The imbalance is far too big. I would get Dunne back at right back as soon as we can, I’d play Field, Colback and Varane in the middle (and ask the latter two not to be idiots), and then play Dembele, Chair, Frey ahead. It may be less creative. It may mean fewer players forward, but it’ll be a lot more solid.

I dont think I agree with that, we conceded to two short corner set piece routines the first being a bit of a lucky ricochet and a break where Smyth and Saito had got out opposition and Smyth should really have cut off the lose ball in midfield which led to their break.

I dont think you can really go by the last 20 minutes game was lost then. It was our failure to capitalise on our chances that cost us. Another day Saito scores 2. Also the failure (other than Anderson) to try and get ahead of the striker

Frey was well off the pace from the start (perhaps ill)

Field had a pretty poor game as well. I thought Madsen played well as the 8 it was definitely 4-2-3-1 with Field as the Anchor and Madsen dictating play Anderson often being the only one running beyond the centre forward (certainly first half) First half Paal did not play inverted certainly not like he did against Millwall

Santos got roasted down the right and whilst Dembele did not provide the greatest of cover time and time again he got turned or made the wrong decision. If Cifuentes made one bad call it was not hooking him at half time. Smyth was shocking when he came on
Hull Reflection on 00:08 - Oct 2 with 6040 viewsHunterhoop

Hull Reflection on 23:58 - Oct 1 by baz_qpr

I dont think I agree with that, we conceded to two short corner set piece routines the first being a bit of a lucky ricochet and a break where Smyth and Saito had got out opposition and Smyth should really have cut off the lose ball in midfield which led to their break.

I dont think you can really go by the last 20 minutes game was lost then. It was our failure to capitalise on our chances that cost us. Another day Saito scores 2. Also the failure (other than Anderson) to try and get ahead of the striker

Frey was well off the pace from the start (perhaps ill)

Field had a pretty poor game as well. I thought Madsen played well as the 8 it was definitely 4-2-3-1 with Field as the Anchor and Madsen dictating play Anderson often being the only one running beyond the centre forward (certainly first half) First half Paal did not play inverted certainly not like he did against Millwall

Santos got roasted down the right and whilst Dembele did not provide the greatest of cover time and time again he got turned or made the wrong decision. If Cifuentes made one bad call it was not hooking him at half time. Smyth was shocking when he came on

That might have been what was intended, but Madsen was very rarely along side Field in a two man central midfield. Either it was deliberate to have him pushed on or he is a lazy bugger and doesn’t get back.

Paal did invert in the first. Not as much as the second or Millwall, but he did it on a couple of occasions and Dunne was out defending by R block.

Agree to disagree. I think Cifuentes is culpable for system and personnel today. Praise him when he gets it right. Today it was not right.
Hull Reflection on 00:21 - Oct 2 with 5930 viewsrbee

As I have said before the analytical software that highlights what good players they are can only use the stats created from the current league that they are playing in.

Whether they will play as well in The Championship is largely unpredictable.
Hull Reflection on 00:28 - Oct 2 with 5889 viewsNorthernr

The big disappointment for me is every Hull game this season they've looked very vulnerable from their corners.

They put all 10 in the box. Stick one bloke on the centre spot and you're one headed clearance away from a one on one with their goalkeeper.

We've got two blokes who are four foot tall, contributing nothing defensively.

This all feels like an easy sum to me. Instead we've conceded from two of their corners, and really should have conceded from a third in the second half.

This time last year I'd have been writing "have we even watched Hull?".

That set up didn't work. Santos v Millar (best player on the pitch when we played PNE last season) didn't work. And yet we kept doing it.

Felt like a game there for the winning, and we almost deliberately played into everything they wanted us to do.

A bizarre night.
Hull Reflection on 07:00 - Oct 2 with 5290 viewsMalintabuk

Done my normal trick of not coming on here after a game where I end up totally p!ssed off and can't really contribute anything... unfortunately still totally p!ssed off.
Can't believe what I'm reading here ..... are we actually criticising Marti?.... I questioned on another thread the veracity of our summer signings and was accused of wanting him sacked... so please no criticism of Marti.
So obviously it is all down to the players... they picked themselves... they decided the system we should play.... and they decided who and when should come off or who stayed on.
Before the game started was late getting into my seat... but was going to post that our team looks like Lilliput 11.... and thought we found out before that the Madsen/Andersen axis just doesn't work....we still persist
Good 15 mins.... but once Hull found out that we don't like to tackle, and we don't cover our full backs.... we were fcuked..... then they discovered that we don't know how to defend a short corner.... and finally they discovered that we are not really very good....
The only consistent thing is with us.... another demoralising night at hq.... Still never mind we have an international break soon... the players can go into that comfortable in the fact that we might very well be in the bottom, they love a bottom 3 our lads... and we can work on things in training.... oh I don't know, what about trying to pass to each other, why not try and play a forward pass at least somewhere in the vincinty of a team mate... while Marti makes the sandwiches and the tea for the lads....
Hull Reflection on 07:32 - Oct 2 with 5024 viewsthehat

We are starting to look like Beal's team in his last five games playing a system that has been worked out by the opposition and not being able to change it with a Plan B.

We have been pretty poor all season thus far so we need to change and quickly. We are very easy to play against and lack aggression in many areas.

Our workrate and shape without the ball is very poor.

Dunne needs to go back to right back to give us that out ball and we desperately need JCS and Colback back in the team.
[Post edited 2 Oct 7:59]
Hull Reflection on 07:35 - Oct 2 with 4995 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Hull Reflection on 23:15 - Oct 1 by Hunterhoop

Got to agree about the 4 behind Frey. I know Hevertton is getting grief on here, but I have never seen both full backs so isolated.
They were both consistently left 1 v 1 or overloaded. Shocking.

As for Dunne. I'm right behind the goal in the Upper Loft, and to say Dunne was targeted is an understatement, he is not a centre back at this level. Cook was giving him pelters several times as he lost his man.

Too many attacking players on the pitch.
Hull Reflection on 07:43 - Oct 2 with 4883 viewsdavman

I am worried after that. Expected soooooo much more this season, but we are in a relegation fight yet again. As others have said, ballers galore and no nasty grafters that we all know are needed in the Championship.

Apparently we are not allowed to criticise Marti, but last season is done now. It may not be HIS recruitment (which may be THE problem) and yes it is early days, but aside from Nardi, none of the signings have improved the first eleven.

My concern is that we have been universally poor for the last four games yet he sets the team up the same way and doesn't try anything different.

The team play with such little urgency you wonder if they are at all arsed with it all and STILL can't take throw ins.

Getting v worried...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Hull Reflection on 07:48 - Oct 2 with 4852 viewsGaryBannister86

It was the first time for ages and ages that I felt a bit of antagonism towards the team and possibly manager today, which considering the nonsense dished up at LR for years is quite something. It all feels a bit wrong when we surely have a good manager and the team, individually, seems better than last year.

Makes me remember that the fans do play their part. Although saying that usually winds me up when we have to put up with midfielders not bothering to defend or deciding to try and beat a man on the edge of their own box, facing their own goal, with six opposition players bearing down on him. Hardly our fault for not singing louder.

But hey, maybe we could use Celar as a trigger. Turn him into a cult hero. "He's one of our own" - because (sadly) so far he looks like one of us out on the pitch. A huge flag singing his praises, some kind of chant, huge roars whenever he comes on the pitch. Celebrations when he does a lay off or heads towards goal, even if yards wide.

A gently tongue in cheek effort that is actually not designed to take the proverbial but get behind the lad and see if he can offer us anything.

Because until the next window, we need him, and badly. Somehow, he needs to get up and running. We all know he is probably one more appearance like that from really becoming the Boo Boys' favourite target and that never ends well.

There were, at least, a couple of lay offs and headers won yesterday. That opportunity he bungled though, not so good.
[Post edited 2 Oct 7:49]
Hull Reflection on 08:04 - Oct 2 with 4664 viewsthehat

Hull Reflection on 07:48 - Oct 2 by GaryBannister86

It was the first time for ages and ages that I felt a bit of antagonism towards the team and possibly manager today, which considering the nonsense dished up at LR for years is quite something. It all feels a bit wrong when we surely have a good manager and the team, individually, seems better than last year.

Makes me remember that the fans do play their part. Although saying that usually winds me up when we have to put up with midfielders not bothering to defend or deciding to try and beat a man on the edge of their own box, facing their own goal, with six opposition players bearing down on him. Hardly our fault for not singing louder.

But hey, maybe we could use Celar as a trigger. Turn him into a cult hero. "He's one of our own" - because (sadly) so far he looks like one of us out on the pitch. A huge flag singing his praises, some kind of chant, huge roars whenever he comes on the pitch. Celebrations when he does a lay off or heads towards goal, even if yards wide.

A gently tongue in cheek effort that is actually not designed to take the proverbial but get behind the lad and see if he can offer us anything.

Because until the next window, we need him, and badly. Somehow, he needs to get up and running. We all know he is probably one more appearance like that from really becoming the Boo Boys' favourite target and that never ends well.

There were, at least, a couple of lay offs and headers won yesterday. That opportunity he bungled though, not so good.
[Post edited 2 Oct 7:49]

Celar is not a lone striker he needs to play in a two. So if that is the case why did we sign him when our prefered system is a lone striker.

Maybe we need to try Alfie Lloyd in that position as it is his natural position after all and at least he has the physical attributes and some pace.
Hull Reflection on 08:04 - Oct 2 with 4660 viewsPaddyhoops

Hull Reflection on 00:28 - Oct 2 by Northernr

The big disappointment for me is every Hull game this season they've looked very vulnerable from their corners.

They put all 10 in the box. Stick one bloke on the centre spot and you're one headed clearance away from a one on one with their goalkeeper.

This all feels like an easy sum to me. Instead we've conceded from two of their corners, and really should have conceded from a third in the second half.

That set up didn't work. Santos v Millar (best player on the pitch when we played PNE last season) didn't work. And yet we kept doing it.

Felt like a game there for the winning, and we almost deliberately played into everything they wanted us to do.

A bizarre night.

I’m still gobsmacked at the idea we left our worst defender on their best attacker.
If we can see it surely they can .
Hull Reflection on 08:08 - Oct 2 with 4616 viewsGus_iom

7 players were involved (on the pitch at some stage) yesterday who had no championship experience prior to the start of this season, while another 3 had very limited experience. That's a lot of churn and a lot of adjusting to do in a short space of time.
Hull Reflection on 08:16 - Oct 2 with 4528 viewsEastR

Hull Reflection on 00:28 - Oct 2 by Northernr

A bizarre night.

Completely agree. Just like Millwall they said 'we're going to play our game', and we said ok then, after you
We're too lightweight and completely lack any kind of aggression. Every team in the Championship would fancy their chances against us at the moment, especially at home

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024