Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread 11:25 - Jun 18 with 32341 viewsBlackCrowe

I've got 100% win record so what could go wrong (i've done it once before)

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 17:49 - Jun 20 with 1720 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 17:45 - Jun 20 by EmpireStateRanger

Eze was so far better than everyone else on the pitch today that I'm very worried about our ability to creating opportunities without him. Going to have to reinvest whatever money we get for him very wisely if he's off.

I'll try to hold off on judgments until the team gets a couple more chances to knock off some rust, but the cupboard looked very bare today.

I thought Eze was ineffective and uninvolved for most of that match, but I get your broader point.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 17:49 - Jun 20 with 1716 viewsManinBlack

It is true Barnsley had more to play for than us but you could say all the opponents we have to face for the rest of the season have more at stake. This really could fizzle out and painful to watch if we have the attitude our season ended in March.
Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 17:52 - Jun 20 with 1696 viewsqprd

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 17:45 - Jun 20 by EmpireStateRanger

Eze was so far better than everyone else on the pitch today that I'm very worried about our ability to creating opportunities without him. Going to have to reinvest whatever money we get for him very wisely if he's off.

I'll try to hold off on judgments until the team gets a couple more chances to knock off some rust, but the cupboard looked very bare today.

I disagree empire

Eze was the best player on the pitch when he got on the ball, but he was basically a passenger the entire match. Fair or not, we expect him to do what he did at hull, or vs Derby: control the game rather than provide a flickering moments of genius

Bright was our best player and shodipo gets a gold star for his work rate... he’s been in and out of the team, and is basically fighting for his career, and it showed
Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 17:57 - Jun 20 with 1678 viewsPhilmyRs

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 17:49 - Jun 20 by BrianMcCarthy

I thought Eze was ineffective and uninvolved for most of that match, but I get your broader point.

Agree first half 100%, despite a few decent moments he was generally very quiet on the pitch. Second half I thought he stood up and tried to win us the points. He probably stood out more because everyone else were shocking but that pass to get Hugil through on goal was tasty while despite missing the target getting his shot away and nearly hitting the top corner was as close as we got and you could see the frustration on his face after he missed. He cared. Not a difficult contest but he’d be my MOTM for us. Quite a few candidates for them though.
Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 17:59 - Jun 20 with 1672 viewskarl

Clutching at straws and only listened to radio commentary but with the intensive nature of the games coming up is there a chance our fitness coaches have geared the squad up to peaking a little later?
We've apparently a very small pool of players and it may be we only see the players reach fitness at game 3 but continue that through till season end whereas having hammered the players and going into this game full bore could have us flagging in a game or two.
Just a different viewpoint, no idea if reality,
Playing the bottom team first might have made this seem an easier path for this tactic too
Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 18:01 - Jun 20 with 1668 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 17:59 - Jun 20 by karl

Clutching at straws and only listened to radio commentary but with the intensive nature of the games coming up is there a chance our fitness coaches have geared the squad up to peaking a little later?
We've apparently a very small pool of players and it may be we only see the players reach fitness at game 3 but continue that through till season end whereas having hammered the players and going into this game full bore could have us flagging in a game or two.
Just a different viewpoint, no idea if reality,
Playing the bottom team first might have made this seem an easier path for this tactic too

Sorry, Karl, but you are clutching at straws I think.

We were 6 points off the playoffs. We had to go, as Linford Christie used to say, on the b of the bang.

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 18:04 - Jun 20 with 1642 viewsplasmahoop

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 17:52 - Jun 20 by qprd

I disagree empire

Eze was the best player on the pitch when he got on the ball, but he was basically a passenger the entire match. Fair or not, we expect him to do what he did at hull, or vs Derby: control the game rather than provide a flickering moments of genius

Bright was our best player and shodipo gets a gold star for his work rate... he’s been in and out of the team, and is basically fighting for his career, and it showed

Bright did some good things, but faded into anonymity as the match wore on. Eze was still in the game until the end. Shodipo did well though, it was alarming in the sense that he was hungry and the others were not
Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 18:17 - Jun 20 with 1592 viewskarl

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 18:01 - Jun 20 by BrianMcCarthy

Sorry, Karl, but you are clutching at straws I think.

We were 6 points off the playoffs. We had to go, as Linford Christie used to say, on the b of the bang.

If it was up to me yes I agree, would have done the same, and been ready to win this game and take our chances with each game as they come.
It's just by the sounds of it we were quite a way off the pace and that's poor from a professional sports team of any kind if we intended to be at full fitness today.
It is just an alternative view and hoping there is a reason for it.
To be fair Paul Mortimer was more highlighting the tempo the players were playing at was too slack and we have been guilty of that for large parts of games earlier in season, when we get the tempo right we can beat anyone and its probably a player who has that ability to dictate it who we need rather than relying on incidents in the game or the crowd (obviously not just now) to get that spark from the players
[Post edited 20 Jun 2020 18:19]
Login to get fewer ads

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 18:23 - Jun 20 with 1543 views2Thomas2Bowles

Too many excuses being made.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 18:26 - Jun 20 with 1549 viewskarl

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 18:23 - Jun 20 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Too many excuses being made.

I'm assuming in interviews as there's no one, other than my devil's advocate point, giving any on here.
Wouldnt want management to throw anyone under a bus after one game back either, b0ll0ckings can be done behind the scenes.
Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 18:40 - Jun 20 with 1501 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 18:17 - Jun 20 by karl

If it was up to me yes I agree, would have done the same, and been ready to win this game and take our chances with each game as they come.
It's just by the sounds of it we were quite a way off the pace and that's poor from a professional sports team of any kind if we intended to be at full fitness today.
It is just an alternative view and hoping there is a reason for it.
To be fair Paul Mortimer was more highlighting the tempo the players were playing at was too slack and we have been guilty of that for large parts of games earlier in season, when we get the tempo right we can beat anyone and its probably a player who has that ability to dictate it who we need rather than relying on incidents in the game or the crowd (obviously not just now) to get that spark from the players
[Post edited 20 Jun 2020 18:19]

Very fair points.

I think the problem about midfield being stretched was exacerbated if not caused by Hugill's inability to hold up the ball. This is why qprd was calling for Oteh to come on so that we could use his pace. We could then hit our out balls to the channels and hopefully move the lines up the pitch in that manner. That would have sorted out the tempo.

The fitness issue is worrying because it's hard to build fitness between games. on another thread someone said the responsibility lies with the fitness coaches. While I agree with that every athlete is ultimately responsible for their own fitness. In his post-match comments Warburton commended Shodipo for coming back in great condition, and also for being determined to stake a claim. The two are related. the converse may well apply to a few of the previously established first-team players.

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 18:49 - Jun 20 with 1460 viewskarl

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 18:40 - Jun 20 by BrianMcCarthy

Very fair points.

I think the problem about midfield being stretched was exacerbated if not caused by Hugill's inability to hold up the ball. This is why qprd was calling for Oteh to come on so that we could use his pace. We could then hit our out balls to the channels and hopefully move the lines up the pitch in that manner. That would have sorted out the tempo.

The fitness issue is worrying because it's hard to build fitness between games. on another thread someone said the responsibility lies with the fitness coaches. While I agree with that every athlete is ultimately responsible for their own fitness. In his post-match comments Warburton commended Shodipo for coming back in great condition, and also for being determined to stake a claim. The two are related. the converse may well apply to a few of the previously established first-team players.

Yes, very telling that MW has said that Brian.
Hughill has always frustrated me and then follows up with a good game to kind of make you think again.
However Mortimer was saying the defence was sitting too deep and this created the disconnect between midfield and forward line, the early goal wouldn't help that fear of coming higher up the pitch, particularly if it was a ball between the CBs?
A proper football discussion, at least that's one good thing today!
Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 18:51 - Jun 20 with 1451 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 18:26 - Jun 20 by karl

I'm assuming in interviews as there's no one, other than my devil's advocate point, giving any on here.
Wouldnt want management to throw anyone under a bus after one game back either, b0ll0ckings can be done behind the scenes.

I agree, I don’t think were that bad. Just ineffective. Thought the second half was better, but again we were never going to to score if we played until next Saturday. Compared to Preston in March (?) this was a very un QPR like performance. I thought the workrate was there just not the brains.

Getting the notion of Playoffs out of the way will be good for Oteh and Bettache etc.

Great point about timing fitness. If we would have won today and then peaked in three games time we’d be calling Warburton a genius.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2020 19:02]
Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 18:58 - Jun 20 with 1426 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 18:49 - Jun 20 by karl

Yes, very telling that MW has said that Brian.
Hughill has always frustrated me and then follows up with a good game to kind of make you think again.
However Mortimer was saying the defence was sitting too deep and this created the disconnect between midfield and forward line, the early goal wouldn't help that fear of coming higher up the pitch, particularly if it was a ball between the CBs?
A proper football discussion, at least that's one good thing today!

Agree with Mortimer about the defensive line being too deep, but I think they're all linked - if Hugill had held the ball up the midfield would have moved up as a unit and the backs would have moved up with them. If the backs moved up unilaterally and aggressively without us being in control of the ball we'd have got done with long balls as Barnsley were ceding possession and looking to hit over us or through us with third-man runners e.g. the goal.

Mortimer sounds like a good co-commentator with tactical ideas as opposed to the usual lads who just repeat everything that just happened but never why it happened?

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 19:07 - Jun 20 with 1388 viewskarl

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 18:58 - Jun 20 by BrianMcCarthy

Agree with Mortimer about the defensive line being too deep, but I think they're all linked - if Hugill had held the ball up the midfield would have moved up as a unit and the backs would have moved up with them. If the backs moved up unilaterally and aggressively without us being in control of the ball we'd have got done with long balls as Barnsley were ceding possession and looking to hit over us or through us with third-man runners e.g. the goal.

Mortimer sounds like a good co-commentator with tactical ideas as opposed to the usual lads who just repeat everything that just happened but never why it happened?

First time I've heard him Brian and given what was being said on the match thread he seemed to be in tune with everyone else, did have proper analysis about why certain things were happening and what should be done. Was impressed as him and commentator were a good team.

Bazza, hopefully we go on a 7 game winning streak to prove to us all what experts they are!
Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 19:12 - Jun 20 with 1362 viewsManinBlack

To be fair to our insipid performance today, what I have seen on TV so far has been little better.

The Villa 0-0 with Sheffield was dull. Norwich were abysmal against Southampton. I was not overly impressed with the Spurs v United game. The Watford v Leicester game was only good in stoppage time and from what I hear the West Brom v Brum game was woeful. It took 84 minutes for Brum to have a shot.

The Fulham v Brentford game was goalless until the 88th minute and I am suffering watching the West Ham v Wolves game which has been poor until Wolves scored in the 73rd minute. Interesting fact is this is Wolves tenth away premiership game in London since promotion and they have not lost at all. Perhaps Nuno can show us the magic formula in how not to lose in London.

In fact five of the seven premiership games have been goalless at half time this week with only two goals scored. There seems to be a lack of pace and energy from most teams seen on TV so whether that is down to no crowds to spur them on, being ring rusty or easing themselves in for so many games over a short period of time I am not sure.

On this basis I can excuse our display today from what I have seen from others on the telly. Hardly surprising the best display has come from City with their riches.
Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 19:23 - Jun 20 with 1327 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 19:12 - Jun 20 by ManinBlack

To be fair to our insipid performance today, what I have seen on TV so far has been little better.

The Villa 0-0 with Sheffield was dull. Norwich were abysmal against Southampton. I was not overly impressed with the Spurs v United game. The Watford v Leicester game was only good in stoppage time and from what I hear the West Brom v Brum game was woeful. It took 84 minutes for Brum to have a shot.

The Fulham v Brentford game was goalless until the 88th minute and I am suffering watching the West Ham v Wolves game which has been poor until Wolves scored in the 73rd minute. Interesting fact is this is Wolves tenth away premiership game in London since promotion and they have not lost at all. Perhaps Nuno can show us the magic formula in how not to lose in London.

In fact five of the seven premiership games have been goalless at half time this week with only two goals scored. There seems to be a lack of pace and energy from most teams seen on TV so whether that is down to no crowds to spur them on, being ring rusty or easing themselves in for so many games over a short period of time I am not sure.

On this basis I can excuse our display today from what I have seen from others on the telly. Hardly surprising the best display has come from City with their riches.

Fair point, MIB. So far this weekend I watched Sevilla-Barca, 70 minutes of Fulham-Brentford and then our game. I saw one goal, lots of perspiration and very little inspiration.

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 19:30 - Jun 20 with 1298 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 19:07 - Jun 20 by karl

First time I've heard him Brian and given what was being said on the match thread he seemed to be in tune with everyone else, did have proper analysis about why certain things were happening and what should be done. Was impressed as him and commentator were a good team.

Bazza, hopefully we go on a 7 game winning streak to prove to us all what experts they are!

Good to hear that. Karl. Clinton Morrison was an 'expert' for the Fulham-Brentford game (along with Gary O'Neill ) and it was like listening to my 12-yr old nephew.

Good punditry is essential and really adds to the enjoyment.

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 19:37 - Jun 20 with 1277 viewsHantsR

I think one of the problems today, especially in the first half was that we were still assiduously observing social distance, allowing them a fairly free run at goal. Barnsley plainly flouted the government guidelines and should be penalised.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2020 6:45]
Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 19:40 - Jun 20 with 1259 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I couldn't really pin-point any blame in the game today. I didn't think we looked like a team at all. Barnsley looked like a team throughout and won because of that. Warburton passionate on the touchline doing the job of the fans.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 20:21 - Jun 20 with 1146 viewsBoston

Back in the days of the old School End terrace there would be a number of people watching the game from up on the top walkway of the flats. What if we’d never rebuilt that stand, hard to imagine what it would have been like today!
[Post edited 20 Jun 2020 20:24]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 21:02 - Jun 20 with 1068 viewsEmpireStateRanger

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 19:23 - Jun 20 by BrianMcCarthy

Fair point, MIB. So far this weekend I watched Sevilla-Barca, 70 minutes of Fulham-Brentford and then our game. I saw one goal, lots of perspiration and very little inspiration.

This is why I’m willing to let the team get a couple of matches in. Today’s match reminded me of Vienna and Boreham Wood, and yes, we should be miles ahead from where we were back in August, but we weren’t the only squad that looked shocking in our return to the pitch.

That said, I won’t be so dismissive if Charlton and Fulham take it to us.
Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 21:12 - Jun 20 with 1040 viewsHooparoo

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 21:02 - Jun 20 by EmpireStateRanger

This is why I’m willing to let the team get a couple of matches in. Today’s match reminded me of Vienna and Boreham Wood, and yes, we should be miles ahead from where we were back in August, but we weren’t the only squad that looked shocking in our return to the pitch.

That said, I won’t be so dismissive if Charlton and Fulham take it to us.

Another 8 pre season friendly performances to come I fear. The whole thing is farcical with no fans and piped music. Why the hell are we even bothering? The players are probably thinking the same.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 21:17 - Jun 20 with 1027 viewsManinBlack

I think we have to make allowances that clubs have only had about three weeks of training and a couple of hastily arranged friendlies before playing for real after a three month break. In a normal pre season period clubs would be ready to start competing on the first day of the season after having at least half a dozen friendlies or mini tournaments overseas like the big clubs like to do.

This unexpected break has seemed to highlight that some clubs have prepared better than others so fitness levels differ. It could well be that clubs in relegation bother like Charlton, Wigan and Barnsley have prepared harder for the restart than a club like us fairly safe mid table.

The reaction of Warburton to the resumption of the season suggests that he felt the season could be abandoned like the SPL and other divisions. We might have been lax during lock down if we thought the season could be over so lagging behind with fitness and psychology.

I mention the psychology part as losing 7-1 in a friendly suggests we have switched off and was damaging so we lose again to the team bottom of the table. I believe they were bottom when we shipped 5 at Oakwell. In contrast Brentford won 3-2 at Arsenal and then win at Fulham so confidence is a big factor and we damaged ours against the neighbours.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2020 21:23]
Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 21:25 - Jun 20 with 995 viewskensalriser

Right I'll do it - Barnsley Match Thread on 21:12 - Jun 20 by Hooparoo

Another 8 pre season friendly performances to come I fear. The whole thing is farcical with no fans and piped music. Why the hell are we even bothering? The players are probably thinking the same.

Why bother? If we'd won today, against the bottom team, we'd be four points from the playoffs with eight games left and everything to play for. The players should have been busting a gut, as Barnsley were.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024