Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 AFTERMATH 16:10 - Sep 26 with 21119 viewsNotLoyal

The reason this is a thing
Swansea City head to south London on Wednesday undefeated in the last four games with three draws and a win. Fulham are going through a slight blip bit are favourites to take all the points in this game. Manager Marco Silva isn’t under any pressure as yet but if the swans do pull off a result as Reading did earlier in the month, then he may well start to feel some pressure.

Fulham facts and stuff
Fulham used to be in Kent before it was moved to ‘Sarf Landan’ It’s a friendly place, full of people who want to run antique shops and deli’s that open for an hour on a Sunday morning. Bananarama live inside Craven Cottage and have done so since the cruel summer of 1983. An example of how posh the area is - The Hurlingham, which famous for polo, golf and croquet with its Georgian clubhouse nestled amongst stunning 42 acre grounds is in Fulham. It has a fifteen year waiting list. This of course is a long time to wait for anything. Especially for a snobby English game called croquet, by the time you get a game bats will have changed design dramatically. And probably be made out of cheese. Fulham is an area belonging to an Anglo-Saxon area called Fulla, but rather than the usual 'ham' meaning homestead, this one was originally 'hamm', signifying a bend in the river. Nothing like a bend in your river. Clearly this is wrong as it’s now historically accepted that Fulham changed its name in 1954 after the great riots of greatness. The riots were remembered as being so great they were copied in 1982 in Brixton which at the time was in Bedford.

Pruton’s pear shaped prediction
“Fulham have just slipped a little in recent games in terms of results, and have at times looked a little less than the sum of their parts. It just proves how tough this league is, considering there was early talk of how they may well have run away with it. “Swansea got back to winning ways on Saturday with a narrow victory over Huddersfield. It will have done Russell Martin the world of good in what is surely a season of consolidation for them, but I think Fulham will have too much at Craven Cottage.”

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/55887/fulham-v-swansea-c

Flynn gets down with the press

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/55903/swansea-city-fall-

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:09 - Sep 29 with 1328 viewsDr_Parnassus

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:03 - Sep 29 by jackrabbit

We played as well as we could with the players at our disposal. Fulham are a better team with better players. Forget it and move on.

I can’t agree, I expected to lose yes.

But didn’t expect that we would make it so easy for them. Lots of meaningless possession again when we could have been attacking them.

But yes. 0 points expected and 0 got, so not really a lot different at the end of the day. This result won’t define our season.

But we need to have some accountability now. “Forget this one” when we lose to good teams and “it’ll come” when we lose to bad teams is a recipe for disaster.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:10 - Sep 29 with 1332 viewsguthrieintherain

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:07 - Sep 29 by icecoldjack

Downes is a better footballer than grimes, Martin didnt fancy taking off the captain, no point of putring on a striker when one of the guys pulling the strings behind will not move it quick or forward !
No point in chewing the fat about which position downes is, the formation is so fluid its hard to actually designate defind roles.

The biggest concern for me was everytime we lost the ball Fulham looked like they would score.

Too easy to play against Martin needs to adapt.

Poll: What will happen with Morgan Whittaker

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:11 - Sep 29 with 1331 viewsjasper_T

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:07 - Sep 29 by icecoldjack

Downes is a better footballer than grimes, Martin didnt fancy taking off the captain, no point of putring on a striker when one of the guys pulling the strings behind will not move it quick or forward !
No point in chewing the fat about which position downes is, the formation is so fluid its hard to actually designate defind roles.

I don't think Downes had a good game at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one to go off because of fitness/covid, same as last week.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:11 - Sep 29 with 1328 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:01 - Sep 29 by jasper_T

Smith usually "does alright" because he passes responsibility. Always pointing, always talking, rarely puts himself into any tough situations. See the dummy late on when a brave player would have taken on the shot. Only got regular touches when we went two up front and they sat off ready to counter.

It's a real problem that we're reliant on Paterson to keep offering for the ball, trying to turn and get us moving forward, and for runs in behind when Piroe drops in as with our goal. Has shown so far he can only manage 45 minutes of it a game. Martin's system demands two players doing that work, and in the second half we had none.

Grimes always gets off Scot free with most on here. Leave Downes on , take off one footed one dimensional Grimes . If Smith was anonymous then Paterson was invisible second half. It seems to me Downes Nitcham and Walsh will be our best midfield this season.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:12 - Sep 29 with 1323 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:09 - Sep 29 by Dr_Winston

It does. Sad cases.

Amusing that he's finally worked out how to put me on ignore. It's only taken him about ten years. That's if he actually has ignored me. Wouldn't be the first time he'd have claimed to have done so and then replied to the same person.

Perch has unipolar depression. That much is obvious.

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:13 - Sep 29 with 1321 viewsFireboy2

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 21:01 - Sep 29 by Dr_Winston

I see Perchy is far more active tonight than he was on Saturday.

Disgusting.

Sums him up totally winny.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:15 - Sep 29 with 1301 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:11 - Sep 29 by jasper_T

I don't think Downes had a good game at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one to go off because of fitness/covid, same as last week.

Rubbish. He has been far more influential than Grimes in our last two games.

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:16 - Sep 29 with 1287 viewsWalterBoyd

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 21:50 - Sep 29 by Brynmill_Jack

Why so negative? We had a lot of the ball especially second half and possibly could have drawn it. We are too slow in mind going forward in and around the box but we certainly didn’t embarrass ourselves.

Your 2 post at 21:48 and then at 21: 50 are tbe most contradictory I have ever read on this forum.
Login to get fewer ads

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:19 - Sep 29 with 1256 viewsjackrabbit

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:09 - Sep 29 by Dr_Parnassus

I can’t agree, I expected to lose yes.

But didn’t expect that we would make it so easy for them. Lots of meaningless possession again when we could have been attacking them.

But yes. 0 points expected and 0 got, so not really a lot different at the end of the day. This result won’t define our season.

But we need to have some accountability now. “Forget this one” when we lose to good teams and “it’ll come” when we lose to bad teams is a recipe for disaster.

‘Forget it and move on’ was aimed at the fans not the management. I’m hardly in a position to affect the selection for the next game so I’m not sure how that is a ‘recipe for disaster’!
Swans are a work in progress. Quite a way to go before we are a formidable side.
That’s the reality i see and I’m quite able to accept it, and look forward to a time when we are as good as Fulham were tonight.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:20 - Sep 29 with 1252 viewsLittleEnglandJack

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:01 - Sep 29 by jasper_T

Smith usually "does alright" because he passes responsibility. Always pointing, always talking, rarely puts himself into any tough situations. See the dummy late on when a brave player would have taken on the shot. Only got regular touches when we went two up front and they sat off ready to counter.

It's a real problem that we're reliant on Paterson to keep offering for the ball, trying to turn and get us moving forward, and for runs in behind when Piroe drops in as with our goal. Has shown so far he can only manage 45 minutes of it a game. Martin's system demands two players doing that work, and in the second half we had none.

Can't agree with that at all. You admit that Smith isn't an attacking player, how can you be disappointed that he dummied it to a more technically gifted player in space when we both know that shooting isn't his forté?

And I say this as not a massive Smith fan. I'm on record on here being infuriated last season by the number of times the technically limited Smith was our most advanced midfield player or playing in wide areas.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:22 - Sep 29 with 1243 viewsel_pancho

"Swansea head coach Russell Martin told BBC Sport Wales: "I thought we were great. I am really proud of the players - we went toe to toe with the best side in the division."

Oh dear God

Poll: As things currently stand are Huw Jenkins et al more disliked than Tony Petty?

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:24 - Sep 29 with 1223 viewsicecoldjack

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:11 - Sep 29 by jasper_T

So subbed because he was ill or because he was playing defensive midfield ? I guess the point here is that i felt downes looked a more complete player who would be a better option than grimes if adding an attacking option.

He didnt look fooked but i dont know his fitness level.

It does look that its always other players that make way irrelevant of how the captain is performing.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:24 - Sep 29 with 1215 viewsBenJ94

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:22 - Sep 29 by el_pancho

"Swansea head coach Russell Martin told BBC Sport Wales: "I thought we were great. I am really proud of the players - we went toe to toe with the best side in the division."

Oh dear God

F***ing hell he’s more deluded than I thought.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:29 - Sep 29 with 1183 viewsLittleEnglandJack

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:22 - Sep 29 by el_pancho

Oh dear God

Yikes.

I'm all for positivity but that's just straight up deluded.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:29 - Sep 29 with 1179 viewsjasper_T

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:20 - Sep 29 by LittleEnglandJack

Can't agree with that at all. You admit that Smith isn't an attacking player, how can you be disappointed that he dummied it to a more technically gifted player in space when we both know that shooting isn't his forté?

And I say this as not a massive Smith fan. I'm on record on here being infuriated last season by the number of times the technically limited Smith was our most advanced midfield player or playing in wide areas.

We were 3-1 down late on. Shoot even if you're not the best possible candidate on the pitch (like Downes did) because we weren't getting many chances. He was central, the ball went wide and the attack came to nothing.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:31 - Sep 29 with 1175 viewsbuilthjack

As I said when Russ was appointed, it will take him 2 or 3 windows to get in the players that he needs. Rome wasnt built in a day.
Most with half a brain know that two thirds of our squad are not good enough.
Russ will have to go into the bargain bin to get these players mind.
Whereas Fulham shop in Harrods.
We have to be happy with mid table at best this season.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:36 - Sep 29 with 1128 viewsDr_Parnassus

Oh dear God

That’s the kind of nonsense that will get people turning.

As a fan base we can accept honesty and learning from errors. That’s fine, that’s football.

We aren’t idiots though, don’t appreciate being treated like one, and if he genuinely comes away from that thinking “we went toe to toe with them” and it was “great” then I am very concerned by those comments.

Can you imagine a past manager saying that after a comprehensive 3-1 defeat?

Take your medicine, admit the errors, state we weren’t good enough… correct it and move on. To say we were great shows a complete lack of accountability on his behalf, or realisation of what went wrong.

Naughton put up against Mitrovic? Who then lobbed in a hat trick as if he was playing in the park.

Come on mate.

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:37 - Sep 29 with 1133 viewsicecoldjack

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:19 - Sep 29 by jackrabbit

‘Forget it and move on’ was aimed at the fans not the management. I’m hardly in a position to affect the selection for the next game so I’m not sure how that is a ‘recipe for disaster’!
Swans are a work in progress. Quite a way to go before we are a formidable side.
That’s the reality i see and I’m quite able to accept it, and look forward to a time when we are as good as Fulham were tonight.

Quite a way to go before we Are a formidable side ?

How long you thinking ??

For sure there is Some kind of progression, we Are playing it a touch quicker at least.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:43 - Sep 29 with 1119 viewsLittleEnglandJack

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:29 - Sep 29 by jasper_T

We were 3-1 down late on. Shoot even if you're not the best possible candidate on the pitch (like Downes did) because we weren't getting many chances. He was central, the ball went wide and the attack came to nothing.

Oh do be fair, Downes was well inside the box and had virtually a clear shot on goal, Smith was outside and had a couple of defenders in front of him.

I was as frustrated as anyone the attack came to nothing but that was down to Laird, not Smith.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:47 - Sep 29 with 1104 viewsicecoldjack

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:31 - Sep 29 by builthjack

As I said when Russ was appointed, it will take him 2 or 3 windows to get in the players that he needs. Rome wasnt built in a day.
Most with half a brain know that two thirds of our squad are not good enough.
Russ will have to go into the bargain bin to get these players mind.
Whereas Fulham shop in Harrods.
We have to be happy with mid table at best this season.

All well and Good , 2/3 Windows etc. but in modern football do you realistally think any manager gets that amount of time ?

Squad may not be Good enough but Martin would have known the situation before taking the job, you’d have ti be a special kind of numpty to expect the Swans owners to buy you a new team and give you over a year to rebuild it .
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:50 - Sep 29 with 1086 viewsmahoss

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:47 - Sep 29 by icecoldjack

All well and Good , 2/3 Windows etc. but in modern football do you realistally think any manager gets that amount of time ?

Squad may not be Good enough but Martin would have known the situation before taking the job, you’d have ti be a special kind of numpty to expect the Swans owners to buy you a new team and give you over a year to rebuild it .

I agree.
There’s no way the Americans will be happy as things are.
I would think they will be having a little word shortly if things carry on like this.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:54 - Sep 29 with 1063 viewsDr_Parnassus

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:47 - Sep 29 by icecoldjack

3 windows is just fantasy land. I have seen 4 windows written elsewhere (?!)

In the last 25 years (didn’t bother looking past that) our average managerial life span is something like 20 months.

This whole “he needs a couple of years” is just trying to avoid accountability for what is likely to be his whole managerial stint, be that because he does well or does badly.

It’s rare we get a manager enter into his third season with us.

“He needs 10 games” was the mantra a a couple of months back…. Now it’s turned into 18 months.

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:57 - Sep 29 with 1064 viewsjackrabbit

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:37 - Sep 29 by icecoldjack

Quite a way to go before we Are a formidable side ?

How long you thinking ??

For sure there is Some kind of progression, we Are playing it a touch quicker at least.

I don’t know - you tell me. When we can get better players than some we have right now? All I can say is that even after a 3-1 defeat, I can see signs of improvement - we played a lot worse in the early games of the season. Example of improvement? Well in the first half I liked the way Paterson would switch play by spraying a long pass across the field to Laird or Bidwell. Normally it would take us a dozen passes to make that sort of ground. Reminiscent of Ashley Williams’ crossfield raking passes in the good ole days. Second half it all reverted to the usual more predictable slow buildup. Tonight laid bare where we need improvement - basic defence and creative midfield….oh and all done with a bit more pace. I felt sorry for Piroe. Poor sod was starved of passes.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 23:07 - Sep 29 with 1031 viewsBuckDancer

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 21:51 - Sep 29 by onehunglow

One footed
Cabango,Manning,Grimes.
And we have a "coach".

He is not the man IMO and I thought tonight would be a litmus test for us and so it proved to be.

Martin is a ---------.He is a poor judge of a player and no tactician.All he offers us is hot air. Friends,we have been kippered.

Utter Moron

You haven’t got a clue
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 23:23 - Sep 29 with 983 viewsBadlands

Martin needs to play players in their position
Cabango is a CB ?. Only played well when going forward in a more central area. Couldn't live with their pace but would have battled Mitrovicj.
Naughton is RB .. couldn't live with their physicality
Manning is a RB
Bidwell is not a winger
Laird is not a footballer … completely screwed Cabango in two games, calls for the pass then fails to respond or runs away letting players intercept, doesn’t support the defence (pointed out on Sky), with players screaming for the ball in the last few minutes under no pressure he passed the ball to the advertising hoarding behind the goal.
Bidwell and Laird's positioning dragged Downes out of position.
Grimes gone back to only going backwards.
I’m not too worried about the score but the way we conceded was shocking.
First goal was offside.
Other two down to leaving vast areas of space via poor poitioning.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024