Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Downes, and out 16:58 - Nov 27 with 8658 viewsAndyCole

A waste of a midfield slot behind Grimes

We are so too defensive with Downes anchoring Grimes.

In the 94rd minute today he was our last man defender, wtf.

He had moments previously flunked his lines in a 'Back 4 ', gifting Reading a corner in the dying minutes.

Yet some on here have wanted him to replace our very Best player, captain and leader. Grimesy. Twp as.

[Post edited 27 Nov 2021 16:59]

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Downes, and out on 20:51 - Nov 27 with 1305 viewsAndyCole

So, the 3 stooges have become 4 or 5, going around in circles in the playground , looking to vent. And still offer nothing more.

Downes was the weakest link when we needed our strongest.

Martin has to instead look at Walsh when N'tcham is flagging, as he does, on 60. Or Oba in the mix earlier.

Downes should only be deployed if and when Smith or Grimes get injured.

And still the stooges have nothing to proffer about Downes' merits. How very predictable.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Downes, and out on 21:01 - Nov 27 with 1284 viewsGwyn737

Downes, and out on 20:51 - Nov 27 by AndyCole

So, the 3 stooges have become 4 or 5, going around in circles in the playground , looking to vent. And still offer nothing more.

Martin has to instead look at Walsh when N'tcham is flagging, as he does, on 60. Or Oba in the mix earlier.

And still the stooges have nothing to proffer about Downes' merits. How very predictable.

6 🙋🏻
Downes, and out on 21:03 - Nov 27 with 1275 viewsKeithHaynes

On the Liam Walsh point I agree entirely, it was a fantastic opportunity for him today to create something, he has all the skill to do so. He would have come on to the pitch with some serious points to prove.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Downes, and out on 21:04 - Nov 27 with 1273 viewsFireboy2

As I've ready mentioned, it was evident today that we didn't concede and played our best football after downes came on.
Downes, and out on 21:06 - Nov 27 with 1264 viewsTreforys_Jack

Only person venting is you, you loon. Any comment on our talisman, contributing 3 goals and 3 assists in the last 70games, despite being on freekick, penalty and corner duty? I won't hold my breath.
Downes, and out on 21:08 - Nov 27 with 1256 viewsbuilthjack

Downes, and out on 19:47 - Nov 27 by Dr_Winston

Grimes is, and always has been, horrendous at set pieces.

He should be nowhere near a dead ball.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Downes, and out on 21:10 - Nov 27 with 1250 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Downes, and out on 21:08 - Nov 27 by builthjack

Or a live one in my honest opinion

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Downes, and out on 21:11 - Nov 27 with 1248 viewsDr_Winston

Downes, and out on 21:08 - Nov 27 by builthjack

There's lots of things he should be nowhere near. The team is another one based on todays performance.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Downes, and out on 21:15 - Nov 27 with 1239 viewsTreforys_Jack

Downes, and out on 21:11 - Nov 27 by Dr_Winston

There's lots of things he should be nowhere near. The team is another one based on todays performance.

You'll be on the naughty list with comments like that.
Downes, and out on 21:16 - Nov 27 with 1238 viewsmax936

Downes, and out on 21:03 - Nov 27 by KeithHaynes

On the Liam Walsh point I agree entirely, it was a fantastic opportunity for him today to create something, he has all the skill to do so. He would have come on to the pitch with some serious points to prove.

Keith, Walsh is to lightweight to play tiddly winks let alone Championship football, waste of a a signing and a wage.
He'll never shine here ever, sadly, for him and SCFC.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2021 21:25]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Downes, and out on 21:24 - Nov 27 with 1226 viewsDr_Winston

Downes, and out on 21:15 - Nov 27 by Treforys_Jack

You'll be on the naughty list with comments like that.

I'm sure I'll manage.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Downes, and out on 23:20 - Nov 27 with 1176 viewsDJack

Downes, and out on 20:28 - Nov 27 by magicdaps10

Let's be fair, you have made a right tw@t of yourself with this post and the original post.

It's not an unusual position for him is it.

Bless.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Downes, and out on 23:22 - Nov 27 with 1173 viewsDJack

Downes, and out on 21:03 - Nov 27 by KeithHaynes

...Tactful.

Splinters hurting? 🤣

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Downes, and out on 00:11 - Nov 28 with 1155 viewsRichardO

Nice change by Martin today by having Ntcham picking up ball deep as a one of the pair in front of the back three early doors, he manage to get the ball forward with his skill,power, pace and accurate passing only trouble was his defensive partner Grimes hasn't got the pace to do the job so Smith had to swap with Ntcham to go back to the familiar formation ending with slow ball from the back.
Would like to see Smith partnered with Ntcham and Downes further forward on right (Ntcham and Laird not working well together and seems to be stifling them both)would mean dropping Grimes(See lists of failings some of which may be due to fatigue).
I would rather see Downes in the team than Grimes he is faster, and more tenacious, able to recover some of his mistakes, come to that I would also prefer Fulton to Grimes, beccause last season Fulton and Smith had to cover for Grimes meaning we couldn't.get up the pitch in the midfield fast enough.
The passing game is great if it is done fast enough to utilise the pace and the quality forward we have in the team.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2021 0:40]
Downes, and out on 04:18 - Nov 28 with 1121 viewsTreforys_Jack

Downes, and out on 00:11 - Nov 28 by RichardO

Nice change by Martin today by having Ntcham picking up ball deep as a one of the pair in front of the back three early doors, he manage to get the ball forward with his skill,power, pace and accurate passing only trouble was his defensive partner Grimes hasn't got the pace to do the job so Smith had to swap with Ntcham to go back to the familiar formation ending with slow ball from the back.
Would like to see Smith partnered with Ntcham and Downes further forward on right (Ntcham and Laird not working well together and seems to be stifling them both)would mean dropping Grimes(See lists of failings some of which may be due to fatigue).
I would rather see Downes in the team than Grimes he is faster, and more tenacious, able to recover some of his mistakes, come to that I would also prefer Fulton to Grimes, beccause last season Fulton and Smith had to cover for Grimes meaning we couldn't.get up the pitch in the midfield fast enough.
The passing game is great if it is done fast enough to utilise the pace and the quality forward we have in the team.

Oh eck, now you've gone and done it.
Downes, and out on 10:11 - Nov 28 with 1049 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Downes, and out on 00:11 - Nov 28 by RichardO

Post of the day - proper analysis of what’s really going wrong. I’ve got a lot of time for Martin but his insistence on playing Grimes as passenger in chief cost us big time yesterday. He’s learnt as he’s gone along this season but this is his biggest test. If he drops Grimes, even for a few games I can see our play speeding up to the level we need.

Downes, and out on 22:32 - Nov 29 with 959 viewsAndyCole

And still nothing of substance from the Downesists here. Not even his uber fan.

Signed for more than Joel Piroe. Bonkers.

This thread is about how Downes hinders our go-forward. He chooses to sit far too deep - even when he's brought on to change the game when chasing a deficit. Maybe it's a confidence thing. Rejected by League1 Ipswich (and a manager with a proper midfield pedigree), assigned apprentice hod-carrier role early doors here, kept on finding himself way out of position, quickly consigned to the bench to watch and learn from the master.

Smith is far more accomplished in that anchor space. Grimes and Ntcham are at an altogether different level to play clever, sweeping interplay.

Then, Fulton for Ntcham. Walsh when he's proper fit.

Williams is a far more rounded option than Downes, for the deeper Mid roles.

It seems Martin largely agrees with his selection and in-game tactics.

The worrying thing is that Martin's biggest moneyball signings are letting us Downs.

C'mon Downesists - is he really down 'n out ?

Downes, and out on 22:45 - Nov 29 with 948 viewsFireboy2

Downes, and out on 10:11 - Nov 28 by Brynmill_Jack

Post of the day - proper analysis of what’s really going wrong. I’ve got a lot of time for Martin but his insistence on playing Grimes as passenger in chief cost us big time yesterday. He’s learnt as he’s gone along this season but this is his biggest test. If he drops Grimes, even for a few games I can see our play speeding up to the level we need.

Well done brynnie he fell for the trap 👍
Downes, and out on 22:48 - Nov 29 with 944 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Downes, and out on 22:45 - Nov 29 by Fireboy2

Well done brynnie he fell for the trap 👍

He’s mentioning Grimes and Ntcham in the same sentence. Ha ha

Downes, and out on 22:55 - Nov 29 with 941 viewsFireboy2

Downes, and out on 22:48 - Nov 29 by Brynmill_Jack

He’s mentioning Grimes and Ntcham in the same sentence. Ha ha

Yeah I know, I've just stopped laughing mate.
Downes, and out on 01:46 - Nov 30 with 902 viewsRichardO

Downes, and out on 22:32 - Nov 29 by AndyCole

And still nothing of substance from the Downesists here. Not even his uber fan.

Signed for more than Joel Piroe. Bonkers.

This thread is about how Downes hinders our go-forward. He chooses to sit far too deep - even when he's brought on to change the game when chasing a deficit. Maybe it's a confidence thing. Rejected by League1 Ipswich (and a manager with a proper midfield pedigree), assigned apprentice hod-carrier role early doors here, kept on finding himself way out of position, quickly consigned to the bench to watch and learn from the master.

Smith is far more accomplished in that anchor space. Grimes and Ntcham are at an altogether different level to play clever, sweeping interplay.

Then, Fulton for Ntcham. Walsh when he's proper fit.

Williams is a far more rounded option than Downes, for the deeper Mid roles.

It seems Martin largely agrees with his selection and in-game tactics.

The worrying thing is that Martin's biggest moneyball signings are letting us Downs.

C'mon Downesists - is he really down 'n out ?

Downes doesn't choose to sit deep in the midfield, he is asked to by the manager to cover the backs with his pace.
In the Reading game he replaced Smith who I presume given his age and work rated needed to be rested and even Smith had to swap with Ntcham early on who was quite impressive but you wouldn't want your best forward thinking midfield dropping deep to do the covering and you wouldn't want Grimes with his lack of pace to do the covering either.
So the job fell to Downes, letting the more experienced Naughton to push on to the midfield to try and get back into the game.
So where is best suited to use Downes skill set, for me it would be further forward possibly partnering Ntcham but issues in defense need to be sorted out first and would mean Paterson possibly moving out to the left wing where he seems to spend a lot of time anyway.
Downes, and out on 14:21 - Nov 30 with 829 viewstheloneranger

... "our very Best player, captain and leader. Grimesy."

Your hero takes nearly every set piece.

Why are we the only side in the Championship without a goal from a set piece??

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Downes, and out on 14:31 - Nov 30 with 820 viewsjasper_T

Downes, and out on 14:21 - Nov 30 by theloneranger

No big lads in the box.
Downes, and out on 16:13 - Nov 30 with 790 viewsTreforys_Jack

Downes, and out on 14:21 - Nov 30 by theloneranger

Only one of those descriptions in your first sentence is true.
Downes, and out on 09:33 - Dec 1 with 739 viewsCatullus

Downes, and out on 19:48 - Nov 27 by AndyCole

There was I hoping for an intelligent, grown up discussion about why we are so much worse with Downes brought on the pitch when chasing a game, at home against a bottom tiered team. And the 3 stooges show up, with a lackey with an agenda.

We lost at home against a bottom team, and the best you stooges can do is this ?

Downes was our weakest link when we needed our strongest, to steal the game away from a bottom 3 team.

We needed far better options off the bench. Walsh for sure, to take the game to them. Not on the bench, Williams, Obafemi, Whittaker..

Stooges, this ain't rocket science.

Was downes at fault for any of the goals we conceded? No but Grimes was.

Were we better or worse when Downes came on, I say better so it's use the arrows as vote time.

What symbiosis has Pato got with Grimes? Pato has developed an understanding with Piroe. Without Downes there Grimes returned to slowing things right down and passing along the back with no forward looking, attacking intent. It was really painful.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024