Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sky's final big fat fck you of the season 17:07 - Apr 8 with 12747 viewsNorthernr

Final home game v Sheff Utd now Friday night.

Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 17:05 - Apr 12 with 1842 viewsrobith

Been working through it, but wow, that's my season done. Can't make any of the last games now.

Probably for the best given form
Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 10:03 - Apr 13 with 1550 viewsdaveB

Part of the problem is you have Jurgen Klopp yesterday calling out BT and the Premier League for daft kick off times and he just gets tons of stick from fans saying he should get on with it. Even when influential people like Klopp stand up to these fixtures being moved a lot of fans back the likes of Sky and BT, it's mad really
Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 10:16 - Apr 13 with 1527 viewsterryb

Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 10:03 - Apr 13 by daveB

Part of the problem is you have Jurgen Klopp yesterday calling out BT and the Premier League for daft kick off times and he just gets tons of stick from fans saying he should get on with it. Even when influential people like Klopp stand up to these fixtures being moved a lot of fans back the likes of Sky and BT, it's mad really

It's not mad really Dave.

Those fans who don't attend games are only interested in when it is convenient for them to watch on television. They also have no concept of how the date & kick off time can affect performance, not giving a flying xxxx for supporters that go to matches & how difficult it is to get to the ground.

Look at FA Cup kick off times & you can see that the BBC & ITV are just as guilty as SKY, BT, The FA, The Premier League & The EFL.

We don't count in their eyes as much as the television viewers & the revenue received from gambling companies (advertising & sponsorship).
Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 10:20 - Apr 13 with 1514 viewsdaveB

Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 10:16 - Apr 13 by terryb

It's not mad really Dave.

Those fans who don't attend games are only interested in when it is convenient for them to watch on television. They also have no concept of how the date & kick off time can affect performance, not giving a flying xxxx for supporters that go to matches & how difficult it is to get to the ground.

Look at FA Cup kick off times & you can see that the BBC & ITV are just as guilty as SKY, BT, The FA, The Premier League & The EFL.

We don't count in their eyes as much as the television viewers & the revenue received from gambling companies (advertising & sponsorship).

Television companies have to work to put programmes on at a time when more people will watch. I work for one of them so know how they think. The blame lies with the football authorities and clubs who sign upto this and sign their lives away. They could control when games in their competition are played. FIFA do it with the world cup, UEFA with champions league and Europa, all kick off times agreed months in advance and tv companies fit in with that. The Premier League and FA do it the other way and let Sky and BT etc dictate when the games are played as they are so poorly run that will all go out of business if these tv companies walked away
[Post edited 13 Apr 2022 10:21]
Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 10:23 - Apr 13 with 1490 viewsTheChef

Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 10:20 - Apr 13 by daveB

Television companies have to work to put programmes on at a time when more people will watch. I work for one of them so know how they think. The blame lies with the football authorities and clubs who sign upto this and sign their lives away. They could control when games in their competition are played. FIFA do it with the world cup, UEFA with champions league and Europa, all kick off times agreed months in advance and tv companies fit in with that. The Premier League and FA do it the other way and let Sky and BT etc dictate when the games are played as they are so poorly run that will all go out of business if these tv companies walked away

I think the one that annoys me most is when ITV moved the FA Cup final to a 5pm KO (probably to maximise ad exposure), but when the BBC got it back they kept the same KO time.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 10:40 - Apr 13 with 1460 viewsdaveB

Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 10:23 - Apr 13 by TheChef

I think the one that annoys me most is when ITV moved the FA Cup final to a 5pm KO (probably to maximise ad exposure), but when the BBC got it back they kept the same KO time.

I think the research showed more people will watch at 5pm than 3pm. The FA should have said on your bike but went along with it. Agree with you it was/is ridiculous
Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 11:13 - Apr 13 with 1417 viewsMyke

I think both terryb and daveB's points are very interesting. As an armchair fan, I was oblivious to the upset that last minute rescheduling had on fans attending games. Not that I didn't care, I just genuinely never thought about it, I just assumed they would go whenever the game was on. Was not taking into account work commitments, school nights or mid-week travelling at all. Sounds stupid now, but I just was unaware of the complete disruption to plans. And that is not even taking into account ST holders who have paid their hard earned cash and might still not get to see the game.
But if my (flimsy) excuse is ignorance, SKY don't even have that. They know full well, that they are causing a massive upheaval to travelling fans plans, and do it anyway. Which brings me onto to daveB's point, that SKY will only ride roughshod over the supporters because they are given a free rein to do so. Of course they want to change some games around as a surprise packet is in the running for promotion or a strong team is unexpectedly in a relegation fight. But if the EFL stood up to them and only allowed, say 3 games per club to be changed at relatively short notice and all other games announced BEFORE the season began (once the fixtures were published) then at least attending fans could plan their season.
The sick joke is that the Prem/clubs/EFL/SKY et al were lamenting the absence of fans during Covid lockdown, yet couldn't wait to shaft them when they came back.
Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 11:33 - Apr 13 with 1388 viewsNorthernr

Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 11:13 - Apr 13 by Myke

I think both terryb and daveB's points are very interesting. As an armchair fan, I was oblivious to the upset that last minute rescheduling had on fans attending games. Not that I didn't care, I just genuinely never thought about it, I just assumed they would go whenever the game was on. Was not taking into account work commitments, school nights or mid-week travelling at all. Sounds stupid now, but I just was unaware of the complete disruption to plans. And that is not even taking into account ST holders who have paid their hard earned cash and might still not get to see the game.
But if my (flimsy) excuse is ignorance, SKY don't even have that. They know full well, that they are causing a massive upheaval to travelling fans plans, and do it anyway. Which brings me onto to daveB's point, that SKY will only ride roughshod over the supporters because they are given a free rein to do so. Of course they want to change some games around as a surprise packet is in the running for promotion or a strong team is unexpectedly in a relegation fight. But if the EFL stood up to them and only allowed, say 3 games per club to be changed at relatively short notice and all other games announced BEFORE the season began (once the fixtures were published) then at least attending fans could plan their season.
The sick joke is that the Prem/clubs/EFL/SKY et al were lamenting the absence of fans during Covid lockdown, yet couldn't wait to shaft them when they came back.

The big ones for the travelling fans are when they move games requiring medium/long distance train travel at short notice, because the advance train tickets (themselves extortionate) sell out very quickly and the closer to the date you're booking the more you get rinsed.

Hypothetical example, watch how quickly this adds up...

Let's say we had Sheff Utd way two months from now, Saturday May 28. There are train tickets for that day available now at £23 each way. You can actually get that down further by going via Doncaster, where there are trains from London available for £15. So you can definitely do London to Sheffield at a reasonable time for £40 tops.

However... EMR (the Sheffield line) don't do refunds if you cancel your trip, even if you've got Covid, even if you want to move it to another day, because they're thieving cnts.

So, let's say Sky move this hypothetical game at less than 4 weeks notice, as they've just done to Sheff Utd coming to ours. Let's take a Saturday at that notice and look how much more it costs...

Saturday April 30, going up it's £43.50, and the trains with those are all showing "three seats left, five seats left" etc. Going back, there are still some 23s.

So now you're out £40 for your original booking, which you can't get refunded. If they've moved it to Friday, Sunday or Monday, that's gone. Then £66 for the actual trip on top of that. So straight away we've turned a trip we could potentially train for £30 into one that's costing £100 - each.

Let's then say that Sky move this game to 5.30pm, as they did with us at Blackpool, moving you out of reach of the last train home, or Monday night, as they did with us at Sheff Utd originally, or Friday night, as they did with Forest coming to ours.

Now you're forced to go back Sunday May 1. Nothing under £30 on the Sunday, most of them are £43.50 again, so that's added another £20 onto the return you'd have been paying the previous night.

You'll also be requiring a hotel, which even if you do TravelLodge or Premier Inn is going to set you back north of £50.

So here we are, we thought we were going to Sheff Utd on Saturday May 28 for £35 on the train, £25 match, let's say £50 for booze and food, £105.

Now we're going to Sheff Utd on Saturday April 30 and we're paying £126 for trains, £60 for a hotel, £25 for the match, probably more than the £50 for booze and food because you're there longer.

One Sky move from one Saturday 3pm to another Saturday at 5.30pm at a month's notice has turned your £105 trip to Sheffield into something rattling around the £250-300 mark. And that's each. So for our group, usually 4-6 people, you've gone from spending £400 going to Sheffield to potentially north of £1200.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Login to get fewer ads

Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 11:36 - Apr 13 with 1369 viewsTheChef

"The sick joke is that the Prem/clubs/EFL/SKY et al were lamenting the absence of fans during Covid lockdown, yet couldn't wait to shaft them when they came back."

Exactly that, irritatingly.

It's all about the money and nothing else.

Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 11:58 - Apr 13 with 1333 viewsdaveB

What I would say as a very weak defence of the tv companies is that travelling football fans are not their concern. They are looking to show as many games as they can, at times that suit their schedule and ensure the most viewers possible. How you get to the game, the costs etc is nothing to do with them their business is built around maximizing subscription numbers and then bringing in advertising revenue on top of that. Don't get me started on how many ad breaks Sky show during half time now, if ITV did the same in the World Cup people who go berserk but Sky get a free pass for some reason which is mad as you've already paid to watch it.

Anyway i digress, the complete blame goes to the business which actually relies on the travelling and attending football fan to keep going, the clubs and the Leagues. They are the ones with the power who have given that power away.

In the last few years a major change in tv has been who owns content and those that own it have massive power to distribute it how they wish and make money from it, look a Disney, before that they relied on the paying customer to travel to a cinema much like clubs rely on us paying to turn up and they would get money from that. They woke up to the new world and have bought big franchises like Star Wars and Marvel and taken all of their shows and movies and put them in one place so the only way you can see them now is by giving them money rather than being able to watch it on Sky, Amazon, Netflix etc.

UEFA are a prime example of how to do this in football. They control everything in terms of tv. When you buy the rights to show their games you have no say on kick off times, dates or venues. You have to accept their sponsorship deal so rather than the tv companies being able to sell sponsorship for the tournaments they have to run what UEFA tell them to do and all the money goes to UEFA. We had that last year covering the Euros, you'd be talking millions of pounds in revenue if ITV could sell it but we didn't make a penny all went to UEFA. They have control they have the power of some of the most lucrative sporting events in the world and with that they are able to tell fans when the draw is made you will play this team on this day at this time in 3 months time and it won't change. The Premier League and EFL could do the same but they don't have the bottle or the people in place to make that a reality.
Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 12:48 - Apr 13 with 1271 viewsTheChef

Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 11:58 - Apr 13 by daveB

What I would say as a very weak defence of the tv companies is that travelling football fans are not their concern. They are looking to show as many games as they can, at times that suit their schedule and ensure the most viewers possible. How you get to the game, the costs etc is nothing to do with them their business is built around maximizing subscription numbers and then bringing in advertising revenue on top of that. Don't get me started on how many ad breaks Sky show during half time now, if ITV did the same in the World Cup people who go berserk but Sky get a free pass for some reason which is mad as you've already paid to watch it.

Anyway i digress, the complete blame goes to the business which actually relies on the travelling and attending football fan to keep going, the clubs and the Leagues. They are the ones with the power who have given that power away.

In the last few years a major change in tv has been who owns content and those that own it have massive power to distribute it how they wish and make money from it, look a Disney, before that they relied on the paying customer to travel to a cinema much like clubs rely on us paying to turn up and they would get money from that. They woke up to the new world and have bought big franchises like Star Wars and Marvel and taken all of their shows and movies and put them in one place so the only way you can see them now is by giving them money rather than being able to watch it on Sky, Amazon, Netflix etc.

UEFA are a prime example of how to do this in football. They control everything in terms of tv. When you buy the rights to show their games you have no say on kick off times, dates or venues. You have to accept their sponsorship deal so rather than the tv companies being able to sell sponsorship for the tournaments they have to run what UEFA tell them to do and all the money goes to UEFA. We had that last year covering the Euros, you'd be talking millions of pounds in revenue if ITV could sell it but we didn't make a penny all went to UEFA. They have control they have the power of some of the most lucrative sporting events in the world and with that they are able to tell fans when the draw is made you will play this team on this day at this time in 3 months time and it won't change. The Premier League and EFL could do the same but they don't have the bottle or the people in place to make that a reality.

Good post Dave.

I would upvote it, but it's a summary of all that is currently wrong with football (and the world in general).

Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 13:21 - Apr 13 with 1216 viewsthemodfather

the tv companies do not care about fans, they care about millions watching in the far east and across the world so they sell ad space. it's their business and sadly they now call all the shots.
clubs didn;t like it when fans staged walk out protests over prices , maybe tv wouldn't like it either?
Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 13:37 - Apr 13 with 1182 viewsWegerles_Stairs

We are complicit too - moving the Peterborough game to Sunday to get more rest, which obviously worked out well. I was surprised that our home record is pretty decent (9-6-6); just shows that if we'd won a few more (e.g. Barnsley, Bristol City, Cardiff, Hull, Peterborough, Stoke and Swansea), the difference it would have made. I do think getting our hardcore support back in the Loft will make a massive difference.
Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 13:42 - Apr 13 with 1175 viewsNorthernr

Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 13:37 - Apr 13 by Wegerles_Stairs

We are complicit too - moving the Peterborough game to Sunday to get more rest, which obviously worked out well. I was surprised that our home record is pretty decent (9-6-6); just shows that if we'd won a few more (e.g. Barnsley, Bristol City, Cardiff, Hull, Peterborough, Stoke and Swansea), the difference it would have made. I do think getting our hardcore support back in the Loft will make a massive difference.

That was a joke that Peterborough move. Not only shifting it to Sunday, which is always sht, but a Sunday at 12.30. A real pis take of the fans in a season with so many moves. And TBH rather smacked of "it's only Peterborough we'll beat them anyway".
Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 13:56 - Apr 13 with 1135 viewsSnipper

Regarding football on the telly, does anybody else think that there’s far too much of it on?
Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 13:59 - Apr 13 with 1132 viewsMyke

Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 13:42 - Apr 13 by Northernr

That was a joke that Peterborough move. Not only shifting it to Sunday, which is always sht, but a Sunday at 12.30. A real pis take of the fans in a season with so many moves. And TBH rather smacked of "it's only Peterborough we'll beat them anyway".

Fair enough, but at least it was a once off and had the club's (albeit not the fans) best interests at heart. What really fooked that up was the result. If we had beaten 'Boro it would probably have been 'justified' What SKY do is endemic and has nobody's interest at heart only themselves and was preventable as Dave said. Even now (or whenever the current deal ends) if the Prem/EFL took a stand, they could probably wrestle some control at least away from SKY. People have this fear that SKY would walk away from the Prem - not a chance. They may well have created this monster, but they know that they have to keep feeding it, or someone else will.
Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 14:27 - Apr 13 with 1078 viewsdaveB

Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 13:59 - Apr 13 by Myke

Fair enough, but at least it was a once off and had the club's (albeit not the fans) best interests at heart. What really fooked that up was the result. If we had beaten 'Boro it would probably have been 'justified' What SKY do is endemic and has nobody's interest at heart only themselves and was preventable as Dave said. Even now (or whenever the current deal ends) if the Prem/EFL took a stand, they could probably wrestle some control at least away from SKY. People have this fear that SKY would walk away from the Prem - not a chance. They may well have created this monster, but they know that they have to keep feeding it, or someone else will.

Sky are terrified of losing that tv deal. Thy would lose a ton of customers if they lost the Premier league
Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 14:27 - Apr 13 with 1077 viewsR_from_afar

Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 10:20 - Apr 13 by daveB

Is it HTV West, Dave? Come on, tell us, what is Gus Honeybun *really* like? Is he a gashead?

PS: Sorry, stressful day

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 16:59 - Apr 13 with 971 viewsPinnerPaul

Dave is correct, why do you think the Grand National has moved further and further back each year?
Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 17:03 - Apr 13 with 963 viewsPinnerPaul

Anyway, meaningless last games of the season have done for me.

Bad enough if it was a Saturday, but if we want to clap the players, its likely we will have to wait until Sheff Utd have done theirs, their fans leave, we get our morons off the pitch and then finally the players will come out.

My patience is wearing thin when this happens in the afternoon, for an evening game, if we can't reach the top 6 (Highly likely) its possible I won't bother.

Grandson staying with us, another factor tempting me to leave my car on the drive that evening.
Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 17:16 - Apr 13 with 931 viewsNorthernr

Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 17:03 - Apr 13 by PinnerPaul

Anyway, meaningless last games of the season have done for me.

Bad enough if it was a Saturday, but if we want to clap the players, its likely we will have to wait until Sheff Utd have done theirs, their fans leave, we get our morons off the pitch and then finally the players will come out.

My patience is wearing thin when this happens in the afternoon, for an evening game, if we can't reach the top 6 (Highly likely) its possible I won't bother.

Grandson staying with us, another factor tempting me to leave my car on the drive that evening.

Ha ha, lap of honour. I honestly reckon I might be able to make it back to the Crown between the first and the third blast on the full time whistle.
Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 17:23 - Apr 13 with 922 viewsStanisgod

Your last paragraph says it all.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 17:29 - Apr 13 with 907 viewsPinnerPaul

Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 17:16 - Apr 13 by Northernr

Ha ha, lap of honour. I honestly reckon I might be able to make it back to the Crown between the first and the third blast on the full time whistle.

I ALWAYS stay for the lap of .........................appreciation, no idea why, when there has been so little to appreciate for so long!

I might be lying though, and you'll know the answer to this one - 1-2 defeat to Millwall with Rob Green gifting them their goal near the end - was that last game of the season - not sure I've even got the score right????!!!! Old age setting in - but I left that one as soon as they scored for a peaceful walk round the ground back to my car!
Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 20:58 - Apr 13 with 763 viewsozranger

So, let me get this straight and could some check.

These are the games that have been moved this season in order (incl. the postponed Sheffield game)

Barnsley (h) to 12:30
West Brom (a) to Friday
Fulham (a) to 12:30
Forest (h) to Friday
Blackpool (a) to 5:30
Luton (h) to Friday
Derby (a) to Monday
Stoke (h) to Sunday
Sheff Utd (a) to Monday (postponed)
Bournemouth (h) from Boxing Day
Bristol (a) one day later
Brum (a) one day later
Barnsley (a) to 8pm, though moved back to 3pm
Blackburn (a) to 12:30
Luton (a) to Sunday
Posh (h) to Sunday
Huddersfield (a) to 5:30
Sheff Utd (h) to Friday

That is, 18 games, by my count, were moved by Sky or us from their original scheduled time or 39% of the all regular season games. Note that I have not included the Millwall (a) move as that was because of the FA Cup. I have included the Barnsley (a) even though it was moved back to its original time as Sky initially moved it to 8pm as they did with the Sheffield away fixture that was postponed. Thus, when the draw comes out it is hardly worth the web space that it occupies and, as they say, are just guidelines.
Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 21:05 - Apr 13 with 754 viewsdaveB

Sky's final big fat fck you of the season on 20:58 - Apr 13 by ozranger

So, let me get this straight and could some check.

These are the games that have been moved this season in order (incl. the postponed Sheffield game)

Barnsley (h) to 12:30
West Brom (a) to Friday
Fulham (a) to 12:30
Forest (h) to Friday
Blackpool (a) to 5:30
Luton (h) to Friday
Derby (a) to Monday
Stoke (h) to Sunday
Sheff Utd (a) to Monday (postponed)
Bournemouth (h) from Boxing Day
Bristol (a) one day later
Brum (a) one day later
Barnsley (a) to 8pm, though moved back to 3pm
Blackburn (a) to 12:30
Luton (a) to Sunday
Posh (h) to Sunday
Huddersfield (a) to 5:30
Sheff Utd (h) to Friday

That is, 18 games, by my count, were moved by Sky or us from their original scheduled time or 39% of the all regular season games. Note that I have not included the Millwall (a) move as that was because of the FA Cup. I have included the Barnsley (a) even though it was moved back to its original time as Sky initially moved it to 8pm as they did with the Sheffield away fixture that was postponed. Thus, when the draw comes out it is hardly worth the web space that it occupies and, as they say, are just guidelines.

When you look at the vast majority of these games they could have been re scheduled at the start of the season, didn't need to wait till 3/4 weeks before to change them
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024