Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? 13:08 - Oct 1 with 9120 viewsKeithHaynes

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 21:15 - Oct 4 with 1639 viewsonehunglow

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 20:40 - Oct 4 by vetchonian

Here we go the old 80k Ayew comments
Why is it he was paid that because that marvellous man HJ set that contract up to bring him back from West Ham. Funny no one else fancied paying that so let’s stop making out he was sone sort of Ronaldo yes he did great for us over the last 2 seasons but he was valued at 80k a week only because HJ set that up no other club was prepared to pay that which he a why he is in Qatar not plying his trade in the PL or a high spending Championship club

Ayew was very good for us and our talisman

He was overpaid grotesquely however

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 22:06 - Oct 4 with 1627 viewsDr_Parnassus

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 20:40 - Oct 4 by vetchonian

Here we go the old 80k Ayew comments
Why is it he was paid that because that marvellous man HJ set that contract up to bring him back from West Ham. Funny no one else fancied paying that so let’s stop making out he was sone sort of Ronaldo yes he did great for us over the last 2 seasons but he was valued at 80k a week only because HJ set that up no other club was prepared to pay that which he a why he is in Qatar not plying his trade in the PL or a high spending Championship club

Indeed, it’s like saying Borja was a £15.5m player playing in the Championship so we should have won the whole thing. While technically true regarding his price tag, he wasn’t worth anything more than Cullen in reality, maybe a fair bit less.

He has had 3 free transfer moves since then and plays in the Spanish second division in his prime years of late 20’s.

Ayew was very good, but 80k a week good? No.

Which is why he has had to go to the oil fields to continue getting that kind of money, nobody else would pay it. He signed that contract in the Premier League in his 20’s so to say the value he brought to the team in his 30’s in the Championship was at the same level as his peak in the Premier League isn't quite a depiction of reality.

It was a legacy contract not a new one. One we were forced to absorb as nobody would match it to take him off our hands, we tried to move him to Turkey permanently but they didn’t want him. Probably because of the associated costs.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 23:31 - Oct 4 with 1579 viewsReslovenSwan1

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 22:06 - Oct 4 by Dr_Parnassus

Indeed, it’s like saying Borja was a £15.5m player playing in the Championship so we should have won the whole thing. While technically true regarding his price tag, he wasn’t worth anything more than Cullen in reality, maybe a fair bit less.

He has had 3 free transfer moves since then and plays in the Spanish second division in his prime years of late 20’s.

Ayew was very good, but 80k a week good? No.

Which is why he has had to go to the oil fields to continue getting that kind of money, nobody else would pay it. He signed that contract in the Premier League in his 20’s so to say the value he brought to the team in his 30’s in the Championship was at the same level as his peak in the Premier League isn't quite a depiction of reality.

It was a legacy contract not a new one. One we were forced to absorb as nobody would match it to take him off our hands, we tried to move him to Turkey permanently but they didn’t want him. Probably because of the associated costs.

Ayew for some reason did not play well enough in Turkiye. Fenerbahce are a difficult team to impress in and were in a bad patch. They would have met a big proportion of his salary had he impressed.

Borja got his big contract and took his foot of the gas in a foreign land by the looks of it. It happens to some players.

HJ had some mistakes for sure late in his term but be also brought in some super players via the superb managers he appointed. He recruitment team found Dan James Ollie McBurnie and the likes of Fernandez, Sigurdson, Lorente, Fabianski etc

Wise sage since Toshack era

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 10:05 - Oct 5 with 1489 viewsCatullus

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 23:31 - Oct 4 by ReslovenSwan1

Ayew for some reason did not play well enough in Turkiye. Fenerbahce are a difficult team to impress in and were in a bad patch. They would have met a big proportion of his salary had he impressed.

Borja got his big contract and took his foot of the gas in a foreign land by the looks of it. It happens to some players.

HJ had some mistakes for sure late in his term but be also brought in some super players via the superb managers he appointed. He recruitment team found Dan James Ollie McBurnie and the likes of Fernandez, Sigurdson, Lorente, Fabianski etc

HJ should have listened more to the recruitment team then and taken less of a hand in things because that ended up with us not signing Allen and buying Clucas, half the player at twice the cost, then Bony who turned out to be a money pit and Ayew who, whilst he did well for us the last 2 seasons was a very expensive drain on our finances. Without that drain we may have been able to sign 2 or 3 other decent players.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 13:52 - Oct 5 with 1435 viewsnantywatcher

So 77% are happy with the slow tedious dirge we are churning out the moment. If we get relegated that could well jump up to over 90% satisfaction. Mind blowing!
How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 14:07 - Oct 5 with 1432 viewsKeithHaynes

If you haven’t voted yet, please do 👍

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 14:58 - Oct 5 with 1413 viewsReslovenSwan1

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 10:05 - Oct 5 by Catullus

HJ should have listened more to the recruitment team then and taken less of a hand in things because that ended up with us not signing Allen and buying Clucas, half the player at twice the cost, then Bony who turned out to be a money pit and Ayew who, whilst he did well for us the last 2 seasons was a very expensive drain on our finances. Without that drain we may have been able to sign 2 or 3 other decent players.

Ledbetter was his recruitment man who has kept a very low profile over the years. A mix of excellent and terrible signings.

Monk gets abuse but in his time people were say the same thing they are saying now. "Swansea are passing too much and not getting the ball forward quickly enough". In those days 2014-2015 it was to Bony.

Monk went more direct to Bony who was a monster at the time and he was the PL top scorer for one calendar year. Monk then lost Bony and got Eder and Fat Franck. He kept his council but both were useless. His job was hard enough as it was. Gomis was a different type of player. Monk might be a little unimpressed by claim he destroyed the Swansea way of playing.

The second batch of duffers did for Swansea. The duffer signing eras (more or less).

2015. Tabanou, Eder. Borja.

2017 Clucas, Mesa, Bony #2 Ayew #2 Carroll

2019. McKay, Celina, John and Asoro

Clearly Swansea should have gone safety first and brought in experience. Ayew in that respect was not a terrible signing. Alway fit always committed. When Llorente went they should have gone like for like and brought in Negredo who was available perhaps.

If we went back to Potters arrival. The club could have kept Ayew A. Had they spent the £7m more wisely promotion beckoned. McCauley had a stinker. He had enough money for Ivan Toney, Rob Dickie Mowatt etc

Wise sage since Toshack era

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 22:17 - Oct 5 with 1296 viewsDr_Parnassus

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 10:05 - Oct 5 by Catullus

Clucas gets a bad rep on here.

1) because he loves to rub it in when he scores against us
2) because of the utterly ridiculous transfer fee we paid

In terms of a player though, I’d prefer him to Allen, and I’m a big Allen fan.

I don’t think Clucas was bad at all for us, he just wasn’t £16.5m good. If he was signed for £6m, the fee Stoke paid us, people would be perfectly happy with Clucas.

Scored against Arsenal in two separate games, one being a brace. Only played 20 something games for us.

He chipped in 11 goals in 2020, 1 in 4. That’s excellent for a midfielder.

If someone was offering Clucas or Allen now, tough call - but I’d go with Clucas.

Login to get fewer ads

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 22:27 - Oct 5 with 1299 viewsjasper_T

Clucas was poor. Two consecutive matches his first involvement was to miscontrol the ball out for a corner. He wasn't just "bad for his fee", genuinely wondered how this lad was in the PL.
How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 22:37 - Oct 5 with 1285 viewsDr_Parnassus

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 22:27 - Oct 5 by jasper_T

Clucas was poor. Two consecutive matches his first involvement was to miscontrol the ball out for a corner. He wasn't just "bad for his fee", genuinely wondered how this lad was in the PL.

Can’t agree. We were a bad team back then, the pressure was on and everyone was making mistakes. He had a tough start here but he was one of our better players towards the end in my opinion, he was just the scapegoat because we paid so much. It was always likely to be the case.

This game was his crowning glory, he was fantastic aside from the goals. They couldn’t handle him:-

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 23:18 - Oct 5 with 1266 viewsjasper_T

Think it was both games against Arsenal where he was impressive (all three of his Swansea goals came against them says wikipedia), the rest of the time very poor indeed.
How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 23:35 - Oct 5 with 1253 viewsDr_Parnassus

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 23:18 - Oct 5 by jasper_T

Think it was both games against Arsenal where he was impressive (all three of his Swansea goals came against them says wikipedia), the rest of the time very poor indeed.

The whole team was poor, it’s why we got relegated.

Although towards the end of the season it was Clucas and Jordan Ayew that were probably among our better players.

There is no way he would have had the focus he did if he didn’t cost 16.5m.

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 08:20 - Oct 6 with 1198 viewsnantywatcher

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 22:17 - Oct 5 by Dr_Parnassus

Clucas gets a bad rep on here.

1) because he loves to rub it in when he scores against us
2) because of the utterly ridiculous transfer fee we paid

In terms of a player though, I’d prefer him to Allen, and I’m a big Allen fan.

I don’t think Clucas was bad at all for us, he just wasn’t £16.5m good. If he was signed for £6m, the fee Stoke paid us, people would be perfectly happy with Clucas.

Scored against Arsenal in two separate games, one being a brace. Only played 20 something games for us.

He chipped in 11 goals in 2020, 1 in 4. That’s excellent for a midfielder.

If someone was offering Clucas or Allen now, tough call - but I’d go with Clucas.

100% right.
How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 09:36 - Oct 6 with 1175 viewsThornburyswan

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 23:35 - Oct 5 by Dr_Parnassus

The whole team was poor, it’s why we got relegated.

Although towards the end of the season it was Clucas and Jordan Ayew that were probably among our better players.

There is no way he would have had the focus he did if he didn’t cost 16.5m.

Agree on the fee & focus point but in reality he isn’t now & wasn’t then a Premier league level player - at his very best maybe squad fringe player at that level - not his fault just the reality of his ability & skill set.

That said good Championship level midfielder albeit clearly mental age of around 13 going by his antics in front of our fans noting he only spent one season with us & left over 3 years ago! Needs to grow up a tad.
How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 09:43 - Oct 6 with 1167 viewsDr_Winston

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 09:36 - Oct 6 by Thornburyswan

Agree on the fee & focus point but in reality he isn’t now & wasn’t then a Premier league level player - at his very best maybe squad fringe player at that level - not his fault just the reality of his ability & skill set.

That said good Championship level midfielder albeit clearly mental age of around 13 going by his antics in front of our fans noting he only spent one season with us & left over 3 years ago! Needs to grow up a tad.

Given the amount of stick he got from our supporters he's more than entitled to give a bit back.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 10:47 - Oct 6 with 1143 viewsjasper_T

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 09:43 - Oct 6 by Dr_Winston

Given the amount of stick he got from our supporters he's more than entitled to give a bit back.

It's not just our supporters. He seems to get riled up by everyone he plays for, even when he's still with them. Plays one good game in ten and runs up to the Stoke fans cupping his ear.
How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 11:29 - Oct 6 with 1118 viewsThornburyswan

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 09:43 - Oct 6 by Dr_Winston

Agree to a point but he’s supposed to be a professional & it’s 3 years plus now - holding a grudge that long is definitely not a good thing to do.
How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 13:37 - Oct 6 with 1061 viewsChief

I don't disagree but this started by him searching his own name on twitter. Fans who didn't @ him in and weren't that personally offensive got him annoyed and it went downhill from there. There was certainly no abuse directed at him in the stadium when he was playing for us. Moans and groans maybe but that's far from personal to him.

He had a bit of a public twitter meltdown after seeing the (justified) criticism that added fuel to the fire and he did have 'what a waste of money' chants when he played against us. He then did the celebrations. Unfortunately we seem incapable of stopping the cvnt scoring against us or us beating them. We're both fair game now and that's the way it should be.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 19:05 - Oct 6 with 997 viewsdantheswansman

Anyone and i mean anyone is better than that clown Cooper, i am just happy the football keeps me awake for the whole game, under Cooper i could have used it as a sleep aid, it might be a cliché but it really is a work in progress under Martin, it's good to see 77% of people on this forum are not completely blind and or stupid
How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 21:11 - Oct 6 with 942 viewsvetchonian

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 19:05 - Oct 6 by dantheswansman

Anyone and i mean anyone is better than that clown Cooper, i am just happy the football keeps me awake for the whole game, under Cooper i could have used it as a sleep aid, it might be a cliché but it really is a work in progress under Martin, it's good to see 77% of people on this forum are not completely blind and or stupid

you didnt see the Millwall and Hull games then?

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 21:25 - Oct 6 with 936 viewsFireboy2

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 21:11 - Oct 6 by vetchonian

you didnt see the Millwall and Hull games then?

I saw the derby game live and I was happy with the performance, yes we didn't get the win but the difference from the last time I saw us live at pne (5 weeks before) was dramatically different, the difference between those two performances shows that we are going in the right direction.

There is a famous saying that rome wasn't built in a day.
How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 12:34 - Oct 7 with 775 viewsDr_Parnassus

How happy are you with Russell Martin and his coaching team ? on 21:25 - Oct 6 by Fireboy2

I saw the derby game live and I was happy with the performance, yes we didn't get the win but the difference from the last time I saw us live at pne (5 weeks before) was dramatically different, the difference between those two performances shows that we are going in the right direction.

There is a famous saying that rome wasn't built in a day.

“Rome wasn’t built in a day… but they were laying bricks every hour” - is the famous retort.

Rome was the end goal, consistent excellent performance, continuous appraisal and the meeting of short term goals was the system that got to that end goal.

Without it, Rome would not have existed.

We also need consistency now, we need to be putting in performances that are capable of getting results. So far it’s flattering to deceive, sacrificing attacking intent in favour of possession in non dangerous areas.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024