Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ilias Chair till 2025! 14:01 - Jan 29 with 11207 viewskarl

Bloody hell, that's a 4yr contract and a half!
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 16:39 - Jan 29 with 2114 viewsjohncharles

Great ! He’s got a way to go before he’s the finished article and staying here is a wise move. Good thing is he’s progressing all the time.
The opposite to BOS. I know this is a bitchy comment that’s how I feel and I’m entitled to my opinion

Strong and stable my arse.

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 16:43 - Jan 29 with 2103 views18StoneOfHoop

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 15:22 - Jan 29 by Northernr

Yeh, I hope he does get a big move one day, and goes like Eze with everybody's blessing and us wanting him to do well. Top lad.

Want this club's ambitions to be something more than fattening
promising kids for Premiership market.

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 16:48 - Jan 29 with 2082 viewsNorthernr

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 16:43 - Jan 29 by 18StoneOfHoop

Want this club's ambitions to be something more than fattening
promising kids for Premiership market.

Well then you also want football to be something different from what it currently is.
Nothing wrong with that, I hate it too, but there aren't many other ways out of the situation we're currently in than repeatedly getting big money for players and then investing that well.
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 16:48 - Jan 29 with 2082 viewsWestbourneR

Very good news.

Try him in attacking centre mid to cover for LTC? I would.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 16:58 - Jan 29 with 2041 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 15:58 - Jan 29 by soops

Let me start with a disclaimer - I've been watching football for almost half a century, but I find my 'knowledge' embarrassing when people start talking about formations and squeezing lines and inverting channels etc. How most of you can tell the formation within seconds of kick-off remains a mystery to me.
However... I do wonder if Ilias might end up being a better '8' than '10'? He's got a great engine / work ethic, doesn't mind putting a tackle in, can pick a pass and could maybe be even more prolific arriving slightly later?

Ya, I think it's something we all ponder on. I certainly do.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 17:06 - Jan 29 with 2019 viewsWestbourneR

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 16:58 - Jan 29 by BrianMcCarthy

Ya, I think it's something we all ponder on. I certainly do.

Yeah! This is exactly the idea I was suggesting above. I think he'd be good there, particularly while we're light in centre mid

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 17:14 - Jan 29 with 1987 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 17:06 - Jan 29 by WestbourneR

Yeah! This is exactly the idea I was suggesting above. I think he'd be good there, particularly while we're light in centre mid

Concerns I have, Westy:

1) He is also "light in midfield". Does he have the physique for it, and would he be targeted with runners at him
2) How would he be positionally? It's a new role for him to be the left defensive centre mid. LTC really blocked up the left side of our midfield well, I felt. Most teams attacked us down the right prior to LTC's injury as they (presumably) calculated that they fancied their chances with Ball/Kane rather than LTC/Niko. As soon as LTC got injured Niko got targeted. Would a combo of Chair/Niko really do? I would worry.

Edit - in retrospect, this sounds like an overly harsh critique of Chair. Apologies, it was just thoughts on Westy's (and others including mine) pondering on moving him from 10 to 8.

[Post edited 29 Jan 2021 19:13]

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 17:40 - Jan 29 with 1912 viewspaulparker

Good news let’s hope when we do go to sell we get decent money

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 17:56 - Jan 29 with 1885 viewsbosh67

Definitely a good move because he's young and he will get better and better as the team and club settles. Plus if we sell him we get decent money for once. Well done the club and well done Ilias.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 18:37 - Jan 29 with 1828 viewsThe_Beast1976

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 16:48 - Jan 29 by Northernr

Well then you also want football to be something different from what it currently is.
Nothing wrong with that, I hate it too, but there aren't many other ways out of the situation we're currently in than repeatedly getting big money for players and then investing that well.

This is true. Sad, but true.
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 19:21 - Jan 29 with 1749 viewsDejR_vu

Best news in a long, long time.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 19:25 - Jan 29 with 1741 viewsdm97

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 14:25 - Jan 29 by DieByYourSide

"I think it's what the fans deserve and what the club deserves from my part"

Can't help but think that line is a signal to some colleagues...Sniping aside, how can you not love him - he is everything modern football players usually aren't, just like Ebs before him. Deserves all the success that (fingers crossed) comes his way, here or higher in the pyramid
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 19:44 - Jan 29 with 1697 viewsstevec

That’s a 4 year contract I can live with

The Championship owners have voted to reject the wage cap and financial prudence, no good us hiding behind hardship any more.
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 19:48 - Jan 29 with 1689 viewsSuperhoops2808

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 16:28 - Jan 29 by Rangersw12

I wonder if that's a dig at BOS

I agree... I think that's EXACTLY what it is
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 20:01 - Jan 29 with 1662 viewsBlue_Castello

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 14:25 - Jan 29 by DieByYourSide

"I think it's what the fans deserve and what the club deserves from my part"

That line more than anything gives you back the belief that not all players are out to just take from the game. The fact he's prepared to show some loyalty to the club who gave him the opportunity is really heartening.
I was genuinely worried he may have been influenced by BOS and would want to run his contract down so a MASSIVE thank you to Ilias for showing the commitment, signings like this will help us attract other players to the club.
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 20:03 - Jan 29 with 1657 viewsMyke

Very good news and exactly what we should be doing at exactly the time we should be doing it. I hope it gives the lad a boost to kick on now, because he has been playing well within himself since Charlie came back, and we need him back in top form
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 20:07 - Jan 29 with 1653 viewsdavman

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 20:03 - Jan 29 by Myke

Very good news and exactly what we should be doing at exactly the time we should be doing it. I hope it gives the lad a boost to kick on now, because he has been playing well within himself since Charlie came back, and we need him back in top form

It is great news. How long was his last contract; I thought we had him tied down for at least 2 1/2 more years???

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 20:11 - Jan 29 with 1639 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 20:07 - Jan 29 by davman

It is great news. How long was his last contract; I thought we had him tied down for at least 2 1/2 more years???

Tied to a Chair?

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 20:26 - Jan 29 with 1598 viewsstainrods_elbow

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 19:48 - Jan 29 by Superhoops2808

I agree... I think that's EXACTLY what it is

Regular readers won't be too shocked, I trust, if I sound a countervailingly funereral tone. Leaving aside his crap corners and free kicks, Ilias is a gifted prospect, an emerging talent, and exactly the kind of young player I would dearly love to stay as long as possible at our football club. But why people think his new contract signals some kind of heartfelt mutual commitment of player and club is truly mystifying. 'Naive' and 'romantic' doesn't begin to cover it - so much so that I wonder if it's more a case of wilful delusion on the part of those who are stringing up the blue and white bunting.

May I ask our hooped church to cast their minds back not very far to the situation of Luke Freeman (see link below for those whose memory fails like mine). Lukey signed up for another three years with smiles on his and Evil Les's faces so broad they could break a widescreen. As it turned out, however, a mere seven months later, who'd have thunk it but he was offski to Northern megastylists Sheffield United - by my maths, two years ahead of schedule - to make a distressing total of 11 appearances for them in the thick end of a year. If the contract meant anything more than jackshit, he'd actually still be with us now.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/luke-freeman-signs-new-qpr-contract/

All of which means, to repeat, I like Ilias a lot, would love him to be part of QPR's upward mobility and burgeoning reputation for footballing style, but if he's still at QPR in 2025, I'll eat my house. It doesn't really matter what Warburton wants, or even the player - in the end, our CEO, board and people who mistreat football purely as a business will carry the day. Whether we're promoted or not, if he continues to improve, I'd put money on him quite likely following Eze out the door a year or so, not impossibly to Palace. (It may well, as I suspect it probably was with Freeman, already have been arranged.) The thing is, speaking as a fan, I for one don't like to be taken for a mug.

For those who may kindly not yet have blocked me, I leave you to chew on some salutary words from Mr Jim Gregory RIP, speaking to us from another age in a reposted article on Independent Rs from 1968:

http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2016/02/portrait-of-a-chairman-jim-gregory-the-millionai

"I hear people say that football is a business”, he says. “It’s not. A business is something in which a man makes an investment and does his best to ensure that the company is well run in order to collect a profit on their investment.

“There’s no profit in football. People like me who put money into a club are pleased and surprised if they get their money back. Imagine a businessman spending £100,000 on a centre-forward, knowing he could break his leg and finish his career inside two minutes. He’d be mad!

“Yet football clubs must be run on business lines, and that means they must be run by businessmen. They’re the people able to finance vital investments; they’re the ones who know who to contact when money is needed for ground improvements or new players; they’re the ones who bear the loss when things don’t work out.

“So they have to walk this unenviable tightrope whereby they use their business training for the good of the club but suppress their natural business instincts when it comes to making a profit.”

Like any successful businessman, FFP or no FFP, JG understood one had to speculate to accumulate, hold onto talent, and that football can't just be a business, as it's about building spirit, togetherness, footballing aesthetics and a unity of style.

How I wish the dead could return!
[Post edited 29 Jan 2021 20:31]

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 20:26 - Jan 29 with 1603 viewsdachiltern

Apologies but is this something us old gits were used to, a certain thing called loyalty?

Old argument but players have far to many rights and seem to believe football owes them a debt. Stupid money in football but this lad has a feel for being part of a club not just a player.
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 20:44 - Jan 29 with 1578 viewskarl

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 20:26 - Jan 29 by stainrods_elbow

Regular readers won't be too shocked, I trust, if I sound a countervailingly funereral tone. Leaving aside his crap corners and free kicks, Ilias is a gifted prospect, an emerging talent, and exactly the kind of young player I would dearly love to stay as long as possible at our football club. But why people think his new contract signals some kind of heartfelt mutual commitment of player and club is truly mystifying. 'Naive' and 'romantic' doesn't begin to cover it - so much so that I wonder if it's more a case of wilful delusion on the part of those who are stringing up the blue and white bunting.

May I ask our hooped church to cast their minds back not very far to the situation of Luke Freeman (see link below for those whose memory fails like mine). Lukey signed up for another three years with smiles on his and Evil Les's faces so broad they could break a widescreen. As it turned out, however, a mere seven months later, who'd have thunk it but he was offski to Northern megastylists Sheffield United - by my maths, two years ahead of schedule - to make a distressing total of 11 appearances for them in the thick end of a year. If the contract meant anything more than jackshit, he'd actually still be with us now.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/luke-freeman-signs-new-qpr-contract/

All of which means, to repeat, I like Ilias a lot, would love him to be part of QPR's upward mobility and burgeoning reputation for footballing style, but if he's still at QPR in 2025, I'll eat my house. It doesn't really matter what Warburton wants, or even the player - in the end, our CEO, board and people who mistreat football purely as a business will carry the day. Whether we're promoted or not, if he continues to improve, I'd put money on him quite likely following Eze out the door a year or so, not impossibly to Palace. (It may well, as I suspect it probably was with Freeman, already have been arranged.) The thing is, speaking as a fan, I for one don't like to be taken for a mug.

For those who may kindly not yet have blocked me, I leave you to chew on some salutary words from Mr Jim Gregory RIP, speaking to us from another age in a reposted article on Independent Rs from 1968:

http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2016/02/portrait-of-a-chairman-jim-gregory-the-millionai

"I hear people say that football is a business”, he says. “It’s not. A business is something in which a man makes an investment and does his best to ensure that the company is well run in order to collect a profit on their investment.

“There’s no profit in football. People like me who put money into a club are pleased and surprised if they get their money back. Imagine a businessman spending £100,000 on a centre-forward, knowing he could break his leg and finish his career inside two minutes. He’d be mad!

“Yet football clubs must be run on business lines, and that means they must be run by businessmen. They’re the people able to finance vital investments; they’re the ones who know who to contact when money is needed for ground improvements or new players; they’re the ones who bear the loss when things don’t work out.

“So they have to walk this unenviable tightrope whereby they use their business training for the good of the club but suppress their natural business instincts when it comes to making a profit.”

Like any successful businessman, FFP or no FFP, JG understood one had to speculate to accumulate, hold onto talent, and that football can't just be a business, as it's about building spirit, togetherness, footballing aesthetics and a unity of style.

How I wish the dead could return!
[Post edited 29 Jan 2021 20:31]

All said while ignoring the fact we got a transfer fee for Freeman that would never have been possible without the 3yr contract. Some may say the club speculated to accumulate?
The same will be true of Ilias, it's now a case of hopefully the club progress and his development coinciding and we don't need to lose him immediately but I'd say 99%dont envisage him being at the club in season 2023/24 (?) but we'll still get a good fee if that's the case. All very business savvy, if you like
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 21:14 - Jan 29 with 1517 viewsstainrods_elbow

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 20:44 - Jan 29 by karl

All said while ignoring the fact we got a transfer fee for Freeman that would never have been possible without the 3yr contract. Some may say the club speculated to accumulate?
The same will be true of Ilias, it's now a case of hopefully the club progress and his development coinciding and we don't need to lose him immediately but I'd say 99%dont envisage him being at the club in season 2023/24 (?) but we'll still get a good fee if that's the case. All very business savvy, if you like

You're spectacularly missing the very point I'm making (that you're claiming I'm missing)!

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 21:36 - Jan 29 with 1481 viewskarl

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 21:14 - Jan 29 by stainrods_elbow

You're spectacularly missing the very point I'm making (that you're claiming I'm missing)!

Not really, holding onto talent these days is a two way street, hold a player like Freeman to the length of his contract while ignoring his chances of millionaire wages and step up to potentially top area of the football ladder then no one else with potential will sign a similar contract.
If you think any player with potential will sign a 4.5 Yr contract and expect to play every year of it you're sadly mistaken and are more likely deliberately trying to twist this against Lee Hoos and Les
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 21:38 - Jan 29 with 1477 viewsdm97

He could have easily rejected a contract, kicked up a fuss in the summer about career progression and got a cheap move to another championship club, as our position de-escalated ala Manning & Bright (with our desperation to sell being palpable). Loyalty in football doesn't mean a Giggs-esque career at one club, but appreciating the financial benefits that signing a deal could have for your employers. That deserves our appreciation!
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 21:57 - Jan 29 with 1437 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Do you not get tired?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024