Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The myth of the "38 match season" 20:55 - Feb 6 with 5924 viewsGlyn1

One of the explanations given for the decision to sack Michael Laudrup was that Swansea’s performance declined drastically over the last year. People have pointed out that over the last 38 games, which both began and ended with an away defeat to West Ham, the record was: played 38; won 9; drew 9; lost 20; for a total of 36 points. And that is relegation form.

What that argument does not take into account is that the fixtures weren’t evenly spread between all of the teams, and in that period the Swans played some teams three times, including Man City, Man Utd, and Spurs. Even the most sadistic fixture arranger would think that playing them three times in a season would be a bit harsh.

OK, knock out the third match of each of those teams and substitute three matches against teams that the Swans have only met once over that period (Crystal Palace, Hull, Sunderland). If the Swans get 4 points from those 3 fixtures then they have reached the magic 40 point mark: if they win all of them then they are on 45 points and back in the top half of the table. Crisis? What crisis?

What does this prove, apart from the fact that you can prove a lot of things with figures? Firstly, any manager who faces Man City, Man Utd and Spurs 3 times over a 38 game season is very likely to be sacked. Secondly, Laudrup was probably correct and the Swans should do much better in their remaining fixtures against comparatively weaker teams. But whether a new, untried manager will do as well as an experienced one such as Michael Laudrup is something that we are going to have to find out.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

The myth of the "38 match season" on 21:02 - Feb 6 with 3985 viewsPozuelosSideys

Alternatively, we are two points off the relegation spots, lost the second of our "winnable" run of 4 games, looked awful doing it and have a massive game against our rivals and fellow relegation strugglers.

Under ML, had we have lost the next 2, we would be through or very near the trap door with Liverpool and Everton away next up.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

The myth of the "38 match season" on 21:04 - Feb 6 with 3975 viewsChefbech

More figures:

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/102286/are-we-doing-so-b
The myth of the "38 match season" on 21:11 - Feb 6 with 3894 viewsmonmouth

Do you really think any of that gubbins is why the board wanted him out? There is clearly something else going on here that may or may not come out in the wash. Our Board is not going to burn between 3 and 5m unless they really thought there was no alternative. Actually it's more because if we'd survived under ML, we'd have got compo when he left in the summer.

It is completely against the natueof the beast to be financially profligate,so if they thought there was any real hope with ML, wouldn't they surely have kept him on? Maybe the reality will emerge at some stage, probably in a player's ghost written book.

Having said that,I don't see the point of revisionism or mud slinging either to justify it. Fact is he's our most successful manager ever. Just because he couldn't maintain it and ended like this doesn't change it. Without him we almost certainly would not have won a cup...mainly because most managers wouldn't have played hard for it. I'llremember his achievements rather than his demise when I'm boring my great grandkids.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The myth of the "38 match season" on 21:14 - Feb 6 with 3847 viewsGeoffThom

It's not just the amount of games lost it was the downright defeatist attitude when we played these teams in the league this year I for one was fed up with the oh we can't beat them their not in our league nonsense
The myth of the "38 match season" on 21:19 - Feb 6 with 3800 viewsSwansNZ

The myth of the "38 match season" on 21:11 - Feb 6 by monmouth

Do you really think any of that gubbins is why the board wanted him out? There is clearly something else going on here that may or may not come out in the wash. Our Board is not going to burn between 3 and 5m unless they really thought there was no alternative. Actually it's more because if we'd survived under ML, we'd have got compo when he left in the summer.

It is completely against the natueof the beast to be financially profligate,so if they thought there was any real hope with ML, wouldn't they surely have kept him on? Maybe the reality will emerge at some stage, probably in a player's ghost written book.

Having said that,I don't see the point of revisionism or mud slinging either to justify it. Fact is he's our most successful manager ever. Just because he couldn't maintain it and ended like this doesn't change it. Without him we almost certainly would not have won a cup...mainly because most managers wouldn't have played hard for it. I'llremember his achievements rather than his demise when I'm boring my great grandkids.

Well said.

Points wise (taking into account the teams we have played over that period), then ML did not deserve to be sacked. BUT, there was obviously things going on in the background, that the board felt compelled to take such drastic action - it's not as if we are a sacking club or Huw is a person who likes to splash the cash.

ML did great, but he has gone, so trust in the board, and just move on.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

The myth of the "38 match season" on 21:22 - Feb 6 with 3761 viewsSgorioFruit

The myth of the "38 match season" on 21:02 - Feb 6 by PozuelosSideys

Alternatively, we are two points off the relegation spots, lost the second of our "winnable" run of 4 games, looked awful doing it and have a massive game against our rivals and fellow relegation strugglers.

Under ML, had we have lost the next 2, we would be through or very near the trap door with Liverpool and Everton away next up.

Spot on. Allthough a bit scary to read.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

The myth of the on 21:23 - Feb 6 with 3756 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

I honestly don't think there was anything untoward going on that necessitated this sacking; I think it's genuinely a case of the results/performances over the past 2-3 months being the reason, nothing else. You could chuck a few things on as icing on the cake, but the cake is the results.

This is Laudrup we're talking about, not Paolo Di Canio. He's a bit of a dull man in some senses. I really really can't see there being some off-field antics that horrified the board.

They felt, erroneously in my eyes, that we were sleepwalking to relegation and wanted to put into effect their cherished 'bootroom' policy in the form of Monk and saw the defeat to West Ham as a suitable trigger point.

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

The myth of the "38 match season" on 21:29 - Feb 6 with 3700 viewsexiledclaseboy

What he said by there.

Poll: Tory leader

Login to get fewer ads

The myth of the on 21:40 - Feb 6 with 3617 viewsmonmouth

The myth of the on 21:23 - Feb 6 by FearOfAJackPlanet

I honestly don't think there was anything untoward going on that necessitated this sacking; I think it's genuinely a case of the results/performances over the past 2-3 months being the reason, nothing else. You could chuck a few things on as icing on the cake, but the cake is the results.

This is Laudrup we're talking about, not Paolo Di Canio. He's a bit of a dull man in some senses. I really really can't see there being some off-field antics that horrified the board.

They felt, erroneously in my eyes, that we were sleepwalking to relegation and wanted to put into effect their cherished 'bootroom' policy in the form of Monk and saw the defeat to West Ham as a suitable trigger point.

I don't think theres a scandal, but something was irretrievably broken. Even looking at the last few months results (and performances, not just WH and Spurs, but Man C, Villa, Newc and manyou cup) surely even the most pessimistic loon would not discount 14 points from the particular 14 matches we have remaining which will probably be enough this season. Plus the return of some major players.

Surely to god the odds don't imply a probability that would get this particular set of people to splurge millions to instal a high risk rookie, that might have been achieved in 3 months time with no heat or fuss. I'm not saying this wasn't the right decision (I'm more and more enthused by the day), but it must have taken something precipitous to trigger it now mustn't it?

I'd be amazed if it were just short term form, but then again nothing should surprise anyone with the craziness of this league I suppose.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The myth of the "38 match season" on 21:46 - Feb 6 with 3566 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

its not an exact science though is it this "it will even out over the season as you play everyone twice." Teams form ebbs and flows irrespective of results

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

The myth of the on 21:49 - Feb 6 with 3542 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

The myth of the on 21:40 - Feb 6 by monmouth

I don't think theres a scandal, but something was irretrievably broken. Even looking at the last few months results (and performances, not just WH and Spurs, but Man C, Villa, Newc and manyou cup) surely even the most pessimistic loon would not discount 14 points from the particular 14 matches we have remaining which will probably be enough this season. Plus the return of some major players.

Surely to god the odds don't imply a probability that would get this particular set of people to splurge millions to instal a high risk rookie, that might have been achieved in 3 months time with no heat or fuss. I'm not saying this wasn't the right decision (I'm more and more enthused by the day), but it must have taken something precipitous to trigger it now mustn't it?

I'd be amazed if it were just short term form, but then again nothing should surprise anyone with the craziness of this league I suppose.

I think the board need to clarify for us, the supporters, the reason for the sacking. The wholly unsatisfactory official reason given is something along the lines of 'resolving the unpredictability over his future' which is utter utter w*ank.

If, as it seems, the club are forking out £4-5 million pounds (goodbye expansion) on this with only 14 games to go - after which the guy would probably have left anyway, maybe with a compensation payment to us from a new club (a la Sousa) - then I really feel the fans deserve a better explanation than the 'continuing uncertainty over his long-term future' one.

If there were grave concerns over aspects of his management, then surely it's right that this is brought into the open as it justifies the actions taken and puts the fans mind at ease? I don't see the need to keep it so quiet when it's so financially injurious to the club. This is a major MAJOR decision. I'd like the reasons.

Enjoying the next level

The myth of the on 21:57 - Feb 6 with 3476 viewsPozuelosSideys

The myth of the on 21:49 - Feb 6 by FearOfAJackPlanet

I think the board need to clarify for us, the supporters, the reason for the sacking. The wholly unsatisfactory official reason given is something along the lines of 'resolving the unpredictability over his future' which is utter utter w*ank.

If, as it seems, the club are forking out £4-5 million pounds (goodbye expansion) on this with only 14 games to go - after which the guy would probably have left anyway, maybe with a compensation payment to us from a new club (a la Sousa) - then I really feel the fans deserve a better explanation than the 'continuing uncertainty over his long-term future' one.

If there were grave concerns over aspects of his management, then surely it's right that this is brought into the open as it justifies the actions taken and puts the fans mind at ease? I don't see the need to keep it so quiet when it's so financially injurious to the club. This is a major MAJOR decision. I'd like the reasons.

The board need to clarify the reason for the sacking? I think the gutless performance against West Ham and the piss poor performances and constant excuses (me included) for them over the season is enough. As somebody else mentioned on here "we were sleepwalking into the Championship".

Thats enough for me.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."

The myth of the "38 match season" on 22:02 - Feb 6 with 3419 viewsgoontheswans

The myth of the "38 match season" on 21:14 - Feb 6 by GeoffThom

It's not just the amount of games lost it was the downright defeatist attitude when we played these teams in the league this year I for one was fed up with the oh we can't beat them their not in our league nonsense

Rodgers conceding Liverpool are not title challenges

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26061871

Even Mourinho saying Chelsea are not title contenders

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26023637

Both from this week. Do you really think before the games Laudrup was telling the players they can't win? He is just rightly trying to manager expectation. Which I fear is off the chart at the moment.

What do you want him to say, we just signed Marvin Emnes, look out Augero and City, we are coming for you!!
The myth of the "38 match season" on 22:06 - Feb 6 with 3385 viewsPozuelosSideys

The myth of the "38 match season" on 22:02 - Feb 6 by goontheswans

Rodgers conceding Liverpool are not title challenges

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26061871

Even Mourinho saying Chelsea are not title contenders

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26023637

Both from this week. Do you really think before the games Laudrup was telling the players they can't win? He is just rightly trying to manager expectation. Which I fear is off the chart at the moment.

What do you want him to say, we just signed Marvin Emnes, look out Augero and City, we are coming for you!!

Playing things down and "managing expectation" which is "off the chart"? Are you fhcuking mad? We are in it up to our eyeballs, not aiming for teh Champions League!

The myth of the on 22:16 - Feb 6 with 3316 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

The myth of the on 21:57 - Feb 6 by PozuelosSideys

The board need to clarify the reason for the sacking? I think the gutless performance against West Ham and the piss poor performances and constant excuses (me included) for them over the season is enough. As somebody else mentioned on here "we were sleepwalking into the Championship".

Thats enough for me.

Great. If that's enough for you, fine. If that was the board's reasoning then I'd just like to know. So much to ask?

Enjoying the next level

The myth of the "38 match season" on 22:17 - Feb 6 with 3316 viewsgoontheswans

The myth of the "38 match season" on 22:06 - Feb 6 by PozuelosSideys

Playing things down and "managing expectation" which is "off the chart"? Are you fhcuking mad? We are in it up to our eyeballs, not aiming for teh Champions League!

Yes I know exactly where we are and what my expectation is, but I was replying to this

"oh we can't beat them their not in our league nonsense"
The myth of the on 22:25 - Feb 6 with 3268 viewsPozuelosSideys

The myth of the on 22:16 - Feb 6 by FearOfAJackPlanet

Great. If that's enough for you, fine. If that was the board's reasoning then I'd just like to know. So much to ask?

Not at all.

But we've developed a reputation of being a friendly club who does things their own way and with style as well as substance and that means a lot when developing yourself as a brand.

This is the first manager we've sacked in 10 years and it just smacks of the board trying to do it in a "nice way" and parting on good terms in a situation they just have very little experience of. The club, the board nor ML himself need their names dragging through the mud for various reasons.

At the end of the day we dont have enough point to be comfortable and performances arent improving. Its clear and there for everyone to see.

The myth of the "38 match season" on 22:35 - Feb 6 with 3203 viewsmacman

The myth of the "38 match season" on 21:02 - Feb 6 by PozuelosSideys

What if the same happens under Monk? Will he still have a steady hand?
The myth of the "38 match season" on 22:36 - Feb 6 with 3191 viewsJackanapes

The fixtures fell kindly last season. We had 34 points by this stage i think. If we had played last seasons games in this seasons order, we would only have accrued 25 points by this stage last season. I wonder would the collective arse have gone then?

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

The myth of the "38 match season" on 22:41 - Feb 6 with 3157 viewsmacman

The myth of the "38 match season" on 21:14 - Feb 6 by GeoffThom

it's not about beating the big 8, it's about beating the rest and actually he did beat quite a few of them in his own quiet way. You dont know anything if you think players are not motivated when meeint the Big 8, and if not can they call themselves professional?
The myth of the "38 match season" on 22:46 - Feb 6 with 3129 viewsPozuelosSideys

The myth of the "38 match season" on 22:35 - Feb 6 by macman

What if the same happens under Monk? Will he still have a steady hand?

If i knew the answer to that i would be laying some chunky bets. At the very least i would hope theres some fire in the performances instead of the turgid, disjointed, slow stuff we've seen a lot of this season.

The myth of the on 22:47 - Feb 6 with 3117 viewsdukemedia

The myth of the "38 match season" on 22:36 - Feb 6 by Jackanapes

The fixtures fell kindly last season. We had 34 points by this stage i think. If we had played last seasons games in this seasons order, we would only have accrued 25 points by this stage last season. I wonder would the collective arse have gone then?

Doesn't really matter how the fixtures fall when you play every team in the first half of the season and every team in the second half and we've just past the half-way point, does it?

The myth of the "38 match season" on 22:49 - Feb 6 with 3100 viewsJackFish

I agree with Monmouth and NZ, I just can't see this being about results alone. Like the OP says, and plenty of us have been saying for a while, results have been disappointing but not that bad, and the board don't exactly have a history of sacking managers.
The myth of the "38 match season" on 22:53 - Feb 6 with 3064 viewsWatchman

that is not an argument that is fact! results are not good enough

manager did not manage well
coaches did not coach well
players did not play well

furcking simple

enjoy your spell in the ALGARVE Mickey brilliant player so so manager

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

The myth of the "38 match season" on 02:27 - Feb 7 with 2817 viewsCatullus

Oh good god!!

It isn't all about the results. The West Ham game was one of the worst efforts I have seen in years. For months now we have been a shadow of our former selves. And as for managing expectations, most managers would go for "it'll be hard but we'll give it a go" not run up the white Flag and play last post before the game even kicked off.
We all know any point against the top 6 is a very good point, but they are not invincible. And didn't Laudrup once say why turn up if you don't think you can win, about Europe I think but it applies domestically too.
Seems to me the real doom and gloom merchants are out now. Oh woe is me, the board are lying, there has to be some deep dark secret!!
Well maybe there is. But I'd rather our dirty linen wasn't washed in public, specially when it won't make the slightest damned difference.
Now isn't the time for tearing the board or Monk to shreds, or for supporting Laudrup, now is the time for supporting the club.
We are in a relegation battle, we are heading towards an iceberg. It's time to change direction, not scuttle the ship!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024