Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smyth 08:28 - Aug 25 with 6331 viewsGaryBannister86

I think he's started pretty well this season, much improved and more direct and even some better end product. I thought one cross in particular Celar should have been there for (certainly Dykes would have been labelled "on his heels" anyway).

But, can someone have a word? Stop diving. Stop throwing yourself to the floor at the slightest touch.

I'm all for winning a penalty, but the one today right in front of us at the Loft Standing was a total embarrassment, made all the more frustrating that if he was less obsessed at leaving a foot out or whatever cheating it is they do nowadays, he would have been deep into the penalty box and totally free.

All you need to know is that it was down our end, late into a frustrating game, and even the fans' appeals were half-hearted.

Come on Paul, believe in yourself more. You get hacked down enough times anyway when you genuinely beat people.
Smyth on 17:33 - Aug 25 with 1828 viewsNorthernr

Smyth on 17:30 - Aug 25 by dutch

One of the most frustrating players ever to wear the hoops. How can you be so good at half your job and so bad at the other bit. His diving is ridiculous, his crosses useless, his finishing absolutely preposterous. Why can coaches not make him better at what he can't do ? Is he a footballer or not? Really not sure he deserves a place on he bench while being so profligate.

Yeh it's a proper one of those 'there must be something wrong with you if you're playing here' jobs isn't it? Goes past his man every time, does nothing with it ever.
Smyth on 17:49 - Aug 25 with 1737 viewsMyke

Smyth on 16:55 - Aug 25 by BrianMcCarthy

I thought he was poor yesterday and that if we had a better player to replace him we’d
most likely have won.

He missed a one-on-one.
For some reason in the first half he often tracked back through the centre, and once he didn’t track at all, leaving Dunne often isolated against Plymouth’s main threat, their No.7.
After the sending-off, he was given an endless supply of quality ball (mainly be the excellent Cook) as Plymouth defended in a narrow triangle and gave us the wings. He was often given the overlap by the excellent Dunne. He usually ignored that, rarely beat his man with the same ease that Dunne managed against these same player, and rarely if ever looked up before crossing, happy to bang crosses into general areas, and often into the first man.

Funny how you can watch the same game and have a different viewpoint. I thought he was excellent yesterday, best player after Dembele and Frey. Unfortunately all three of them became less influential as time went on, when you would be hoping that Plymouth would have been starting to tire.
Smyth on 18:27 - Aug 25 with 1598 viewsQPunkR

Smyth on 16:32 - Aug 25 by Myke

Did Dunne ever represent NI? I know he was born in Drogheda and has a couple of U21 caps for the Republic. Being close to the border he may have relations in NI and represented them at under age also, but I wasn't aware of this.
On Smyth, I just think he is the latest scapegoat. He is an honest, hard-working player, who gives his max every game. Some aspects of his game are limited; his finishing could certainly be more composed. But I would have him in the match day squad every game and would have no qualms about him when he starts. If Chair goes and Dembele plays more central I believe they can work well together. He also contributes a lot defensively, which may go unnoticed at times.

'Honest'? We're discussing his abysmal diving!!

QPR - "shit but local"

Smyth on 19:20 - Aug 25 with 1531 viewsconnell10

Keep hearing the word not championship quality player? God he must be shite then as the average championship player in a average championship team is on average not very good! I personally think he is a average championship player in a very average championship team so I'm OK with him.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Smyth on 20:13 - Aug 25 with 1442 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Smyth on 17:49 - Aug 25 by Myke

Funny how you can watch the same game and have a different viewpoint. I thought he was excellent yesterday, best player after Dembele and Frey. Unfortunately all three of them became less influential as time went on, when you would be hoping that Plymouth would have been starting to tire.

"Funny how you can watch the same game and have a different viewpoint."

Absolutely. Happens all the time, doesn't it?

My mate Donny, who's my longest-standing Rangers friend (God help him!) and who was sitting beside me yesterday, disagrees with me generally on Smyth. Like you, he thought he was good yesterday.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Smyth on 20:17 - Aug 25 with 1411 viewsdaveB

for me he's good enough for this level but not yet developed into one who would be a starting player in a top half side which is what i think we're looking for, his end product is just lacking but he's a good player to have, is full of energy and always gives his best. Well worth keeping and he'll have an impact for us this season
Smyth on 20:19 - Aug 25 with 1400 viewsNorthernr

Smyth on 20:17 - Aug 25 by daveB

for me he's good enough for this level but not yet developed into one who would be a starting player in a top half side which is what i think we're looking for, his end product is just lacking but he's a good player to have, is full of energy and always gives his best. Well worth keeping and he'll have an impact for us this season

Impact sub.
Smyth on 20:40 - Aug 25 with 1324 viewsrichpr

His diving is embarassing. He has already been labelled as a diver and the opposition will for sure let the ref know. Our penalty count is so low. I think MC summed up our play vs. 10 man Plymouth as not patient enough. Sums up Smyth who is skillful but too gung-ho (dictionary meaning...unthinkingly enthusiastic and eager). His finishing needs work - he always shoots at the keeper - try going round the keeper! His crossing is always hopeful - try cutting it back for a change. MC will soon lose patience if he carries on as he is going.
Login to get fewer ads

Smyth on 09:46 - Aug 26 with 1074 viewsterryb

Smyth on 10:19 - Aug 25 by essextaxiboy

I only had a year or two watching Marsh so cant comment but I dont remember Stan diving much.
I remember the likes of Pejic, Harris, Storey Smith and every other hard man (every team had one) kicking him to the floor every game .
[Post edited 25 Aug 10:33]

Easter Monday 1976 comes instantly to mind!

Without the penalty that Stan won, the defeat at Norwich on the Saturday would not have been the game that lost the championship.
Smyth on 04:27 - Aug 27 with 783 viewsrbee

His pace causes defenders problems but his end product could be better. We could be talking about Armstrong or Smythe.

Out of the two I prefer Smythe but can't see anyone giving us 3 million for him.
Smyth on 04:42 - Aug 27 with 776 viewsnumptydumpty

Smyth on 04:27 - Aug 27 by rbee

His pace causes defenders problems but his end product could be better. We could be talking about Armstrong or Smythe.

Out of the two I prefer Smythe but can't see anyone giving us 3 million for him.

I like Smyth and he can cut it at this level, does get assists and goals and is an outlet also.

He is a frustrating player as his final ball is always rushed and it seems always he lacks the ability to see where it's best to place it.

But yes is Championship standard. A better performer and more available than Dozzell, Thomas, Amos, Kakay, etc...

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Smyth on 09:45 - Aug 27 with 500 viewsCiderwithRsie

A lot of people are making pretty much the same points on the pro- and anti- sides, it's a classic half-full/half-empty argument. We can all agree he's not the full pint.

Lots depend on what you think the alternative is - I don't suppose many of us expect QPR to pull a more complete player out of the transfer market. (In fact a lot of people here are getting scared about spending money at all) so I think the question is not so much the known quantity of Smyth but the unknowns: will Saito or Kolli establish themselves? Will Chair stay? If so, I see Smyth dropping back to being a squad player and impact sub (handy to eg run at the oppo in the last quarter if we're defending a lead and getting tired).

If Chair goes and at least one of Saito and Kolli don't look clearly better than Smyth then I see Dembele taking over from Chair (rather than Willock) and Smyth starting regularly with the other two in the squad/sub role. I'd expect Andersen to be quite important in that scenario too.

I hope it's the former but TBH I've seen worse play for QPR than the latter.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024