Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
End of season do - £65!! 17:59 - Mar 19 with 48831 viewsChaffRAFC

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2018/march/event-gala-dinner--awards-night/

Utterly ludicrous in my book. Bollocks to a meal and all that stuff.

Very good chance this will be the end of season do after a relegation from League One!

Genuinely hope nobody goes in the hope that the club finally take a step back and look at the decisions they make!

And they wonder why I think "Team Rochdale" is dead.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

End of season do - £65!! on 16:13 - Mar 20 with 3170 viewsrochdaleriddler

If we are relegated on 5th may, who would honestly want to see an awards event taking place.

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

End of season do - £65!! on 16:15 - Mar 20 with 3166 viewsMolly

End of season do - £65!! on 13:23 - Mar 20 by D_Alien

Let them eat Ritz

That's just crackers.
End of season do - £65!! on 16:23 - Mar 20 with 3123 viewsChaffRAFC

End of season do - £65!! on 14:50 - Mar 20 by smaclad1

Can confirm that SMAC was not consulted about this. Our chair received the following email yesterday afternoon, probably around the time the article went live on the club website, so in that regard listing our trophy might be a bit premature -

"Dear
I hope you are well.
I wanted to let you know that this year we are going to be holding a Gala Dinner at Rochdale Town Hall on Sunday 6th May to celebrate the Players End of Season Awards, along with a special guest appearance from Jeff Stelling.
The reason why we have chosen to do this differently this year is to celebrate the end of our 110th anniversary season, to celebrate our FA Cup success and the 50th year of our first ever promotion in the 68/69 season. It has been a remarkable season and one which will hopefully end with us remaining in League One.
We will be keeping all of the awards the same, and you will still be able to choose the winner of the SMAC Player of the Season Award, however this year we are asking for sponsors for each award to help fund the cost of the event.
Therefore, it will be the SMAC Player of the Season Award sponsored by xxxxx.
The sponsor will then present the award on the night.
I appreciate that this is different to the normal running of this event and that you may be disappointed with the changes. We are intending that this is a one-off celebration event and I hope that we can gain your support.
You can of course sponsor the Award itself — the cost is £1,000 plus VAT and includes:
- Receive a table of 10 at the Gala Dinner
- Award sponsorship
- Presentation of Award to the Player on stage
- Name / logo in official awards programme
- Website & social media coverage
Alternatively, tickets for the event are £65 per adult. Unfortunately we are unable to sell tickets to under 16’s for this event.
I hope that this is acceptable. Should you wish to discuss further or require any more information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards,

So...we can't present our own award, unless we come up with £1000 for the privilege. And that isn't going to happen. What has been overlooked by the club is that these trophies belong to the fans or families, they are not the club's to hawk around. If the club want their own awards evening they should come up with their own awards for the sponsors.

We responded to the club yesterday, pretty much raising points elsewhere in this thread.

Oh wow.

I sincerely hope that SMAC and the Trust both pull their awards from the night and don't allow the club to use their names on the award.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

End of season do - £65!! on 16:24 - Mar 20 with 3109 views442Dale

End of season do - £65!! on 16:01 - Mar 20 by BlueDales

Personally, I have no problem with this event, as long as the usual free awards night still takes place alongside it.

If not, then I understand the outrage about it.

We need only look at Col’s post from page one where concerns were raised at a Trust meeting with directors and the mention made of the possible damage to “Team Rochdale” as a reason for the reaction at this stage. Whatever happens next, those concerns appear to have had little impact on the decisions made around the event.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 16:28]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

End of season do - £65!! on 16:25 - Mar 20 with 3102 views442Dale

End of season do - £65!! on 16:13 - Mar 20 by rochdaleriddler

If we are relegated on 5th may, who would honestly want to see an awards event taking place.

Me. In 2067.

End of season do - £65!! on 16:31 - Mar 20 with 3077 viewsDaleFan7

End of season do - £65!! on 16:01 - Mar 20 by BlueDales

Personally, I have no problem with this event, as long as the usual free awards night still takes place alongside it.

If not, then I understand the outrage about it.

The fact they are saying it's a different way of running the event and hope the original supporters of the awards continue their support suggests this is a replacement.
End of season do - £65!! on 16:36 - Mar 20 with 3045 viewsjudd

End of season do - £65!! on 16:31 - Mar 20 by DaleFan7

The fact they are saying it's a different way of running the event and hope the original supporters of the awards continue their support suggests this is a replacement.

Oh it's fookin' different alright.

No kids allowed.

From £3 a ticket to £65 (OK, you get some food and fizz)

A black tie event - suit hire probably required

Carriages (Sweet fookin' Jesus, no hope for Streamline then)

Riding roughshod over awards the club does not own

I get the feeling that the club will not back down on this.

Prepare for the consequences.

Poll: What is it to be then?

End of season do - £65!! on 16:39 - Mar 20 with 3029 viewsValleySaddler

End of season do - £65!! on 16:36 - Mar 20 by judd

No kids allowed.

If the club won’t back down,then neither should we!
Login to get fewer ads

End of season do - £65!! on 16:41 - Mar 20 with 3025 viewsDaleFan7

End of season do - £65!! on 16:39 - Mar 20 by ValleySaddler

If the club won’t back down,then neither should we!

I'll be writing to them to tell them the reasons I won't be attending. Not that they'll be bothered.
End of season do - £65!! on 16:58 - Mar 20 with 2955 viewsSuddenLad

End of season do - £65!! on 16:36 - Mar 20 by judd

No kids allowed.

Where is there any mention of it being a 'black tie' event ?

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

End of season do - £65!! on 16:59 - Mar 20 with 2942 viewsjudd

End of season do - £65!! on 16:58 - Mar 20 by SuddenLad

Where is there any mention of it being a 'black tie' event ?

It was relayed to me verbally.

It would not surprise me if it is true.

End of season do - £65!! on 17:00 - Mar 20 with 2939 viewsColDale

http://www.daletrust.co.uk/2018/03/trust-statement-4/
End of season do - £65!! on 17:00 - Mar 20 with 2936 viewsbazingadale

I for one think it's a great idea to bring a bit of class and civilisation to proceedings. I'll even give them an award to give out seeing as you all want others pulled "the bazingadale stick it to the fans award"
End of season do - £65!! on 17:02 - Mar 20 with 2931 viewsSuddenLad

End of season do - £65!! on 16:59 - Mar 20 by judd

It was relayed to me verbally.

It would not surprise me if it is true.

Well, there's no mention of it anywhere on the publicity posters.

[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 17:05]

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

End of season do - £65!! on 17:04 - Mar 20 with 2925 viewsjudd

End of season do - £65!! on 17:02 - Mar 20 by SuddenLad

Well, there's no mention of it anywhere on the publicity posters.

[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 17:05]

Well we'll just have to see, won't we?

Can't imagine you'll be let in in your trackie bottoms tucked in yer socks.

End of season do - £65!! on 17:11 - Mar 20 with 2877 views442Dale

End of season do - £65!! on 17:00 - Mar 20 by ColDale

http://www.daletrust.co.uk/2018/03/trust-statement-4/

Good statement. Those words should be taken on board by all concerned.

End of season do - £65!! on 17:12 - Mar 20 with 2870 viewsjudd

End of season do - £65!! on 17:11 - Mar 20 by 442Dale

Good statement. Those words should be taken on board by all concerned.

It is a good preliminary statement and I hope the Trust can take further action in not supporting the event in any way.

End of season do - £65!! on 17:22 - Mar 20 with 2825 views442Dale

End of season do - £65!! on 17:12 - Mar 20 by judd

It is a good preliminary statement and I hope the Trust can take further action in not supporting the event in any way.

That’s it, an initial statement ahead of gathering views from fans and acting accordingly.

End of season do - £65!! on 17:54 - Mar 20 with 2696 viewsrochdale_ranger

End of season do - £65!! on 17:04 - Mar 20 by judd

Well we'll just have to see, won't we?

Can't imagine you'll be let in in your trackie bottoms tucked in yer socks.

If Dunphys coat during his half time interview with the bbc at the spurs game is anything to go by it wouldn’t surprise me. Wouldn’t spend money on his own funeral that guy.
End of season do - £65!! on 17:57 - Mar 20 with 2673 viewschuckleberry

Wasn't the original idea of this event to celebrate 50 years since our first promotion (albeit a year early)? As many of the original team that are still with us would be invited which seemed like a great idea.
This doesn't.
End of season do - £65!! on 17:58 - Mar 20 with 2668 viewsrochdale_ranger

To be fair with regards to all this though after all the insults the club has dished out to fans this season the fact that some people are getting in their high horse about this speaks volumes. Maybe some people on here need to realise that they aren’t as important as they would like to think.
End of season do - £65!! on 20:43 - Mar 20 with 2422 viewskiwidale

End of season do - £65!! on 17:58 - Mar 20 by rochdale_ranger

To be fair with regards to all this though after all the insults the club has dished out to fans this season the fact that some people are getting in their high horse about this speaks volumes. Maybe some people on here need to realise that they aren’t as important as they would like to think.

I don't think anybody on here thinks they are special or overly important at all. What has surprised many is just how vulgar and of little consequence we are in the eyes of whoever proposed and authorised this event. As many have said the event in isolation is a great idea and could quite easily have dovetailed with what has become an annual awards night event after the last game. It might have necessitated the usual award night being brought forward to the penultimate home game but that would not be seen as a slight on ordinary fans and children.

I cant help but think this would never have happened under Colin Garlick's stewardship? Many things that have happened recently that have sown discord and alienated the fans have happened since Colin left Town and the new Sherriff arrived.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 20:47]

This is not the time for bickering.

End of season do - £65!! on 20:58 - Mar 20 with 2393 viewsRAFCBLUE

I'm not clear which of the many reasons to object to this are the main ones, but the fact there are many speaks volumes.

Is it:

a) The cost of the end of season do moving from £3 to £65?
b) The nature of the sponsorship of the awards many of which are fan based/owned awards in memory of certain people or things being "sponsored"
c) The lack or disregard for meaningful consultation.
d) The moving of the "do" from an informal pub based environment to a formal meal based environment.
e) Something else

This thread reads like an omnishambles of celebrating 49 years since promotion (not 50) and wanting to (or expecting to) believe that people might be upset if you take something that works and p*ss about with it to the point that it alienates.

On the club side, where does £65 come from? That is a lot of money.

The gross annual earnings from the Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings, 2015 said that the average salary in Rochdale is £20,196

£65 is more than a days pay on average for most of our fanbase based on that data. And yes, averages can mislead but in Rochdale, £65 is a lot of money.

Secondly, there is talk that the sponsorship of the awards is to cover the cost of the event. judd posted 10 awards - £10,000 to the club plus punters at £65 a head, say 10 tables of 10 - another £6,500. £16,500 cost. How much is Jeff Stelling if the club is not making a whacking margin on this?

If those on here want to make the point well enough there are some really obvious possible options:

1) Those Goldbond collectors who feel strongly can stop collecting their rounds for a couple of weeks.
2) The fan-based awards should be withdrawn and given to Brian Barry Murphy or Steve Collis - in a nod to a player who has contributed precisely nothing to the outcomes of this season.
3) Boycott the Charlton game on the 5th May at 17.30.
4) The fans should have their own awards night in the Spotland Reform club on the 6th May. The Sunday is on a bank holiday weekend and with reasonable prices on the bar and free entry. If you spend £65 in the Spotland Reform club at the bar you won't remember Monday.

The Team Rochdale thing is and always was a sell to get people together.

Now we've money in the bank the Trust have no voice and are thus ignored. That's a shame when there are many members who are representative of our fan base.

Lots wrong and I've not understood why announce this the day before our most key home game vs Fleetwood. It's like they want us to go down!
[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 21:48]

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

End of season do - £65!! on 21:43 - Mar 20 with 2336 viewsDorislove

Good luck with selling £65 tickets RAFC ,you tend to reap what you sow in life.
End of season do - £65!! on 22:26 - Mar 20 with 2216 views442Dale

The Trust listened to supporters concerns tonight and they were all taken on board. Amongst other things there were requests made that they not allow their award to be sponsored and presented on the night (as others have said on here), and that to find an alternative way of giving it to the player of the season.

Please if you have any feelings on the subject, email them as they requested fans should if possible. They have a meeting this Thursday and there will be a further update to supporters in the near future.

Email: info@daletrust.co.uk

Even if it’s just copying and pasting a post you may have made on here/Facebook, do so please.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024