Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Women's Euros 20:59 - Jul 6 with 38173 viewsQPRSteve

Anyone watching?

England 1-0 up against Austria at HT. Should be more, but I expect England to put Austria to the sword in the second half. Good standard of football being played.
Women's Euros on 08:05 - Jul 27 with 2449 viewsJuzzie

Ian Wright also said Russo deserves to start the Final.
Maybe she ‘deserves’ it but stop putting pressure on Manager’s to change things and potentially fk things up.
There’s clearly a reason Russo is a sub and it’s working, don’t mess with it and jeopardise our chances of actually winning the competition.
Women's Euros on 08:28 - Jul 27 with 2356 viewsSydneyRs

Women's Euros on 06:42 - Jul 27 by joe90

As much as I want to get behind England I find the BBC coverage so awful and off putting. They cut to the Croydon box park to some very underwhelming celebrations. Why do it? Why try and replicate the hype that surrounds the mens game? Why not do something different, instead of this patronising coverage?

To be honest, I’ve enjoyed watching the other nations play more than England.We’ve been handed this tournament on a plate. England have been miles better than the teams they’ve played, last night was no exception. The first goal was quality and Sweden basically collapsed after that. Nothing in the final third and subs too late on to change the game. The game was actually very sloppy second half and England just needed to do what England does best which is keep running and be physical. A typically dour and joyless approach to the game.

I’ll be watching the Germany/France game with interest. Germany surely the favourites to go through?

Jeez, you must be fun at parties. Or are you Scottish?

Handed the tournament on a plate? Stuck 8 past Norway who are a decent side. Had to get past a very good Spain team and Sweden in the knockouts, both of whom are ranked higher than England (who are 8th) in the FIFA rankings. Sweden are number two in the world behind the US.

Both the other semi finalists are also ranked above England so, if England do win it, any claim they were "handed" the tournament is absolutely laughable. They will have done brilliantly and throughly deserved it.

"dour and joyless". Only for you it seems. I've seen a team and fans having a great time enjoying the progress through this tournament. Fans turning out in great numbers too.

Whoever wins the other semi will be tough to beat but this England team seems to be on a roll.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 8:30]
Women's Euros on 08:28 - Jul 27 with 2355 viewslightwaterhoop

Women's Euros on 07:37 - Jul 27 by dmm

Ian Wright's post match comments last night were interesting. He said this competition will have no legacy unless girls are allowed to play football in PE. I'm actually quite shocked as I assumed these days girls played any and all sports at school that boys play.

The reality is very few girls want to play football and just think of the expense for the parents.
Women's Euros on 08:29 - Jul 27 with 2352 viewsSydneyRs

Women's Euros on 08:05 - Jul 27 by Juzzie

Ian Wright also said Russo deserves to start the Final.
Maybe she ‘deserves’ it but stop putting pressure on Manager’s to change things and potentially fk things up.
There’s clearly a reason Russo is a sub and it’s working, don’t mess with it and jeopardise our chances of actually winning the competition.

This. She's a nightmare for tiring defences.
Women's Euros on 08:34 - Jul 27 with 2339 viewsSydneyRs

Women's Euros on 08:28 - Jul 27 by lightwaterhoop

The reality is very few girls want to play football and just think of the expense for the parents.

The number is definitely growing though and this type of exposure will only increase that. Here in Sydney its really noticeable how many more women's games are on every weekend at our local football clubs than there used to be.

The standard of play is also light years ahead of where it was 10 or 15 years ago. Some superb play and goals in this tournament.
Women's Euros on 08:48 - Jul 27 with 2292 viewsMaggsinho

Sorry but this is nonsense. My son’s football club is probably 50-50 boys to girls and both love playing it.
Women's Euros on 08:54 - Jul 27 with 2273 viewslightwaterhoop

Women's Euros on 08:48 - Jul 27 by Maggsinho

Sorry but this is nonsense. My son’s football club is probably 50-50 boys to girls and both love playing it.

Maybe so,but i was replying to a post about girls playing football in schools which is a completely different matter.
Women's Euros on 09:40 - Jul 27 with 2198 viewswood_hoop

Women's Euros on 08:34 - Jul 27 by SydneyRs

The number is definitely growing though and this type of exposure will only increase that. Here in Sydney its really noticeable how many more women's games are on every weekend at our local football clubs than there used to be.

The standard of play is also light years ahead of where it was 10 or 15 years ago. Some superb play and goals in this tournament.

I coached both boys and girls school teams twenty years ago, at that time not even the teachers male'/female wanted to take the kids on at my children's schools, the Parents Association roped me in as a coach and I went through the appropriate checks.

Primary school I was allowed at the time to mix both sexes in under 11's and usually got just a few girls come along, did win a few 5/6 a side tournaments playing both boys and girls together and it did help encourage a few more girls to come along.

My daughter's mixed seniors school heard about me coaching and asked for me to do the same for a girls only team U14's as again no teacher wanted/could fill the role.

Always had a female teacher as an 'assistant' present when coaching, she spent the time marking homework I think during the sessions.

The girls were great, took coaching sessions really seriously and loved playing in the few matches I managed to arrange against other girls school teams, its so good to see how the game has progressed so much, the young ladies I coached were never going to be 'World Beaters' but had a love for the game that hopefully has been passed onto their kids.

Getting into the final is a culmination of something I feel has been bubbling away under the surface for a good few years and Sunday's final may well be the catalyst for the women's game in this country especially if they win.
Login to get fewer ads

Women's Euros on 09:53 - Jul 27 with 2159 viewsbosh67

Bloody brilliant skill this by Russo. Bad miss made up for with a stunning Adel/Zidane style back heel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/62314030

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Women's Euros on 15:40 - Jul 27 with 1983 viewsPinnerPaul

Women's Euros on 06:42 - Jul 27 by joe90

As much as I want to get behind England I find the BBC coverage so awful and off putting. They cut to the Croydon box park to some very underwhelming celebrations. Why do it? Why try and replicate the hype that surrounds the mens game? Why not do something different, instead of this patronising coverage?

To be honest, I’ve enjoyed watching the other nations play more than England.We’ve been handed this tournament on a plate. England have been miles better than the teams they’ve played, last night was no exception. The first goal was quality and Sweden basically collapsed after that. Nothing in the final third and subs too late on to change the game. The game was actually very sloppy second half and England just needed to do what England does best which is keep running and be physical. A typically dour and joyless approach to the game.

I’ll be watching the Germany/France game with interest. Germany surely the favourites to go through?

Germany are indeed the favourites.
Women's Euros on 15:41 - Jul 27 with 1974 viewsPinnerPaul

Women's Euros on 07:39 - Jul 27 by distortR

Just because men compete in women's sports, it doesn't mean that girls can play in boys sports....................

tin hat

Rachel Blackmore?
Women's Euros on 15:44 - Jul 27 with 1963 viewsPinnerPaul

Absolute nonsense.

Women's and girls teams all over the place.

How is it more expensive for girls than boys?

I may have missed your 'irony' of course, if so, sorry!
Women's Euros on 15:47 - Jul 27 with 1943 viewsstowmarketrange

Women's Euros on 15:40 - Jul 27 by PinnerPaul

Germany are indeed the favourites.

Sweden were also favourites last night too,and the 2nd best team in the world according to fifa.We rode our luck a bit in the early stages,but came through comfortably in the end.
If Germany get past France tonight,it will be another tough match on Sunday.Maybe their toughest yet,but with a full house at Wembley who knows.
Women's Euros on 16:55 - Jul 27 with 1899 viewsPinnerPaul

Women's Euros on 15:47 - Jul 27 by stowmarketrange

Sweden were also favourites last night too,and the 2nd best team in the world according to fifa.We rode our luck a bit in the early stages,but came through comfortably in the end.
If Germany get past France tonight,it will be another tough match on Sunday.Maybe their toughest yet,but with a full house at Wembley who knows.

Sweden were certainly NOT favourites last night and indeed England have been favourites to win the tournament after their 1st match.

As we've discussed previously, bookie prices based as much as weight of money placed as actual chance of an event happening and England (all sports, men and women) are always shorter than they should be purely due to weight of money wagered.
Women's Euros on 21:49 - Jul 27 with 1782 viewsPlanetHonneywood

The German fraulines aren’t above a bit of schitenhousen!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Women's Euros on 22:00 - Jul 27 with 1760 viewsstowmarketrange

Women's Euros on 16:55 - Jul 27 by PinnerPaul

Sweden were certainly NOT favourites last night and indeed England have been favourites to win the tournament after their 1st match.

As we've discussed previously, bookie prices based as much as weight of money placed as actual chance of an event happening and England (all sports, men and women) are always shorter than they should be purely due to weight of money wagered.

Sorry mate but I wrongly assumed that being the 2nd best team in the world would’ve made them favourites.
Women's Euros on 22:39 - Jul 27 with 1671 viewsQPsyR

Expense for the parents?? what do you mean ??
[Post edited 28 Jul 2022 1:06]

FKA AcidPixie

Women's Euros on 22:58 - Jul 27 with 1624 viewsjoe90

Good game tonight. Much more competitive than last night and both teams looked good.

It’ll be a tough final for England who faced easy opposition so far as evidenced by the performances.
Women's Euros on 23:10 - Jul 27 with 1593 viewsdanehoop

Women's Euros on 22:58 - Jul 27 by joe90

Good game tonight. Much more competitive than last night and both teams looked good.

It’ll be a tough final for England who faced easy opposition so far as evidenced by the performances.

Undoubtedly will be tougher opposition, but that has been true through each round that England have progressed through and each time they have raised their game to overcome the opposition. The achievement of beating of Sweden I think probably hasn't yet been understood. Think that with this manager they will have the Germans worried. I expect to see a lot of cynical moves being made by German to break up play disrupt England as if they allow England to play and gain momentum they are likely to be overwhelmed by the second half.

Never knowingly understood

Women's Euros on 23:15 - Jul 27 with 1589 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Did one of them blow you out 😂
Women's Euros on 23:18 - Jul 27 with 1588 viewsjoe90

Women's Euros on 23:15 - Jul 27 by BazzaInTheLoft

Did one of them blow you out 😂

You got me there.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 23:22]
Women's Euros on 23:25 - Jul 27 with 1573 viewsSydneyRs

Easy opposition? Have beaten two teams ranked above them in the knockouts and stuck 8 past the team ranked 11th when England themselves are ranked 8th. Sweden were the highest ranked team in the tournament.

The final won't be easy but is utterly winnable.
Women's Euros on 11:25 - Jul 28 with 1390 viewsquickpassrotter

Women's Euros on 07:11 - Jul 27 by Malintabuk

What I find so good is that u like Southgate's England,
Wiegman's England is full pace tempo
There is none of this 24 passes before we cross the half way line.
They play it quickly get it out wide and then get it in the box... simple
Last night's destruction of Sweden was a simple case of in the end the Swedes were blowing out of their behinds due to England's tempo
Might be a little simplistic to compare this with the mens game.... but love to see our lads play a similar type of game.
Too late to get Wiegman in for Qatar?

Quite a few comments on social media about the approach that Sarina Wiegman has taken - certainly to her overall strategy of play and critically her tactical use and timing of her substitutes. All positive and all of which I agree with. Still there are people, supposedly England supporters, being critical of the standard of football in the competition, and England's approach. I find this mind boggling. Dear old Gareth Southgate, whom I like and respect, could take a leaf out of Wiegman's book in terms of the way she sets it all up and plays (yes, I know they are different players), and importantly how she uses her substitutes and the timing of the substitutions to make such an impact. Gareth has simply not discovered that yet, and I don't think that he will.
Women's Euros on 13:19 - Jul 28 with 1292 viewsLogman

Wiegman has got us playing to our strengths well and knows what works for us best. The problem with Gareth is that he appears to think that we need to go safety first, which I am afraid is never going to work if you want to win games.
Women's Euros on 13:26 - Jul 28 with 1272 viewsPinnerPaul

Women's Euros on 22:00 - Jul 27 by stowmarketrange

Sorry mate but I wrongly assumed that being the 2nd best team in the world would’ve made them favourites.

Fair enough, England were actually quite a short price to win.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024