Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FA Cup Record 18:13 - Jan 6 with 9732 viewsdalelee

Reaching the 4th round 4 times in the past 5 seasons is a fantastic achievement.

Surely this is the best record in our history? It must also compare favourably with other lower division clubs?

I really hope we now get a plum tie. Rochdale vs Liverpool/Man C/Man U live on the beeb on Friday night would be amazing.
FA Cup Record on 23:40 - Jan 7 with 1818 viewspioneer

FA Cup Record on 23:04 - Jan 7 by TVOS1907

I can only choose the years in which we've reached round four!

Regardless of how seriously the big clubs take the competition, there is a much larger disparity between them and Dale now than there was in the first few seasons (1914/15, 1970/71 & 1989/90) we reached 'the last 32'; in other words, pre-Premier League.

There's even a bigger disparity now than when we did it in 2002/03.

And there's even a big disparity between Dale and the Championship clubs, one of whom beat us last year and are now in the Premier League!

The competition as a whole is much more difficult for clubs like Dale and for most clubs outside the likes of United, City, Spurs and Chelsea. Look back at the 70s and 80s and see how many different (or new) finalists there were and compare that to how many there have been, say, in the last 15 years.

And even when clubs like Arsenal rotate their squads, they still field a large number of internationals or players with top flight experience.

I think Dale's achievement in reaching round four for the fourth time in five years, on what is a much less even playing field than it once was, should be celebrated and not belittled.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2018 23:08]

I am not belittling it, nor am I belittling the teams who have reached the last 32 of the cup previously, once as a non league team, though never four times in five years. That is a fantastic record.

Each time we have reached the last 32 is an achievement to be celebrated and lets not belittle the achievements of previous teams. If it was so much easier to do in previous times, how come we went from 1915 to 1971 without managing it? We had some good teams during that 56 year period.
FA Cup Record on 23:42 - Jan 7 with 1816 viewsTVOS1907

FA Cup Record on 23:40 - Jan 7 by pioneer

I am not belittling it, nor am I belittling the teams who have reached the last 32 of the cup previously, once as a non league team, though never four times in five years. That is a fantastic record.

Each time we have reached the last 32 is an achievement to be celebrated and lets not belittle the achievements of previous teams. If it was so much easier to do in previous times, how come we went from 1915 to 1971 without managing it? We had some good teams during that 56 year period.

We didn’t in the 1930s...

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

FA Cup Record on 00:08 - Jan 8 with 1787 viewskiwidale

FA Cup Record on 19:37 - Jan 7 by DaleiLama

I find the invective you bring to the forum extremely unpleasant and distasteful. You seem to be a very angry person who wishes to agitate other posters to encourage conflict. I'll save you the bother with me. I'll block your comments after I've posted this - never had to do that with another poster until now. No need to reply as I won't see it. Please block me too. As you pointed out, it's okay.

Simply put Iknoweverything is a t'wat! or troll in internet speak. I was suspicious of him from his first post I believe he is someone within the club.

This is not the time for bickering.

FA Cup Record on 06:39 - Jan 8 with 1722 viewsDiddyDave

FA Cup Record on 14:03 - Jan 7 by pioneer

I think we made the equivalent of the fourth round, that is the last 32, back in 1914 or thereabouts. I am away at the moment so cannot check. We lost to Oldham, i think 3-0 when they were one of the top teams.

Yes,Dale made the last 32,but only had to win one game to get there. Hardly the same is it?
FA Cup Record on 06:49 - Jan 8 with 1712 viewsTVOS1907

FA Cup Record on 06:39 - Jan 8 by DiddyDave

Yes,Dale made the last 32,but only had to win one game to get there. Hardly the same is it?

They didn’t, actually, as they also had to get through three qualifying rounds, beating Stalybridge, Hartlepool and Watford, although what level those teams were back then is anybody’s guess.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2018 13:35]

FA Cup Record on 07:37 - Jan 8 with 1678 viewsDiddyDave

Ah,well I guess four wins are four wins then. Of course a lot of clubs would`ve been decimated by blokes joining up for the war,Dale included no doubt. I see that 1915 FA Cup Final was the last for four years or so. Wonder how many players never came back,poor buggers.
FA Cup Record on 07:41 - Jan 8 with 1670 viewsEllDale

No charabancs back then so it would have a long way to or from Watford on the train in wartime conditions.
FA Cup Record on 11:33 - Jan 8 with 1595 viewspioneer

FA Cup Record on 06:49 - Jan 8 by TVOS1907

They didn’t, actually, as they also had to get through three qualifying rounds, beating Stalybridge, Hartlepool and Watford, although what level those teams were back then is anybody’s guess.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2018 13:35]

All three teams were original members of the third divisions north or south after the war so they must have been prominent non league teams at the time...at least as prominent as slough and bromley are now.
Login to get fewer ads

FA Cup Record on 11:42 - Jan 8 with 1581 viewsTVOS1907

FA Cup Record on 11:33 - Jan 8 by pioneer

All three teams were original members of the third divisions north or south after the war so they must have been prominent non league teams at the time...at least as prominent as slough and bromley are now.

I think non-league football is a completely different animal now to what it was in 1914! How many full-time clubs are there in the National League or lower, for example?

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:42 - Jan 8 with 1581 viewsTVOS1907

FA Cup Record on 11:33 - Jan 8 by pioneer

FA Cup Record on 13:27 - Jan 8 with 1484 viewsdingdangblue

FA Cup Record on 12:05 - Jan 7 by TVOS1907

Seven now.

And we've never been drawn away in the 4th round!

71 Colchester h
90 Northampton h
03 Coventry h
14 Sheffield Weds h
15 Stoke h
17 Huddersfield h
18 ?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

FA Cup Record on 15:12 - Jan 8 with 1425 viewspioneer

FA Cup Record on 11:42 - Jan 8 by TVOS1907

I think non-league football is a completely different animal now to what it was in 1914! How many full-time clubs are there in the National League or lower, for example?

OK, so it must have been an absolute walk in the park to reach the last 32 then, so much so i am surprised only 32 of the hundreds of clubs who entered actually managed it. Still dont understand how the strong teams we had in the 1920s and late 1940s never managed it if it was such a cakewalk.

No doubt having survived the massive test of games against Bromley, slough and doncaster the remaining 31 teams will be quaking in their boots at drawing us. This is much more of an acievement than in the past ...you have convinced me.
(No subject) (n/t) on 15:22 - Jan 8 with 1411 viewsTVOS1907

FA Cup Record on 15:12 - Jan 8 by pioneer

OK, so it must have been an absolute walk in the park to reach the last 32 then, so much so i am surprised only 32 of the hundreds of clubs who entered actually managed it. Still dont understand how the strong teams we had in the 1920s and late 1940s never managed it if it was such a cakewalk.

No doubt having survived the massive test of games against Bromley, slough and doncaster the remaining 31 teams will be quaking in their boots at drawing us. This is much more of an acievement than in the past ...you have convinced me.

FA Cup Record on 15:22 - Jan 8 with 1411 viewsTVOS1907

Now you're just being silly.

I never mentioned phrases like 'walk in the park' or 'cakewalk', but it's well-known that the non-league game now is much more structured, organised and professional than it was back in the day, as indeed the Football League is.

I can't answer why the teams of the 1920s and 1940s didn't do better in the FA Cup. Maybe the draws were unkind to us; maybe we just didn't play well enough; maybe we were unlucky; maybe we put out weakened teams; maybe the opponents were better on the day; maybe we didn't take it seriously enough; who knows?

We can only beat what's put in front of us, so why try to belittle, which is what you're doing, our progress thus far?

FA Cup Record on 17:19 - Jan 8 with 1353 viewspioneer

FA Cup Record on 15:22 - Jan 8 by TVOS1907

Now you're just being silly.

I never mentioned phrases like 'walk in the park' or 'cakewalk', but it's well-known that the non-league game now is much more structured, organised and professional than it was back in the day, as indeed the Football League is.

I can't answer why the teams of the 1920s and 1940s didn't do better in the FA Cup. Maybe the draws were unkind to us; maybe we just didn't play well enough; maybe we were unlucky; maybe we put out weakened teams; maybe the opponents were better on the day; maybe we didn't take it seriously enough; who knows?

We can only beat what's put in front of us, so why try to belittle, which is what you're doing, our progress thus far?

No I am not belittling it - getting to the last 32 is a great achievement whenever we have achieved it. And it is no more difficult now than it was in previous years. Each time is equally impressive so lets not understate or dismiss the achievements of the past.

And lets hope we go on to make the last 16 for only the third time in our history, but it will be as hard to do that now as it was on the two previous occasions.
FA Cup Record on 17:37 - Jan 8 with 1320 viewsRAFCBLUE

The rule giving teams in the top two divisions a 3rd round start came in 1925/26 will have something to do with the swing back towards the established teams.

If you look at the teams that exited us in the 1920's it was:

20/21 - Plymouth
21/22 - Nelson
23/24 - Accrington Stanley
24/25 - Norwich City
25/26 - Chilton Colliery Recreation
26/27 - Accrington Stanley
28/29 - Chesterfield
29/30 - Accrington Stanley

The post-WW2 1940's and early 1950's was slightly better:
45/46 - Bury (in our first third-round appearance)
46/47 - Charlton Athletic (3rd round)
47/48 - Gillingham (2nd round)
48/49 - Barrow (1st round)
49/50 - Notts County (2nd round)
50/51 - Chelsea (3rd round)
51/52 - Leeds United (3rd round)
52/53 - Bradford Park Avenue (1st round)

I'm with TVOS in suspecting that we didn't have as great a team as you might remember!

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

FA Cup Record on 18:01 - Jan 8 with 1279 viewspioneer

FA Cup Record on 17:37 - Jan 8 by RAFCBLUE

The rule giving teams in the top two divisions a 3rd round start came in 1925/26 will have something to do with the swing back towards the established teams.

If you look at the teams that exited us in the 1920's it was:

20/21 - Plymouth
21/22 - Nelson
23/24 - Accrington Stanley
24/25 - Norwich City
25/26 - Chilton Colliery Recreation
26/27 - Accrington Stanley
28/29 - Chesterfield
29/30 - Accrington Stanley

The post-WW2 1940's and early 1950's was slightly better:
45/46 - Bury (in our first third-round appearance)
46/47 - Charlton Athletic (3rd round)
47/48 - Gillingham (2nd round)
48/49 - Barrow (1st round)
49/50 - Notts County (2nd round)
50/51 - Chelsea (3rd round)
51/52 - Leeds United (3rd round)
52/53 - Bradford Park Avenue (1st round)

I'm with TVOS in suspecting that we didn't have as great a team as you might remember!

for every chilton colliery there an FC United or a forest green rovers. Try looking at our league records in the mid 20s and late 40s if you dont believe we were a good team.
FA Cup Record on 18:50 - Jan 8 with 1223 viewsfitzochris

FA Cup Record on 18:01 - Jan 8 by pioneer

for every chilton colliery there an FC United or a forest green rovers. Try looking at our league records in the mid 20s and late 40s if you dont believe we were a good team.

I don’t think anybody is belittling the achievements of teams of yesteryear. I took it that TVOS was merely referencing the FA Cup fourth round as we know it now.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

FA Cup Record on 20:03 - Jan 8 with 1139 viewsTVOS1907

FA Cup Record on 18:50 - Jan 8 by fitzochris

I don’t think anybody is belittling the achievements of teams of yesteryear. I took it that TVOS was merely referencing the FA Cup fourth round as we know it now.

Correct, seeing as that was the original question, before the debate went off course.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024