Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lumley 20:01 - Sep 28 with 7805 viewsBobbi66

Worries me every time the ball is played back to him
Lumley on 13:19 - Oct 1 with 1604 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Lumley on 12:40 - Oct 1 by BuckR

A lot of people said the same with Smithies after his debut....

Really? Can't say I remember that.
Lumley on 13:20 - Oct 1 with 1599 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Lumley on 06:24 - Sep 29 by 18StoneOfHoop

Bklyn,
Austrian keeper rumour was quickly quashed? Where?
His show reel never once playing/kicking it out was a bit odd.
I missed that quashing..anyone got the link?
Agree with Hunter's equivocal but correct post.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2019 6:42]

Here you go...

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-boss-not-looking-to-sign-keeper
Lumley on 13:24 - Oct 1 with 1590 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Lumley on 10:13 - Sep 30 by Ned_Kennedys

Lumley was the one that was mainly responsible for us being nil-one down on Saturday.

Not convinced that he was MAINLY responsible. As the gaffer rightly pointed out, we defend as a team. Whilst I would expect Joe to save that shot 9 times out of ten, it could easily have been avoided had the team not allowed the goal scorer to advance 40 yards unchallenged before shooting.
Lumley on 13:26 - Oct 1 with 1585 viewsMick_S

Lumley on 13:24 - Oct 1 by Benny_the_Ball

Not convinced that he was MAINLY responsible. As the gaffer rightly pointed out, we defend as a team. Whilst I would expect Joe to save that shot 9 times out of ten, it could easily have been avoided had the team not allowed the goal scorer to advance 40 yards unchallenged before shooting.

My memory is a bit vague here, but did we not also concede possession from our throw?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Lumley on 13:27 - Oct 1 with 1575 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Lumley on 20:22 - Sep 28 by Esox_Lucius

The fans worry me more, they seem to think that a team that cost fück all should be winning every game and throw their toys out of the pram at every set back.
MW has decided that we will be playing the ball out from the back so pull your panties up and get used to it.

This is a message board, the topic is a valid one given the mistakes Joe has been making, and all opinions are welcome. Pull your panties up and get used to it.
Lumley on 13:29 - Oct 1 with 1574 viewsToast_R

The goal he conceded on Saturday was a shambles. He needs to sort his sh*t out because he's dropping bollocks every other week at the moment and that's not good enough at this level. If he's dropped from the eleven he can have no complaints. I don't buy the excuse that just because the team is assembled on the cheap they should all get a free ride. Yes he proved he can be a good goalkeeper with some other good saves late on but you cannot have a loose cannnon rolling around he decks ready to undo all the hard work in an instant.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 13:33]
Lumley on 13:31 - Oct 1 with 1566 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Lumley on 20:30 - Sep 28 by Hunterhoop

Woah, there is a balance here.

I want Lumley to succeed and be our keeper for 3 years and then we sell him for loads.

But he is all over the shop. He screwed up 3 back pass clearances in the first half alone. He com exes a soft long range effort at his near post. And this isn’t a one off. He made some good saves late on hit the game was gone.

I want him to succeed. But if he was dropped I would not argue it was unfair.

Thank goodness for some balance. I'm pretty ambivalent at present as on the whole the team has performed above expectation in spite of the mistakes. However, lose a few games courtesy of more mistakes and MW has a decision to make.
Lumley on 16:15 - Oct 1 with 1472 viewsingeminate

Lumley on 13:31 - Oct 1 by Benny_the_Ball

Thank goodness for some balance. I'm pretty ambivalent at present as on the whole the team has performed above expectation in spite of the mistakes. However, lose a few games courtesy of more mistakes and MW has a decision to make.

Smithies is starting at the moment for Cardiff, but looking at the message boards there is a sense that now Etheridge is fit it is only a matter of time till he gets the jersey back.
If that happens I’d be tempted to use the money we supposedly had to buy the centre back in the summer on buying Smithies back.
He must surely want to keep playing, I’m not sure he’ll get too many better offers, Cardiff don’t need two keepers of that quality in the championship and now they are being made to cough up by UEFA could do with the money. Add Smithies to our team and reckon you finish 8-10 points higher than now.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Login to get fewer ads

Lumley on 18:53 - Oct 1 with 1392 viewsCamberleyR

Lumley on 13:19 - Oct 1 by Benny_the_Ball

Really? Can't say I remember that.

Oh there were. Couple of pearlers on this thread after Smithies' full debut:

Smithies by AgedR 16 Sep 2015 23:45
Won't be a common view I appreciate, but, contrary to all logical evidence to date, I quite like him.

His distribution is first class and he made a couple of excellent saves (granted one was from an offside position).

He did make a misjudgement for the first goal, but, on another day (and another ref) he might have got away with it.

After the goal he did look nervy, but, I was impressed with the fact that he did keep coming for crosses.

As I said, I like him and I actually think it's a tough call who to play next week. Probably Greeno, but, Smithies is a good longer term prospect.

Cambs Hoop - "Even if it were true (which I don't think it is) that Green is giving away a goal a month, it's way better than Smihies record so far of 3 goals in 2.25 games. At one point after the Forest second goal, his record read: SOT 6; Goals 4.
One cup exit and four points dropped are (partly) attributable to Smithies's two and a bit games."

Jon Doeman - "So now we've got a choice of 2 keepers who keep costing us matches!
I don't like the look of Smithies, shit signing."

To be fair, they were the exception.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Lumley on 19:25 - Oct 1 with 1344 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Lumley on 18:53 - Oct 1 by CamberleyR

Won't be a common view I appreciate, but, contrary to all logical evidence to date, I quite like him.

His distribution is first class and he made a couple of excellent saves (granted one was from an offside position).

He did make a misjudgement for the first goal, but, on another day (and another ref) he might have got away with it.

After the goal he did look nervy, but, I was impressed with the fact that he did keep coming for crosses.

As I said, I like him and I actually think it's a tough call who to play next week. Probably Greeno, but, Smithies is a good longer term prospect.

Cambs Hoop - "Even if it were true (which I don't think it is) that Green is giving away a goal a month, it's way better than Smihies record so far of 3 goals in 2.25 games. At one point after the Forest second goal, his record read: SOT 6; Goals 4.
One cup exit and four points dropped are (partly) attributable to Smithies's two and a bit games."

Jon Doeman - "So now we've got a choice of 2 keepers who keep costing us matches!

In addition to this, let’s not forget how we all howled for Lumley’s inclusion after Ingram had a shakey few games.

Ironically due to playing out from the back.
Lumley on 23:21 - Oct 1 with 1228 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Lumley on 18:53 - Oct 1 by CamberleyR

You're right, those are some gems! They are the exception and on the whole the thread is positive about Smithies. However, it all goes a bit Pete Tong where Green is concerned!
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 23:22]
Lumley on 23:33 - Oct 1 with 1222 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Lumley on 19:25 - Oct 1 by BazzaInTheLoft

In addition to this, let’s not forget how we all howled for Lumley’s inclusion after Ingram had a shakey few games.

There is always a small minority at every club for whom the world is not enough. However, I genuinely believe the majority of our fans are balanced and have a genuine concern for a goalkeeper who they desperately want to do well but whose form has dipped alarmingly. It is a squad game and the manager has to delicately balance the risk of destroying Lumley's confidence against the risk of alienating Kelly because he doesn't get a chance, no matter what mistakes Lumley makes.
Lumley on 08:14 - Oct 2 with 1129 viewsEsox_Lucius

Lumley still makes less mistakes in a game than the other players in the team. It's the nature of his position that they result in goals. Our shooting on Saturday was far more woeful than Joe not getting to the first shot and the second goal was down to the wall.

The grass is always greener.

Lumley on 11:13 - Oct 2 with 1065 viewsingeminate

Lumley on 08:14 - Oct 2 by Esox_Lucius

Lumley still makes less mistakes in a game than the other players in the team. It's the nature of his position that they result in goals. Our shooting on Saturday was far more woeful than Joe not getting to the first shot and the second goal was down to the wall.

All well and good, but you compare him to Smithies who probably made less mistakes in all his games here than Lumley has already...

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Lumley on 11:14 - Oct 2 with 1064 viewsridethewave

But miss a goal, you're still net neutral, i.e. the score remains the same. Let in a silly goal like Joe has done the past two games (and let's remember it could have been nearly every game this season but for some luck), and you're now net negative. So poor goalkeeping will invariably have a higher impact on the result than any other position.

The reality is, he's been making too many mistakes for some time, and looks nowhere near to eliminating or reducing these. He's no longer an 'inexperienced kid', and there must come a point where his competition gets a fair chance. I'm not saying that's now, and it's an incredibly tough decision as dropping a keeper is a bigger statement than dropping any other position and will undoubtedly hurt Joe's confidence, but we can't forever go on burying our heads and acting as if these errors are somehow justified.
Lumley on 11:21 - Oct 2 with 1049 viewskensalriser

We want the finest goalkeeper available to humanity, we want him here and we want him now.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Lumley on 12:41 - Oct 2 with 1010 viewsstevec

Smithies v Lumley then.

Let's hope this game's not decided on penalties.
Lumley on 14:26 - Oct 2 with 931 viewsMatch82

Not sure I buy that as an argument. He may make less mistakes than other players but he also has far less touches. And by the nature of the position they should be less risky ones.
Lumley on 18:06 - Oct 2 with 845 viewsPinnerPaul

Lumley on 19:25 - Oct 1 by BazzaInTheLoft

I can think of two goals straight away that he conceded that were nothing to do with playing out from the back!
Lumley on 18:48 - Oct 2 with 825 viewseastside_r

Benched!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024