Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dev Squad v Cov U-21's 18:47 - Aug 21 with 23950 viewsBrianMcCarthy

7.00pm k.o.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 16:12 - Aug 29 with 3645 viewsRBlock

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 16:02 - Aug 29 by dmm

That was some game by our lads but as I said, I suspect the Posh U21s are a weak team.

I hope we get good highlights on the offy because, not only are the goals worth seeing - especially Kolli's, but the whole team performance was excellent.

Definitely a weakened team. Peterborough are playing in the EFL Cup tonight so a lot of their more experienced/capable players likely involved in that fixture so omitted here.
Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 16:19 - Aug 29 with 3591 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 16:12 - Aug 29 by RBlock

Definitely a weakened team. Peterborough are playing in the EFL Cup tonight so a lot of their more experienced/capable players likely involved in that fixture so omitted here.

Don't spoil it!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 16:43 - Aug 29 with 3429 viewsDoudou87

Did JCS pull out for injury reasons?

Poll: Preferred rumoured CB

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 16:53 - Aug 29 with 3365 viewsderbyhoop

Top of the table. 3 wins out of 3. 14 scored, 5 against

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 17:16 - Aug 29 with 3245 viewsdmm

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 16:12 - Aug 29 by RBlock

Okay but it should be said that for us, only Adomah could be viewed as a proper first team player - and he is well down the pecking order now. Larkeche has yet to establish himself, Aoraha, Duke-McKenna, Kolli, Pedder and Kelman, who all played today, have only done bits and pieces in the first team. It really was our development side today.
Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 17:35 - Aug 29 with 3149 viewsLazyFan

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 16:43 - Aug 29 by Doudou87

Did JCS pull out for injury reasons?

JCS going for that Matty Rose award this season.

Please note while Rose was not injured that much over many days, the problem was that he was injured on and off. This resulted in him displacing the defensive lineup constantly. And a defence needs to act as a complete unit to shut out teams, so, this constant in-out by Rose caused all sorts of problems.

This is what we are starting to see with JCSs in-out. Hence, the attempt at this year's Rose award!

I see Dykes is coming back now that Scotland have a game. Funny that.

I expect to see Willock after Friday's deadline, too. Possibly starting against Boro even, as he will have something to prove if they do not shell out the £2m.

zzzzzzzzzz

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 17:39 - Aug 29 with 3142 viewsSK_hoops

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 17:35 - Aug 29 by LazyFan

JCS going for that Matty Rose award this season.

Please note while Rose was not injured that much over many days, the problem was that he was injured on and off. This resulted in him displacing the defensive lineup constantly. And a defence needs to act as a complete unit to shut out teams, so, this constant in-out by Rose caused all sorts of problems.

This is what we are starting to see with JCSs in-out. Hence, the attempt at this year's Rose award!

I see Dykes is coming back now that Scotland have a game. Funny that.

I expect to see Willock after Friday's deadline, too. Possibly starting against Boro even, as he will have something to prove if they do not shell out the £2m.

I'd say JCS was more of a Mickey Flanagan style out-out.

I also, won't have a word said against Dykes coming back from injury - he came back last season after pneumonia. Also, I'm no Scotland fan, but it's good to see players who are really up for playing for their country imo.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 17:41]
Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 17:49 - Aug 29 with 3105 viewsnix

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 17:39 - Aug 29 by SK_hoops

I'd say JCS was more of a Mickey Flanagan style out-out.

I also, won't have a word said against Dykes coming back from injury - he came back last season after pneumonia. Also, I'm no Scotland fan, but it's good to see players who are really up for playing for their country imo.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 17:41]

Exactly this.

Dykes has consistently given his all even when other players had downed tools. Even those who don't like him shouldn't be doubting his commitment. He has only missed two weeks after a horrible tackle in the cup game, and apparently almost made the Southampton game but I suspect they have to be careful with his rehab as we're not exactly overflowing with forwards.
Login to get fewer ads

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 22:33 - Aug 29 with 2608 viewsHAYESBOY

Nice.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 23:15 - Aug 29 with 2502 viewsBoston

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 15:45 - Aug 29 by connell10

Up the Posh!!

Yeah, he scored for Salford earlier.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 09:56 - Aug 30 with 2048 viewsterryb

I'm beginning to think that in the Warburton/Beale disagreement over the academy both sides were right (and wrong)!

The "older" players were not good enough for the first team squad, but it could be that the lower age range might have a few players that are far better.

How many of them become regulars for Rangers is questionable, but it could be that some of them manage to make a living as a professional footballer in League One & Two. That would be a major advance!
Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 10:05 - Aug 30 with 2024 viewsEsox_Lucius

It might be a bit premature but all the work Ferdinand put into getting the academy developed, and bringing the right coaches in, appears to bearing fruit. EEEP means we will always be dealing with those youngsters that haven't been hoovered up by the moneybags Cat A sides in the EPL but it is definitely looking promising with the current crop. The U18's are going really well too. Entering some of the "grown up" competitions such as the Middlesex Senior Cup etc. wouldn't harm their progress either IMO.

The grass is always greener.

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 10:06 - Aug 30 with 2020 viewsterryb

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 23:15 - Aug 29 by Boston

Yeah, he scored for Salford earlier.

I'm certainly not a fan of Salford (unlike Sky), but it was enjoyable to watch the penalty shootout. Poor old Leeds! Especially as the winning one had to be retaken after being saved. Mind you, the 'keeper was a yard off his line!

I assume that our hero had been substituted as he wasn't one of Salford's ten penalty takers.
Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 10:43 - Aug 30 with 1861 viewsRBlock

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 17:16 - Aug 29 by dmm

Okay but it should be said that for us, only Adomah could be viewed as a proper first team player - and he is well down the pecking order now. Larkeche has yet to establish himself, Aoraha, Duke-McKenna, Kolli, Pedder and Kelman, who all played today, have only done bits and pieces in the first team. It really was our development side today.

It's a development squad though, it's not meant to be for proper first team players. This is a big issue for our academy, that we don't get rid of players who are clearly never going to make the grade and this blocks pathways for younger players. Running 7 goals through a really depleted Peterborough side is not the marker of a good academy and we'd do well not to get too carried away with the result.

For some statistics to prove the point, Peterborough made 11 changes from their last development squad game and had an average age of 18.73, as all their best players travelled to the EFL cup game. QPR on the other hand had an average age of 22.22. By November, that whole starting XI will be over 20. We are absolutely the outlier in this, with most teams not having 20 year olds still playing academy football.

I'm not trying to piss on anyone's chips, and Kolli looks a real talent, but yesterday's result is nothing to write home about and we're still making the same mistakes with our development squad, not jettisoning players who aren't going to make the grade.
Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 10:53 - Aug 30 with 1811 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 10:43 - Aug 30 by RBlock

It's a development squad though, it's not meant to be for proper first team players. This is a big issue for our academy, that we don't get rid of players who are clearly never going to make the grade and this blocks pathways for younger players. Running 7 goals through a really depleted Peterborough side is not the marker of a good academy and we'd do well not to get too carried away with the result.

For some statistics to prove the point, Peterborough made 11 changes from their last development squad game and had an average age of 18.73, as all their best players travelled to the EFL cup game. QPR on the other hand had an average age of 22.22. By November, that whole starting XI will be over 20. We are absolutely the outlier in this, with most teams not having 20 year olds still playing academy football.

I'm not trying to piss on anyone's chips, and Kolli looks a real talent, but yesterday's result is nothing to write home about and we're still making the same mistakes with our development squad, not jettisoning players who aren't going to make the grade.

All very good points, RBlock, and you clearly know your stuff about the Youths and Under-21's.

I'd add two points, neither agreeing or disagreeing, but just to add to the discussion:

1) I like that we have a team where first-team players who're not getting ninety minutes can play. Yesterday, Koli got the second half, for example. That should keep him sharp. This is what the old reserves team used to be for. It also helps young lads to play beside older players who step into the stiffs for a game now and then, and

2) I was impressed with how welll coached they were, even - and I agree with you on this, and said the same yesterday - even allowing for the oppo. We had tempo, work-rate, harrassing, quick on the ball, support play and were very positive from the very first minute. It's been a while since I've been so impressed with how well coached any Rangers team has been, and credit must go to all involved.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 11:55 - Aug 30 with 1623 viewsnix

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 10:53 - Aug 30 by BrianMcCarthy

All very good points, RBlock, and you clearly know your stuff about the Youths and Under-21's.

I'd add two points, neither agreeing or disagreeing, but just to add to the discussion:

1) I like that we have a team where first-team players who're not getting ninety minutes can play. Yesterday, Koli got the second half, for example. That should keep him sharp. This is what the old reserves team used to be for. It also helps young lads to play beside older players who step into the stiffs for a game now and then, and

2) I was impressed with how welll coached they were, even - and I agree with you on this, and said the same yesterday - even allowing for the oppo. We had tempo, work-rate, harrassing, quick on the ball, support play and were very positive from the very first minute. It's been a while since I've been so impressed with how well coached any Rangers team has been, and credit must go to all involved.

I agree Brian.

I would also add that development squads at our level are realistically not about getting everyone to the point of being a first team player. I'm not sure even Chelsea or Man City manage that and they've got vastly more resources than us.

I'm pretty sure that even getting a couple of players through justifies the cost: I bet Kakay and Armstrong are much cheaper in terms of not having to pay signing on fees and massive wages, for instance, than Moses Odubajo or Andre Gray and Chair and Willock have got us through the last few seasons, not to mention Eze keeping us financially afloat. I know they were older when they came to us but they needed that infrastructure to benefit from in order to improve.

Given that it makes sense to have a mixture of experience and potential at development squad level, if only so the younger players can learn from the older ones, so there's going to be a massive attrition rate. It's just getting the balance right. It doesn't seem to me that the older players are blocking the younger ones: if they're good enough - like Murphy and Hawkins last season and Kolli this season - it seems to me they get a chance to play.
Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 12:06 - Aug 30 with 1567 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

The development squad is being used exactly how it should be now. A chance for 18 and 19 year olds to push on, keep 1st team players sharp who are coming back from injury or didnt come off the bench. Plus some 21/22 year olds in the last chance saloon.

Having Adomah in that group, passing on experience, seeing his attitude etc is invaluable for youngsters.

I dont understand some complaining about 21 and 22 year olds playing who might not make it. You need 16 players, not all are going to make it, but you cant play if they are not there.
Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 12:47 - Aug 30 with 1403 viewsnumptydumpty

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 22:33 - Aug 29 by HAYESBOY

Nice.

Wow !!!

Think we got a talent with Armstrong but Kolli is three years younger than Sinclair.

Whatever level you playing at, to have the ability to score goals like this at any level is absolute mustard !!!

Can't be real, surely...

Fifa - sequence...

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 13:07 - Aug 30 with 1324 viewsderbyhoop

The 2nd one shown was better than the 1st. At senior level, the keeper would defo save the 1st. Not sure they'd get close to the 2nd.

Kolli has got a strike on him.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 13:40 - Aug 30 with 1194 viewslave16

Dev Squad v Cov U-21's on 12:06 - Aug 30 by Wilkinswatercarrier

The development squad is being used exactly how it should be now. A chance for 18 and 19 year olds to push on, keep 1st team players sharp who are coming back from injury or didnt come off the bench. Plus some 21/22 year olds in the last chance saloon.

Having Adomah in that group, passing on experience, seeing his attitude etc is invaluable for youngsters.

I dont understand some complaining about 21 and 22 year olds playing who might not make it. You need 16 players, not all are going to make it, but you cant play if they are not there.

Just wondering - is there a chance we could be the first team to launch a full team with double barrelled surnames

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024