Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, students. 09:44 - Sep 27 with 3295 viewsonehunglow

Many spending their time in demoes now find the virus has caught up with them and now they're in lock down.

Hmm

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

So, students. on 10:13 - Sep 28 with 737 viewsonehunglow

Just over 30,000 students in Glasgow

So, students. on 10:28 - Sep 28 with 723 viewscontroversial_jack

So, students. on 10:13 - Sep 28 by onehunglow

Cheers for that. There aren't 172 cases in Neath or PT over a short period of time, never mind 18 to 24 year olds
So, students. on 10:40 - Sep 28 with 718 viewsProfessor

So, students. on 10:13 - Sep 28 by onehunglow

31, 000 in University of Glasgow. but also Caledonian and Strathclyde, plus art school etc. Number is similar to Liverpool and Manchester in around 70,000-80,000
So, students. on 10:43 - Sep 28 with 716 viewsProfessor

So, students. on 10:05 - Sep 28 by controversial_jack

That was for the one particular Uni, there aren't 70 k there, surely?

Glasgow has three main universities CJ. Liverpool also has three plus Edgehill on the periphery.

Massive mixing between students who live in same areas, go to same bars etc.. Manchester University has about the largest intake of around 50K plus about 25K at MMU.
So, students. on 11:39 - Sep 28 with 698 viewsProfessor

Firstly, I am disappointed in the original post. Blaming students seems to be the latest distraction to avoid scrutiny of the chaotic handling of the pandemic in the UK. Not having a pop at the OP-as plenty are making the same comments on other outlets.

SO let’s look at the points that have been raised

1. Demos
Students these days are not a very politicised group -certainly no more than any other 18-25 year olds. You may hear of very radical policies from the NUS or Student’s Unions. But frankly those running to be SU or NUS officers tend to be those who see politics as a career. Most are far too concerned with studies, or having some fun-like Rich’s son who is a nice lad (though it is some year’s since I met him) and a credit to him and his wife. He is also very typical of how ‘normal’ students are. It’s really not like the Young Ones or History Man. So yes, there will have been students on demos. But most, like the BLM one in Liverpool were quiet, distanced and mask wearing affairs. But far more would not be students.
2. Why are students at university at all?
Thanks to the Office for Students basically telling universities they had to include substantial face-to-face teaching, This never really stopped for clinical degrees, but most academics and dare I say Universities wanted to deliver primarily online. A government/OFS decision to have face-to-face for all. As fee income, not a block grant from taxation, is how university funding works now the universities need customers. This decision was made by the Cameron government following from the top-up fees of the Blair government. Someone has to pay. Either the beneficiary or us all. We have gone for the former. Add on the chaos of ‘A’ level results which severely disrupted plans, you have a sector where some universities (Manchester Met) are clearly not prepared.
3. Why these case spikes in students?
Mainly as the big spikes-Liverpool, Manchester and Glasgow have happened where there are already areas of high infection. Glasgow looks bad, but has students back longer. It’s too early to say how returns will spread infection. But modelling from Bristol and common sense tell you massive mixing of populations or contacts is not a good idea. Closed environments like halls are going to see real problems -this feeds back to point 2.

4. I can comment on Liverpool. Here the four universities and LIPA are represented on the City and regional teams dealing with the pandemic. University of Liverpool is providing testing which feeds both into national and local test and trace systems (which could have been set up to support all local people-but SERCO were preferred) The city (Joe Anderson) and regional (Steve Rotherham) mayors are supportive. Students are a big part of the economy here. The City Council is however very much looking to clamp down on student parties and is focussed on Smithdown Road (the main student area) with door to door reminders, warnings and actions. The number of tests positive in students (around 100) is in line with our and the regional director of public health’s expectation.
5. Pubs, curfews and idiocy
What the OP posted here is absolutely correct-Liverpool like other cities experienced some moronic activity on Saturday when the 10pm curfew hit. There is no scientific reason for the curfew. I am led to believe the PM wanted a 2 week pub closure for a ‘circuit breaker’ but the chancellor disagreed. I think Johnson was right. But closing pubs and allowing off sales of alcohol is stupid. What else would happen?
That said Liverpool, especially Bold Street/Concert Square has been busy all summer. Eat out to help out kept the area busy all week. So again, not specifically students but people in general. Also, worth noting there were issue when a craft brewery/pub chain (who think they are a bit edgy) had off sales(including draught beers) in lockdown. Guess what happened-yes crowds outside!

Have a busy time in work now (we are allowed to start up research after a 6 month hiatus) so will not post again on this, or much in the few weeks.

Stay safe
So, students. on 09:08 - Sep 30 with 626 viewsWhiterockin

I'll just leave this here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-54349548
So, students. on 09:17 - Sep 30 with 615 viewsNotLoyal

So, students. on 09:08 - Sep 30 by Whiterockin

I'll just leave this here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-54349548

Where there's no penalty, there's no concern.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

So, students. on 09:55 - Sep 30 with 596 viewsonehunglow

If youre going to have rules/regulations ,regulate them or dont have them

Login to get fewer ads

So, students. on 10:07 - Sep 30 with 588 viewsWhiterockin

So, students. on 09:55 - Sep 30 by onehunglow

If youre going to have rules/regulations ,regulate them or dont have them

Agree.

This has been happening in Swansea for weeks. Some on here think because the term has only just started students have only just arrived. Some have been here since early September with numbers picking up throughout the month. Probably due to off site landlords charging a full month rent for September and some students wanting to get in early.
So, students. on 11:12 - Sep 30 with 565 viewsexhmrc1

So, students. on 10:07 - Sep 30 by Whiterockin

Agree.

This has been happening in Swansea for weeks. Some on here think because the term has only just started students have only just arrived. Some have been here since early September with numbers picking up throughout the month. Probably due to off site landlords charging a full month rent for September and some students wanting to get in early.

Generally in all universities first year students move in the weekend before freshers week which would have been the weekend before last ie 19 and 20 September. 2nd and 3rd years have houses from 1 September but the vast majority move in the week before term begins. There will be some who move in during early September but the vast majority would move in after 19th September. My son when he was a student in Exeter moved into his house early in September because they had an open day and he was working on it. His housemates didnt move in till weeks after. This is fact for all universities.

There is an article from Wales Online showing there are 32 cases from a house party on 12 September and the registrar mentions it was before the bulk of the students returned.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/swansea-university-coronavirus-par
So, students. on 11:21 - Sep 30 with 556 viewsWhiterockin

So, students. on 11:12 - Sep 30 by exhmrc1

Generally in all universities first year students move in the weekend before freshers week which would have been the weekend before last ie 19 and 20 September. 2nd and 3rd years have houses from 1 September but the vast majority move in the week before term begins. There will be some who move in during early September but the vast majority would move in after 19th September. My son when he was a student in Exeter moved into his house early in September because they had an open day and he was working on it. His housemates didnt move in till weeks after. This is fact for all universities.

There is an article from Wales Online showing there are 32 cases from a house party on 12 September and the registrar mentions it was before the bulk of the students returned.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/swansea-university-coronavirus-par

You can crack on about the date students arrive as much as you like, but a close friend of mine has been breaking up student parties in Swansea since early September and that is a fact.
So, students. on 11:44 - Sep 30 with 539 viewsonehunglow

Students after go to Uni because they have no idea what to do for a job and its a good 3/4 yr party.

My son had a decent degree but he knows as well as we he could have had a First had he not done what many students do ,ie party .He could also have gone on and done a Doctorate but his chums ,who did 3 years as opposed to his four ,had by then left leaving him with a Masters .

Daughter didnt go to Uni ,has her own business and doing pretty well. No debt and has large house and savings.

So, students. on 12:13 - Sep 30 with 519 viewsexhmrc1

So, students. on 11:21 - Sep 30 by Whiterockin

You can crack on about the date students arrive as much as you like, but a close friend of mine has been breaking up student parties in Swansea since early September and that is a fact.

Nearly every student I have known follows what I have listed. There will always be exceptions like Phd students who dont really have summer holidays or overseas students doing a year out who come over in August and have English courses and orientation trips organised but probably over 90% of students dont come back until the week before term or later.

Ask your close friend to do a proper survey if he says that I am wrong.
So, students. on 12:43 - Sep 30 with 514 viewsA_Fans_Dad

So, students. on 12:13 - Sep 30 by exhmrc1

Nearly every student I have known follows what I have listed. There will always be exceptions like Phd students who dont really have summer holidays or overseas students doing a year out who come over in August and have English courses and orientation trips organised but probably over 90% of students dont come back until the week before term or later.

Do all students attend Uni outside their own City/Town?
So, students. on 13:18 - Sep 30 with 498 viewsWhiterockin

So, students. on 12:13 - Sep 30 by exhmrc1

Why would a police officer need to do a survey on breaking up student parties? They are not the only problem there many not obeying the rules, but they are a major problem.

On a footnote, what you have known in the past is not necessarily valid in the current situation. What I am stating is not opinion or what I think things should be but facts. Stop digging.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 13:19]
So, students. on 13:24 - Sep 30 with 488 viewsexhmrc1

So, students. on 12:43 - Sep 30 by A_Fans_Dad

Do all students attend Uni outside their own City/Town?

No they dont many live at home and travel in and hence wouldnt be part of these parties.
So, students. on 13:30 - Sep 30 with 472 viewsexhmrc1

So, students. on 13:18 - Sep 30 by Whiterockin

Why would a police officer need to do a survey on breaking up student parties? They are not the only problem there many not obeying the rules, but they are a major problem.

On a footnote, what you have known in the past is not necessarily valid in the current situation. What I am stating is not opinion or what I think things should be but facts. Stop digging.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 13:19]

It happens the same way everywhere. University bars, cafes, shops nightclubs operate on reduced hours or not at all during summer months because the people left are generally staff and PhD students. Shops in student areas sometimes have reduced hours.

Most students go home at the end of term and come back just before the new one starts.

Perhaps it is time for your mate to put this in perspective. There are 23000 students in Swansea university. How many house parties has he broken up. Even if 50 with 20 in each that only works out 1000 students and some of these may be largely the same groups in different houses.

Most students would not have been back in early September.
So, students. on 13:45 - Sep 30 with 451 viewsWhiterockin

So, students. on 13:30 - Sep 30 by exhmrc1

It happens the same way everywhere. University bars, cafes, shops nightclubs operate on reduced hours or not at all during summer months because the people left are generally staff and PhD students. Shops in student areas sometimes have reduced hours.

Most students go home at the end of term and come back just before the new one starts.

Perhaps it is time for your mate to put this in perspective. There are 23000 students in Swansea university. How many house parties has he broken up. Even if 50 with 20 in each that only works out 1000 students and some of these may be largely the same groups in different houses.

Most students would not have been back in early September.

Clearly you will not let it go and continue to post your opinions and not facts. You have based your calculations again on figures you have plucked out of the air with no facts to back them up only your assumptions. He has been called to house parties with over a hundred students inside, these have been operating with full disco equipment being used. Your assumption of 50 is again way off the mark. The police are stretched to the limit at the moment and not all are student parties, look at the old patti pavilion the other week as an example. But students are a major problem. As I say I have posted facts not what I think.
So, students. on 13:49 - Sep 30 with 443 viewsProfessor

So, students. on 13:24 - Sep 30 by exhmrc1

No they dont many live at home and travel in and hence wouldnt be part of these parties.

Will be variable. we are about 80% from outside the area. This is pretty much the case for all Russell Group where majority are from outside, except for London which is lower and Oxbridge which is higher (have not sat on any education committees for some years so don't know exact figure).

Our Neighbours (Liverpool John Moores and Hope) have far more local students or commuting from nearby (e.g, Manchester). Probably more like 50-50 split. This is more common with post-92 universities (having worked in two).

From Swansea open day I think they said about 35% lived at home. Trinity St Davids will be higher
So, students. on 14:01 - Sep 30 with 431 viewsexhmrc1

So, students. on 13:45 - Sep 30 by Whiterockin

Clearly you will not let it go and continue to post your opinions and not facts. You have based your calculations again on figures you have plucked out of the air with no facts to back them up only your assumptions. He has been called to house parties with over a hundred students inside, these have been operating with full disco equipment being used. Your assumption of 50 is again way off the mark. The police are stretched to the limit at the moment and not all are student parties, look at the old patti pavilion the other week as an example. But students are a major problem. As I say I have posted facts not what I think.

There is also the case your mate is breaking the official secrets act by discussing this with you. Maybe his superiors should know about this so they can take appropriate action.

So how many parties has he broken up. How many have been students. How many have been the same people going to each others housing. It isnt just students who have parties. Look at the case of the Patti. The police have closed down Noahs Yard and the place on Castle Street. There has been bars closed in Llanelli and Neath. Not too many students living there,
So, students. on 14:03 - Sep 30 with 423 viewsWhiterockin

So, students. on 14:01 - Sep 30 by exhmrc1

There is also the case your mate is breaking the official secrets act by discussing this with you. Maybe his superiors should know about this so they can take appropriate action.

So how many parties has he broken up. How many have been students. How many have been the same people going to each others housing. It isnt just students who have parties. Look at the case of the Patti. The police have closed down Noahs Yard and the place on Castle Street. There has been bars closed in Llanelli and Neath. Not too many students living there,

Keep digging

Check the date of the party, check the number of infections from this one party. Blows your assumptions out of the water.

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2020-09-30/swansea-university-coronavirus-outbrea
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 14:08]
So, students. on 14:07 - Sep 30 with 412 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Swansea has around a third living at home but this is skewed because the School of Health and Human Sciences is large and has a very high percentage living at home. It’s fairly unusual for someone on a nursing degree or paramedic, audiology, cardiology etc to be from outside the area. Around 75% of our applicants for nursing live within 10 miles of Singleton campus although we have seen more from further afield recently since being awarded Nurse educator of the year in 2018 and runner up in 2017 and 2019.

All these courses start in the first week of September.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

So, students. on 14:17 - Sep 30 with 395 viewsProfessor

So, students. on 14:07 - Sep 30 by Joe_bradshaw

Swansea has around a third living at home but this is skewed because the School of Health and Human Sciences is large and has a very high percentage living at home. It’s fairly unusual for someone on a nursing degree or paramedic, audiology, cardiology etc to be from outside the area. Around 75% of our applicants for nursing live within 10 miles of Singleton campus although we have seen more from further afield recently since being awarded Nurse educator of the year in 2018 and runner up in 2017 and 2019.

All these courses start in the first week of September.

I remembered that 35% well from the Nursing/Midwifery
Open day!

These groups/degrees are also less likely to be having house parties then.
So, students. on 14:36 - Sep 30 with 384 viewsexhmrc1

So, students. on 14:03 - Sep 30 by Whiterockin

Keep digging

Check the date of the party, check the number of infections from this one party. Blows your assumptions out of the water.

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2020-09-30/swansea-university-coronavirus-outbrea
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 14:08]

No it doesnt it shows a group of 32 have been infected through 1 house party. What about the other 23000. How many of them have been infected. How many of them were in 1 party on 12 September. In fact, how many of them were in Swansea. There are nearly 4000 rooms between the Bay Campus, Singleton Campus and the Student Village so that is 4000 that wouldn't have been here as they werent open until 19 September. There are approximately 6000 who travel in each day. They wouldnt be here for parties. That is 10,000 before you start looking at people returning.

Get your friend to tell you the real truth. Yes there are parties and there are parties on non students as well. I ask again how many parties does your mate claim he has broken up from students between 1 September and 18 September. How many students were actually involved. How many have been involved in more than 1 party. How many parties have the police broken up with non students. Even if your mate claims the average student party claims there are 100 in each party which is highly unlikely how many parties have there been. It will only be a small fraction of students as most will not have returned.
So, students. on 15:17 - Sep 30 with 362 viewsbritferry

Looks like Swansea Uni is down to ONE super-spreader at a house party, who then passed it on to 32 others...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8789299/Single-superspreader-blamed-Swa

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024