Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The myth of the "38 match season" 20:55 - Feb 6 with 5923 viewsGlyn1

One of the explanations given for the decision to sack Michael Laudrup was that Swansea’s performance declined drastically over the last year. People have pointed out that over the last 38 games, which both began and ended with an away defeat to West Ham, the record was: played 38; won 9; drew 9; lost 20; for a total of 36 points. And that is relegation form.

What that argument does not take into account is that the fixtures weren’t evenly spread between all of the teams, and in that period the Swans played some teams three times, including Man City, Man Utd, and Spurs. Even the most sadistic fixture arranger would think that playing them three times in a season would be a bit harsh.

OK, knock out the third match of each of those teams and substitute three matches against teams that the Swans have only met once over that period (Crystal Palace, Hull, Sunderland). If the Swans get 4 points from those 3 fixtures then they have reached the magic 40 point mark: if they win all of them then they are on 45 points and back in the top half of the table. Crisis? What crisis?

What does this prove, apart from the fact that you can prove a lot of things with figures? Firstly, any manager who faces Man City, Man Utd and Spurs 3 times over a 38 game season is very likely to be sacked. Secondly, Laudrup was probably correct and the Swans should do much better in their remaining fixtures against comparatively weaker teams. But whether a new, untried manager will do as well as an experienced one such as Michael Laudrup is something that we are going to have to find out.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

The myth of the on 23:11 - Feb 7 with 664 viewsKingBony

The myth of the on 06:37 - Feb 7 by Jackanapes

I am supposing we will do as well as we did last season, as we have done almost identically this season, on occasion better, for instance we lost at Villa last season and we lost at home to Fulham last season. I think its not truthful to say we have been homogeneously terrible at home, as least no more so than last season. There is also no denying that we improved of late.
If the games had come in this order last season, we would have been in this situation last season. I wonder if Laudrup would have got the sack, in the exact same situation, last season.
We will never know what would have happened had Laudrup stayed, the last poll on here showed most people thought we would stay up with him at the helm. It should be more of a surprise that most people appear to shifted that view. I can foresee though that future history has already been written. If we stay up it will be because Huw sacked Laudrup, and if we go down it will be because Huw sacked Laudrup too late.

What a load of bullocks!

Daddy Daddy cool, Daddy Daddy cool

(No subject) on 23:16 - Feb 7 with 665 viewsmorningstar

(No subject) on 22:56 - Feb 7 by singalongajack

there's a saying
there's nothing more frightening than a click, when you expected a bang.
fit that analogy to anything you want.
i've been a welsh rugby fan all my life
ive been there through the highs
and the years of woe until recent times.
the same goes with the swans.
hwyl is the difference between a weaker team beating a stronger team.
on our day, with the fire going, we can beat anyone
it's all about hunger and grit.
if you believe you can, or believe you cant, your right.
saying teams aren't in our league, within a league, is a negative psychological factor that i bet you'd never hear alladyce or clough say
(sorry to say alladyce in same sentance with clough. i'm pised and cant think too deeply, just rant)
we need belief in our style and practice a few more moves.(crossing, hitting the target, more movement)
hwyl is what we need.
win or die trying

Great post, and totally agree! However, I was merely pointing out that comparing last seasons results to this is folly!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

The myth of the "38 match season" on 00:11 - Feb 8 with 635 viewsJJJack

The myth of the "38 match season" on 02:27 - Feb 7 by Catullus

Oh good god!!

It isn't all about the results. The West Ham game was one of the worst efforts I have seen in years. For months now we have been a shadow of our former selves. And as for managing expectations, most managers would go for "it'll be hard but we'll give it a go" not run up the white Flag and play last post before the game even kicked off.
We all know any point against the top 6 is a very good point, but they are not invincible. And didn't Laudrup once say why turn up if you don't think you can win, about Europe I think but it applies domestically too.
Seems to me the real doom and gloom merchants are out now. Oh woe is me, the board are lying, there has to be some deep dark secret!!
Well maybe there is. But I'd rather our dirty linen wasn't washed in public, specially when it won't make the slightest damned difference.
Now isn't the time for tearing the board or Monk to shreds, or for supporting Laudrup, now is the time for supporting the club.
We are in a relegation battle, we are heading towards an iceberg. It's time to change direction, not scuttle the ship!

amen to that!
(No subject) on 06:04 - Feb 8 with 605 viewsJackanapes

(No subject) on 23:16 - Feb 7 by morningstar

Great post, and totally agree! However, I was merely pointing out that comparing last seasons results to this is folly!

And Im pointing out that it isnt.
Anyway my point was, if we had played last seasons games in this seasons order, we would have had 25 points at this stage. That's not up for discussion. I just wonder if everyone would have been so comically hysterical last season, had that situation arose.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2014 6:08]

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

(No subject) on 13:46 - Feb 8 with 566 viewsmorningstar

(No subject) on 06:04 - Feb 8 by Jackanapes

And Im pointing out that it isnt.
Anyway my point was, if we had played last seasons games in this seasons order, we would have had 25 points at this stage. That's not up for discussion. I just wonder if everyone would have been so comically hysterical last season, had that situation arose.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2014 6:08]

Ok, then yes I think they would have been.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024