Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RMT 18:54 - Jun 15 with 15832 viewsCountyJim

Good on you lads power to the people power to the Unions

They asked the government to sit down and talk but oh no I expect Boris having another party
RMT on 07:07 - Jun 21 with 1275 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The suicidal railway strike has started. The only realistic will be job losses. Passengers numbers are well below precovoid levels and a smaller network means less people are needed to run it.
The only way forward is modernisation and adopting 21st century working practices. All rail companies made losses last year even with the huge government subsidies during the coviod pandemic.
The railway unions attempts to drive passengers away will only hasten job losses.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

RMT on 08:24 - Jun 21 with 1238 viewsbuilthjack

RMT on 17:10 - Jun 20 by 1983

I work for a rail company and I'm a member of the RMT and I will be striking this week and we are very very strong dont worry about that,we were told weeks & weeks ago to bang in the O/T which there is loads of to cover our strike days the amount of BS the media comes out with is shocking. My parent company Firstgroup made £226 million this year and last year made £220 million (during covid) while our government kept tipping money into thier accounts to help them??

Google it people its all there to see but the BBC & Daily Mail people of the world don't want you to see that.

My earliest start sign on shifts in work is 05:30 I get up 04:15 and my latest finish is 23:00 I go to bed out about 1am. I get abuse on a daily basis from chavs to businessmen, I have to deal with disruption,delayed and cancelled trains and I worked all through covid while our managers were in their gardens sun bathing and all we get every now and then is a thank you email. For 21K I work loads of O/T just to get a decent wage.

Our company wasted something like £60 million a couple of years ago on trying to do up old trains and were told time and time again it wouldn't work basically trying to turn a clapped out cortina into a new BMW and it didn't work it got brushed under the carpet and now all got sold for scrap and blamed it on their god sent covid
[Post edited 20 Jun 2022 17:17]

This. No guesswork here.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

RMT on 08:50 - Jun 21 with 1224 viewsraynor94

Memories of Maggie here, the government have declared war, and they won't back down.

Banking on turning public opinion against the Unions, my fear is there are going to be a lot of job losses to come from this

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

RMT on 09:04 - Jun 21 with 1218 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Passenger numbers down 20%......something has to change.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

RMT on 09:09 - Jun 21 with 1207 viewsWhiterockin

RMT on 09:04 - Jun 21 by JACKMANANDBOY

Passenger numbers down 20%......something has to change.

Depends who you listen to, this says back up to 90% which is excellent when you consider those still working from home. With the cost of fuel more will transfer to public transport, the system just needs to be up to date and functioning properly as in other countries.

https://www.politicshome.com/members/article/railway-industry-hails-90-milestone
RMT on 09:12 - Jun 21 with 1199 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

RMT on 09:09 - Jun 21 by Whiterockin

Depends who you listen to, this says back up to 90% which is excellent when you consider those still working from home. With the cost of fuel more will transfer to public transport, the system just needs to be up to date and functioning properly as in other countries.

https://www.politicshome.com/members/article/railway-industry-hails-90-milestone

There's not many businesses that can manage a drop in income of 20% or even 10%.

RMT on 09:18 - Jun 21 with 1187 viewsWhiterockin

RMT on 09:12 - Jun 21 by JACKMANANDBOY

There's not many businesses that can manage a drop in income of 20% or even 10%.

My point was rail travel is returning and would surpass pre covid levels if the transport system in modern and efficient. The world is changing with fuel prices high, commuters would change to public transport if it was practical. Many in Swansea travel to Cardiff and Bristol daily for work, some are already making the change.
RMT on 10:09 - Jun 21 with 1162 viewswaynekerr55

You gotta laugh at the "bUt WeE hAv 2 pAy CoViD dEbT"

It's money from the BoE which is essentially ours as UK plc. It is in no way comparable to the WW2 debt to the Americans. But then again, given the risible standard of "journalism" in the UK do we expect anything different

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Login to get fewer ads

RMT on 11:55 - Jun 21 with 1120 views1983

I don't know much about many things but when you have worked in the railway industry for 25 yrs you can't help but see things we "waste" millions and million and millions of pounds every year. I work in the South of England and my company buys their supplies from a company in Birmingham ( I wonder why) we pay for an example £80 for a box of 12 smelly blue bottles to go down the the toilet I could go down the local pound shop and get 80 for that price. We order boxes and boxes of this stuff every month ££££££

We use an agency company to fill gaps for events.. concerts, football horse racing...etc and we are told only to use this company the director of this company is an ex director of our company! ££££££

Our parent company are first group and when there are engineering works we are only allowed to use first buses and then they bill the Network Rail (government) a ridiculous amount £££££££

Wake up people don't believe a word of their sh1t they are all in on it
[Post edited 21 Jun 2022 11:56]

RMT on 12:05 - Jun 21 with 1108 views1462jack

RMT on 11:55 - Jun 21 by 1983

I don't know much about many things but when you have worked in the railway industry for 25 yrs you can't help but see things we "waste" millions and million and millions of pounds every year. I work in the South of England and my company buys their supplies from a company in Birmingham ( I wonder why) we pay for an example £80 for a box of 12 smelly blue bottles to go down the the toilet I could go down the local pound shop and get 80 for that price. We order boxes and boxes of this stuff every month ££££££

We use an agency company to fill gaps for events.. concerts, football horse racing...etc and we are told only to use this company the director of this company is an ex director of our company! ££££££

Our parent company are first group and when there are engineering works we are only allowed to use first buses and then they bill the Network Rail (government) a ridiculous amount £££££££

Sounds like the Army with these dodgy ex high ranking people deciding on ridiculous contracts that make no sense and cost us a fortune only for them to end up working for them , corruption everywhere grips my sh t
RMT on 12:25 - Jun 21 with 1098 viewsfelixstowe_jack

RMT on 09:18 - Jun 21 by Whiterockin

My point was rail travel is returning and would surpass pre covid levels if the transport system in modern and efficient. The world is changing with fuel prices high, commuters would change to public transport if it was practical. Many in Swansea travel to Cardiff and Bristol daily for work, some are already making the change.

Correct but the Unions oppose all efforts to modernise and improve services. You only have to look at what happened with GWR new trains. The guards decided only they could safely close and lock the doors not the drive with a modern system in his cab.

Yet on the London underground it is perfectly safe for the driver to do it. Docklands light railways do it all automatically without the need for even a driver.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

RMT on 12:42 - Jun 21 with 1092 viewsjohnlangy

RMT on 11:55 - Jun 21 by 1983

Well done 1983. Please keep it up. The more info the better.
RMT on 15:23 - Jun 21 with 1046 viewsLorax

RMT on 12:42 - Jun 21 by johnlangy

Yes the more info,

https://www.business-live.co.uk/enterprise/huge-profits-hike-first-transpennine-

Thing is, I don't doubt there's corruption and cronyism going on, there is wherever you look. The armed forces, the NHS, the Police, politicians, they are all dipping their fingers into the till and us plebs pay the price but this train strike still makes no sense to me.

Better to work to rule, have a complete overtime ban. Keep at it for months, not a 3 day strike. Sadly most people would lose interest. they'll bang in some overtime and take a few days off and nothing will happen.
RMT on 15:27 - Jun 21 with 1044 views1983

RMT on 12:42 - Jun 21 by johnlangy

I could go on forever don't listen to these charlatans covid was their god sent its not about saving money its more about making money, over the last 10 years First group share price is back up higher than well before covid!

Listening to the narrow minded mainstream drivel on Radio 2 today about train drivers earning £50-£60k it's NOT about train drivers they are NOT striking (who by the way only earn that ridiculous amount of money due to privatisation and companies pinching drivers off each other as it costs so much to train them)

Its about the on board train crew who have to deal with football hooligans,p1ss heads & chav's. The boys on the track at 3am in the middle of January in the rain , The cleaners cleaning up sh1t,sick and used druggie needles. The station staff helping old dears, wheel chair users, visually impaired people. The gateline assistants getting abuse for delays and cancellations ...it's about these folks.

Managers haven't got a clue either my latest manager in a line of many is an ex Lloyds bank manager he's about 12 yrs old who is quickly realising the railway is sh1t in shinny paper

RMT on 15:41 - Jun 21 with 1038 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

RMT on 00:08 - Jun 21 by DJack

"A Labour spokesperson responded: "Keir has been very clear that these strikes should not go ahead.""

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/61840077

I saw an interview where he was asked if he supported the strike and he did not commit just said it should not be happening. Maybe he's shifted his position?

RMT on 15:45 - Jun 21 with 1036 viewsLorax

RMT on 15:27 - Jun 21 by 1983

I could go on forever don't listen to these charlatans covid was their god sent its not about saving money its more about making money, over the last 10 years First group share price is back up higher than well before covid!

Listening to the narrow minded mainstream drivel on Radio 2 today about train drivers earning £50-£60k it's NOT about train drivers they are NOT striking (who by the way only earn that ridiculous amount of money due to privatisation and companies pinching drivers off each other as it costs so much to train them)

Its about the on board train crew who have to deal with football hooligans,p1ss heads & chav's. The boys on the track at 3am in the middle of January in the rain , The cleaners cleaning up sh1t,sick and used druggie needles. The station staff helping old dears, wheel chair users, visually impaired people. The gateline assistants getting abuse for delays and cancellations ...it's about these folks.

Managers haven't got a clue either my latest manager in a line of many is an ex Lloyds bank manager he's about 12 yrs old who is quickly realising the railway is sh1t in shinny paper

Y'know, these things, "Its about the on board train crew who have to deal with football hooligans,p1ss heads & chav's. The boys on the track at 3am in the middle of January in the rain , The cleaners cleaning up sh1t,sick and used druggie needles. The station staff helping old dears, wheel chair users, visually impaired people. The gateline assistants getting abuse for delays and cancellations ...it's about these folk"

A lot of that paragraph applies to a lot of jobs that don't even earn 21k. A minimum wage job on 37.5 hours is approx 18.5k per year.
RMT on 15:57 - Jun 21 with 1030 views1983

RMT on 15:45 - Jun 21 by Lorax

Y'know, these things, "Its about the on board train crew who have to deal with football hooligans,p1ss heads & chav's. The boys on the track at 3am in the middle of January in the rain , The cleaners cleaning up sh1t,sick and used druggie needles. The station staff helping old dears, wheel chair users, visually impaired people. The gateline assistants getting abuse for delays and cancellations ...it's about these folk"

A lot of that paragraph applies to a lot of jobs that don't even earn 21k. A minimum wage job on 37.5 hours is approx 18.5k per year.

Didn't say otherwise I'm just fed up with the misguided, misinformed general public listening to the propaganda wheeled out all the time. I was listening to some bloke on the TV today banging on about how British Rail need to sort it out ! FFS British Rail ceased in 1997 what hope have you got talking to these blinkered people

RMT on 16:18 - Jun 21 with 1018 viewspencoedjack

RMT on 12:25 - Jun 21 by felixstowe_jack

Correct but the Unions oppose all efforts to modernise and improve services. You only have to look at what happened with GWR new trains. The guards decided only they could safely close and lock the doors not the drive with a modern system in his cab.

Yet on the London underground it is perfectly safe for the driver to do it. Docklands light railways do it all automatically without the need for even a driver.

Id say allowing employees to work as much overtime as possible to cover their wages for an upcoming strike says a lot about the rail network.

It needs modernizing & be run in the same way as trains in the NL France Belgium & Switzerland all of which I have travelled on.

No issue with 1983 as he is a very good poster but anyone expecting an 9% plus pay rise in the current climate isn't in touch with reality.
RMT on 16:50 - Jun 21 with 1002 viewsLorax

RMT on 16:18 - Jun 21 by pencoedjack

Id say allowing employees to work as much overtime as possible to cover their wages for an upcoming strike says a lot about the rail network.

It needs modernizing & be run in the same way as trains in the NL France Belgium & Switzerland all of which I have travelled on.

No issue with 1983 as he is a very good poster but anyone expecting an 9% plus pay rise in the current climate isn't in touch with reality.

Look at the prices people pay for a truly awful service. You buy a ticket which is for a seat but at peak times, unless you want to sit on the roof, there's no chance! prices have gone up and up but the service doesn't improve, it's bit like stamps with Royal mail!

It has to be modernised, there has to be improvements but that doesn't mean the workers should suffer. The trouble with this country is, to the people at the top give and take is a one way street, we give, they take. There's no real cooperation or intention to work together and some of our militant union leaders don't help.

It's long past time Labour got out of the bed with the unions and also long past time that the big bosses took their heads out of their collective backsides and worked with the staff.
When I was a rep with CWU, which was less than a year, I saw.....I can't repeat it publicly but it was bad and I have never forgiven a certain manager for his behaviour. I don't really hate many people but that manager is top of a very short list.

The problem is, as pencoed says, they have no chance of getting 9%. There are other unions watching, balloting for action, if they all demand big pay rises it will only fuel inflation and where will it end?
Personally I totally disagree with percentage pay rises, all they do is widen the pay gap. It's time everybody got real, including the bosses. People deserve a better chance to earn a living but what the answer to it all is, I wish I knew.
RMT on 17:21 - Jun 21 with 979 viewsBryanSwan

So you would want the rail service to be re-nationalised?

You never set your stall out at the % you are willing to accept as it will always be bartered down.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

RMT on 17:42 - Jun 21 with 955 viewspencoedjack

RMT on 16:50 - Jun 21 by Lorax

Look at the prices people pay for a truly awful service. You buy a ticket which is for a seat but at peak times, unless you want to sit on the roof, there's no chance! prices have gone up and up but the service doesn't improve, it's bit like stamps with Royal mail!

It has to be modernised, there has to be improvements but that doesn't mean the workers should suffer. The trouble with this country is, to the people at the top give and take is a one way street, we give, they take. There's no real cooperation or intention to work together and some of our militant union leaders don't help.

It's long past time Labour got out of the bed with the unions and also long past time that the big bosses took their heads out of their collective backsides and worked with the staff.
When I was a rep with CWU, which was less than a year, I saw.....I can't repeat it publicly but it was bad and I have never forgiven a certain manager for his behaviour. I don't really hate many people but that manager is top of a very short list.

The problem is, as pencoed says, they have no chance of getting 9%. There are other unions watching, balloting for action, if they all demand big pay rises it will only fuel inflation and where will it end?
Personally I totally disagree with percentage pay rises, all they do is widen the pay gap. It's time everybody got real, including the bosses. People deserve a better chance to earn a living but what the answer to it all is, I wish I knew.

Totally agree with your last paragraph, as a manager it annoys me when I give pay rises to people who have worked for my company for a few years on a low stating salary & those on higher pay who are not as good but are on a better basic pay (historical people who I inherited when I took the role).

Guess what the unions said when I tried to change it so the lower paid staff had a higher % pay rise although all are union members.

Rolls Royce have just given a 1 off 3 grand payout to lower paid non union staff for a year which to me is forward thinking but the union has to agree to it for their members.
RMT on 17:45 - Jun 21 with 953 viewspencoedjack

RMT on 16:50 - Jun 21 by Lorax

Ticket prices

It amazes me I can find a better deal on line than I can when I go into the ticket office in Bridgend & speak to one of the two unhelpful workers in their office.

Not exactly helping themselves.
RMT on 18:01 - Jun 21 with 946 viewsLorax

RMT on 17:45 - Jun 21 by pencoedjack

Ticket prices

It amazes me I can find a better deal on line than I can when I go into the ticket office in Bridgend & speak to one of the two unhelpful workers in their office.

Not exactly helping themselves.

Myself and a mate went to watch us play Arsenal one season, when the fixtures came out he said shall we take a gamble the game isn't moved and buy train tickets now which was 3 months before the game. We paid £18 and pennies each. On the day of travel, I looked at the price that day, it was £184 for a return, ten times the price. That makes no sense to me. On the day we had seats all the way there because were on at Swansea but the aisles were full before we hit Reading. All those people standing, how many had paid a lot more than us?

We know that when privatisation happened the companies milked the trains for every penny then moaned when the tracks needed work and the running stock was falling apart, they asked the government for money but it was management failings, well greed really.
We need to re-nationalise the trains and the utilities but we need better contracts, better working conditions and a proper independent negotiating system that has powers to force people to the table.
RMT on 18:25 - Jun 21 with 922 viewsbritferry

a pic that is manna from heaven for the Tories

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

RMT on 19:10 - Jun 21 with 907 views1983

The whole railway is run on overtime its a massive industry when Shapps said anyone who strikes can't do overtime the whole industry laughed at him because he didn't realise we did so much over time to bump up our wages.I'm in on Sunday doing an overtime shift and some are boys are in tomorrow doing overtime as well. That's why he's gone into hiding and telling the companies to sort it out now.

As for ticketing prices your right get them up to 3 months in advance for cheaper prices no different to the air companies, as for seating there is a difference you are paying for your journey not a seat it states that in the passenger charter the more people they squeeze on the train the more profit for shareholders £££££

The reason the railway is better in main land Europe is simple during the second World War the allies bombed the hell out of them and they had to rebuild but the Nazis bombed our ports not our railways, we are running brand new trains on victorian infastructure basically we are filling pot holes on a B road then turning around and starting all over again. When there's engineering works ay weekends, Xmas,Easter...etc people moan you can't win

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024