Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lumley 20:01 - Sep 28 with 7670 viewsBobbi66

Worries me every time the ball is played back to him
Lumley on 13:41 - Sep 29 with 2089 viewskensalriser

I'm still fuming that the first goalscorer was able to run at goal so unchallenged he had time to simultaneously scratch his balls and pick his nose before shooting.

Our players were backing off faster than did I in an incident after a Penetration gig at Colchester University circa 1979 when I inadvertently ran towards a large group of less than friendly skinheads.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Lumley on 15:02 - Sep 29 with 1983 viewsjoe90

Lumley on 20:22 - Sep 28 by Esox_Lucius

The fans worry me more, they seem to think that a team that cost fück all should be winning every game and throw their toys out of the pram at every set back.
MW has decided that we will be playing the ball out from the back so pull your panties up and get used to it.

We have a keeper who's unacceptably bad at kicking and we inisit on playing out from the back...Lumley has to improve or be dropped. It's that simple.
Lumley on 15:22 - Sep 29 with 1945 viewsjonno

I've said on here before that Lumley will never be a great keeper in my opinion. He has too many inadequacies in his game for that and at age 24 they are not all going to be ironed out. However, he could improve with the right coaching. He should certainly have saved that first goal and it isn't the first time he has let in a fairly soft long shot. I for one would like to see him dominate the six yard box more - he seems unsure when to go for the cross or stay on his line and has got away with it a few times coming for the ball and getting nowhere near it, it seems because of that he stays on his line all the time now. Having said all that, he is entitled to expect his outfield players to not allow an opponent to run that far with the ball and stand off to allow a free shot at goal - something we did a lot last season and has crept back in to our game. Also not expect the wall to part like the Red Sea and allow a shot straight through - when that happens the keeper has no chance because he is covering the rest of the goal not covered by the wall. I would also like to see the defenders take more responsibility in playing the ball out - too often they are taking the easy option of knocking it back to Lumley which puts him under pressure.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2019 15:23]
Lumley on 15:58 - Sep 29 with 1898 viewsTHEBUSH

As far as back passes to Lumley goes, I suggest when our defensive players get into trouble, they stop passing the ball back to Lumley and clear the ball themselves.
The WBA centre back yesterday just booted the ball out of play, when their defence was in trouble. didn't try anything fancy, just made the ball safe.
Lumley on 16:14 - Sep 29 with 1876 viewsBklynRanger

Lumley on 15:58 - Sep 29 by THEBUSH

As far as back passes to Lumley goes, I suggest when our defensive players get into trouble, they stop passing the ball back to Lumley and clear the ball themselves.
The WBA centre back yesterday just booted the ball out of play, when their defence was in trouble. didn't try anything fancy, just made the ball safe.

100%. Need to balance when to embrace the new style of play and when to welly the fcuk out of it. There are occasions when supporters are yelling not to play it back and the players prove us wrong by switching things quite nicely, but there are also times when it's definitely not a good idea.
Lumley on 18:00 - Sep 29 with 1782 viewsderbyhoop

Lumley on 10:45 - Sep 29 by TacticalR

Unfortunately being kicked in the head has a negative effect on some men.

Exactly.

Have you heard the LBC call to Farage?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Lumley on 18:34 - Sep 29 with 1742 viewsTacticalR

Lumley on 18:00 - Sep 29 by derbyhoop

Exactly.

Have you heard the LBC call to Farage?

Yes, that was funny.

Air hostess clique

Lumley on 18:45 - Sep 29 with 1729 viewsfrancisbowles

i would prefer Lumley to stay on his line and let his defenders deal with balls into the box, unless they are definitely ones he needs to/should come for and he is almost certain he is going to get there. He came for one yesterday and made a good long distance, safe, clearing punch.

His kicking is a bit erratic but not that bad. How many keepers are consistent with their kicking?

As for playing out from the back it is a team thing and all players, including the keeper, need to be concentrating. It wasn't really an issue yesterday. As long as we are creating more by doing it than we are conceding from break downs in it, then I believe it is the way forward. The squad are mostly confident on the ball and the others (Ball, Cameron, Scowen, Lumley etc aren't that bad. When we make a mistake with it, just learn from it. After all most goals come from mistakes, so they will happen. We are not unique in doing it even WBA were living a little dangerously with it in the early stages yesterday.
Login to get fewer ads

Lumley on 21:39 - Sep 29 with 1627 viewsingeminate

Lumley on 20:30 - Sep 28 by Hunterhoop

Woah, there is a balance here.

I want Lumley to succeed and be our keeper for 3 years and then we sell him for loads.

But he is all over the shop. He screwed up 3 back pass clearances in the first half alone. He com exes a soft long range effort at his near post. And this isn’t a one off. He made some good saves late on hit the game was gone.

I want him to succeed. But if he was dropped I would not argue it was unfair.

There’s also the balance about what is fair for Kelly.
You accept you are N.2 keeper, you get your shot through injury or loss of form. Lumley has made a load of mistakes. Let Kelly have a go.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Lumley on 23:33 - Sep 29 with 1565 viewsdaveB

I thought West Brom blocked the space really well when Lumley had the ball giving him hardly any options and saw him give the ball away few times. He's struggling a bit for confidence at the moment and wouldn't be surprised to see Kelly get a start but I'm not convinced he's any better.
Lumley on 08:57 - Sep 30 with 1446 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Every keeper has strong points to their game and every keeper has areas that they need extra work on. Seaman, for instance, was poor on footwork, long shots, penalties and free kicks but improved on the first two immeasurably over time.

The area I hope they're working on with Lumley is footwork and decision-making. I think he'll be fine in time and is generally fine at the moment. We're in danger of forgetting that every keeper we've had has been human.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Lumley on 09:14 - Sep 30 with 1436 viewsEsox_Lucius

Lumley was the one who kept the score respectable on Saturday.

The grass is always greener.

Lumley on 10:13 - Sep 30 with 1384 viewsNed_Kennedys

Lumley on 09:14 - Sep 30 by Esox_Lucius

Lumley was the one who kept the score respectable on Saturday.

Lumley was the one that was mainly responsible for us being nil-one down on Saturday.
Lumley on 10:26 - Sep 30 with 1375 viewsdavman

Lumley on 10:13 - Sep 30 by Ned_Kennedys

Lumley was the one that was mainly responsible for us being nil-one down on Saturday.

Sorry, but I don't buy that. How about Wells, Chair, Ball, Cameron, Leistner and Kane for letting the best player on the pitch run for 40 yards without getting within 10 yards of him begging him to shoot? OK, so some say it was soft which may be true, but I'd say that defending was as much to blame as Lumley, so there is no way it was "mainly" his fault.

Everything is extremes isn't it? He did some good stuff, he did some bad stuff. He wasn't the world's best and he wasn't the world's worst either. Does he deserve to be dropped? Well, that's up to the manager and maybe it will happen or maybe it won't. He stays in, "cocks up" again and those who want him out will cry foul. Put Kelly in and he cocks up, then those who want Joe to stay will cry foul.

Personally, I'd stick with Joe as I am not convinced Kelly has the aura of confidence Joe has (even if some think it is misplaced).

But whoever it is will have my support no matter what.

Hopefully, you are all the same on that point...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Lumley on 12:27 - Sep 30 with 1315 viewskensalriser

One thing's for sure, Kelly will get better with every game he doesn't play.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Lumley on 12:30 - Sep 30 with 1311 viewsEsox_Lucius

Lumley on 10:13 - Sep 30 by Ned_Kennedys

He was also the one who kept the score respectable Saturday. I would also have said that Wells, initially and then the midfield & defence had a major part in Ferguson's goal too but don't let that stop you from just digging Joe out.

The grass is always greener.

Lumley on 13:10 - Sep 30 with 1269 viewsfrancisbowles

Lumley on 12:30 - Sep 30 by Esox_Lucius

He was also the one who kept the score respectable Saturday. I would also have said that Wells, initially and then the midfield & defence had a major part in Ferguson's goal too but don't let that stop you from just digging Joe out.

Maybe I'm being a bit easy on him but didn't the ball also bounce just in front of him and curve away a bit.
Lumley on 13:28 - Sep 30 with 1256 viewsPinnerPaul

Lumley on 13:10 - Sep 30 by francisbowles

Maybe I'm being a bit easy on him but didn't the ball also bounce just in front of him and curve away a bit.

Yes and yes
Lumley on 13:39 - Sep 30 with 1240 viewsNed_Kennedys

Lumley on 12:30 - Sep 30 by Esox_Lucius

Who's digging him out? I'm just pulling you up on your blind loyalty to him when the fact is he IS making a number of costly mistakes and therefore his position is justifiably open to discussion.

We signed Liam Kelly to compete with Joe Lumley for the goalkeeper's position and IMO he deserves the chance to show what he can do. Lumley got his chance when Ingram made a number of mistakes at the beginning of last season so what's different from the current situation?
Lumley on 13:42 - Sep 30 with 1233 viewsR_from_afar

Lumley on 12:22 - Sep 29 by stainrods_elbow

Aren't the things you mention the things any half-decent goalkeeper should normally be mastering anyway? Whether it' s a lack of confidence, concentration or capability, or all three right now, I'm not sure, but he's a rickety link for us at best. I suspect if we still had Smithies, we'd be top of the league right now, but the balance sheet mattered more to the number crunchers, so we're stuck with his palpable inadequacies. Le'ts hope that someone on the coaching side can work with him, and he's got it in him to improve. Personally, I think he definitely needs a spell on the sidelines.

"The balance sheet mattered more to the number crunchers": Welcome to the wonderful world of FFP
[Post edited 30 Sep 2019 13:43]

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Lumley on 15:23 - Sep 30 with 1188 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Lumley on 12:27 - Sep 30 by kensalriser

One thing's for sure, Kelly will get better with every game he doesn't play.

Absolutely. Although I've only seen him play once (against Portsmouth) he scared the cr&p out of me every time the ball went anywhere near him. Also got himself booked for being a total wally prior to their penalty, Lumley would have been slaughtered on here had he done the same. The grass is always greener I guess.......
Lumley on 15:36 - Sep 30 with 1173 viewsNed_Kennedys

Lumley on 15:23 - Sep 30 by Silverfoxqpr

Absolutely. Although I've only seen him play once (against Portsmouth) he scared the cr&p out of me every time the ball went anywhere near him. Also got himself booked for being a total wally prior to their penalty, Lumley would have been slaughtered on here had he done the same. The grass is always greener I guess.......

So you've pretty much written Kelly off after one cup game.
Lumley on 16:01 - Sep 30 with 1139 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Lumley on 15:36 - Sep 30 by Ned_Kennedys

So you've pretty much written Kelly off after one cup game.

Not at all. Just pointing out that (in my opinion) he looked a lesser keeper than Lumley in the admittedly only one appearance I've seen.
Lumley on 12:35 - Oct 1 with 899 viewsYorkRanger

I want him to succeed, not least as he fits our new model of home grown, hopefully to then go on to be sold for a decent sum of money when he is established,

I think his confidence has taken a knock. He made some good saves Saturday, but in a tight game against superior opponents mistakes like the first goal really hurt the side, as was proven.

I'm happy to let Warburton to manage this. He knows that Lumley needs to grow and develop and he needs to work out how he does this and doesn't damage his confidence and self-belief.
Lumley on 12:40 - Oct 1 with 893 viewsBuckR

A lot of people said the same with Smithies after his debut....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024