Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smyth 08:28 - Aug 25 with 6219 viewsGaryBannister86

I think he's started pretty well this season, much improved and more direct and even some better end product. I thought one cross in particular Celar should have been there for (certainly Dykes would have been labelled "on his heels" anyway).

But, can someone have a word? Stop diving. Stop throwing yourself to the floor at the slightest touch.

I'm all for winning a penalty, but the one today right in front of us at the Loft Standing was a total embarrassment, made all the more frustrating that if he was less obsessed at leaving a foot out or whatever cheating it is they do nowadays, he would have been deep into the penalty box and totally free.

All you need to know is that it was down our end, late into a frustrating game, and even the fans' appeals were half-hearted.

Come on Paul, believe in yourself more. You get hacked down enough times anyway when you genuinely beat people.
Smyth on 08:39 - Aug 25 with 4343 viewsQPunkR

A thousand times this. I can tolerate his wayward (to be extremely charitable) final ball, but his constant diving - running out of good way to stick his arse at the defender - makes me resent him more and more. It’s embarrassing. And like you say, very often he does it when he could be away into the area otherwise, so it’s also brainless

QPR - "shit but local"

Smyth on 10:02 - Aug 25 with 4144 viewsPaddyhoops

Smyth must score. Sadly he didn’t.
Smyth on 10:09 - Aug 25 with 4110 viewsconnell10

Stan and Rod both dived all the time, im all for it if its inside the penalty area, sorry if this upsets the saints on here.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Smyth on 10:15 - Aug 25 with 4085 viewsGaryBannister86

Smyth on 10:09 - Aug 25 by connell10

Stan and Rod both dived all the time, im all for it if its inside the penalty area, sorry if this upsets the saints on here.

It's not about being a saint, I couldn't care less if we cheated our way to promotion. The fact is choosing to dive (badly) rather than get onto a great chance is just stupid. And he does it quite often.
Smyth on 10:19 - Aug 25 with 4059 viewsessextaxiboy

I only had a year or two watching Marsh so cant comment but I dont remember Stan diving much.
I remember the likes of Pejic, Harris, Storey Smith and every other hard man (every team had one) kicking him to the floor every game .
[Post edited 25 Aug 10:33]
Smyth on 10:23 - Aug 25 with 4025 viewsGhost_on_the_Westway

Let’s not pretend - he’s just not championship standard player, simple as that.

The very second he has to produce a decent cross or, y’know, score a goal, he plops his pants.

Maybe Ainsworth signed him in preparation for a season in Lge 1, I dunno.
Smyth on 10:35 - Aug 25 with 3949 viewsHayesender

Thought he played quite well yesterday, even managed to put in a couple of decent crosses, but for me he shouldn't be starting. Should only be coming off the bench to run at tired defenders

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Smyth on 10:46 - Aug 25 with 3887 viewsHunterhoop

Smyth on 10:35 - Aug 25 by Hayesender

Thought he played quite well yesterday, even managed to put in a couple of decent crosses, but for me he shouldn't be starting. Should only be coming off the bench to run at tired defenders

Agree. I bring a mate who is a neutral several times a season as he lives about 100 yards from the ground. He is really likes Smyth. We all know he doesn’t score or assist enough for his pace and the positions he finds himself in. However, he does worry defenders. He gets into those positions in the first place. He wins us corners and dangerous free kicks. I don’t think he should be a first choice when everyone is fit, but as a sub/back up in the squad, I think he’s very much worth having around. I definitely think he’s good enough to play in the Championship. He’s just not starter level for a top half club. He won’t be a starter for us when everyone is fit and available, I suspect. But he should always be in the matchday squad. He is useful. Never underestimate pace and how it helps all our other players.
Login to get fewer ads

Smyth on 10:54 - Aug 25 with 3840 viewsdaveB

he needs to make the dives a lot less obvious if he's going to do it
Smyth on 11:46 - Aug 25 with 3722 viewsNorthantsHoop

Much better as an impact substitute last 20 mins of a game against tired defenders, just not a starter for me. Good to have as a squad player but his finishing and crossing is to say the least variable. Reckon if he was the 2nd half sub at around the 70th minute yesterday may have got us over the line with a win.
Smyth on 12:08 - Aug 25 with 3657 viewsEsox_Lucius

Something that appears to have been overlooked is how his pace kept Cissoko quiet during the game. I know a lot of their fans were looking forward to him doing a number on our defence and Smyth was often the one negating his potential impact.
WRT his shielding the ball, it reminds me a lot of Bradley Allen who used exactly the same tactic and would draw fouls for it.

The grass is always greener.

Smyth on 12:30 - Aug 25 with 3585 viewsLblock

I like Smudge

He had a great game yesterday and he was rightfully annoyed people weren’t moving in the six yard box to get on the end of crosses.
He’s a pacey, busy and committed little fukka who links quite well with his full back

Elephant in the room is the “end product” that gets thrown at him.
Funny how some people very quick to spout the line of “if so and so didn’t have something wrong with them they’d not be at our club” but then don’t cut certain players slack. I’d also say certain things like one on ones need to be worked on and coached so the thought process is second nature.

He’s won us enough dangerous free kicks and corners so can carry on for me.

That’s it from the Smudge Fan Club

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Smyth on 13:35 - Aug 25 with 3416 viewsquickpassrotter

Smyth on 10:23 - Aug 25 by Ghost_on_the_Westway

Let’s not pretend - he’s just not championship standard player, simple as that.

The very second he has to produce a decent cross or, y’know, score a goal, he plops his pants.

Maybe Ainsworth signed him in preparation for a season in Lge 1, I dunno.

I want to like and support all our players who take the field for us. I want to like Paul Smyth. But to be blunt, he just isn't a Championship standard player. His biggest issue is that he doesn't get it strategically or tactically. He must be told throughout training sessions what his exact role is - but he simply can't deliver. Yes, he's quick - but doesn't have lighten pace. His instant control of the ball is good but is then wayward as he advances forward. His crossing of the ball is inconsistent, and that's being kind. He almost always seems to shoot ''high'' and often takes the wrong options. The biggest issue is that with how the game is played today he has a responsibility and remit to get back and pick up the overlapping opposition full back and stop him advancing, crossing etc. He totally fails there. Cook and Dunne spent most of the first half yesterday berating him again (I sit on the Sth Africa Road side) about his positional sense and his late/poor tracking back. He often gets lost in no man's land from the edge of the area and 20 yards up from there. When all are fit and available he will become a bench warmer I think.
Smyth on 13:44 - Aug 25 with 3356 viewsWatford_Ranger

We’ve been better with him on the pitch than without him this season IMO and have been for some time when you consider the dross that was the first half at Brammall Lane. Not everyone’s cup of tea and that’s fine but when the chips are down he’s one I want in my team. Helps get us up the pitch. Always looking for the ball and tries to do something positive with it which won’t always come off.

Delivery much better yesterday. Should have scored early but if he was good at everything he wouldn’t be a QPR squad player.
Smyth on 13:47 - Aug 25 with 3335 viewsLazyFan

Smyth on 10:46 - Aug 25 by Hunterhoop

Agree. I bring a mate who is a neutral several times a season as he lives about 100 yards from the ground. He is really likes Smyth. We all know he doesn’t score or assist enough for his pace and the positions he finds himself in. However, he does worry defenders. He gets into those positions in the first place. He wins us corners and dangerous free kicks. I don’t think he should be a first choice when everyone is fit, but as a sub/back up in the squad, I think he’s very much worth having around. I definitely think he’s good enough to play in the Championship. He’s just not starter level for a top half club. He won’t be a starter for us when everyone is fit and available, I suspect. But he should always be in the matchday squad. He is useful. Never underestimate pace and how it helps all our other players.

Agree.

Keep Smyth as he's a useful player. Also, even though he's older, I notice he keeps improving his game ever so slightly. He's got smarter and also more aggressive. He's progressing still, so he's worth keeping.

zzzzzzzzzz

Smyth on 15:00 - Aug 25 with 3203 viewsconnell10

Smyth on 10:19 - Aug 25 by essextaxiboy

I only had a year or two watching Marsh so cant comment but I dont remember Stan diving much.
I remember the likes of Pejic, Harris, Storey Smith and every other hard man (every team had one) kicking him to the floor every game .
[Post edited 25 Aug 10:33]

Oh mate he did , he even admitted it . He made it a art form , traliing leg , over and a pen.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Smyth on 16:02 - Aug 25 with 3049 viewsLogman

I'm a Smyth fan. Sure he's not mazy and often runs up a cul-de-sac but he's really committed and links very well with Jimmy Dunne (maybe because of the Northern Ireland connection). That type of commitment can get you places, as we are seeing with Frey up top also. Tackling back is also an attribute, Saito didn't do this once or twice. At least until Saito, Chair and Andersen are running on all cyclinders, Smyth starts for me.
Smyth on 16:10 - Aug 25 with 3005 viewsgazza1

I have a lot of time for Smyth, his attitude is fantastic, likewise his efforts. Sadly he is just not quite a Championship level player.
Smyth on 16:16 - Aug 25 with 2993 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Smyth on 10:54 - Aug 25 by daveB

he needs to make the dives a lot less obvious if he's going to do it

The problem he is going to have pretty soon if not already is the refs know he throws himself to the ground so he might not get a stone wall penalty like the boy who cried wolf .
His crosses are discussed daily on here as well as the lack of strikers to meet those high,low, too close to the keeper etc so he should just cut in himself and get a good strike on goal off or a penalty
Smyth on 16:19 - Aug 25 with 2950 viewsBoston

I wouldn't claim that Marsh invented the dive, but for a couple of seasons he had it down to a tee. Sold many a good Ref down the river.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Smyth on 16:20 - Aug 25 with 2938 viewsThe_Beast1976

I agree. He seems to prefer to win a free kick rather than beat a player, and prefer to win a corner rather than get a cross into the box. Shame really. If he took a more positive attitude and sought to beat a player and/or slung a cross into the box, you never know what may happen
[Post edited 25 Aug 16:21]
Smyth on 16:32 - Aug 25 with 2859 viewsMyke

Smyth on 16:02 - Aug 25 by Logman

I'm a Smyth fan. Sure he's not mazy and often runs up a cul-de-sac but he's really committed and links very well with Jimmy Dunne (maybe because of the Northern Ireland connection). That type of commitment can get you places, as we are seeing with Frey up top also. Tackling back is also an attribute, Saito didn't do this once or twice. At least until Saito, Chair and Andersen are running on all cyclinders, Smyth starts for me.

Did Dunne ever represent NI? I know he was born in Drogheda and has a couple of U21 caps for the Republic. Being close to the border he may have relations in NI and represented them at under age also, but I wasn't aware of this.
On Smyth, I just think he is the latest scapegoat. He is an honest, hard-working player, who gives his max every game. Some aspects of his game are limited; his finishing could certainly be more composed. But I would have him in the match day squad every game and would have no qualms about him when he starts. If Chair goes and Dembele plays more central I believe they can work well together. He also contributes a lot defensively, which may go unnoticed at times.
Smyth on 16:55 - Aug 25 with 2796 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I thought he was poor yesterday and that if we had a better player to replace him we’d
most likely have won.

He missed a one-on-one.
For some reason in the first half he often tracked back through the centre, and once he didn’t track at all, leaving Dunne often isolated against Plymouth’s main threat, their No.7.
After the sending-off, he was given an endless supply of quality ball (mainly be the excellent Cook) as Plymouth defended in a narrow triangle and gave us the wings. He was often given the overlap by the excellent Dunne. He usually ignored that, rarely beat his man with the same ease that Dunne managed against these same player, and rarely if ever looked up before crossing, happy to bang crosses into general areas, and often into the first man.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Smyth on 16:59 - Aug 25 with 2780 viewsOxfordHoops

Agree with you, he’s a hard working industrious player, unfortunately he lacks a lack of real consistent quality, He’s a great squad player and has the ability to impact a game when coming on, but for me he shouldn’t be starting until he shows the consistency we need.
You cannot fault his attitude and work rate, he always puts in a shift
Smyth on 17:30 - Aug 25 with 2638 viewsdutch

One of the most frustrating players ever to wear the hoops. How can you be so good at half your job and so bad at the other bit. His diving is ridiculous, his crosses useless, his finishing absolutely preposterous. Why can coaches not make him better at what he can't do ? Is he a footballer or not? Really not sure he deserves a place on he bench while being so profligate.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024