Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping 14:44 - Aug 4 with 8379 views80s_Boy

I know there's a few other 'Groundhoppers' out there so just to bring to your attention that tickets for the AFC Wimbledon match against Gillingham on Tuesday, 17th August are on general sale.

We're away to Middleboro' the following night so if you're looking to tick off the newest ground in London here's a good chance.

(No booking fee either, Mr Hoos...)

Or U23 team are at home (Loftus Road) in the afternoon against Hull that day too if you're looking for something to do in the afternoon ;-)
[Post edited 4 Aug 2021 14:46]
AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 22:09 - Aug 4 with 1914 viewsozranger

There is a certain member of this group, who hasn't posted for quite a long time, who has an incredible amount and generally gets to well over 100 games per season. He would also be saying that the real ground hoppers are those who go to all of the non-league grounds as opposed to the 92ers.

For me, I have been to only a few League grounds outside of those I've been with QPR. In the UK, also only 69 non-league grounds so far. However, if one counts grounds outside of the UK then I am getting close to 200 including within eight other countries.

Further, a game can only really be counted if there was a programme available and you bought one, the true signature of a game and a ground-hopper. However, in some cases a programme may not be available but the game is still counted if you tried anyway to find one.
AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 22:11 - Aug 4 with 1913 viewsloftboy

But what does Edgeley park or Gigg Lane count as? I’ve seen QPR play league cup games there but wouldn’t count in the 92

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 22:24 - Aug 4 with 1882 viewsSonofNorfolt

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 22:11 - Aug 4 by loftboy

But what does Edgeley park or Gigg Lane count as? I’ve seen QPR play league cup games there but wouldn’t count in the 92

Former league grounds, they count.

Programme nah.
For me you must have seen some of the match from inside the stadium.

Brentford, Harrogate and Wimbledon to do, Altrincham from the National League.
4 from La Liga, 4 from Serie A etc
It gets to you in the end.
AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 22:48 - Aug 4 with 1855 views80s_Boy

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 22:24 - Aug 4 by SonofNorfolt

Former league grounds, they count.

Programme nah.
For me you must have seen some of the match from inside the stadium.

Brentford, Harrogate and Wimbledon to do, Altrincham from the National League.
4 from La Liga, 4 from Serie A etc
It gets to you in the end.

I used to be obsessive about programmes and would even email clubs before attending a match to see if they sold one.

However, when I moved home they became a burden to space and the reality is that you seldom read them in the future and so it's wasted space.

Take photos of grounds now and that's enough for me.
AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 22:51 - Aug 4 with 1853 views80s_Boy

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 22:09 - Aug 4 by ozranger

There is a certain member of this group, who hasn't posted for quite a long time, who has an incredible amount and generally gets to well over 100 games per season. He would also be saying that the real ground hoppers are those who go to all of the non-league grounds as opposed to the 92ers.

For me, I have been to only a few League grounds outside of those I've been with QPR. In the UK, also only 69 non-league grounds so far. However, if one counts grounds outside of the UK then I am getting close to 200 including within eight other countries.

Further, a game can only really be counted if there was a programme available and you bought one, the true signature of a game and a ground-hopper. However, in some cases a programme may not be available but the game is still counted if you tried anyway to find one.

There's a QPR fan who often has attended the same matches I have when I've checked into the Futbology site, I'll call him R.

Staggering how many he has been to if, as I suspect, it is the same man 👍
AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 22:59 - Aug 4 with 1826 viewsgazza1

For me it only counts if the Rangers were on view......

Done around 82 of the current 92.,,,,doubt I will get many more though unless in the Cup.
AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 23:05 - Aug 4 with 1818 views80s_Boy

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 22:59 - Aug 4 by gazza1

For me it only counts if the Rangers were on view......

Done around 82 of the current 92.,,,,doubt I will get many more though unless in the Cup.

That's a great amount and you never know with random cup draws.

Would love to know how many Vic and Alan Barnes visited over the years or the late John Proudlock... Must have been at EVERY away match I attended for years.
AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 23:08 - Aug 4 with 1815 viewsSonofNorfolt

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 22:51 - Aug 4 by 80s_Boy

There's a QPR fan who often has attended the same matches I have when I've checked into the Futbology site, I'll call him R.

Staggering how many he has been to if, as I suspect, it is the same man 👍

I tend not to go to many if they play below FA Trophy level, it's generally just a fuc king field.

559 Worldwide, about 250 outside of the English leagues. Abroad give the best experiences.
Login to get fewer ads

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 23:19 - Aug 4 with 1809 views80s_Boy

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 23:08 - Aug 4 by SonofNorfolt

I tend not to go to many if they play below FA Trophy level, it's generally just a fuc king field.

559 Worldwide, about 250 outside of the English leagues. Abroad give the best experiences.

Ha ha, I love games like that especially grounds in the Essex Olympian League for some reason. Discovered various parts of London and the bordering counties going to matches at step 7 though its hard work when the weather is crap!

That's a great amount and I hope to be there myself one day. Also love the overseas experience and discovering new countries and football cultures. Have Romania on the list for my next foreign trip but it might be a while until it becomes less complicated.

Hoping to do a double in Ireland in October but whether that is a match in Dublin on the Friday and Glentoran in Belfast on the Saturday or Northern Ireland vs Lithuania at Windsor Park on the Friday will depend on travel restrictions to the Republic and/or fans being allowed into the Windsor Park match.
AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 23:43 - Aug 4 with 1791 viewsSonofNorfolt

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 23:19 - Aug 4 by 80s_Boy

Ha ha, I love games like that especially grounds in the Essex Olympian League for some reason. Discovered various parts of London and the bordering counties going to matches at step 7 though its hard work when the weather is crap!

That's a great amount and I hope to be there myself one day. Also love the overseas experience and discovering new countries and football cultures. Have Romania on the list for my next foreign trip but it might be a while until it becomes less complicated.

Hoping to do a double in Ireland in October but whether that is a match in Dublin on the Friday and Glentoran in Belfast on the Saturday or Northern Ireland vs Lithuania at Windsor Park on the Friday will depend on travel restrictions to the Republic and/or fans being allowed into the Windsor Park match.

Romania, err there's better. Moldova with FC Sheriff in Transnistria as well would be more enjoyable.
Glentoran is a great ground. Windsor Pk has been modernised so lacks the character it used to.
Ireland is alright, wish I'd seen a match at Croke Pk. A football match, otherwise it doesn't count according to my stupid rules.
AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 23:52 - Aug 4 with 1785 viewsCiderwithRsie

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 18:42 - Aug 4 by derbyhoop

That adds another level of difficulty.

When did QPR last play at Forest Green or Salfird?

I've done Ioswich v Charlton; Bury vs Walsall; and rochdale's vs Swindon among the 73 grounds I've been to.

We did play Forest Green a few years back in a pre-season friendly.

Clive's away day guide included the memorable (and completely accurate) directions "Take the A46 out of Stroud and turn right at the roundabout in Nailsworth. Keep going until you think there can't possibly be a football ground on this road and about half a mile after that you're there."
AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 00:11 - Aug 5 with 1780 viewsSonofNorfolt

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 23:52 - Aug 4 by CiderwithRsie

We did play Forest Green a few years back in a pre-season friendly.

Clive's away day guide included the memorable (and completely accurate) directions "Take the A46 out of Stroud and turn right at the roundabout in Nailsworth. Keep going until you think there can't possibly be a football ground on this road and about half a mile after that you're there."

'Grounds for divorce' also reiterates this expecting to find Gloucs CC instead.
AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 07:21 - Aug 5 with 1711 views80s_Boy

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 23:43 - Aug 4 by SonofNorfolt

Romania, err there's better. Moldova with FC Sheriff in Transnistria as well would be more enjoyable.
Glentoran is a great ground. Windsor Pk has been modernised so lacks the character it used to.
Ireland is alright, wish I'd seen a match at Croke Pk. A football match, otherwise it doesn't count according to my stupid rules.

Hadn't considered Moldova to be honest. Will do some research 👍

I tend to choose destinations based around other interests and maximising my trips. Romania is high on the list as I am fascinated with the Cold War and in Bucharest there is, of course, the history of Ceaușescu. Can spend 3 days there and take in a few matches around visits to museums and key sites.

Glentoran has been on the list for ages and I know there's talk of the ground being renovated so best do it soon!
AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 09:23 - Aug 5 with 1656 viewstoboboly

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 23:08 - Aug 4 by SonofNorfolt

If you do fancy a glorified field Buntingford Town have a great field with a fantastically stocked bar and free entry.

https://www.buntingfordtownfc.com/

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 09:41 - Aug 5 with 1653 viewsjoe90

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 22:48 - Aug 4 by 80s_Boy

I used to be obsessive about programmes and would even email clubs before attending a match to see if they sold one.

However, when I moved home they became a burden to space and the reality is that you seldom read them in the future and so it's wasted space.

Take photos of grounds now and that's enough for me.

What are your best and worst grounds visited?
AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 09:58 - Aug 5 with 1646 views80s_Boy

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 09:41 - Aug 5 by joe90

What are your best and worst grounds visited?

That's a difficult question.....

My favourite ground I've ever been to is the Olympic Stadium Berlin but it has a running track and that ruins the experience of watching football.. However for architecture it is unrivalled in my opinion. It oozes history at every part of it too.

For purely football reasons I'm going to say Wisla Krakow. Intimate, crazy atmosphere and cheap! The perfect trio.

Worst ground? Even harder to answer as I find something I like about every stadium/ground I go to....

Take Kenilworth Road, for example, its universally ridiculed and, yes, it isn't great but it oozes character and English football is a lot poorer that grounds like it are disappearing. Same as the Manor Ground and, as we've mentioned it on this thread, Plough Lane. Not great at all but full of character and better than boring bowls like The Madjeski.

I'll have a think about this...
AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 10:38 - Aug 5 with 1629 viewsaston_hoop

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 09:23 - Aug 5 by toboboly

If you do fancy a glorified field Buntingford Town have a great field with a fantastically stocked bar and free entry.

https://www.buntingfordtownfc.com/

Thats a memory from the past, used to play against their junior team as a kid which they played at their glorified field stadium. Hope it hasn't changed

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 11:27 - Aug 5 with 1612 viewsSheffieldHoop

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 09:58 - Aug 5 by 80s_Boy

That's a difficult question.....

My favourite ground I've ever been to is the Olympic Stadium Berlin but it has a running track and that ruins the experience of watching football.. However for architecture it is unrivalled in my opinion. It oozes history at every part of it too.

For purely football reasons I'm going to say Wisla Krakow. Intimate, crazy atmosphere and cheap! The perfect trio.

Worst ground? Even harder to answer as I find something I like about every stadium/ground I go to....

Take Kenilworth Road, for example, its universally ridiculed and, yes, it isn't great but it oozes character and English football is a lot poorer that grounds like it are disappearing. Same as the Manor Ground and, as we've mentioned it on this thread, Plough Lane. Not great at all but full of character and better than boring bowls like The Madjeski.

I'll have a think about this...

I play too fast and loose with the rules to be a proper groundhopper, but I do like the futbology app. (Thanks for reminding me to renew it)

16/20 Prem
23/24 Champ
15/24 L1
7/24 L2
Done about 16 Non-League
10 closed/demolished grounds
Few in Europe (9 in Germany, 6 in Holland, 1 each from Denmark, Spain, Italy, Austria)

A couple I've only seen boxing matches in, but I count 'em anyway. And I count the San Siro, although I only went to a concert there.....Pushing it there I know! Done a few training grounds and rugby grounds not on futbology, so not counted here, which hopefully balances it out a bit.

EDIT - Reason I quoted your post was to agree about the Berlin Olympic stadium. Saw England win there in 2016, enjoyed the trip so much I went back to do the tour in 2017.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2021 11:30]

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 12:18 - Aug 5 with 1594 views80s_Boy

I've had a think about the worst ground and want to say Madjeski simply because it's everything I hate about new grounds but that said, I'm going to say Raynes Park because they admit it's the worst ground in the country but also great because of how bad it is....

Seen 2 matches here with the last being in November

^Not my Twitter btw^
AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 13:04 - Aug 5 with 1571 viewswillis1980

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 15:18 - Aug 4 by Northernr

I went there for my jab. Does this count?

that makes two of us. combined the weekly shop at lidl with the jab.
AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 14:07 - Aug 5 with 1540 viewsKonk

Done about 100 grounds in England, 10 in Scotland, 40+ in Continental Europe and 3 in Mexico.

I used to obsess over squeezing games in on any trip - I once paid out of my own pocket to extend a business trip to Luxembourg(!) by a couple of days, so I could get to Luxembourg v Slovenia - but I just lost the appetite for it. I was sat watching FC Copenhagen v Brondy, in a shi t match that I didn't care about, with some generic ultras droning away, and at half-time, we just left and went to drink in our favourite bar instead. From then on, I decided that I'd only go to grounds that interested me.

There were grounds that I was desperate to get to: Azteca, De Kuip, Bernabeu, San Siro amongst others because they seemed such special iconic places when I was a kid, but I've got to a point where I've done most of the grounds that I really wanted to see. All the big grounds are so familiar now because of TV and the internet, that it loses a lot of the appeal. Going to somewhere like Queen of the South, and being pleasantly surprised by the ground, takes me back to being a kid and rolling-up at Walsall or something, with little idea what to expect.

My wife likes football, and she's very patient, so we would sometimes get two games in on the same day (Mexico City & Madrid) - I have definitely been a self-indulgent t wat when it comes to shoehorning games into trips. I think I was just going to grounds for the sake of it, and my life would have been none the poorer if I'd never been to Schalke, Ancona or PSV.

As per 80's Boy, I love grounds, which are utterly unique, either because of the quirky/mismatched stands or because of their location; I'm really not that a rsed about generic 'stadiums' with FIFA-approved facilities or out of town flat pack stadiums in the lower leagues. I love football grounds - I'm just not that fussed about stadiums.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 15:35 - Aug 5 with 1497 viewstoboboly

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 12:18 - Aug 5 by 80s_Boy

I've had a think about the worst ground and want to say Madjeski simply because it's everything I hate about new grounds but that said, I'm going to say Raynes Park because they admit it's the worst ground in the country but also great because of how bad it is....

Seen 2 matches here with the last being in November

^Not my Twitter btw^

My stag did a game there. Great fun and definitely not the worst, one of the most prone to floods definitely.

They now have their own bee hives and are trying to make honey and gin apparently.

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 13:56 - Aug 9 with 1403 viewsPinnerPaul

Wrong thread!
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 13:58]
AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 14:07 - Aug 9 with 1384 viewsBankole_Fan_Club

Another ground hopper here. Seems to be a fair few of us!

Am trying to work out a double for the 21st after our match against Barnsley and am looking at North Greenford United (where I have never been before) and Hanwell Town (where I have).

I hate missing any action so is the former feasible?

Hello to Duncan who told me about this site in the B+W club on Saturday. Can't remember if that was your real name or Username but enjoyed the chat and hope to see you at another match.
AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 14:29 - Aug 9 with 1337 viewstoboboly

AFC Wimbledon - Groundhopping on 14:07 - Aug 9 by Bankole_Fan_Club

Another ground hopper here. Seems to be a fair few of us!

Am trying to work out a double for the 21st after our match against Barnsley and am looking at North Greenford United (where I have never been before) and Hanwell Town (where I have).

I hate missing any action so is the former feasible?

Hello to Duncan who told me about this site in the B+W club on Saturday. Can't remember if that was your real name or Username but enjoyed the chat and hope to see you at another match.

NGU and Hanwell are both short walks from their respective tubes so as long as you get a wiggle on should be doable.

Annoyingly Bedfont & Feltham are just slightly too far away for a double.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024