Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cup Match Thread 13:29 - Nov 6 with 23590 views442Dale

Team:
Lillis, Rafferty, McGahey, Canavan, Bunney, Lund, Camps, Rathbone, Cannon, Davies, NML

Subs: Logan, Tanser, McNulty, McDermott, RNL, Morley, Gillam
[Post edited 6 Nov 2016 13:34]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Cup Match Thread on 16:59 - Nov 6 with 2881 viewsD_Dale

Getting back to the match, did Camps' shot take a deflection, and was their player Lokka red-carded after the final whistle for 'having a word' with the ref?

https://twitter.com/neil_barlow85
Cup Match Thread on 17:00 - Nov 6 with 2873 viewsPorlicks

Cup Match Thread on 16:54 - Nov 6 by 1907

Maybe you should hang fire on condemning people for their actions until all the evidence is on the table

He was on a piece of grass in the middle of 3000 people when he decided to elbow somebody in the head.

I feel comfortable judging him.

Who are YOU with?

Cup Match Thread on 17:04 - Nov 6 with 2824 views442Dale

Cup Match Thread on 16:59 - Nov 6 by D_Dale

Getting back to the match, did Camps' shot take a deflection, and was their player Lokka red-carded after the final whistle for 'having a word' with the ref?

Looked to fly straight in. The wall/keeper were badly positioned.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Cup Match Thread on 17:05 - Nov 6 with 2804 viewsSuddenLad

Cup Match Thread on 16:57 - Nov 6 by mingthemerciless

I'm afraid he's right. The difference between the two levels is that league players can play at say 7/10 most games in a season. The non leaguers may achieve 7/10 today in a " big " game but next week they'll be 5/10 . The ability to play consistently every week at a certain level is what separates the two groups of players.

That's why there are giant killers in the FA Cup every season.

If by 'non-league' we are talking about the Conference (effectively League Three) then the comparisons may be acceptable.

Trying to compare the likes of Salford City and FCUM with League One and Two players is nonsense. Football has always thrown up shock results and always will. The FA Cup is the competition it is, because of the upsets, though they are getting fewer year by year. They are complete 'one-offs' and not fixtures that are replicated week by week. The gulf is enormous.

This weeks stand out 'shock result' (for me) was Accrington winning at Bradford. Not a non-league club involved.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Cup Match Thread on 17:06 - Nov 6 with 2784 viewsDaleiLama

These comments from their forum suggest the sending off happened but a different player - the first incredibly questioning KH's sartorial elegance (good job the pink stayed at home)?

Fantastic performance by the lads today. Fully deserved a win, but not to be. By the way, their manager really dressed up for the occasion - jeans and hoodie.

Bugger.
Last kick of the match and then get home to see ACH was sent off after the final whistle. Poor ref (again), ignoring constant pushing and holding from Rochdale, yet punishing Stones players for questioning his fvckwittery. Good job the linesman on the riverside was alert though.
Really good display from Stones - made Rochdale look pretty ordinary by keeping things simple and staying alert. Much more hope for games against full time teams after the last two displays, methinks.
Loza magic again, defense solid, especially Twumasi, but maybe BJT just about shaded motm for his all round efforts. A shame Paxman is so shot shy, really should have had a go several times in the second half.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Cup Match Thread on 17:08 - Nov 6 with 2754 viewsSuddenLad

It looked like Acheampong who was red-carded (second yellow) for mouthing off at the referee about the award of the free kick which led to the Camps goal.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Cup Match Thread on 17:16 - Nov 6 with 2679 viewsD_Dale

Cup Match Thread on 17:04 - Nov 6 by 442Dale

Looked to fly straight in. The wall/keeper were badly positioned.

Probably so - it just seemed to take 2-3 seconds after the ball had left his boot to get into the net!
Cup Match Thread on 17:22 - Nov 6 with 2603 viewsNafelad

Cup Match Thread on 17:00 - Nov 6 by Porlicks

He was on a piece of grass in the middle of 3000 people when he decided to elbow somebody in the head.

A wrestler would call it a forearm to the side of the head.

Topcat

Login to get fewer ads

Cup Match Thread on 17:22 - Nov 6 with 2599 viewsmingthemerciless

Cup Match Thread on 17:05 - Nov 6 by SuddenLad

If by 'non-league' we are talking about the Conference (effectively League Three) then the comparisons may be acceptable.

Trying to compare the likes of Salford City and FCUM with League One and Two players is nonsense. Football has always thrown up shock results and always will. The FA Cup is the competition it is, because of the upsets, though they are getting fewer year by year. They are complete 'one-offs' and not fixtures that are replicated week by week. The gulf is enormous.

This weeks stand out 'shock result' (for me) was Accrington winning at Bradford. Not a non-league club involved.

You're missing the point entirely.

There are several ' Dale players who could play at the next level for a game or two and not look out of place. The reason they're played at Spotland and not Elland Road or Hillsboro etc is they can't reach that level consistently week in week out.

A pal of mine used to be a scout for Man City, he'd tell you the same thing.
Cup Match Thread on 17:22 - Nov 6 with 2599 viewsrochedale

Cup Match Thread on 16:57 - Nov 6 by mingthemerciless

I'm afraid he's right. The difference between the two levels is that league players can play at say 7/10 most games in a season. The non leaguers may achieve 7/10 today in a " big " game but next week they'll be 5/10 . The ability to play consistently every week at a certain level is what separates the two groups of players.

That's why there are giant killers in the FA Cup every season.

Have to disagree, with that theory all league one players a premiership quality. There are league for a reason. The better teams with better players progress, and vice versa.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Cup Match Thread on 17:28 - Nov 6 with 2539 viewsmingthemerciless

Cup Match Thread on 17:22 - Nov 6 by rochedale

Have to disagree, with that theory all league one players a premiership quality. There are league for a reason. The better teams with better players progress, and vice versa.

You've lost me there. I think we better agree to disagree on this.
Cup Match Thread on 17:32 - Nov 6 with 2487 viewsBigKindo

BBC Sports on-line have got a video of the equalising goal and subsequent sending off. It is on the football page with the header 'You're seconds away ...'
Cup Match Thread on 17:45 - Nov 6 with 2392 viewsdingdangblue

Cup Match Thread on 17:00 - Nov 6 by Porlicks

No he wasn't - there were over 5000 there.
Less one after Christmas.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Cup Match Thread on 17:45 - Nov 6 with 2391 viewsroccydaleian

Cup Match Thread on 17:32 - Nov 6 by BigKindo

BBC Sports on-line have got a video of the equalising goal and subsequent sending off. It is on the football page with the header 'You're seconds away ...'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37890980
Cup Match Thread on 17:54 - Nov 6 with 2310 viewsnordenblue

Cup Match Thread on 17:28 - Nov 6 by mingthemerciless

You've lost me there. I think we better agree to disagree on this.

You said the difference in skill for players 2 leagues apart is nothing and down to consistency alone?
Using that analogy any of Dale's team are good enough to play in the premier league then was what he was getting at I think?
Cup Match Thread on 17:56 - Nov 6 with 2289 viewsBartRowou

Cup Match Thread on 17:22 - Nov 6 by mingthemerciless

There are several ' Dale players who could play at the next level for a game or two and not look out of place. The reason they're played at Spotland and not Elland Road or Hillsboro etc is they can't reach that level consistently week in week out.

Agree with this.
It works the other way too. There are some comments on their forum suggesting that they'd have nothing to fear playing league football; it involves a bit more than a one-off match on an artificial pitch.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Cup Match Thread on 18:00 - Nov 6 with 2251 viewsrochedale

Cup Match Thread on 17:22 - Nov 6 by mingthemerciless

I once scored a 40 yard free-kick. I once took on 6 players and threaded a beautiful through ball to assist a goal, I once ran the midfield against top of the league blah blah blah. If I did that every week I'd be playing in the premier league, I don't and I'm not not. Silly comparison... in my humble opinion.i agree with you though with regards to agreeing to disagree.

Cup Match Thread on 18:07 - Nov 6 with 2194 viewsisitme

Consistency of performance is one factor, although I suspect that things like a lack of pace, height, lack of end product etc will also play a part. Players in higher leagues tend to have a better overall technique.
Cup Match Thread on 18:07 - Nov 6 with 2194 viewsVTStone

Cup Match Thread on 17:56 - Nov 6 by BartRowou

Agree with this.
It works the other way too. There are some comments on their forum suggesting that they'd have nothing to fear playing league football; it involves a bit more than a one-off match on an artificial pitch.

The pitch has nothing to do with anything, but yeah. Some of our newer fans (post 2012) have somewhat unrealistic expectations of us - our current side is probably just about good enough to stay up in the Conference and no more. The club can go higher though.

I'm gutted to concede so late having played so well, and it's another game on the calendar (that we'll lose) we could easily do without. Ah well, it's a reminder of progress if nothing else. Hopefully your travelling fans have a safe trip home.
Cup Match Thread on 18:09 - Nov 6 with 2178 viewsNorthernSou1

He did win the ball first cracking tackle. Just seen the highlights. Speaking to a few at HT who were adamant it was a pen. I disagreed. The ref had a terrible game. Watching the highlights you can see he clearly takes the ball of the striker, ball then player.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37813989
[Post edited 6 Nov 2016 18:13]
Cup Match Thread on 18:13 - Nov 6 with 2146 viewsrichfoad32

Got out of jail today to put it mildly. Harsh on Maidstone who are no world beaters but deserved their lead because we really created nothing of note apart from a Davies header that I thought he should've done better with that looped over the bar. Applied more pressure after McDermott came on and I guess we deserve credit for keeping going but I couldn't see an equaliser coming. Showed how much we will miss Calvin I think as Davies was outmuscled by their big centre half and rarely won anything in the air. We will be favourites going into the replay but it's no gimme.

On the plus side, the result will give everyone a lift after a rotten week for the club. There's no telling what it would do to morale if we crashed out of the cup on top of recent events. I thought Cannon and Camps both had good games as well and we're still in the hat for the Second Round....Up The Dale!
Cup Match Thread on 18:18 - Nov 6 with 2105 viewsdingdangblue

BBC match reports is claiming 'a deflection' - no chance - watched it a few times now and it flies straight in the bottom corner - great strike! Pisses me off them trying to make out Maidstone were hard done by even more by claiming a deflection that never was.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Cup Match Thread on 18:18 - Nov 6 with 2105 viewsrichfoad32

Cup Match Thread on 18:09 - Nov 6 by NorthernSou1

He did win the ball first cracking tackle. Just seen the highlights. Speaking to a few at HT who were adamant it was a pen. I disagreed. The ref had a terrible game. Watching the highlights you can see he clearly takes the ball of the striker, ball then player.

Thought it was a stonewall penalty at the time and think no differently after watching the highlights.....Canavan never touches the ball, the striker nicks it away from him just before he's bought down.
Cup Match Thread on 18:19 - Nov 6 with 2098 viewsrochedale

Cup Match Thread on 18:09 - Nov 6 by NorthernSou1

He doesn't, watch it on slo-mo, it's the attackers foot that sends the ball forward, not the tackle.

Cup Match Thread on 18:26 - Nov 6 with 2046 viewsmingthemerciless

Cup Match Thread on 17:56 - Nov 6 by BartRowou

Agree with this.

Thank you. At least somebody understands the point I'm trying to make.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024