Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? 11:44 - Jul 10 with 2846 viewsAnotherJohn

The above is the Senedd's latest wheeze.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/librarians-told-to-challenge-paradigm-of-w

Somebody is obviously interested in a "paradigm shift", but I wonder how many MSs have read Thomas Kuhn. Personally I would rather challenge the world view where corruption is tolerated, and the race card is accepted as a "get out of jail free" card.
Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 12:13 - Jul 10 with 1159 viewsFlashberryjack

What an absolute load of old bollox, how do the people of Wales tolerate being ruled by these clowns.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 12:26 - Jul 10 with 1142 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 13:00 - Jul 10 with 1122 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

About 93 percent of Wales is white, therefore this is purely political nonsense

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 13:09 - Jul 10 with 1111 viewsGwyn737

I don't really understand what a lot of that is on about and there's a big risk to using oversimple terms and lumping people together. I really don't like these made up words and terms.

But...

It reminds me of the song and dance when the National Trust pointed out some uncomfortable facts about how many of it's properties were founded and funded. To me it seems just truthful to point out that those who made fortunes in sugar/cotton etc. did so in a way that we would see as unethical today.

If it's saying that libraries need to have a range books that reflect the experiences of those who lived it that's fine.

Unfortunately, it doesn't come across that way from the article.
Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 13:12 - Jul 10 with 1115 viewsWingstandwood

Wow £130,000 to waste! I

A very close relative of mine ran two clinics for Swansea Bay University Health Board, was part of the three member clinical (not admin!) team/delagation that used to compare notes with the brightest and best from here, there and everywhere when traveling to 'conference' in Dublin etc.

Her opinion on this nonsense, this dung-heap of pseudo-science, this psychobabble, this absolute poison, this quackery manufactured by imbeciles to cater for other imbeciles so that parasites can line their pockets to virtue signal?

Her opinion word for word i.e. “A LOAD OF SH1T”. But don't worry folks some public sector pen-pusher, white collar waste-of-space or university academic outside of medical proffesion will hail its importance.

Argus!

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 15:17 - Jul 10 with 1061 viewsBoundy

"Local councils are expected to tackle statues of contested historical figures as part of this plan, possibly by removing or hiding them."

Museums and galleries are also expected to set the “right historical” narrative and address colonialism, no matter how tenuous their links to empire "

All this bullsh*t reminds me of Germany in the 30s when all their anti semitic crap created a perfect storm culminating in Kristallnacht. My white privilege my arse .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 16:12 - Jul 10 with 1030 viewsWingstandwood

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 15:17 - Jul 10 by Boundy

"Local councils are expected to tackle statues of contested historical figures as part of this plan, possibly by removing or hiding them."

Museums and galleries are also expected to set the “right historical” narrative and address colonialism, no matter how tenuous their links to empire "

All this bullsh*t reminds me of Germany in the 30s when all their anti semitic crap created a perfect storm culminating in Kristallnacht. My white privilege my arse .

Could you imagine if the yokels in Cardiff Bay were as keen to repair or replace that impossible to sit in broken seat in Morriston A+E as they were to wasting money on a load of absolute b0llocks.

Argus!

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 16:45 - Jul 10 with 1009 viewsSullutaCreturned

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 12:13 - Jul 10 by Flashberryjack

What an absolute load of old bollox, how do the people of Wales tolerate being ruled by these clowns.

Critical whiteness studies? WTF?

And they want to create new historic narratives, maybe they could try just telling the truth. I know that's been a strange concept to politicians but tell the real history in all its gory nastiness, the real facts and then let people learn and hopefully understand.

They used to call it critical thinking!
Login to get fewer ads

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 17:02 - Jul 10 with 996 viewsWingstandwood

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 16:45 - Jul 10 by SullutaCreturned

Critical whiteness studies? WTF?

And they want to create new historic narratives, maybe they could try just telling the truth. I know that's been a strange concept to politicians but tell the real history in all its gory nastiness, the real facts and then let people learn and hopefully understand.

They used to call it critical thinking!

Next up a visit from the 'purest of the pure' Robin Diangelo who will be paid thousands for an hour or two lecture involving her own sanctimony and hot-air to tell decent people what sinners they are by their very birth.

Seriously many sections of Western society have become a never-ending April Fool day!

Argus!

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 17:06 - Jul 10 with 986 viewsonehunglow

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 17:02 - Jul 10 by Wingstandwood

Next up a visit from the 'purest of the pure' Robin Diangelo who will be paid thousands for an hour or two lecture involving her own sanctimony and hot-air to tell decent people what sinners they are by their very birth.

Seriously many sections of Western society have become a never-ending April Fool day!

Just where are we going Wingy?
Burning Hell ,I’d suggest

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 17:29 - Jul 10 with 974 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 13:09 - Jul 10 by Gwyn737

I don't really understand what a lot of that is on about and there's a big risk to using oversimple terms and lumping people together. I really don't like these made up words and terms.

But...

It reminds me of the song and dance when the National Trust pointed out some uncomfortable facts about how many of it's properties were founded and funded. To me it seems just truthful to point out that those who made fortunes in sugar/cotton etc. did so in a way that we would see as unethical today.

If it's saying that libraries need to have a range books that reflect the experiences of those who lived it that's fine.

Unfortunately, it doesn't come across that way from the article.

It’s also truthful to point out that Africans, Asians, South Americans, Arabs and pretty much all other peoples in this world have also at some point engaged in and benefited from all sorts of nefarious and unethical practises. Many continue to do so today.

Nobody ever seems to want to point that out though.

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 17:37 - Jul 10 with 964 viewshowenjack

Museums and galleries are also expected to set the “right historical” narrative and address colonialism, no matter how tenuous their links to empire.

The Right historical narrative being what exactly ?? History literally means His Story . You can't replace past events on a whim and replace them with actors/ characters who were not there and who played no part in Welsh history. It's absolute gobbledegook.. Or furthermore to suggest that an 19th century miner in Blaenavon or an ironworker in Merthyr is somehow responsible for what happened thousands of miles away in India or the West Indies. Does the white privilege spoken of extend to the miner dying prematurely from the dust ? or the Splashed furnaceman dying a horrible death while his wife and children face starvation?

In CILIP’s call for a training provider, it states that “library staff will be encouraged to see their diverse collections as powerful community tools” which can be used for “co-producing new historic narratives”. That sounds very much like an attempt to rewrite history to me and any academic worth his salt would confine it to the dustbin.
Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 19:11 - Jul 10 with 921 viewsBoundy

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 16:12 - Jul 10 by Wingstandwood

Could you imagine if the yokels in Cardiff Bay were as keen to repair or replace that impossible to sit in broken seat in Morriston A+E as they were to wasting money on a load of absolute b0llocks.

That's beyond anyone's imagination

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 19:45 - Jul 10 with 908 viewsSullutaCreturned

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 19:11 - Jul 10 by Boundy

That's beyond anyone's imagination

Having seen the story about Blythyin and Gething today, it seems like he has quite the imagination!
Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 20:24 - Jul 10 with 889 viewsGwyn737

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 17:29 - Jul 10 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

It’s also truthful to point out that Africans, Asians, South Americans, Arabs and pretty much all other peoples in this world have also at some point engaged in and benefited from all sorts of nefarious and unethical practises. Many continue to do so today.

Nobody ever seems to want to point that out though.

Absolutely.

But in this case we’re talking about out libraries/museums/statues.

As Car said earlier, they key is it’s truthful.
Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 20:45 - Jul 10 with 878 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 20:24 - Jul 10 by Gwyn737

Absolutely.

But in this case we’re talking about out libraries/museums/statues.

As Car said earlier, they key is it’s truthful.

Thing is no human being who has ever lived has lived the perfect life. For any historical figure you can easily make a case as to why their statue should be pulled down. Gandhi of course was a massive racist and coerced young girls (some of whom were children) to sleep naked with him so he could test his chastity. Nelson Mandela founded the spear of the nation group which was responsible for numerous terrorist attacks over many decades. Both are revered and rightly so but they both did some pretty despicable things.

Where does it all end? What right does anyone today have to judge the moral standards of great people from history when we ourselves are arguably the most immoral society of the lot?

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 20:50 - Jul 10 with 874 viewsBoundy

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 19:45 - Jul 10 by SullutaCreturned

Having seen the story about Blythyin and Gething today, it seems like he has quite the imagination!

He's taken smugness to another level

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 20:53 - Jul 10 with 858 viewsWingstandwood

Argus!

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 20:57 - Jul 10 with 839 viewsGwyn737

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 20:45 - Jul 10 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Thing is no human being who has ever lived has lived the perfect life. For any historical figure you can easily make a case as to why their statue should be pulled down. Gandhi of course was a massive racist and coerced young girls (some of whom were children) to sleep naked with him so he could test his chastity. Nelson Mandela founded the spear of the nation group which was responsible for numerous terrorist attacks over many decades. Both are revered and rightly so but they both did some pretty despicable things.

Where does it all end? What right does anyone today have to judge the moral standards of great people from history when we ourselves are arguably the most immoral society of the lot?

Again, I agree with you.

Libraries are the perfect place to reflect those nuances so that the truth is available.
Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 20:58 - Jul 10 with 840 viewsBoundy

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 20:53 - Jul 10 by Wingstandwood

Not much White privilege there and before anyone becomes offended I know full well the contribution made by the all nations in defeating Germany

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 21:03 - Jul 10 with 832 viewsonehunglow

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 20:58 - Jul 10 by Boundy

Not much White privilege there and before anyone becomes offended I know full well the contribution made by the all nations in defeating Germany

Religion offends me
Yet,we are told to respect it
On holiday ,some fella from Portcawl spoke to me in the pool about

Jesus and how he had saved his life he prayed for me,in the pool!
His son has played for the Ospreys

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 21:06 - Jul 10 with 834 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 20:57 - Jul 10 by Gwyn737

Again, I agree with you.

Libraries are the perfect place to reflect those nuances so that the truth is available.

Ah but writing the truth about Gandhi, Mandela, the Ashanti kingdom, the Arab slave trade, slavery in the Egyptian civilisation or the caste system across Southern Asia doesn’t do much to shift “the paradigm of whiteness” though does it?

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 21:13 - Jul 10 with 827 viewsGwyn737

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 21:06 - Jul 10 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Ah but writing the truth about Gandhi, Mandela, the Ashanti kingdom, the Arab slave trade, slavery in the Egyptian civilisation or the caste system across Southern Asia doesn’t do much to shift “the paradigm of whiteness” though does it?

As I said earlier, I don’t really know what that means.

If it just means making sure there isn’t too much revisionism of history I’m ok with it.

If it’s trumpeting critical race theory I’m not.
Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 21:22 - Jul 10 with 824 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

“ The Welsh Government’s Anti-racist Wales Action Plan states its purpose is to “make a measurable difference to the lives of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic people” and sets out a vision of an anti-racist Wales by 2030.”

If only they could formulate an action plan that makes a measurable difference to ALL the people of Wales. I mean it is literally their job,

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 21:23 - Jul 10 with 822 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Challenging the paradigm of whiteness? on 21:13 - Jul 10 by Gwyn737

As I said earlier, I don’t really know what that means.

If it just means making sure there isn’t too much revisionism of history I’m ok with it.

If it’s trumpeting critical race theory I’m not.

It is absolutely trumpeting critical race theory.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024